Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

I want this marathon done now.  I want to get back to running fast, steaming round the track, my legs pumping like Tiger Woods in a sorority house, and the wind whistling through what remains of my hair.

Don't think Team GB is distracting people too much, that thread was dead too until a couple of days ago.

I would post some training, but it's all pretty dull stuff at the moment.  I'm now in the worrying marathon taper, where I frequently travel to work by bus instead of running in, and everyone on the bus appears to be afflicted with some kind of colourful medieval malady, coughing and spluttering all over the shop and generally spreading their pestilence to anyone unlucky enough to be present.  Keep away from me you diseased bastards!

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Get a bike Dachs! No germs then...

Personally I like hearing about people's daily training. I find it helps me focus on what I should be doing.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

ok, here's one for the thread. hypothetical question from a 'friend'...

he has a VMLM champs start place.
    he's had an 8 week lay off due to injury to beginning of Feb and not ran further than 15 miles in the last 4 months.
    he has an unbroken sub 3 marathon record.
    he has a target 10k race on 10 May 2014.
    he really wants to take part in VLM (just for shits and giggles and nothing else)

what would your advice be?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

If he thinks he can still manage sub 3, he should get himself on the champs start, find a champs lady runner friend from the internet, and pace her to a sub 3 finish.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

'He' should do it if he's keen.

A sub-3 will be a walk in the park for 'him', and he won't set 'himself' back for a target 10K a month later by going round at what will be a pretty comfortable pace.

And 'he' has a decent chance of getting television coverage for 'his' beard, which I am simply guessing that 'he' is currently sporting.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Dachs, your use of inverted commas makes it look like Johnas's 'friend' is a bit gender-confused.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

ok, here's one for the thread. hypothetical question from a 'friend'...

he has a VMLM champs start place.
    he's had an 8 week lay off due to injury to beginning of Feb and not ran further than 15 miles in the last 4 months.
    he has an unbroken sub 3 marathon record.
    he has a target 10k race on 10 May 2014.
    he really wants to take part in VLM (just for shits and giggles and nothing else)

what would your advice be?

Do it. I did, and got away with it, with just a walk at 20.5 miles.

🙂

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Dachs, your use of inverted commas makes it look like Johnas's 'friend' is a bit gender-confused.

Beard = overcompensation

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Still time for your friend to cram in 5 20M + long runs Johnas, if he's serious image

Legs like lead today! Been trying to squeeze in the hills recently in anticipation of a potential fell race a week on Saturday, and have supplemented this with lots of stairs at work (10 x 22 flights last week). Not the best injury management strategy perhpas, but there you go....

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

so, it appears the general consensus is do it. I guess I, sorry, 'he' can always step off if it becomes too hard work.

Lit - so, do you fancy being my, crap, 'his' beard for the day on the sub 3 train?

Bus - since when have you ever been conventional?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Erm, I might have a 'friend' who wants to join your 'friend''s sub 3 train. Your 'friend' had better not give up half way leaving my 'friend' in the lurch though.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Yep, I am definitely a rebel without a clue image

Definitely do it (I mean, tell your fiend to do it!)

Dachs - will you take commissions on these avatars? Johnas one is just brilliant!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

*sigh*

apparently his coach has vetoed any such plans. I believe the words 'bonkers' 'jeopordise' and 'bigger picture' may have been used.

• Training today was 5 miles at lunchtime, 8:20 pace. Taking it easy in the taper.

Just noticed I have fallen from #10 to #11 in the country over the mile (by a V50 running the Hangover Mile - 23 March 2014 ). I'm at 5:28, need 5:21 for 7th and overhaul that bunch at 5:2x. If the foot holds, Ealing on Friday for a flyer.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Your friend's coach sounds like a right bastard, Johnas.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

nah, he's alright and he's right. we have some lofty targets for summer and VMLM would impact no matter how 'easy' i ran it.

got to give the marafun respect, innit blud

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

not if you have enough belieffe, cos then anything is possible....

Why trust a coach, when you can listen to a bus image

Top 10 beckons Philip, but don't go hurting yourself at this point!!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Aw, come on, a nice easy 2:59 wouldn't hurt anything.

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Bus, my avatars are entirely free. All I ask in return is that, in the next race we run together you 'accidentally' take out a couple of the favourites.

Lightish track session tonight. 2 x 2 miles @ threshold (5:27) followed by 2 x 400 (69, 68). Felt ok, but a bit sick from too much food.

Johnas, what about a Mo-style halfway job? Just to take in some of the atmosphere of the day, meet up with folks in the chanps start etc?

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

What, and face a constant barrage of abuse from Samir forever afterwards? Mo can barely take it...

If it gets my side-burns immortalised Dachs, then I'm happy to act as your hit-man  - just name 'em and I'll do 'emimage

• Getting your local rivals hit by a bus. Wow this thread is getting serious.

• literatin wrote (see)

Erm, I might have a 'friend' who wants to join your 'friend''s sub 3 train. Your 'friend' had better not give up half way leaving my 'friend' in the lurch though.

Is this about doggingimage Shame about your friend's bigger picture Johnas.

I've been fairly busy with work. Car broke down Tue on the way to a remote meeting; sensed something wasn't right so didn't join the M3. It's been out the garage for about a week after the issue was supposedly solved.

45 mins run last night. It was a faster pace than normal for a given HR which I thought was odd as I was very tired. That said the day was fairly sedentary. I can feel the crap in the air making my chest tight. I can even smell/taste the crappy air when out this morning. Supposedly 45mins today...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

image Max!

Glad I'm not running here in Aylesbury at lunch today - might just be all the scare stories, but the air looks rancid! Looks like mist, but not quite. The run to the station up on the Chiltern scarp was fine though, so looks like the air is trapped in the vale

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's a bit misty and smelly here too. No obvious dust settling on stuff though, so I still did some mile reps.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

It's an option I havent ruled out Dachs. Sunday is my long run day anyway but it depends on getting permission from the other 'coach' in my life

you don't need me anyway Lit. You're going to smash it.

Nice to see you're still improving IC

• Johnas, can you get buy in for next year and defer? I appreciate you may not be in the same physical condition in a year.

45 mins at recovery HR today.

• Anyone doing 12 stage Sutton Park this Saturday?

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

no relay for me. Injury playing up

• Dean I'm sorry but missed injury what's wrong?