RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- good luck racing tonight- despite your pains I expect you'll win a few age groups 

Oomp- is that the suicide fitness regime ?the next up from Barry's extreme fitness DVD  ?Are you aiming for a quick return to hospital ?

Ant - don't think 5k x2 will be a problem. I did a 10k a week before Liverpool and PBd in both. 

DD- not easy planning a training schedule the way you work 

Chick/DD- my Boston runners passport arrived today. Wish it was next week 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

image  Mission accomplished.  A PB by about one second [!!], first F55, negative split.

Downside:  I was passed by a 6 ft fire extinguisher   image

Interesting race - report to follow when I get back from Wales.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- really well done. Knew you'd win an age group ...hold on that's my age group were it M55image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Way to go as they say on America, O4S!! Looking forward to the report image

2old: No Boston info here but I mailed them and they replied that mine was posted on 25/3. So more patience is required :-/

Just getting ready for my last early morning 15 miler. Gosh, can't believe how fast this had come round!! Time to put Chariots of Fire back on the playlistimage
  • Neil blue - definitely wise. I'm sure my calf tear came off the back of too much 5-a-side on tired/tight legs. I haven't kicked a ball this year.

O4S - nice work!

I went to meet my friend who entered me for my VLM ballot place (without me knowing) last night, to pick up my marathon news pack. Conversation went like this:

Me - "So can you remember what estimated finishing time you put on the application?"

Her - "oh, err, about 4 hours I think. Or was it 5? Not sure"

Me - "shit".
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Jack - Ooops! I heard though that if you take a print out of a recent race result, like your HM, to the expo when you pick up your number, they might move you forward to a more suitable pen. Worth a try.

O4S - brilliant result image

Just off to do my intervals - decided it was best to squeeze them in today, and the gym opens at 7, so I can get them out of the way. 5 x 1200m before breakfast may not be pretty....;-)
  • PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Brilliant O4S congratulations

AA thought that was open water. An option for when Barry sorts his arms out 

Been lazy & not done much running this week - was supposed to run last night but visiting Boots make up dept with the daughters became a priority!

Swimming training this evening & packed running kit for a run on Blackpool beach at the weekend image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yuck, Freemers image Hope you survived.

Shit indeed, Jack ... at least the crowds will stop you from going out too fast. My one and only VLM was run off the mass start too and even though I put sub 3:45on my form I had a lot of fancy-dress style people running 5 abreast, blocking my path. My first mile was over 10mm image. I think it took me 3 miles to get into MP. But I ran two even splits image - my one and only evenly paced marathon. I usually fade by about 2mins in the 2nd half.

15 miles done. But it wasn't pretty. I hurt everywhere. Legs tired and achy, left hamstring and left knee, right hip and my lower back on the right hand side took turns rearing their ugly little heads. Bah. Av. pace 8:19 but it felt harder than my HM on Sunday. Ouch. Only 22 to get through on Sunday, then things will begin to get better.

• O4S - Congrats on the PB and win.

Jack - Try and get yourself bumped up a pen, I was in Pen 2(I put down 3:15) last year which was a little congested  but soon opened out after a mile or so.  VLM is a great day, a massive PW for me last year but loved the whole experience.

DD - Good confidence boosting 20.

Swimming practice for me yesterday, swim coach gave me stuff to do which only included legs but I gave the arms at go the end image and arrrrrrgh imagewhy it is so hard, I've spent years taking our daughters to swimming club watching them speed up and down the pool and they make it look so easy. Anyway back to something I can do this morning, 10 miles made up of  (1 slow, 1 MP, 1 HMP) x 3 and 1 mile WD. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- looks like a big final week for you so no wonder the 15 was tough. You'll be happy on Sunday after the 22.

barry- I'm enjoying not swimming ..it's pretty tedious stuff ...but it does make the runs even more enjoyable. Don't you hate how easy the kids make it look. Mine glide effortlessly at twice my speed even if they havent swum for months. Good 10 too

jack- definitely try and get a higher pen ..it will knock minutes off your finishing time . Gave advice to friends where to watch their daughter whose doing VLM..made me very jealous. Wish it was after a Boston as I'd have done both 

got my last LR out of the way today. 21.3 miles undulating/hilly (for here )7.53 mm av with last 4-5 around 7.35mm. That's 71 miles in the last 6 days including a HM . Taper starts Monday , think I'm going to miss all this. 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Nice one 2old. Welcome to the taper image

Managed 4 x 1200m in the end, just CNBA to do the last one! 6.15 pace for the last rep isn't bad for pre-breakfast image

Tomorrow will be a few easy miles, then I'm doing 15 on Sunday. I'm going to do my absolutely favourite route, undulating and some great views of the rolling Suffolk countryside. It's meant to be getting warm as well.
  • O4S- whoop whoop! Many congrats and looking forward to the report.image

2Old- Well done on the last LR. Good pace!

Ant- I don't think racing a couple of 5ks will do you any harm. It doesn't take long to recover from them and as you say they're good sharpeners.

Free- hope your early morning intervals went well. I quite like doing them before work. It means they're out of the way and I don't have to spend the rest of the day obsessing...

Chick- good run and take it easy, sounds like you need to rest.

8m for me last night on the way home from work at just under 8mm with a few @ 7.40-7.50. I didn't push the pace or look at the garmin and it felt a lot better than the last few runs so hopefully the legs are waking up a bit. Rest today and parkrun tomorrow.

• Free- x post. Well done!image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

O4S - That's brilliant!  Very well done! imageimageimage

Oh god I just don't know where I am.  image  So the great run on Monday was followed by feeling rough on Tuesday, so nothing.  5.4 miles on Wednesday (easy) felt ok but then my legs felt like I'd run a marathon yesterday and again I felt rough, so no running.  Today my legs feel ok but I feel under the weather and a bit feverish but not ill.

I'm so undecided about London.  I really don't want to miss the club Grand Prix races over the summer, as I did last year, by pushing London when I'm not 100%.  I'll see how things feel at the beginning of next week.

Either way I will be in London either running or supporting. image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    ((((Minni)))) I can only imagine how your mind must be churning. I know you'll make the right decision whatever that is on the day....and come back fighting if you don't run it. We'll see you in Chandos either way. Take care x
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free- no need to do the last one- save the pace for when it matters

Bro-looks like normal service is resuming for you ,good run

Minni- positive thinking please- this is taper madness playing games with you..you will be at the start in London ready to nail it not watch it !

• Nice race reports from the weekend H-Mers, Daren I don't mind, you were fully in the zone and got the result you wanted image

Yay, O4S great result from you last night, you just keep cleaning up with those prizes image

Nice intervals Free.

Hi Jack and Nell image Jack definitely take a recent race result with you to the expo - you don't want to spend the start of your marathon weaving around much slower runners.

Exciting the Boston pose are starting to talk taper, not long to go now! Chick definitely take it easy now, sounds like your body is demanding a rest. 2Old, nice pace on that final long run with tired legs.

Minni - sorry to hear you are still feeling rough! Do you think you may have a viral infection or something to be feeling so rough post run? We've got massive amounts of germs flying around at work at the mo., I'm on day 2 of bed rest after picking up a tummy bug, not nice!

Knee is behaving, have been going out 3x a week with Mr Kiwi, nice and slow, so no chance of overdoing things! Still plugging away at the exercises, as mind numbingly boring as what they are, hope they bring benefits!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Thanks guys.  The thing is I'm finding I'm not really that bothered.  This marathon training has been such a chore with all that sickness in Januray, then a good February, but March has been quite shite.  I can't help thinking my body is trying to tell me something.  However, if I make a speedy recovery from all this I might think different!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

X-Post - Yes kiwi, definitely.  I think I have something that I just can't shift because I'm surrounded by germs.  I'm regularly in contact with puking children at the moment.

• Minni: you have been marathon training for a few years now, a break might not be a bad idea nut you will know if you want to do it.

2Old: Nice long run

Chick: The taper looms

Barry: Swimming is mind boggling boring and my 10 year old swims quicker than I do

Boston runners passport has arrived, Congo trip has gone back a week.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Waaah! I want my runners passport too image   Oh, smileys are working properly again.

Minni: that's one hell of a roller coaster you are on image   You will be tapering now, so do very little running and re-assess closer to VLM whether or not you are race fit. FWIW: I ran an awesome 12 miler last Friday (MP equalled 7:22 image) and it felt easy. I ran a shite half at the same pace and it felt hard. Then some MP on Tuesday which felt easy. A speedwork sesh on Wednesday which was fast for me and the crappiest 15 miler of the campaign today where I nearly threw in the towel less than half-way. Our body does strange things at times. I'm still confident that the taper will sort it for me. And I really hope it will sort it for you as well.

Bro: that's decent going pretty soon after Seville and your hols.

Freemers: great 1200s image 4 are plenty anyway.

Kiwi: good to see you and Mr. Kiwi are enjoying some running together.

2old: fab run, that. Nice conficence boost. I think I will scrap my planned 20 next week and just do 21 or 22 this Sunday and that's it. Plan calls for 18 anyway, it's just my OCD that makes me run more than I have to. I will have done 10 20+ milers, 7 of which were 22s. Enough is enough. In previous campaigns I did no more than 7 or 8.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Chick- yes I feel tired but also pretty good and like you hope the taper does the trick. I've not done as many 20s- just? 9 and 3 others 16,17,18. I'm going to fight the urge to do more from hereon , it's time to recover and be 100% ready on 21st.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

my back is killing me today image  I think I shall attempt the wine cure tonightimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Chick - I lay on the sofa under a blanket last night and drank 3 glasses of white and ate a packet of biscuits.  It helped - at the time!image

• Chick Jeez 10 20+ milers, holy smoke, its a wonder you still are in one pieceimage

2old - just 9! LOL, you're the same

Minni - sounds like you are really struggling with the lurgy and you definitely do not want to be running if you have a virus in your system

Barry & DD - I find swimming quite relaxing when I get to it - probably simply because I am not doing enough. However I do remember finding open water swimming in a wetsuit actually enjoyable last year!

In the taper, and what should I get: a funny pain on the top of my foot which made me stop my run and a bad back! image I have no idea if they are taper related, but I am being very careful about the foot which has been sort of in the back of my mind for a couple of weeks. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Minni sounds like you need a little bit of rest. Try & stay positive image

2old For 10 years myself & Barry, (mainly Barry) used to take our daughter club swimming training early mornings at 5.30. Now she can drive she's only taken herself once! 

I'm the opposite & really enjoy swimming & looking forward to training tonight. I think its because I'd never had any lessons & was quite rubbish at it. I'm definitely swimming proper now & its good to be in the pool & pushed to do well.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Minni - sorry to hear you are still not feeling great. Hopefully whatever it is will clear in the next few days.

O4S -  brilliant on win! Well done.

Chickadee / 2old - thats a serious number of 20m runs.

Chickadee / Freemers - fast reps

Ant - I will be running parkrun hard next weekend too

Its another half marathon for me tomorrow. I am not sure how the legs will respond after last week's half, but the plan is to start off at similar pace to last week and see how it goes.

Good luck to anyone else racing or doing long runs this weekend. 

• Col - Good luck for tomorrow, are you doing a spring mara, if so did n't you do a similar build up last year, racing a few HM, which gave you a good result in the marathon.

DD/2old/Ant -  I would love to get to a point where I find swimming boring , I am currently finding it impossible/frustrating.

Minni - You must be suffering some lurgy, give it a few days and see how you feel. You proved this week you have the speed endurance.  A not so subtle dig but if I had a VLM place I would run it if possible but that's cause I'm not quick enough to qualify every year.image

Kiwi -   Positive news.

2old - Good strong long run, you must be feeling confident.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Minni ((())) see how you feel in a week. I have already decided no marathon training next spring, it is starting to get me down especially as these days it always aggravates my back.  Going to concentrate on shorter distances, up to HM.

Did 20 miles on the hills of South Wales today, rain, sleet, thunder etc image.  Just walking but very hilly. Now in a Premier Inn in exotic Pontypool and looking forward to an early start tomorrow for 30 miles.

Will catch up properly and do report when we get home tomorrow evening.  Definitely on the white wine cure tonight.........

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Glamorous lifestyle, O4S. image

Hope yours are only taper niggles, Ant.

5 easy off-road miles for me. Left hammy still tight and I can feel my back but the taper will hopefully sort me out.

Runner's passport arrived today image very excited now. Merchandise doesn't normally float my boat but I really really fancy that hoodie. Sad or what?? But hey, I'm only going to do Boston once and who knows, it may well be my last marathon if my back gives up on me :-/