RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Simon - Probably the right decision, aim for an autumn Mara, Chester? 

minni- Good news.image

Chick - wow, monster mileage.

2old - NIce to get some bling, one for the trophy cabinet.

Daren - take it as a complement, we think you are capable of a good time now given your excellent form. 

First bit of quick running in  about 7 weeks for me this afternoon. 6 miles with middle 4 fast, v happy with 6:30,6:35,6:31,6:25 for effort miles.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- did you do the extra 2.3? Shame not to .

Barry- my cabinet is going to look pretty bare unless I borrow some of O4S 's overspill. Must feel good letting rip with that sort of speed. I felt very sluggish today 

col-I'd be tempted to try and get half way in 1.34 as it gives you just a little more leeway. I've done. 3.10xx and 3.11xx and on both occasions half was 1.34.

Finished March with a MLR at 7.41mm av. It was hard going for some reason . Total for month 291 and for the year 749... Chick maybe I should have done one extra tonight image

• Blimey, where to start...

Simon - Sorry to hear about the DNS, but definitely the right thing to do... I'd NEVER run a marathon injured!imageimageimage In all seriousness though, i haven't really run since London last year due to my own stupidity.

O4S - Nice sensible (for you) taper i see!image

Col - Wow, great half.image

Chick - Nice long run, and huge miles for the month.image

Daren - Has hell frozen over and the sea's boiled since i've been away??? Are you doing a (whisper it) m-a-r-a-t-h-o-n this Autumn? Jeez... I must have been given more Morphine than i thought!image

Minni - Not wishing to repeat myself, but as your hip eases off the faster you go, i would have thought that 7 min/miles was the obvious way to go at VLM!image

DD - Don't let your creaks turn into snap, crackles or pops! Take it easy.

Apologies if i've missed anyone... There's so much good running going on!

Moving on from good running to bad running, i went out yesterday with the OH for a very gentle jog/walk. IT WAS HIDEOUS!

First mile was at about 10 min/mi pace (according to some delirious phone app that the OH swears by) and had to stop and walk for about 400 metres. Managed to get going again and did approx another 1.5 miles, but every impact felt like someone was driving a nail into my knee with a sledgehammer! 

Oh well, back on the bike and in the pool... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp- chuckled when you said you'd never run injured. Some of us here still have a few memory cells left despite the alcohol. Best not to rush back and stick to the pool and bike. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about the half Smon but it maybe wise.

Nice run there Free

Minni your sounding positive which is great 

Blimey Chick fantastic mileage

Congratulations 2old

Good to see you back Oompa

4 mile tempo run @ lunchtime today - that mm is starting to creep down. Disappointed that I had to go back to work as I was really enjoying the run.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Simon, Sorry to hear you have to pull out, but I suppose better than causing further injury....

Hi kfc, Hopefully after the taper you will feel better, to answer your question. I was up at 2am stretching....it caught up on me, knew it would!

Hi freemers, the breeze was warming me yesterday! It is amazing the weather difference..

Hi Minni, Glad to hear you have had a better run and are feeling better in yourself.

Hi Oompa, What was/is your injury?

Hi 2old, Unfortunately the form Mr Suarez is in, I can see him tearing England apart, which will upset all those fans who are wearing their £90 replica tops!

Easy recovery run for me this morning, 4 miles and later some S&C in the gym with the grunters image

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Apologies Simon - sorry to hear about your Marathon.

• Go O4S! That's a brilliant result from your 5M race. Rival left eating your dust! Nothing like a bit of dry heaving at the end of a race.

Chick - get that hoodie bought! It's a souvenir image Good work on the 22M, has that made your mind up for a target for Boston? 

Col that's some going in your half marathon only a week after racing the last one.  Easy now until London!

Nothing worse than getting bored on a 20M run Daren! Nice fast finish.

Sorry to hear you're deferring Simon but it's definitely the best plan.

Some good running from you at the weekend kfc, nothing like a bit of cramming! Are you tapering now?

Back on it Minni! Good stuff. The marathon is your distance, it would be such a shame to not race it.

You've recovered well by the sound of it Barry.  Stick at it with the swim training!

You're hilarious Oompa, I love how you describe your antics! Hope your knee is feeling a bit better after the hideous run...

The grunters in the gym are entertaining Nell!

5M race done yesterday in 33:59.  The pre-Barcelona target was sub-33, revised to sub-34 last week.  Only just made it!  Would love to have a good crack at that distance with fresh legs.  Anyway, it was nice to get a bit of quicker stuff done.  Going to get a bit of speedier stuff done this week, bring back the track!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Grrr, just lost a long post from my phone after it rang!  Try again,

Simon - I'm sorry to hear about the marathon but it is the RIGHT decision.  You're building up nicely and this Achilles is just a set back.  Nice to see you getting some good cycling in to replace the running.  Did you end up keeping that super bike you had on loan?

Oopma - shit about the pain.  Does that mean something is wrong, or do you just need more recovery, or will it always hurt when you get back to it?  Good to see you posting anyway and sorry we won't share a few miles together this year.   Are you coming to watch?  Maybe catch you for a drink in Chandos?

Chick - mega mileage!!! I'm not sure Brol can beat that!

Nell - I'm definitely thinking about that half in September (but I don't think Liz McColgen is involved with it) or there is also a half in York on the same day.  Edinburgh is easier for me plus my sister in law lives at Carberry so nice and handy for the finish.

Carrot - great 5m!  I admit I had stalked your result and felt quite jealous!! That would be a  big PB for me and you did it while recovering from the marathon!! Any firm plans for London yet?  I've signed up as reserve for the Good Friday relays!!  Has Parsnip recovered from his injury in time for London?

Daren - stick to your guns.  That PB will be even sweeter in the Autumn.

Ant - ice that foot!  At least its taper time now.  Which start are you on?  We need a list.

Freemers - all good?  You've had a great build up and you're going to be really strong on the day.  I'm going to hang onto you for dear life!

2old - you're going very well at the moment. Another one with a great marathon ahead.

Col - what's your marathon target this year?  Hopefully we will see you en route again.

AA - have you been practising your champion pose in front of the mirror?

Barry & Pink - nice to see you both knocking out good miles.  Barry - are you recovering well?

I've changed my first claim club (from tomorrow). Only felt confident enough to contact VLM today to inform them. 

Lets start a list:

LONDON:

Green Start:

Minni - 28513   A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish

BOSTON:

• Carot -Unfortunately this race was already deferred from last year (PF prob). Can you actually 'double defer' image? Sub 34 is still a fast pace, and sub 33 would be about 6.35 paceimage.

Pink - No probs, nice to hear you enjoyed yourself on Blackpool seafront the other day.

Oompa - Enjoy the low impact biking, swimming. Any ops coming up?

Nell - Have fun with the grunters. Do they bang their dumbells on the floor as wellimage?

Minni - No the carbon fibre super model had to go back. You change clubs more times than.......most thingsimage.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- a list-no turning back now

Carrot- you keep getting faster 

Simon-time to do triathlons- perfect rehabilitation sport 

Nell- Uruguay May have Suarez but England have - Johnson,Henderson,Gerrard,Sterling ,Sturridge so there is hope. 

LONDON:

Green Start:

BOSTON:

2Old- 7976 wave1/8  A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Simon - this is the first time I've ever changed clubs!!!! I joined the harriers as second claim about 18 months ago but have now made them first claim so I can do things like the Relays with them.
  • Minni: yea back on track

Chick: monster miles, doubt if i have 300 since Jan 01.

Simon: sorry about that.

2old: tri isn't rehabilitation sport, its the only way i can keep moving.

Nine miles around Belfast this morning whilst waiting for my new passport, now I have it I can go to D,R.Congo, oh joy.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD- miss2O had to make an emergency trip for to Belfast for her passport /visa to USA for Uni there. She did a historic bus trip not a 9 mile run . I'm probably nearing doing tris for the very same reason 

• Chic and 2old did i read correctly 9 and 10 x 20 milers done, since Jan? Yikes. 300 miles, 290 for MARCH!

O4S some great running there. Like the tactics too.

Col excellent half time. Rest now with vlm v close?

Neil, good long run. I love Kinvaras too, perfect shoe for 5k to marathon, just got a pair of the new model 4 for ??63. Bargain!

Minni good run, glad you're feeling better. Just need to rest now.

Simon, sorry that Manchester is a no. Sensible though.

Daren, conversely.. 6 months till October, that's a helluva long time to wait, like a pan simmering... You'll go off the boil more likely IMO. Any 20s coming up, or trail marathons? Some other target. Getting your half time down more, cheeky ultra? image

Oompa, sorry to hear still not right. if only you'd taken that painkiller off me at 16 miles image

No running or exercise last week since Monday hills on birthday.

Big tender finishing Tuesday, things nearly went wrong with 2 hrs to go, ball in my court so very stressed, throat started feeling sore & me not good, but dosed with Lemsip and strepsils. Nice meal out with family, 3 pots of tea to stop shivering and no alcohol... image . Woke up and felt awful.

Wednesday, just sleep and chicken soup, Thursday managed a walk with more sleep & boxsets. Throat still not right, but better - hit it with vitC, garlic, echinacea, Lemsip, ibuprofen, extra strength strepsils - okay kitchen sink plus more soup, cheese on toast and custard creams. image

Friday, got appointment at last and some antibiotics, tonsillitis confirmed not quinsy as feared. starting to feel better today. Against Mrs FRC's advice, 6 miles tonight inc hills, but slow.

May have to rethink plans for April & May events, was going to enter Manchester marathon this weekend, probably not a good idea, even slow?
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    (((FRC))) - I would definitely not do Manchester....even if you think you feel fine, tonsilitis can wipe you out, and the longer term is more important at this stage with Corades in a few months.

Minni - thanks, yes all good, if I try not to think about how much my foot hurts and all the other little achy bits that come with getting older! Seriously though, I'm trying not to jinx it but my sessions have gone so well this time around I have to believe a good time is possible.

So predictions....we will definitely need to pull each other round! 3.12 is the figure I keep coming back to. It would require everything to go right on the day, from nutrition to the weather to (of course) the right pacing strategy.

LONDON:

Green Start:

Minni - 28513 A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish

Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check) A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB). No pressure!

BOSTON:

2Old- 7976 wave1/8 A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Carrot:  makes my 5 mile time look a bit pedestrian, but it is actually quite a nice distance to race.  I'm hoping these monthly runs will set me up for the summer 10k races

Oompa: would you like a nice little rollator, or even perhaps a zimmerframe??  I could decorate either [or both] with bells to keep other road users clear and some nice pink ribbons image

Simon: I think you might have been expecting this for the last few weeks.  Not worth risking a summer on the bike and I would definitely have done the same in your position

Col: smoking half there.  I have only ever cycled through Omagh but my recollection is quite undulating round there, so even more impressive

DD: pity our visits didn't coincide - I could have shown you a bit of the 'real' Belfast, although you might have been advised not to speak while there image

Minni: Wooler must be gutted!

2old: can't imagine what tri training could rehabilitate you from.  Duathlons now.......

AA: how are you?

Anyone decided when they are visiting the Expo?  I will add my details this evening when I get home

6 miles tempo last night with the club and after a warm dry day we got caught in a torrential downpour, so ended up cold and wet.  Was also talked into entering Man v Horse in June - 22 miles uphill and down dale through rivers and bogs in Wales trying to beat the horses.  Why did that sound like a good idea??????

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    O4S - I'm probably going to the expo late afternoon Wednesday, maybe around 5pm. I won't stay long, just whizz round to pick up a pace band, see if they have any of my shoes going cheap and that's about it.
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Col, Yes I am finding though that as my running improves, my football is deteriorating ;0( My running friends and physio keep telling me that I cannot keep up both.... I am beginning to agree, especially when you are on a training schedule, it knocks out the balance.

Hi Minni, McColgan launched the race at Musselburgh last September, maybe she was just used for advertising it? Carberry will be nice and handy, seems a shame not to take up that chance ;0)

Hi FRC, Yes I enjoy the kinvaras too, I was managing to get 3's for 47.50 last year, but I think Saucony have got wise and seem to be releasing shoes in batches. I just got a pair of 4's for £75, that was with 15% off with sportsshoes.com.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

7 miles of hill reps this morning. Misty, pouring with rain, six degrees, slipped over in the mud going through the woods.....Glad that spring is here!

Oh by the way Simon, No the Grunters are pretty well behaved they don't bang down the dumbbells ;0) I think that is a reserved action for the posers. These guys don't pose, they are just big and scary!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow Barry, smokin‘ miles there yesterday. How’s
    the calf these days? Hope it settled.

2old: that’s a lot of miles too, in fact, only 2 trendy 5s less than I didimage.
    And no, I didn’t go out yesterday. I’m just so effing glad my body coped with
    those miles and a rest day was more than overdue.

carrot: brilliant 5 miler. Your speed is just mindboggling, especially so soon after Barca. I doubt I could go much under 35 mins right now and I’m at peak marathon fitness image
    Boston pace. Hm. All my MP runs in the past 2-3 weeks were around 7:24 pace. And as much as I would love to go sub 3:15 I don’t think I’m quite there yet. I’m also very respectful of the Boston course. Last Sunday’s MP run over the hills gave me some confidence but it was only 7 miles :-/. It’s so difficult to get this right. I’m probably going to keep my pace somewhere between 7:30 and 7:35.

Oh hell, Oomps. That doesn’t sound good. Did they give you the all clear to run
    yet or was it just your own stubbornness that made you go out and try some
    runningimage?

pink: your running is really coming along nicely. Sub 2 HM in the autumn maybe?

Nell: LOL re. grunters. They can be quite entertainingimage

FRC: sorry to hear about your tonsillitis. Freemers is right. Better rest up for a bit. You don't want to jeopardise Comrades.

Minni: glad you are back on track for London. I was getting a little worried...

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

LONDON:
    Green Start:

Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check)  A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB).  No pressure!

BOSTON:
    2Old- 7976 wave1/8  A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)
    Chick - 13636 wave2/5 A: as close to 3:15 as possible; B sub 3:20; C: sub 3:24:36 (PB)

• Great running everyone! My right calf (old injury) is still a bit sore from Sunday's run. I'm trying to think if it's any more sore than usual after a LSR, or if it's just taper mind games/paranoia.

LONDON:

Green Start:

Minni - 28513 A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish

Freemers - 28451 (I think, need to double check) A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB). No pressure!

Blue Start:

Jack - 6798 A- 3:29:59 B- 3:40 C- Finish (still a PB)

BOSTON:

2Old- 7976 wave1/8 A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under)

Chick - 13636 wave2/5 A: as close to 3:15 as possible; B sub 3:20; C: sub 3:24:36 (PB)
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC-I guess your immune system must be low post marathons(is it 3 ? !!!!)  as any sane person would expect. Look at the long game and recover 100% and think very carefully before giving in to the temptation of Manchester

Chick-excellent targets for Boston.Yes the (up)hills have to be respected but as you know,the course is nett down hill and as long as the quads are ready for a hammering the combination of ups and downs can produce pleasing results. Looking at your wave and corral its starngeto think I may have started 45 mins or so before you

O4S- tris will rehabilitate me from running OCD.Man V Horse? Bogs and rain in Wales-just a normal day out for you then?

Nell-there are a few of those in my gym and I have to smile when they photograph each others swollen muscles in the changing room after each session

Daren-FRC may be right about going stale- maybe use the first as a marker so that in your ' A' marathon you nail it 100%. Remember the guys here will be pretty unforgiving if you dont go easily sub3 image-no pressure. Im feeling the pressure Mo must be under-his first marathon in a very impressive field.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

it's because you are so much faster, 2old image

Believe it or not, I can feel my quads from Sunday's run. But despite feeling strong, I know I went way too hard. I'm hoping that my slighlty easier target pace range will see me through.

I'm going to do some more hill stuff over the next few weeks, but nothing long. Was thinking of mile reps @ MP, trying to ease off on the uphills and hit the gas on the downhills.

• Minni - and most importantly the harriers vest is much nice than wooler'simage

Foot appears to be fine, just paranoid about colds at the moment. Keep thinking I have a sore throat coming on. Hopefully just my imagination.

Will add to list later when fully decided, but thinking 3:19 as A target

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-I didnt feel fast last night. The same last training run options keep going around in my head .Trouble is the end of this week looks very busy for me and Im wondering how to fit the runs in.All I do know is that apart from a couple of runs from next week on its taper big time-this old body needs a rest

Ant-no reason to have a sore throat-the sun is shining and winter is over. Cant we prod you into a slightly faster A target and 3.19 as your B target?imageYouve definately got it in you.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The Wooler one is easier to spot in a race but the Harrier's one is cooler, Ant.

Btw, has anyone tried those clip-things as advertised on FB to replace pins?  A friend has them and they are really good.  Thought I might pick some up at the Expo if there's any about.  Also going to visit the saucony stand and see if I need a different shoe in light of my recent niggles.  I've been wearing the same model for about 3-4 years so might need a bit of adjustment.

I'll be doing expo on Friday PM.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Leave Daren alone you guys - I think he is doing the right thing. His mind is on October and he will nail it then image

Last hard tempo done - 7 miles with 4 @ MP-10secs. Just one interval set left on Friday - going to do 400m reps to get some leg speed going.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Agree, 2old - Ant's target is too soft image. I wouldn't worry about fitting the runs in - do them when you have time and if not, so be it. The hard work is done. I'm pretty relaxed about the next 3 weeks. Today I should have done 8 with strides but only did 6 and no strides. Didn't feel like it. Maybe tomorrow.

Minni: nooo shooos sound like a good idea, just don't try anything new on race dayimage