Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Brilliant 5 mile race Jools. image

I'm with marrows in that a marathon doesn't hurt that much..... must put more effort in. image

This year's London marathon might be totally painfree because I might well be spending it in the pub. image

• Minni wrote (see)

This year's London marathon might be totally painfree because I might well be spending it in the pub. image

Whaaat? Not more niggle aggro, I hope?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Joolska wrote (see)

Mo Farah follows every session with a fry up, OO-51, so I'd say you're spot on there.

Hopefully OO went for the Quorn sausage option like our Mo.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - I just feel pretty yuk.  Monday's great run was followed by a day of feeling ill on Tuesday.  Wednesday I felt better and ran 5 miles then on Thursday my legs felt like they'd run a marathon.  Today my legs feel ok but I've got a bit of a sore throat, a headache and feel a bit fluish.  I can't help feeling me body is trying to tell me something.....

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Minni - There is a alot of it going about at the mo. I am not convinced you won't be at the starting line on Apr 13, after all it is the biggest single running event of the year. You wouldn't want to miss it for the world.

Ant - I have heard and seen references to orange ensembles on here before. What is that all about? I have decided that my next running kit has to be patriotic, not as far as wearing a tricolour vest but a pair of 2" Emerald green split shorts with a white backed and orange fronted vest and green shoes with orange laces. Not that many of us over here and the ones that are are generally otherwise occupied, if you get my drift.image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Menn - Keep that cotton wool to hand! Nothing silly now.

Marrows - Good point about stretch/comfortable targets. I suspect that only applies once the marathon is a known adversary though, when you have past experience to base your targets on. From my perspective, I have no idea what I'm capable of producing for the level of training I've put in.

PMJ - In your position, there's nothing to lose in going for it. Your main target is so far under any other notional/beneficial target time, such as GFA, that it doesn't make sense not to try and go as fast as you can while you're in good shape.

GM - fair enough on the 2 watches. Wondering if I should abandon the Garmin and just use a stop watch, but would be interested in the data afterwards. Sound like a horrible mara experience last October! Interesting kit plans too...

OO-51 - living the dream indeed! Nice session & refuelling strategy. Plenty of protein there for muscle recovery.

Minni - is that the remnants of whatever low level virus you had last week? If so, it will hopefully have disappeared in another few days, and you'll be good to go for London.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - I don't see any harm in wearing two, best of both. Yep, indeed it was, but to be honest, in hindsight I probably should not have run it. I was injured for 4/5 of the 16 training weeks and only did one proper long run. Still, even though it was tough to take at the time I was glad to have experienced it. Bit mad us lot!

Gul - Thanks! Good luck with your solo 10k run.

• Jools - cracking midweek win there. 

Lit - looks you're sitting on top of the Jantastic All Individuals podium at the moment! 

MsE wrote (see)

Lorenzo - quick question: have you done either the Surrey Badger Half or the Holmbury Hill Half?  Both look nice races although I like the latter a bit more for the fact it is all trail.  Thoughts appreciated. Am planning my race calendar!

I did the Holmbury Hill Half 4 or 5 years ago (it was the Surrey Slog then, which summed up the route better). It's a great run in a beautiful part of Surrey - I quite often head over there for training runs. As you say, it's all trail and I think there's the odd flat part on the course, but not alot; it's definitely not PB potential. It's organised by a group of clubs that the club I run for is part of, so I may get roped in to marshall and at £14 it's an absolute bargain.

I've not done the Surrey Badger, but the route is even closer to where I live I so probably do bits and pieces of the course at least every fortnight. Starts in Denbies vineyard and is another hilly one. It's more expensive than the HHH but is excellently run by Events to Live (the events side of the equally excellent Run to Live running shop) - I've done some of their events and it's all gone smoothly.

The other race you might want to look at is the Midsummer Munro on Box Hill which bills itself as the hardest half in the country - it's called the Munro because it involves 3000 ft of climbing. Also very well organised, this time by Trionium who do various very challenging off trail races as well the Wife Carrying Race in the Spring. 

Commuting run for me today - nice and easy going, including a stop off at the aforementioned Run to Live to pick up a shiny new pair of Wave Sayonaras. 

/members/images/226395/Gallery/mizuno-wave-sayonara-bolt-J1GC1330-26.jpg

Quick test run this evening and then out for an 18 miler tomorrow morning.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni - be there, or square

Sorry, but the idea that maras don't hurt is just silly. Even the slow ones hurt a bit

• Gerard - The orange comes from the fact that there was a time when I got given orange t-shirts in a number of races, coupled with the fact I had three or four pairs of orange shoes. I like it as a colour to run in, but don't actually do so very often, and never in races. Also, it's a nod to my Mum, who's Dutch, and hence my heritage. They don't like it on here as they are a dour, miserable lot who probably think grey is the only appropriate colour for outdoor activity and anything else is part of an insidious plot by Johnny Foreigner to de-stabilise Our Great Nation. Or something.  

Minni - Kill that thing with a glass of something nice.

Lorenzo - Nice shoes. Are they for VLM? How many miles are you going to put on them first?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Also because you like to drink 16 pints of Oranjeboom Dutch lager after each race? 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - no I'm not! I'm only 20th in my local area. And I'm not even in your team...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Marrows- i think you were describing the early campaign long runs not race day. DO you do any MP runs in training and if so how far ?

Ant - you can borrow my singlet if it helps.

• oh well MP well and truly tested!

12.2 at 7:16mm average. 10 secs faster than marathon pace.

gonna be hard to keep it up for 26 but good trial run! need to put the brakes on a little!

looking forward to a few beers afterwards! image

next week it's 4 4 4 2 race.....and a new shiney P.B??? image

I'll be wearing the vest with big cross on the front He He...

• Poacher wrote (see)

Also because you like to drink 16 pints of Oranjeboom Dutch lager after each race? 

No, that'll be 15 pints of Sam Smiths. I wouldn't want to overdo it.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

GM, I have a 7.99 Casio as my back up image . My PF was a real problem. It reduced my training a little but I generally ignored it until it became so bad that I couldn't even walk properly. Had a few weeks off and lots of intense Physio and wore a night splint every night for the best part of a year. Stretches EVERY night and moving to triathlon training (ie fewer running miles) made a huge difference. It is now fine but has been superseded by more significant problems. Hey ho.

Abbers, Paris has been lovely today. Versailles in t-shirt and sun glasses. I even had an ice cream! Just got back from seeing the tower being all twinkly and had a good look at the race finish - epic.

Stay sane everybodyimage 

• The Consistently Consistent Sub-3:15 Team is on 1430 runs with just the weekend to go. Will we get 70 runs in to make 1500? I had a quick look and a few are hoarding the last week so it will be close.

We are way ahead on average runs per head, will be somewhere close to 70 average.

• Lit - sorry. I thought that that was you. Apologies.

PMJ - it's a bit of a poor show if we don't make it to 1,500. We were well on track at the half way point.

Ant - yup. Decided to go with a new pair for the big day. Will probably do 30 or 40 miles in them before VLM.

I've decided I'm going to be really brave and run VLM without either a Garmin or a watch and just trust everything to feel. For someone who looks at his watch at least a dozen times when walking to the station in the morning this is a real leap into the unknown. 

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant  - Ah I see, hence the Van, but slightly misleading as I didn't make the connection with Asturia and the Netherlands. I am a big fan of the Dutch and all things orange. Got my eye on a new pair of shoes and guess what, they are grey & orange but mainly orange. I've heard of John but not Sam!

Lorenzo - +1 for the new Mizuno's, are you doing the marathon in them?

SJ - First and foremost, congrats on the slaughter of Man U, terrific performance and a major reality check for the reds.image I am considering doing some duathlons next year and then eventually going for the Olympic distance tri.

In other news, I read the write up for this Sunday's XC  inter insular smack down and my name has been omitted from the men's team! Is that a sign?! Foot bit better but knee and other parts are sore. Think I need to get out for a run.

• Gerard - This is the brew of choice at Chandos.

Lorenzo - You're doing VLM "naked"? Never! 

Marrows - Bleeding nipples, terrible inner-thigh chafing: that's a typical Friday night here at  - oh, the marathon? Yes, that can be painful as well.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - I'd like to visit Chandos one day and neck a few/loads of them.

• Thanks for the advice on the nutrition guys, really helpful, done some research on complex carbs and feel a bit happier, it's a real science but I'm going to try and keep it simple. I too am going through the pre-marathon paranoia... Tried to do 13 miles at MP this week (which was going to be around 7:20 pace) but my arse fell off after 11 and I felt rubbish... Legs were really heavy and heart rate was way to hight for the pace I was going... Not sure if it's to do with the small amount of mileage I did for 2 weeks after injury, a lack of energy/fueling or just generally tired after a few stressful weeks in work. I did a 21.5 miler a few weeks ago at 7:35 pace though that did feel hard going after 18 miles...

I'm all over the place now with no idea what to do with pacing. On the positive split chat, the only other marathon I ran I did the first half in 1:40 and the second half in 1:43. I'm with you on the start your target pace and prepare for fade. I'm just hoping everything falls back into place in the next 2 weeks. Going to try another run at MP in the next few days to see how it feels... I'll keep you all posted...

Thanks again all....

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

Itseddie - for what it is worth, bearing in mind I am not an experienced marathoner image, if you run long runs in a particular way naturally eg, steady paced miles come easily to you or you feel more happy running progressively, then would that be a way of approaching your race?  London is as flat as a pancake so you can really determine your pacing as you like.  

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)

Jools - cracking midweek win there. 

Lit - looks you're sitting on top of the Jantastic All Individuals podium at the moment! 

MsE wrote (see)

Lorenzo - quick question: have you done either the Surrey Badger Half or the Holmbury Hill Half?  Both look nice races although I like the latter a bit more for the fact it is all trail.  Thoughts appreciated. Am planning my race calendar!

I did the Holmbury Hill Half 4 or 5 years ago (it was the Surrey Slog then, which summed up the route better). It's a great run in a beautiful part of Surrey - I quite often head over there for training runs. As you say, it's all trail and I think there's the odd flat part on the course, but not alot; it's definitely not PB potential. It's organised by a group of clubs that the club I run for is part of, so I may get roped in to marshall and at £14 it's an absolute bargain.

I've not done the Surrey Badger, but the route is even closer to where I live I so probably do bits and pieces of the course at least every fortnight. Starts in Denbies vineyard and is another hilly one. It's more expensive than the HHH but is excellently run by Events to Live (the events side of the equally excellent Run to Live running shop) - I've done some of their events and it's all gone smoothly.

The other race you might want to look at is the Midsummer Munro on Box Hill which bills itself as the hardest half in the country - it's called the Munro because it involves 3000 ft of climbing. Also very well organised, this time by Trionium who do various very challenging off trail races as well the Wife Carrying Race in the Spring. 

Commuting run for me today - nice and easy going, including a stop off at the aforementioned Run to Live to pick up a shiny new pair of Wave Sayonaras. 

/members/images/226395/Gallery/mizuno-wave-sayonara-bolt-J1GC1330-26.jpg

Quick test run this evening and then out for an 18 miler tomorrow morning.

Cheers, Lorenzo.  I think I want to do them all! image

Happy final miles all.  I will be watching from NY it seems now as we are heading homewards from California via the Big Apple to show the children how east coasters differ from their west coast cousins.  Getting very excited for you all! Minni - I am keeping fingers crossed for you. 

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭

/members/images/36105/Gallery/Napa_Valley_Trail_HM.jpg

Oooh! I managed to upload a photo I think.  This is my last race, the Napa Valley Trail HM where I came in 2nd place, 6th overall, in 1:37:01.  I was quite pleased with that given it had 2,000 feet of climbing. Now, I'll let you get on with spring marathon talk. 

• MsE - Great pic!

/members/images/83537/Gallery/DSC00441_-_copia.JPG

When Mrs. Ant saw that I had changed the desktop pic on the laptop, she asked what it was, and why I had put it on there. "For motivation, my love", I informed her. "Well, why didn't you just put one of a carrot?" was her response. "That tends to motivate most donkeys."

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Enjoying the pics.
    Ant - that's some "easy" run!
    Mennania - good reps.
    OO - wouldn't be so bad if you could have a massage and a fry-up every three miles through the marathon. Or maybe that's not such a good idea...
    Rich - great running.
    Lorenzo - brave decision - hope it pays off.
    Well, I did my sub 40 10k this morning, but I let the team down a bit: 3:59, 3:58, 3:59, 4:00, 3:57, 4:03, 4:03, 3:55, 4:00, 3:59 = 39:56. Usually I can find just a tiny bit extra for the last few hundred metres, but not today, so I knew I had thrown the kitchen sink at it. Will set a nominal MP from that and try it out in a couple of weeks time (16 with 10 @ MP I think).

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Morning All,

I haven't been participating in this thread for a while now.  I have been adjusting to a change in lifestyle which involves little computer use.  Mainly I have been running after my kids and building a new fence.

I've just filled in the online withdrawal for VLM.  My periostitis is back and my whole right leg has a problem.  Running sends me into pain after modest distance.  I have no intention to run Comrades 2014 either.

I have always drunk too much alcohol since my young days.  I could stop in September 2008 and then started again in July 2012.  Running has helped me a lot to overcome and replace one addiction with another.  When I need it most, running cannot happen.

My mother-in-law is in the final stages of her cancer.  My wife has been there a week already and I would take both children there tomorrow for at least 3 weeks.

Despite the pain I would run Parkrun today with my son and push my daughter in the push-chair.  It will be run/walk anyway.  The next serious target for me would be Comrades 2015 (Up run)  to avenge the suffering of the 2013 Up run.

Happy Running All

• Good effort there Gul, hard to go sub 40 solo so that is an achievement.

Itseddie, I think you are over thinking fuelling. if you have run over 21 at about 7:30 pace then you are in the runner category and not plodder and certainly for a half marathon no fuel at all is needed. Unless you did a 21 the evening before and went to bed with no supper and did the 13 the next morning, your body holds enough glycogen for 13 with no preparation at all. Somewhere between 20 and 26 miles, it starts to get tough and you have to find power from somewhere else and that is from fat. Marathon training, in relation to fuel, does a few things:

1) We run more efficiently so do more MPG
    2) We develop the ability to store more glycogen and can carb load to store even more
    3) We can teach our bodies to switch from glycogen to fat. A lot here do long runs with no fuel at all purely to enhance this mechanism. I did 3 of my 2s in this manner and 2 with gels so I got used to gels.

Start to enjoy the taper, get your legs turning over faster and your body rested and ignore the voices in your head.

• Sorry to hear about that leg, Bike It and that things are really tough for you at the moment. Best wishes from me and good luck with it all.