Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PMJ, you set your stall out a year ago on your VLM plans and have probably stuck to them more conistently than anybody on thread- without serious injuries and looking well on target.

Talking of food, I ate a large breakfast at the hotel today with another big meal and wine planned this evening- my gut is starting to feel like a barrel of lard...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Ant - the last couple of pairs I had of version 8 felt small and beat my toes up a bit on longer runs, this was fixed when version 9 came along. I cant get anymore version 9's so had to get some 10's, they have gone back to being a bit snug again and my toes were a bit beat up after Sundays 22. I will order a pair a 1/2 size bigger and hope to get enough miles on them before VLM, the smaller pair can be used through the summer (when 12M is a long run) and I'll pack the VLM ones away until the next mara campaign comes along again.

• 10x400 tonight at 1:22 to 1:25's, good effort and into taper madness! 

• Stop eating cake everyone! You don't need extra lard on you on marathon day!

Not eating cake produced my fastest ever reps on the long course this evening by quite some margin. And they felt easy. I didn't believe the stopwatch, but my Garmin concurred. 10.22 for the second rep (of 1.75 miles). My previous fastest (before rep 1 today) was 10.38.That's a massive confidence boost, and quite astounding following my huge weekend of running.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SB - "What doesn't help is keeping to the lower miles and slower speeds". Are you still doing the same intensity of faster stuff in your sessions? How much are you cutting back the mileage. Interesting stuff about this on MT last week.
    Ant - hope you can do just enough to tick over without pushing yourself over the edge. Nice colour shoes.
    Abbers - good consistent reps.
    Poacher - but is she telling the truth?
    Rich - good intervals.
    Speedy - very fast impressive stuff  - how many reps did you do in total?
    Let them eat cake, I say.
    4 mile recovery run d&d.

• Speedy - mightily impressive improvement and cracking speed. As you say, a real confidence booster.

Abbers - don't worry. Those look like pretty good reps to me. 

GM - yum yum ref beetroot juice, but I just go for the 1L carton from Sainsburys which lasts a good 5 or 6 glasses worth and it always seems much cheaper than buying individual shots. That offer looks pretty good so I might have to get my calculator out. Interesting to see that Beet It have brought out a beetroot and ginger drink for "those who don't really like the taste of beetroot". As I love the taste of ginger, this could well be worth a go!

For some reason I had put 6 miles at 7:30 on the schedule yesterday but it felt as though this was neither hard enough to be of benefit, nor easy enough to be a true recovery so I ended up going for 6 at 7:15. 

Rest today as I'm heading up to the North West (combo of Manchester, Southport, Blackpool and Preston - life doesn't get any more glamorous than this!)

Where's the list gone - does it need updating?

• Ant - forgot to say that it would be great to have you on the sub-3:10 train.

I'm hoping / planning on 8 x 22 min 5Ks (although 4 x 44 min 10Ks sounds more doable!) which if delivered would get me to 40K in 2:56 but I'm allowing for a bit of fade.

Which start are you going off?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Poacher - the explanation from "Die Tanz-Fraulein" is disappointingly mundane! As long as her antics continue to amuse though, that's the main thing. Oh, nice running too.

AR & OO-51 being very forum-spirited and consuming surplus calories so we don't have to.

Good intervals from Rich, and stunning ones from Speedy.

Recovery miles noted for Gul.

Lorenzo - nice 6 at something close to mara pace. Enjoy your national tour! Are t-shirts available? image

Good point about the list too. I need to commit on a proper target.

• 17 this morning to back up Sunday's 20. 7:36 pace but pace was up and down all over the pace as I was on road for some and off road or other parts.

I was thinking 20 backed up with a 17 three days later was good but at the weekend, Steve Way won the New Forest 50k in 3:20 (and won by over 32 minutes!) and padded it to a 40 miler and then on Sunday he backed it up with 26.2 in 2:59:05.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

PMJ-Nice long runs , Steve way is in a different league image

For me ,5 miles @ 9 min pace plodding pace  this morn backing up yesterdays 8 slow image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Before Speedy gets there first, I feel compelled to point out that it's (counter-intuitively) 'das Fräulein'.

Sorry. image

• PMJ  - I actually really envy you those miles.

Poacher - I hope you established some form of anschluss and didn't go for the old pincer movement.etc. etc. and so on.

Great reps Rich and Speedy.

Lorenzo - That cake of yours seems to be rising nicely. I'm off the Red GFA start, which means I'll see you at about km 5! That plan sounds good. We can chase Lit down while seeing what the physio has done to her posterior.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

PMJ - certainly no shortage of mileage in your campaign. Marigold is a bit of a local legend in these parts, not being too far from Bournemouth. His ultra adventures are even more impressive than his marathon ones, and he turned out to be pretty bliddy good at that!

Leslie - finding it difficult to control your paces, or is it a relief to be running easier?

Lit - did you know you had marathon stalkers?image

5 easy for me.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yes, and facilitated by champs runners having to wear their numbers on their backs too! I may also be accompanied by a Goth, though she will probably turn out to be too Speedy for me, judging by last night's reps.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Bitte entschuldigen sie, I did Greek/Latin at school. Boy have they been useful.

Lit - I wouldn't worry about the stalkers, you will hear the wheezing and spluttering from some distance and find a way to avoid them. Actually just avoid men in head-to-toe orange kit.

Nice run PMJ & others

8m on the dreadie after work, soooooo boring. Today's #gymfail was the lady who draped the towel over the control panel, sure enough it worked free and fell onto the belt, then sped backwards taking one of her feet with it. She recovered like a polar bear trying to stand up on sheet ice. But it could have been nasty.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Mar 29 - Eco Trail de Paris 80Km - SJ - uninjured completion 
    Apr 6 - Lochaber Mara - Rich26 - Sub 3:15
    Apr 6 - Brighton Mara - FINgers  TBC - Sporty Badger sub-3.20 
    Apr 6 - Paris mara - Mennania - Sub 3 
    Apr 6 - Manchester mara - knight rider - Sub 3
    Apr 6 - Jersey Spring 10k - GM sub 40. 
    Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, Ant - sub 3, Bike It - 3:14:59, Lorenzo sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles, CC2 2.59.59, - literatin - sub 3:05
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes 
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr sub 3:15 
    Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher - Bike It sub 8:20 
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H 
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning
    June 8 - RunJersey half marathon - GM sub 1:28 
    July - Thunder Run - Minni 
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx 
    October - Yorkshire marathon - Minni TBC
    October 5 - Jersey marathon - GM sub 3:10.
    October 19 - Abingdon Marathon - MsE - to get to the start line injury-free

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Poacher - Good man at retrieving the list once more and regaling us with some more gym madness. A work colleague of mine told me the other day there was a woman who was on a treadmill and she had all manner of paraphernalia on top of the machine and had her smart phone head phones on and guess what, she somehow managed to drop it and it ended up inside the housing unit of the machine! Ffs that is so dumb & incredibly embarrasing. Another reason why not to wear head phones when running. I know some of you on here will disagree, maybe many will, but I see folk everyday walking to work along the promenade weaving all over the shop and they have no idea what the heck is going on around them it baffles me, I love music but am not that desperate to listen to it every time I wander somewhere. Right, rant over, no running today, right half (knee, ankle, calf and achilles) seems to be talking to me again and misbehaving, not impressed. And I am not even marathon training, just as well.

Lit - Haven't you and Speedy got almost identical recent half marathon times? Are you still hoping for sub 3:05 or quicker??

• When I were a nipper, it was much simpler to copy the VLM list in the same format. How do you do it these days??image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - I believe it's copy & paste and then shift + enter to add a new line and keep the spacing police happy!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Surely anyone who can add, subtract or divide by 13.1, 21.1, 26.2, 42.2 or fractions thereof, using a counting system based on 60ths rather than the familiar base of 10, while running fast, can cut and paste a few lines of text.....

Tonight's other #gymfail has just come back to me.  Couldn't quite believe I was seeing the bloke on the next treadie do a mile or so of warm up while clutching his meat'n'two veg through his rather brief shorts.  Not a pretty sight. And slightly embarrassing for the ladies present. WTF?  Had he unwisely gone commando and found that there was too much movement, as it were?  Checking out tomorrow, thankfully.  image

• Ha ha Poacher, the #gymfails are amazing. Surely most people would move to an alternative exercise rather than cupping their own bits. Funny though. My one treadmill fail was last year, I have a treadmill at home, one night I couldn't find my trainers so I thought I would just jump on in my socks. All was fine for a mile or so, then realised my feet felt really hot, really really hot. I stopped, then the pain set in. Reckon I took 3/4 of the skin layers of the bottom of my feet. Hurt for days! Plonker. 

10 days to go which means I can start eating (more) crap and put it all under the guise of carb loading.

After a couple of days rest my adductor(?) is hurting a lot less (ok, barely at all). TBH I am amazed as I was struggling to walk anything like in a normal way a couple of days ago. I don't know whether the guy sticking his fingers right where it hurt and holding it there and charging £40 for the pleasure helped or not, but it was worth it either way. I am no longer going to moan about what now appears to be a mediumish niggle when other people (AR for example, hope it works out for you!) are having a much harder time of it.

Everyone else seems to be getting some really good runs in. Great stuff. Nigglemania also seems to be calming down a bit here too which is good....

• All right, all right - at home on Windows Explorer it didn't work, o.k.? Jesus...

Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, CC2 2.59.59, Literatin - sub 3:05, Lorenzo, Ant - sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Bike It - 3:14:59,  Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles

• I can't do a #gymfail but earlier this week I passed by a couple of larger men running (more power to them for actually being out in the first place) and I heard them say "oh, he has luminous glovers on, wonder if that is what makes him so fast"

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

This was the key advice of a dear friend with whom I used to run a lot, and who died too early: 'find a nice bum and follow it'.  Also, 'it doesn't always hurt more to run faster'.  Both excellent tips.

Apr 13 - VLM - PMJ - 2.4x, CC2 2.59.59, Literatin - sub 3:05, Lorenzo, Ant - sub 3:10, Minni - 3:12, Marrows, Bike It - 3:14:59,  Abbers, Poacher - TBA, AR - get past 16 miles
    May 18 - Richmond Park marathon - Marrows no target

• Just got some rather strange looks for laughing out loud (is that LOL in today's parlance?) on the train at the 2 most recent #gymfails, then wincing at Tarts' experience.

Have had to revise my VLM race plan to the following:

Start - 5K: cover in 22 mins

5-10k: try and spot tall bloke in dayglo orange kit and green shoes staring intently at ladies' buttocks

10K onwards: get back on track 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marrows - are you on the green start?
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Abbers wrote (see)

Leslie - finding it difficult to control your paces, or is it a relief to be running easier?

Got a half mara on saturday so been putting the miles in early in the week  , 16m sun, 10m mon , 8m tues, 5m today image Legs far from recovered though as last week was very tough plus,been up and down ladders today and that annoys my knee image

• Luckily I am doing my laughing out loud in the privacy of my own home!

Lit and I do indeed have near identical recent HM PBs. In theory Lit should actually be able to take a great big chunk off her marathon PB, as her 3.06 was her debut. I, on the other hand, am chipping away and chipping away. This is marathon no. 9. I reckon we'll be racing eachother down the Mall with the clock on 2.58.xx. image

• Only managed 4 tonight! although I was pushing my 1 year old! 9mm average, tired tonight after 5:30mm reps last night! I should have taken it easier!!

keep going all not long to go!!

• Blimey, the girls are showing the way this year. I am going to have to do some serious sleuthing before we enter that pre-race phase known to all and sundry as the "Guess the time Sweepstake".

Of course, the flip side is the "Get your excuse in early". That sounds like a good one to start with.