Options

The Great Debate - what classes as a race?

Hello everyone.

As part of an upcoming feature in the mag, we want to know your thoughts on the following question -

Are events that don't record your finishing time or place, real races?

Post your comments, thoughts and opinions below.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I am not sure I know of any events like that to be honest.

• Options

there are quite a few LDWA "Challenge" events that don't produce results

they're still a "race" though, as you can race yourself (e.g. a target time, or your course PB from a previous year) or you can race other people that you know

tbh the faster runners usually pool info on t'internet afterwards and attempt to construct the results for themselves image

• Options

If you enter a 'race' and don't care about your position or time (maybe don't look at them) but just wanted to finish. Is that a race?

I think whether something is a race is perhaps a philosophical position for the runner.

• Options

Also....parkrun is a race. I know this cause Phil, Bus, Scotch Egg and the chosen one keep bleating on about their positions and times image

• Options

One last thing Ben. This isn't the Great Debate and to be honest it isn't really a debate at all. It is a rubbish idea for a thread and is why you shouldn't be allowed to do that sticky thing and have it appear at the top of the threads list. Try harder or I am going to tell your boss to give you a shit report.

Wait a minute I have just seen Kerry's thread about Novelty Races. This thread is better than that one at least. Well done for being less shit than Kerry, now that is racing my friend.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Hardly a "Great Debate"...  The dictionary would suggest that if the objective is to see who is the fastest then it's a race, otherwise it isn't...  For most runners I think, even if an event is technically a race, for them it's a time trial.

• Options

Agree that the thread title. the great debate....is stupid......there must be many things that can classed as the great debate...........eg the ones that come up again and again.....re dogs or ipods or walking in a race etc.....

• Options

I agree, the biggest recurring debate on here has always seemed to be about the VLM entry system. That and Race for Life - although not so much now its popularity seems to be on the wane. 

• Options
    Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

mp3 players - the great debate.

Time trials aren't races, park run is a time trial not a race. It isn't even that. Most people view it as a training run. Good for tempo or race pace for longer distance. Also good to measure fitness or to achieve the goal of actually being able to run.

Race for Life events aren't races.

• Options
    booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, etc. to see which is the fastest in covering a set course.

personally I'll never win a race, I'll hardly ever even get in the top 50% but competing against the same clock makes you part of the same race. IMHO

• Options

Checked the dictionary..

1. a contest of speed, as in running, riding, driving, or sailing.

So if you don't record a time or finishing position it can't be a race.

PS Contest is defined as a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals.

QED

(Damn simples this journalism, Should have done that rather than Project Management) 

• Options
    Fido2DogsFido2Dogs ✭✭✭

@booktrunk - don't be too sure about that - unless you mean outright win. There are some small races which have only a handful of female runners and those, of errrr gentle pace - you never know when you might find yourself running in one of them, and ending up first lady... happened to me once and my finishing time was about the same (I cyberstalked you on po10) as the parkrun times it had for you last year. Won a teddyimage

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Dave -- I don't agree with your interpretation of that dictionary definition...  For me there is no implication that a "contest of speed" must be timed...  S/he who finishes first is the fastest...  Maybe PM wasn't such a bad choice eh? image

• Options
    XX1 wrote (see)

Dave -- I don't agree with your interpretation of that dictionary definition...  For me there is no implication that a "contest of speed" must be timed...  S/he who finishes first is the fastest...  Maybe PM wasn't such a bad choice eh? image

No, I think Dave is right.

Time aside, recording a "finishing position" would tell you who finished fastest. image

• Options

Simple definition is two kids say to each other "race you to the fence, first one wins". That's a race. the rest is garnish.

• Options

I think XX1 and Cunk are right.

Won primary school sports day race over 60 metres, not sure it was ever timed or recorded but I won and that is all that I need to know.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Yeah, I (co-) won the 3-legged race in year 6. That wasn't timed or recorded but is clearly still a major running triumph.

I think the 'debate' is supposed to be about whether we think race for life is shit or not though, without Ben mentioning any names of specific events.

• Options
    XX1 wrote (see)

Agreed, and that wasn't what I posted....

I posted time or finishing position.... Helps if people read !

• Options

Year 6 hadn't even been invented when I was at school. Year 4 Juniors I think it was back then. Anyway that is very impressive.

In Year 1 Juniors I managed to win the football dribbling and passing the ball under a chair at the end race. I am like Bolt and Messi rolled into one.

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Year 6 was invented when I was in 2nd year juniors.

• Options

More like Jessie Owens and Tom Finney back then MNW image

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Dave -- There's nothing in the dictionary definition (perhaps you should read it image) that states the recording of any information is necessary.

• Options
    XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

LOL yeah right...  A bit rich coming from someone who clearly can't comprehend a dictionary definition image

• Options

Did someone just mention the elephant in the room?

• Options
    Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

In over 350 races I never did one with an Elephant involved, let alone in the room at the presentation afterwards. DId see a camel in the middle of Wanstead Flats during a 10K race once.

Seriously is this the type of article that is included in the magazine these days? - I gave up reading it in 199 something when it stopped being Running Magazine. 

• Options
    literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm not sure but I have a slight suspicion that this particular debate isn't going to make the final cut.