Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

After a p!ss-poor set of mile reps last night* (had heavy legs before I started and don't think the gritty air helped either: even my dinner afterwards tasted of what I assume was the Sahara) off for a doubtless plodtastic 10M shortly.  No block of training is complete without one inexplicably poor session or race, and that's hopefully mine out of the way!

* Let's just say the pace was considerably slower than Lit's.  You are flying!  Please don't restrict yourself to 3.05 after your great HM and 5k times recently, plus those reps.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Isn't mara season great. Most of us are looking forward to a big race in the next couple of weeks. Time for nerves, worries, niggles etc. Last minute panics. The annual ritual of trudging to the a*se end of Docklands for many. Carefully folding and packing the lucky orange shirt. Drinking gallons of liquid beetroot.

Cards on the table, not done any planned or structured training in the conventional sense but still going to have a good day out and hopefully hit the target.

Fingers crossed for racers this w/e
  • That's well speedy Lit, if you don't go for sub 3 in London I'm going to beat you up! 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

AR - yes, only 3 days to go - started carb-load today.  Forecast mild/damp/SW wind of 13mph.
    Hope your 9 easy days brings the desired benefits.

Lit - as Jools said - look at the evidence, trust the training, don't limit yourself . . . .

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Go Lit, remember that the faster you are, the faster Ant and Lorenzo will be in your slipstream.

Birch - slightly chilly and foggy this side of the Pennines today. But I'm in the hills so maybe nicer in Manc.
  • Poacher wrote (see)
    Go Lit, remember that the faster you are, the faster Ant and Lorenzo will be in your slipstream.

Don't you mean the less time you'll have to put up with the sound of two older blokes huffing and puffing behind you!

Cracking pace there Lit - +1 for what Speedy says.

Finished off my carton of beetroot juice this morning - have to wait until Saturday before another one arrives. image

Impressive tempo run from Gul

10 miles with 2 x 4 miles at MP planned this morning. Miles in the first set all in the 7:05-7:10 range, 2nd set had 3 of the miles in the 6:55-7:05 range and a 7:13 for the slightly uphill stretch. 

Planning on a parkrun on Saturday morning for my last speedwork session - anyone else doing that, or is it unwise? The MT folks seemed to think it was OK.

• Lorenzo, I'm doing the National Road Relays on Saturday, which will be a similar distance. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Lorenzo, you mean you and Speedy are both going to beat me up?!

Don't worry, though, I work to pace ranges, not specific targets, so won't sell myself short if I can help it, and sub 3 is sub 3:05. We'll see how it goes.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The photo was 2010- smile is only for the camera.

Those splits look impressive Lit....

• There's a stomach bug doing the rounds at work, and I fear I may have been afflicted. Suddenly feeling decidedly queasy. 3 people have been off with it so far, but just a 24 hour thing it seems. Or maybe not, if they've passed it on to me. Aaaargh. This is NOT the way to reach race weight (although I suppose it might help!)

• literatin wrote (see)

Lorenzo, you mean you and Speedy are both going to beat me up?!

Lit - er, no. Didn't mean it to come across that way. I'll just look forward to seeing you with a big sub-3 type smile on your face at the end.

• All you super fast lot are not helping the creeping doubts! In London for few days and run easy 4 and felt like crap. Putting it down to the super smog, yum!

Also having lots of questions from colleagues asking why I am limping. Great confidence booster with 3 days to go.

Had a pint of beetroot juice yesterday. Had shock of my life when I went to the loo this morning. TMI I know, but that stuff should come with a warning! Looked like a scene from Saw.

Good running everyone. Hope your illness is a quick one CC2
  • Poacher wrote (see)

No, she ran her a*se off today, so what is there left to follow?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Ant - nice reps; sounding more confident too.|
    AR - pleased to hear things are settling down nicely.
    Leslie - well done on notching up another 20 miler.
    SB - nice finish to the training - now enjoy the carbo-loading!
    Abbers - nice HMP running. Enjoy the rest day.
    literatin - 5:52, 5:45, 5:44!!! I think I'd need 2 hours rather than 2 min recoveries for that lot - smokin'!
    GM - good luck with the test run.
    Jools - blame it on the air pollution.
    Birch - best wishes and happy carbo-loading!
    Lorenzo - excellent MP miles. If you feel 100%, then parkrun should be OK.
    Speedy - get well soon - hope it doesn't affect the road relay.
    6JT - a pint of beetroot juice - yum yum.
    6 plodtastic miles d&d.
    The excitement and tension is getting unbearable.

• lit, of course this is a public forum and we all censor to some degree what we say in public, what we say to our coach and what we say in our own heads. It is always fun to speculate about "will she or won't she"  but please be sure in your own mind of your real targets. If you think you are in sub-3 form then you need to put in place a plan that allows this to happen. If you target 3:05 then the sensible route takes you through halfway in the 91:00 to 91:30 range. This is just inside 7 minute pace. Continue that to 20 miles and 3:05 is yours with 7:18 over the last 6.2, 3:00 needs 6:30 which is going to be hard.

If you have a sub-3 in you (and for what it is worth, I think you do have such) then you need to be clear in your mind (and tease as much as you like on the forum) with the plan that gets it for you, and IMHO that is a small positive split, so halfway in 89 or a tad faster.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Don't worry, PMJ, I have never either targeted 3:05 or said I was planning to - I said sub-3:05 (and stand by that) as my PB is 3:06 and I would like to beat that by a comfortable enough margin. As for how 'sub' I plan to run, I think I can probably finish somewhere between 2:59 and 3:02, will be delighted if I do, and think that a first half around 89 minutes (but not too much faster) would be a sensible strategy for anything in that range.

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Good luck to Rich26, Fingers, Sporty Badger, 6JT, BACG, Mennania, OO-51 and Knight rider in your marathons. Also good luck to GM in your 10k and anyone else I might have missed. I look forward to all the reports.

I’ve been rolling, stretching, massaging and icing like mad and I think I’ve got my ITB problem under control. I haven’t run fast this week so the real test will be a tempo effort Parkrun tomorrow during a 15 miler.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Lit - you sound like you have a sensible plan, have committed to it and don't have the doubts that some of us are currently fighting with. More power to you, and I look forward to seeing the results.

Jools - good to get the bad session out of the way!

Poacher - so is that a 3:15 target for VLM then? Which start are you going from? (Presume it's red)

Lorenzo - looking good. Wouldn't have thought a Parkrun 8 days out would be a problem.

Speedy - gloves, facemask, all the usual precautions! And if you do catch it, and least it's now and not this time next week.

6JT - crap runs are just part of the taper, right? Save the good one for Sunday. Beetroot juice clearly doing its usual thing!

Gul - all that excitment, and you're not even racing! I agree though, looking forward to the weekend performances and reports, which will put me right in the mood for VLM.

GM - what news on the fitness test?

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Off to Paris presently - Good luck to all racers this weekend - Have a good un'image

• Speedy, turning up for work this morning:

/members/images/83537/Gallery/untitled.png

My VLM registration form has arrived! Yoo-hoo!imageimage

I did a crappy taper-style run this morning, 5 miles with 3 @ MP pace and felt a bit rubbish all the way round - the MP section felt a lot harder than I suspect it should have, as well. I refuse to worry about it, though, as I was bashed about by the physio yesterday and I know from experience that this is normal.

It is, isn't it?imageimageimage

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Bon chance Menn!! Give my regards to the cobbles in the Bois de Boulogne.

Tarts: I'm on the beetroot too but not a pint a day image
    Surely you can't resist having a slash standing at a urinal next to a colleague and starting to scream as the purple flood hoses down?

You've reminded me of a former colleague that was having digestive issues. I informed him that I occassionally had similar symptoms and prune juice really helped. That night he went home and bought some.

The following morning a member of his team came to me and said he failed to turn up for work and it was all my fault? Turns out the silly sod downed THE WHOLE BOTTLE that evening. While driving to work the next day, the juice started to do it's work, he had to quickly race home, crashed the front door open and barely made it to the pan before his body evacuated most of his insides leaving only major organs behind.
    The following day he appeared, rather drained and told me he'd been on and off the bog for hours. Brilliant! image

SB

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    Sporty Badger wrote (see)

Bon chance Menn!!  

I think the appropriate thing to wish Menn is 'merde!' image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Rich, FINgers, Sporty B, 6JT, BACG, KR, Birch, OO-51, Menn & GM... in case any of you (or me for that matter!) don't get on later, have great races this weekend. You've done the training, you have your plans in place; time to execute. I look forward to hearing your tales of triumph!

Ant - yes, I believe that's perfectly normalimage Great pic by the way! image

Sporty B - that's quality. All your fault though, quite clearlyimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Haha I need that outfit too.

Had another few days of feeling ill again this week and done pretty much nowt since Sunday's run (apart from 5 miles on Tuesday).

Going to do a MP run tonight.

I've got the beet juice on an intravenous drip.....

• Having eaten a milk chocolate caramel wafer (apparently over 5,000,000 made and sold every week) this morning I pondered over the MT nutrition discussion. Apparently we all have enough carbs in our bodies for over 3.5 hours exercise so good news for the sub 3:15 brigade is that carbs work for us. If you run slower you need to burn fat, but if you are quick you can use nasty carbs. 

Mile rep (singular) at lunchtime, 5 miles warm up, 1 mile in 5:26, 5 miles cool down. Mile will be 5:26 or 5:27 so will be a PB by 1 or 2 seconds.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭
    Ealing mile pmj? Did you win?
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

SB - I wish I had not read that as I was tucking into a beautiful fresh greek salad!

Abbers - Update is I am good to go but don't think I will go good. Did a 5k lunchrun along the course and avg 7mm felt harder than it should have. I've run 4 times in the past 14 days, total mileage being about 14, obviously didn't have a choice but I don't think I was sharp enough before the lay off anyway. That combined with an carrying an extra 4kgs since last Autumn doesn't exactly bode well for Sunday. It's incredible how quickly one can lose that edge in a matter of months. This time two months ago I was doing ok but hey hey you gotta roll with it. I am going to run simply beacuse I can't bear the thought of not knowing and I am over the worst of my injury problem. Sub 40 will be a huge ask I'd say low 41 is more likely. Being philisophical about it, I'm just happy to be back running.image

BB - Thanks and glad you got the ITB sorted! Sounds painful though.

PMJ - Nice fast mile there.

Speedy - My son's school has been plagued by the norovirus and it seems to be going round my office building now as well. I hope I can avoid it and you too.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Does anyone else read PMJ's reps and say "Fugging Hell!!" image

Top bombing, Sir.

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Minni - hope it's just a temporary setback. You've been through the mill this campaign!

PMJ - quick mile there - on target for VLM. Really looking forward to seeing what you can do off such consistent, dedicated (and fast) training.

GM - at least you're in the game. Better than watching from the sidelines. BTW, like your avatar image

SB - carb loading going well?

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Abbers: eating like a horse, drinking like a fish! I've never been so hydrated. 500ml of freshly squeezed orange juice with bits in just went in two gulps. I've had to setup a hot desk next to the urinals at work to save travel time!

Off to the Brighton expo tonight with a couple of pals also doing the marathon and have just secured a table for 3 in an italian pasta emporium.

Just finished a packet of Smarties. Essential sugars 2 days before the race! image

SB