Beyond #asics262: life after Target 26.2 for sub-3:30 runner Malcolm

Comments

• DS2 go for it!! I was choked standing on the start line, I felt so proud to be there.

Malcs - I am sure you will be online, but just in case, GOOD LUCK and I'll look out for you. I'm really excited to see how you do after all this training, I am sure you will smash 3:30. PS the weather forecast is cooler up to 15C with light rain - nice (not).

• To anyone and everyone running this weekend...good luck.image  Enjoy it and rip the courses apart.

Malcs Just wanted to say its been a blast following you, the best man most definitely won the sub 3.30 category and this thread is 2,500+ posts proving it.

Good luck, enjoy yourself, hope you have a fantastic time. I am sure you will achieve your dream.  Catch up when you are back.imageimage

• Hi Malcs,

I have been reading this forum from the beginning but until now have not made a comment. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck in Paris and believe you should get sub 3:30.

I ran Sub 3:30 in Berlin last year for he first time, and all 26.2. miles were a joy! I believe this was down to pacing it perfectly. Even splits all the way round and I did it in Km for the first time as I felt this just gave me more control to adjust pace (And the fact Berlin doesn't have mile markers).

I will be running Paris on Sunday I hope, if I can recover from the cold I got this week, maybe see you there!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

DS2 - many thanks. Hmm, 1:36 second would be tough I think. That's not far off my previous half PB. If I did a 1:40 second I'd be over the moon but things would have to go very well for that.

marrows - lol, I admire your commitment. It's guaranteed to snow nowimage

I consider it an honour to be on your favourites list image

chickadeee - I'm with you on the heat but I think I'm getting better. I think DS2 may have a point about mental state and conditioning.

ArrowsLou - wow, your description of Boston is brilliant. Really makes it sound like an amazing race. 

Thanks so much for your support. I will listen out for you! 

That forecast sounds good to me. I don't mind rain - it means there are clouds image

Freemers - well done on the final intervals, another strong session!

Ha ha, many thanks! Perfect Franglais! image

SupermanRuns - you are too kind. I'm sure yourself, Kirsty or Marcus would all have done the same. Really appreciate your support. I wish you'd had more luck but you've managed some great training in between your couple of issues and you're looking good for the start line. Very best of luck to you!

Mphys - great to hear from you! Thanks for the good luck wishes and best of luck to you too! Are you in the yellow pen? I have been colour coordinated to match my pen perfectly image  Do give me a shout if you see me!

Hope that cold clears up, I'm sure it will. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

I don't think it will be as hot as it was at Spitfire for you on Sunday, so I'm sure you will cope very well. I have great faith in you!

• Best of luck for Sunday Malcs. It has been great reading your board, and following all your training. I hope that you have a good time and that the race goes well for you! I look forward to reading all about it when you are back.

My friends who are also running in Paris on Sunday were a very loud mix of excited and nervous when I saw them last night, which I am sure that you understand. I wish I had said yes when they asked me to join them back in October..... Still, I am doing Edinburgh, and working my way steadily towards that 20 mile long run!

• OMG, tough to catch up today!  Thanks for the luck Jenf, just one run filming a camel world record attempt on a brand new Parkrun course due to a murder investigation on our regular course (u can't make this stuff up) to go before marathon Sunday!  Eeeek! Fwiw, my legs feel big and strong image

I feel better about my time in Halstead last year ds2 after hearing urs was double +17- so many people tell me those lumps are worth at least 10 minutes of time.  I did 4:18 off a 1:56 half... So can I now do 3:45 off a 1:43?  I bloody better!!  All of my marathons have been hot too, but I coped better in Halstead because of the shade from time to time, though I did suffer for a few miles when I threw down my bottle having miscalculated how far it was to the next water station that actually had my drink on it'll, hey ho...

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

MacFinbob - many thanks! 

Edinburgh is in May right? Still quite a few weeks to go then before you hit the madness of the taper. Best of luck with the rest of your training! 

Angela - I reckon you have a great chance. You have one thing that alot of people struggle with and that's belief. Your training backs up what you're trying to achieve so you have every right to feel confident.

Just don't have some freak accident filming that flippin' camel! image

• Hi Malcs,

Yes in the yellow pen, will give you a shout if I see you may need to use you as a pacer image. I will be in my running club's Purple vest!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

TODAY'S SESSION

Week16 - Thursday

Last Training Run image

3M easy (approx 27 mins) with 3 marathon pace 100m strides

I had mixed emotions about this one. I was excited to be embarking on my last run of the training. I was a bit scared that something might pop or crunch or fall off! image But of course I was a little sad too. 

I have absolutely loved every part of the training. For me this has been the best part of the whole process. I've had very few bad runs - most of them have been great and thanks to Steve's excellent programme every session has offered something different.

The 3 miles today went just fine. I shot in a few strides and felt comfortable with them. I wasn't sure exactly what pace I did them at but when I got home I checked and they were around the 7:30 mark. Pretty happy that 7:30 felt fine especially as it was another warm day here.

It's a rare thing for me to complete the final week's running. Usually I'm injured and resting up hoping to be fit on the day. I've never run 3 midweek back to back runs in the last week either. On the few occasions when I have been fit I've been paranoid about overdoing it or injuring myself.

Completing the week in itself is a massive confidence booster and I just can't wait for Sunday!

So that's it now. Just the big one to go. It's been a tough day keeping the nerves at bay and as I'm typing this I can feel them kicking in again. 

We leave first thing in the morning but I'll be back here on and off for the rest of today. After that I believe there should be wifi in the hotel so I'll get on when I can.

Thanks for all the support folks, I really appreciate it. 

Run Summary: 3.1 miles in 26:14

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Mphys - excellent. I'm planning on going in the left side (as you face the start line). Hopefully see you there!

• Wishing you loads of luck for Sunday. Steve has done a great job and you're perfectly prepared. Listen to his race plan and have a blast. Can't wait to see your sub 3.30 posting.

Will be following you all the way.

• SlowkoalaSlowkoala ✭✭✭

Good luck Malcs! Can't wait to hear how it all went on Sunday.

For what it's worth, I ran 3:29 last year off a 1:35 half (double plus 19) so I feel sure that you're going to really smash your target. Run the first 20 with your head and the final 6 with your heart image

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Great words Slowkoala - that goes for all of you running a marathon this week!

The very best of luck to you all.

Malcs - I felt quite sad reading your account of today's run. Also, I felt quite inspired!
  • Me too!

Beware the plummetting BEs folks, & have a blast Malcs & all you others who are running the big one this week.
  • Sticky88Sticky88 ✭✭✭

OMG Malcs, it's almost time! And you had your last training run! Very best of luck, and enjoy every moment of it! Paris was my first, 2 years ago, it holds special memories for me. I'm sure yours will have amazing memories of a sub 3:30 PB! image

• I can't believe your last training run has now been and gone. You're going to have such a great run in Paris. enjoy the next couple of days of carb loading!

i'll be watching your pace with interest to get some tips for my pace in London. Taper madness has set in and I am now doubting what I am capable of.

You are going to have an amazing weekend and I have no doubt you will finish strong in Paris image

• Malcs - absolutely loved following this thread for the past 4 months or so, cannot believe that it's nearing the end image

Have a great weekend, enjoy the run, and SMASH that PB, we all know that you can do it!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Sarah - yes Steve has been amazing. I will save thanking him until the end. 

Thanks for everything you've done for me. Most people won't know about all the assistance and reassurance you've provided behind the scenes. 

Slowkoala - excellent advice there, I will remember that come Sunday for sure. Thanks again.

DS2 - sad but happy too. Mainly happy though image 

Really appreciate your continues help and advice. Looking forward to cheering you and the others on in London!

reikirabbit - cheers! I'll enjoy it whatever happens I'm sure image

Sticky88 - I know, it feels really weird to think that it's almost time to do the business.

Runbikecat - ha ha, yes I'm looking forward to eating now. Been cutting back a little recently. No doubts please at this stage! If you look back at the training you'll see you have every right to achieve your goal!

Sean - been an honour and a pleasure sir. Thanks for all your support!

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Just making up all the food for tomorrow. Pasta done. Malt loaf done. Bread next image

Can't believe it's nearly 9:30 already!

• Happy about the aboveimageimageimageimage  Enjoy it all. I  canny wait to hear all about it!

• Malcs - good luck for Sunday, travel safe! Have a brill carb load! image  I'm sure you'll smash your target image

• Just added the Paris Marathon App to my phone and added Malcolm Barbour to my favourites to keep track on the day!!!
  • MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Ruth - I knew you'd be watching! Bread done so I'm all set for carbs on the move image

Thanks for your brilliant help all through this process!

Rachel - cheers muchly!

Sean - ha ha, excellent image

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

Very best of luck for Sunday to Nayan, Angela and SupermanRuns!

Thanks for sharing the journey. You've all been brilliant.

Go kick some tarmac butt! image

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

You too mate. All the bestimage

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Good luck Malcs, enjoy it all image.

And good luck to our first wave of runners everywhere on Sunday.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Yes, good luck everyone image
  • PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Good Morning Malcs, journey's not finished so don't start your long goodbyes.  You have a little race to run and then a report to write. (or just copy RRR's and change the names, no one will notice image ).  Also there is life after Paris.

I hope to see you but it's unlikely that our paths will cross unless I take a short cut.  As they say in France "Merde" it's means good luck, seriously ! Everything is back to front in France although I wouldn't wish good luck to a Gendarme. Enjoy image