What if it's raining on marathon day?

Despite living in Manchester it doesn't always rain here and it's very rare that I have trained in the rain. Where I have and it's a bit uncomfortable I'd just cut it short and run home.

But I've put in a lot of work for my spring marathon and I'm going to be at the start line rain or shine. I confess I don't know what I should be wearing if I get up on the day and it's raining. Do I get a runner's rain top just in case? Or do you just wear your normal gear and grin and bear it? What do people do?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Doing some of your long runs in the rain is all part of the training.

It helps you to figure out which items of clothing may cause chafing.

I don't usually struggle in the dry but when it pours I do get a couple of extra "hot spots".

I'd stick with running in your normal gear as you will get too hot in a jacket. Take a bin bag to the start to make a disposable waterproof top.
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have a couple of pairs of shorts that only chafe in the pissing rain. I'm glad I know about that now and not on a rainy race day!

• Normal kit. London is always warmer than your training runs - and you're racing - not doing a LSR.
  • I have one t-shirt that gives me sore nipples in the rain - won't be wearing that.

Only issue I have is with my favorite long run socks - they do seem to hold water and can feel a bit squelchy in heavy rain.

• REMREM ✭✭✭

I agree with Cougie, if you're concentrating on racing you won't notice the rain.  I would welcome a bit of cooling rain.  A better course now the bit round the Tower Thistle Hotel has gone - slipped on the tiles on the old course - ouch!. 

I think it being sunny is far more worrying!

• The only problem with rain is if you're a glasses- wearer- then you need to wear something to keep the water off your lenses, or get some contact lenses- otherwise- it will keep you cool- much better than running on a blazing hot day!. Bin bag/ old throw away tshirt whilst waiting at the start is a good idea.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Rain is fine. Wind is your enemy. Unless it's behind you. If looking like going to be wet make sure you grease up to prevent chafing; and have some dry clothes to get changed into asap at the finish especially if also cold.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

I would suggest that with the wet and windy winter we've had, if you haven't got wet on numerous occasions you probably haven't done enough training.

• If its the VLM you're planning, rain will be a blessing!  Its always warmer than predicted and the past 3 years I've come away with sunburn!  Normal kit, maybe a cap to keep the rain out of your eyes.  Put dry kit in your bag, it will feel like heaven afterwards.

I'd take rain over 20 degrees plus any day.

• Stick to what you have trained for. It it rains, cut it short and go home.

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Stick to what you have trained for. It it rains, cut it short and go home.

Or head to the nearest pub.  The route map shows you where they all are.

• How can you not have got wet with the recent weather? Seem to have done most of my training in wet and windy weather which when not it all feels so much easier.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Rain is fine.

Er... I think there are some basics of weather that you've not quite grasped.

• Dave928Dave928 ✭✭✭

Well it rained today while on a 13-miler and I lived so now I know I'm good to go. It really hasn't rained all that much up here in Manchester recently (believe it or not) and I don't train every day of the week so I've mostly avoided it.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

It may not have rained recently but most have been training since December and we've all definitely had a few 'showers' since then....good luck anyway and don't worry, it won't rain; you're more likely to need sun block.

• You get wet? ...Skin is waterproof, and we're not made of sugar, so no big drama.

• LS21LS21 ✭✭✭

I have it on very good authority that if there's a chance of rain the event will be cancelled. So I wouldn't worry

• Once, it started sleeting in the middle of a marathon. Then, I was glad I had a Montane windjacket balled up in one pocket (size of a grapefruit). In the infamous Manchester of a couple of years back I kept on a binbag for quite a while. Other than those exceptional conditions I'd do what the others say. Note that if you have flappy shorts and they get sodden through then you may get chafing problems even if you don't normally have them.

• T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Yes, you might want to wear tight shorts.  No need for coats in April.  Getting cold is the enemy, not wet, which you won't get if you keep moving.  Would recommend a running cap though which makes you feel a bit more comfortable and keeps the rain out of your eyes.