Sub 3

Comments

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Yes Miss!

Dachs, 2:37 (A) / 2:39:59 (B), blue (Champs)
    Le Jimbob 2:59 Rouge (Paris)
    PhilPub, 2:59, green #27081
    Pi Man, 2:58, red
    Yasunaga, 2:43, red (FGFA)

• TippTopTippTop ✭✭✭

Well done on bagging the 20 selbs and hopefully the soreness dissipates quickly.

Sounds like fun SL.

Good dedication/combination of training and fun Tmoth. I don't/can't do pre-race breakfast. Just coffee. And something like SiS Go (aka PSP22) if it's a marathon.

PP - I like the Waitrose black pepper and nutmeg ones. Very tasty.

It sounds like you're in good shape bainspj.

Very nice training MrB!

Yes, this thread loves lists as Jools said, but do make sure to order them to satisfy the OCD-afflicted amongst usimage

14m for me at lunchtime. Kept it very relaxed and bimbled around. It only struck me yesterday that I am starting to think about my Mara now as most of you are starting to taper for yours..........

• bainspjbainspj ✭✭✭

Bainspj ... 2:44 (a) 2:50 (b), red FGFA ,#31013

Dachs, 2:37 (A) / 2:39:59 (B), blue (Champs)
    Le Jimbob 2:59 Rouge (Paris)
    PhilPub, 2:59, green #27081
    Pi Man, 2:58, red
    Yasunaga, 2:43, red (FGFA)

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

Bainspj 2:44 (a) 2:50 (b), red fgfa ,#31013
    Dachs 2:37 (A) / 2:39:59 (B), blue (Champs)
    Le Jimbob 2:59, rouge (Paris)
    PhilPub 2:59, green, #27081
    Pi Man 2:58, red fgfa, #31153
    Yasunaga 2:43, red fgfa

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Yay, a list, it's been a while!

bainspj (and other confused people) - yes, it's duathlon, so 10k run, 40k bike, 5k run.

PP - yes, you definitely want to be in the north. We stayed in Port de Pollensa last year, loads of good routes in the mountains from there. Plus you're right next to Formentor, so if you get back and don't feel tired enough, you can do a cheeky 2M climb to finish youself off. I can send you the route we did on my penultimate day - just over 100M, basically consisting of a bit of flat and then 5 big climbs and 5 descents. Sa Calobra is amazing - unfortunately we did it after about 5 hours of riding and I was suffering a fair bit!

Even if you go on your own you should be able to find others to cycle with as there are loads of groups out there.

Legs are feeling a bit battered today. Need to sort them out before 10 day skiing trip on Wednesday (much more important than running/cycling!).

• PP - back to Mallorca: Alcudia/Puerto Pollenca is a good base for cycling (Pollenca is a bit smarter than Alcudia and has some nice restaurants, which I know are your thing!).  There are some good bike shops in Puerto Pollenca if you fancy hiring rather than taking your own.  Very good road bikes, not your usual seaside resort hire bikes.  If you book in advance and send measurements they'll set it up for you before you get there.  From there you've got the climbs to the west over to Soller and beyond, or some flatter routes to the south. 

Soller is another good base, but from there it's up in any direction.  Great if you like climbing (and going very fast downhill too, obviously) but not so great if you fancy an easier day at any point.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Padams / CD - Great stuff, cheers. Port de Pollenca sounds like a good call.  Not this route by any chance, Padams?  Thought I might give this a crack once I've got a few miles in my legs, perhaps the day after the rest day!  Despite being paranoid about it going missing en route I'm pretty sure I want to take my own bike out there, even if it ends up costing more than bike hire.

• I've done something similar to that route PP, although I'd skip the section west of Bunyola (the first part is a bit featureless and the coast road can be a bit busy traffic-wise) and head north from Bunyola over the Col De Soller (there's a road tunnel under the Col so the road over it is almost traffic-free) and add a return trip down to Sa Calobra instead.

• TmothTmoth ✭✭✭

Thanks all for breakfast examples (maketh one hungrier than ever!) – a full range of answers as expected! PP  - I naively have been making the assumption that adding the gels / whatever on race day would be advantageous after training on ‘empty’ / night before meals throughout. Though I was planning to practice the strategy whatever it maybe in the next few weeks. Generally in the past gels have made me feel distinctly ill for a good few post race hours so the idea of having none is rather tempting.....scary but tempting.... on the other hand A.W – thats some feed!

I like this list game, can I play can I play??

Tmoth – (A) TBC pending greed/fitness/fear levels  / 2:59:59 (B) (Belfast May 5th)

kowtow

• Have been putting off setting firm targets, its feeling ever so close now its written down!   A.W 2:44.59 (a) / 2:49.59 (b), red fgfa #31745
  • I buggered that up!

A.W 2:44.59 (a) / 2:49.59 (b), red fgfa #31745
    Tmoth – (A) TBC pending greed/fitness/fear levels  / 2:59:59 (B) (Belfast May 5th)

• Oh? are we doing A's 'n' B's times?

Le Jimbob (A) 2:59 (B) 3.02 (C) PB sub3:05:37 Rouge (Paris)

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I'm sure these lists have always been quickest at the top in the past.

• BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Ooh a list;

Bedders - 2:59:59 (Orange start 'Corral #1 in Milan)

followed by

London - Pacing at 3:30 but have no idea of pen/colour as haven't had my pack through yet. PP, do Runners World sort this for us or will I come direct from VLM? I assume mine's not arrived with me been roped in to pace at such a late stage...

• nichs2nichs2 ✭✭✭

Ha! Where's Johnny?

Nichs (A) make the start line

• TRTR ✭✭✭

The johnny's show up when the rankings get posted after VLM (or at least when they used to get posted). I'm impressed that some of you can remember your numbers already.

Bufo - you are fast !

Dachs - so are you, top work, you must be sub 2:40 fit by a large measure.

MrB - I noted your Bath time (1/2 time, not the time you get in the tub), excellent, I suggest you find Ode and chase after him.

Just a swim and a bike commute for me today, I've finished playing catch up, I need to freshen up my legs and work out what I think I can chase pace wise. I think I'll try an ~MP effort run on Weds and see what it turns up (not sure I really want to know but think I should know).

• Yay is it that time already? I'm abandoning multiple possibilities and just going to try for the one: win or bust.

HR 2:44, red fgfa, #32515

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Bedders - I had the mag through last week, then a second letter with a revised number at the weekend. It came direct from VLM but if you've not had anything I suggest chasing RW.

Go on HR!!
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

PiMan -- I prefer gels over luco sport because the gels are _caffeinated_ -- just might help.

bainspj -- your weekend's training sounds highly satisfactory.

Nice to hear from you, on good form too MrB -- impressive mileage.

Oh OK I'll crack and concede that 2:40 is possible, though a minute or two over feels more likely this time:

CharlieW 2:39:59 (a) 2:42 (b) blue #637
    HR 2:44, red fgfa, #32515

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

BTW just watched this, on 'glider' versus 'gazelle' running style in triathletes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJWPwVF30yo -- it could have been edited down to half the length, but the gist of it is that at moderate pace, you can either have fast cadence and not fly far, or slow cadence, fly higher and land harder; but at fast pace, only the latter works. Going from a high cadence style to a longer-flying, harder-landing style is exactly what I did a few years ago, which made me instantly about 5% faster... though I noticed in my recent HM pictures, hardly any had me flying. Maybe the squashy shoes make me more of a "glider"?

• CD - I doubt very much I said that about Overall. I'm not aware he's ever done a decent run - he's certainly not done a decent marathon has he? Certainly not in recent years.

Managed to fuck my foot up tonight. A re- occurrence of what kept me out for 3 weeks. I'll be more conservative this time so I only miss a few days (I hope )!

HR - I think you may be being quite conservative with your target there.
  • Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭
    Mr Boat wrote (see)

I'm sure these lists have always been quickest at the top in the past.

CharlieW 2:39:59 (a) 2:42 (b) blue #637
    HR 2:44, red fgfa, #32515
    A.W 2:44.59 (a) / 2:49.59 (b), red fgfa #31745
    Tmoth – (A) TBC pending greed/fitness/fear levels / 2:59:59 (B) (Belfast May 5th)
    Le Jimbob (A) 2:59 (B) 3.02 (C) PB sub 3:05:37 Rouge (Paris)

Bedders - your training runs and 36min 10k suggest you'll be nearer 2:55 I reckon!

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

PP - more or less, but you need to add in Sa Calobra to make it properly epic! It's an out and back to the coast (dead end road), about 10k each way. So basically 10k averaging 6% downhill, you hit the coast and you have to climb back up to get home. And we didn't do the south west bit and did the nice Soller climb as CD said.

Just an easy 5M last night - legs actually felt ok once I got going but didn't want to push it.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Padams/CD - No danger of me missing out on Sa Calobra, as it was the first thing I saw when googling pics of Mallorca.  Looks absolutely awesome.  If only the hills of the North Downs had an average gradient of 6% and went on for miles. (I suppose Box Hill is about as close as we get, but I'd have to do it a few times!) Oh well, should be a good Summer of training for it anyway.

(BTW, I have been to Mallorca before but it was a brief couple of days staying in Palma for a work jolly, with a small hike on one day and a visit to Magaluf in the evening.  **shudder**  image )

This just in:  Green start... green flag!

• Hello again all, nice tergats being posted.. I'm sticking with the 'does what it says on the tin' 2:59 London prediction for me! Possible plan B is to finish on the 13th of April by midnight!

Interesting video Charlie W. I've been trying to work on my seemingly excessive vertical oscillation (9.4-10.4cms) since getting the Garmin 620 and getting nowhere! I think I'm just destined to be a Gazelle! If only I could run as fast as a gazelle!
  • Dan you may be right. I'd love to do 2:3x but that's a very tall order off the HM time - about a minute or two off by most calculators. So I think if I aim first half at just under 82 I'll take it from there. I'm probably 'really' aiming for 2:43 but if I get too greedy it would be easy to blow it completely?

• Pi ManPi Man ✭✭✭

on the injury front, glute/hip thing clearing up but foot injury a bit worse, thought it was PF but it's a tibialis posterior injury - pain is on the inside (medial) arch of one foot only, no calf pain. I'll do some heel raises, ice it if I cba, and maybe even try a basic foot arch support from Boots - if anyone else has had this would welcome any tips/advice.

Phil ... you appear to have head LICE .... hoping I don't see you en route but what xx do you think you'll be aiming for in 2:59:xx?

HR - sounds a sensible start, getting a Champs time is a big deal.

• Looks like a few of us could end up running with each other if we bring our A race with us.

CharlieW 2:39:59 (a) 2:42 (b) blue #637                                                                Sweedo 2:42 (a), 2:44.59 (b) red fgfa
    HR 2:44, red fgfa, #32515
    A.W 2:44.59 (a) / 2:49.59 (b), red fgfa #31745
    Tmoth – (A) TBC pending greed/fitness/fear levels / 2:59:59 (B) (Belfast May 5th)
    Le Jimbob (A) 2:59 (B) 3.02 (C) PB sub 3:05:37 Rouge (Paris)

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Pi Man - I'm thinking 2:59:00, basically.  Most sub-3 aspirants' chip times will still be on 2:58.xx if they're with me; on the other hand I want to keep that minute in hand over the last few miles for those who are beginning to find it tough and need that mental cushion, so they can afford to fade as late as possible but still reach target.

And am I right in saying that all champs times are on gun?  So a female aiming for sub-3 off champs start will want to get in under 3:00 on gun time?  This is important.  image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Morning! No, they give you both, Phil, but there'll only be 10 secs difference if that.

Edit: that is, if you were actually trying to win the championship I imagine it'd be gun time. But if you were trying to get sub 3 for your own personal satisfaction, not that I necessarily am, you get a chip time too.