Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

200 per month for me and a 14 week campaign. Could fancy a nice run today...

I'll probaly be around the same at VLM Burton AC, but depends how hard I work in Paris this weekend.

• SJ, great report and how come you look better in the pictures after 8k than I do after 5k?

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2902/13503759605_b6a88100e9_b.jpg

• I'm doing Brighton this weekend.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

It's just down to flattering lighting PMJ.

Lorenzo, Paris was advertised as 1500m of ascent. I did a trail marathon a few weeks ago with about 1500m of climbing in half the distance and it didn't feel as hilly. Mind you, they probably feel steeper the longer you've been on your feet.

Hope my report didn't put anyone off. It really was a great experience. Remember, I was undertrained and I did want to push it hard to experience the pain - only giving myself one shot at it was plenty of motivation to dig deeper than necessary.

This popped up on FB this morning: http://runningandstuff.squarespace.com/blog/surviving-your-first-50-mile-race.html

lots of truth in there.

Minni, MsE, if I didn't get lost, you certainly wouldn't. Route markers every 50-80metres and marshals at all the tricky bits. Lovely and friendly organisers and enthusiastic supporters dotted about too. I'd happily do it again.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Epic stuff SJ, brilliant report, well done!

Looking at some of the monthly miles is a little disturbing, My whole Brighton campaign is 16 weeks and 450 miles exactly. image

The plan was only 3 runs per week (I did throw in the odd recovery for a 4th run) and I have had a few injuriy niggles but it does seem low. Still, I'm only going for 3.20 this weekend and many of you are sub-3 so maybe it's not so bad?
    Last year in Paris I did 3.23 off the same mileage but most of those were at the front of the campaign before I got injured. This year my final 8 weeks have gone really well, although the HM race took a lot out of me.

I have plans:

A - 3.15 (gotta have a stretch target!)
    B - 3.20 (the real target)
    C - sub 3.23 (for a PB)...and
    D - Just get round

...so we'll see what happens.

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJ - great report, and even greater effort. You should be justifiably proud of your achievements.

PMJ - hope the gout is relenting again.

Leslie / GM - sub-90 is my autumn target, as it has been since 2011! A bit of speed in the summer, maybe target a 10k, then build for an October HM, probably Bournemouth again. For various reasons, I doubt I'll be running another mara after VLM until autumn 2015 at the earliest.

And GM, no, you haven't missed my London targets image Although Sporty B has just posted something that looks very familiar...

Some great monthly stats being posted too, amazing miles and dedication on show. I can add 217 in 25 runs, which puts me just over 600 for 2014 to date, both of which are new records for me.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Autumn sub it will be then! I personally found that after I did my early Oct marathon I only needed a week's rest, one week easy, 2 weeks fairly hard training (did alot of hilly runs) and then a week mini taper and I was good to go a week later for my sub 90 assault and tbh it was very straight foward and ran within myself. If I remember my last mile was closer to 6mm than 7. Getting close now, I am excited and I am not even doing a marathon!!

PMJ - Was that after your 18 min parkrun and 50 odd miles in the previous 3 days?? If so I am not surprised, although Slokey does look rather good!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

SJ – That’s a truly epic report and performance. You have really inspired me for my up coming Ultras. Fantastic photo’s too. Take a bow Sir you are now a legend!

• Sporty Badger wrote (see)

Epic stuff SJ, brilliant report, well done!

Looking at some of the monthly miles is a little disturbing, My whole Brighton campaign is 16 weeks and 450 miles exactly. image

The plan was only 3 runs per week (I did throw in the odd recovery for a 4th run) and I have had a few injuriy niggles but it does seem low. Still, I'm only going for 3.20 this weekend and many of you are sub-3 so maybe it's not so bad?
    Last year in Paris I did 3.23 off the same mileage but most of those were at the front of the campaign before I got injured. This year my final 8 weeks have gone really well, although the HM race took a lot out of me.

I have plans:

A - 3.15 (gotta have a stretch target!)
    B - 3.20 (the real target)
    C - sub 3.23 (for a PB)...and
    D - Just get round

...so we'll see what happens.

SB

We'll be running around the same pace Sporty B by the looks of it. I have more or less the same targets and since the turn of the year I've ran 480 miles to date, so even that is the same as you really.

Good luck.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Nice one Gaz, with 480 in the bank, that makes me feel better. image

Good luck to you too. Weather looks OK at the moment. may even be a tailwinid for the second half of which the organisers claim is extremely flat. the underpass tunnels in Paris did for my injured leg last year, so I'm hoping for a session of even paced steady runnig this time.

If I'm feeling brave I'll be going for a 1.36 first half and a 1.38 second half. That should be enough fade for me to cope with. But, as I mentioned before, if the wheels start to fall off I will hopefully have plenty of time to sneak the 3.20.

SB

• Is it too obsessive to start checking the weather forecast for VLM? I looke dthe other day and it said cloudy, 12ºC, no rain. As I'd be more than happy with that, I will believe it and not bother looking any more.

6 miles with 8 x 100 strides. Windy.

• Sporty B, its gonna be flat. I've ran Brighton the past two years and it wasn't ok anyway but now they've taken a hill out. What's Paris course like?

I reckon I'll see you at some point. Look out for a black and ice blue vest and ice blue calf socks. That'll be me.

All the best, I'm sure you'll smash it.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

There is a new half mara starting up local to me 3 weeks exactly from my mara , I'm tempted but is that asking for bother image

• SB and BAG I am also running Brighton on Sunday too. I haven't run many more miles than you (it is disconcerting seeing some of the miles some of the pros on here are running!, but we are meant to be scared at this point so its ok image! )

I am going for 3:15. I got 3:23 at Paris last year too. Maybe we are on the finishing photos together SB image?I feel a lot fitter this year and a lot less injuries so hoping its ok on the day. I'm going to try and follow the 3:15 pacer and see how I feel after a few miles.

Has anyone ran with a pacer before? Does it make any difference to the mental struggle? Do they have to have nice bums?

Good luck to everyone with their tapers/races!

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Poachette just asked what it's like to do one's first mara.  This is the answer

youtube.com/watch?v=3ItnxJLAOeY&feature=youtu.be

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Ant - What forecast are you looking at? I see predicted temperature of low 20's for VLM!

Only kidding it's way to early to say what it will be like, don't worry about the weather as that's the one variable that you can't control.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Tarts - Interesting we were the same in paris. Did you enjoy the underpasses along the Seine and the cobles in Bois de Boulogne for the last few miles,...nasty!
    In Paris last year I had to stop at 16 miles to massage and stretch my injured calf muscle.Easily cost me a minute. then add on some time while I more or less walked/hobbled up the underpass inclines to protect it. Amazed I got a PB really.

No such woes this year, like you, legs are stronger, training performances better yet I feel a big lack of confidence for some reason. STOOOPID!! imageimage

Just back from my penultimate training run. Easy 4 miler with 2 x MP miles. Splits were 7.53 - 7.27 -7.25 - 7.58. Avg HR was a low 139.

Kept telling myself I can't hold on for 26 miles. FOOL!!

I too intend to follow the pace guy. I understand it's a guy called Dave who paced the 1.30 group at the Surrey Half I did recently. he was brilliant. At 2 miles once the race had settled he announced the split, time difference in our watch times and said he would bring us home at 1.29.50. he got it spot on. Unfortunately on a bumpy course and without a proper taper I couldn't beat the final 3 miles of hills and only scored a 1.31 but if all goes well, Dave could do the business for us in Brighton.

SB

• Apparently he's a sub 2:50 marathoner.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    Leslie H wrote (see)

There is a new half mara starting up local to me 3 weeks exactly from my mara , I'm tempted but is that asking for bother image

Racing it flat out would be a bit too risky in my opinion. What about running 7 easy miles before it then running it at MP? Which HM is it by the way?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Help for Sunday...

http://lornpearsontrains.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/image.jpeg

• Hahaha SB! I'd give anything a go!

I didn't mind the tunnel bits in Paris tbh. I remember coming out the last one and the sun was really shining and it was a bit too hot for my liking though. I barely remember the cobbles, probably at that point I was concentrating on my positive mantra: "I swear to never do this again, I swear never to do this again".

Great news about the pacer! Might just make the difference for me. I'll have to look out for you (if you describe what you are going to wear) at the start pen!

Si

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJT / Sporty B / BAG - sounds like you could be onto a winner with the pacer at Brighton. They can be a mixed blessing, but should certainly help you to keep a lid on things early on, and then help to pull you through later on if you can keep with them.

GM - not many summer halves round here, there's a possible in June, but think I want to get my 10k PB in better shape next before trying to take that speed into another HM. And 10k/HM training fits much better with the imminent cricket season!

6 miles including 10 x 400 at lunch. Slowest rep was 88 secs (5:52 pace), quickest 81 (5:24 pace), most in the 83-85 range. Happy enough with that, there's some speed there after all!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Ha-haaa!! we also share the same mantra! As I came around the final bend into Avenue Foch I remember saying to myself "dig in old son, just one more effort, you'll never have to do this again...ever!"

And here we are...image

I wear all black in homage to 70s superstar John Walker. He was Kiwi who was distinctive in his all black gear, loved watching him run. It's now my race day attire (and doesn't show the bleeding nipples as much as a white top!) Number 1350 if you're eagle-eyed like Lorenzo was at the Surrey Half.

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SB - bleeding nips are so easy to remedy! Just an elastoplast, or micropore tape, saves all sorts of unnecessary discomfort. Suffered once early in my running career during a wet 10 miler, and I'll never put myself through that again!

• I'm more or less bold. Number 127. Will be with a guy from Arena 80.

• SB - Haha, I just looked at the Paris results last year. I came in one second behind you on the chip time, so you have definitely have the edge on me image  . Bleeding nipples - arghhhh, I only ever let that happen to me once!

Abbers - Why are pacers mixed blessings? I can only really see the positive aspects of them. I know there must be negatives, but I can't think what they might be.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

SJT - I haven't run with them often, and only in HMs, but you can get large crowds bunching around them, which makes it a bit chaotic at drinks stations and difficult for other runners to run their own races around them. There's also the chance that their pacing strategy won't be the same as yours; their job is to hit a certain time, but they may do it in negative splits when you prefer even splits or a slight positive split, so worth checking at the start what their strategy is. I ran with a sub-90 pacer in a HM, naively left all the timing to him, and at 10 miles he declared we were behind schedule and took off into the distance. He finished in 1:29:4x, exactly as he should have, but none of the runners who had stuck with him for the first 10 miles could handle the sudden increase in pace at that stage.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Yeah!! In your FACE, Tarts!!   image

Was only joking about the bleeding nips. Happened to me once, total agony. I've tried tapes etc but good old vaseline works for me, however it does ruin a light coloured top with greasy stains, hence another reason for wearing black.

Best (worst?) example of nips carnage I ever saw was at the Fleet half a few years ago. I was cheering in the remaining runners as they finished in the rain. Some guy came in at around 2.15. He was a big unit, probably in his first HM and had an old white cotton t-shirt on. He looked like he'd been shot twice in the chest and had blood stains running down the front of the shirt. Like a scene from the dirty dozen or something as he lumbered over the line after taking a pair of bullets for his platoon. Brilliant.

SB

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Excellent points Abbers. I let the pacer go a bit at the Surrey and was gradually reeling him in. at just over halfway he was about 15 secs ahead and I was gaining all the time. We hit a hill and while I took a quick breather, he really kicked on and I couldn't catch him. I looked at his stats after and he did put in an impressive negative split.

I'll forgive him as the start was a little chaotic and it was all he could do. I'm hoping he gets clean away in Brighton and it's steady all the way.

SB

• Thanks Abbers. Good points, I sort of presumed that they would run even splits, I will definitely check their strategy first! Ta.