Sub 3h15

Comments

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭
    Sporty Badger wrote (see)

Abbers: eating like a horse, drinking like a fish! I've never been so hydrated.

I'm looking forward to some maximum hydration too, although mostly it will come during my week in the Lakes post-London! image

• marrows wrote (see)
    Ealing mile pmj? Did you win?

Yes it was the Ealing mile, no I did not win. Came 4th behind: winner was just inside 5. It is a target for me over the summer, need to get down towards 5:15. The start is good, I am controlled and well back in the field, then as others pay for their fast starts I pull back up the rankings but I just can't work the body hard enough towards the end. I finish, catch my breath and run home at 7:30 pace: I need to retch on the line and be out of action for at least 15 minutes.

• Excellent summary PMJ. What you need is a dog-rival. One who really needs to be beaten and who is the dead same pace. The sort of Coe/Ovett love hate relationship.

As for the developing thread rivalry, I am actually unsure of who is the fastest on here. Never mind the history book, we are interested in the form book. I see it as very even, with no quarter given by the ladies and none sought.

Let's have a race. Say, is next Sunday OK?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Good plan Blisters. I'll keep a watching brief from about 20 mins back image

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Yes that's true, for now anyway.

PMJ - Sounds like you need to do a Roger B!

Queue a short story about one of the best milers ever, IMHO.

My old man told me a story once & it goes like this, he a very decent runner who ran a 4:19 mile, one evening he was out running in the Phoenix park in Dublin and he had covered about 5k or so at tempo pace, which was sub 6mm, he picked up the pace to hit nearer his 10k pace of 5mm, when suddenly he heard someone coming behind him but the runner was ever so quite but obviosly fast! He turned around only to see The Chairman of the Boards himself Eamonn Coghlan, they ran together for about a mile or so, my Dad said to him, go on then give me the verdict, Eamonn commented and said he had been tracking him for a few miles and said "you have good form and your breathing is very controlled" and with that he shot off into the distance and was out of sight in no time. My old man said it was a surreal moment and watching him take off like that was a very humbling but incredible experience.

• Great story GM,

With regards speed of people on here I'm on of the slowest, but I win on the weight scales, he he

3 at mp felt good. No runs now till race day. Come on! At the very least i'll get a medal for finishing LOL
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Rich - The very best of luck for Sunday!

Abbers - The recent Avatar addition is my 5 year son Seb and his fur bruddah 'Tiger De Wit'.

• GM, great story there. I'll keep my tales with me and Ovett, Cram and Moorcroft (3 tales, not all three in one tale) for another day.

• Blisters wrote (see)

Let's have a race. Say, is next Sunday OK?

That's fighting talk, but not as much as "There will be a pint waiting for you at Chandos."

• Just in case I/you don't get a chance to get on here again before Sunday, I'd like to send my very best wishes to Rich,FINgers, Sporty B, Tarts, Gaz, Mennania, OO-51 and KR in your respective marathons. I will be keeping my fingers crossed for you all, and hoping everybody does the best they can on the day, whether or not they reach their targets. Looking forward to the reports already!

You know the traditional thread entreaty in these cases: Don't Be S**t!!image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Good luck SB- I'm just sipping a nice glass or rose to chill before I set off tomorrow.

Reflecting on the marathon year. It started bad with bad cold over Christmas costing me 2 weeks. Then I discovered living away mid week was good for training. Had a great few weeks sometimes running twice a day. For a while I flirted with the idea that another sub 3 might be on. Then a couple of minor injuries. Not the famous hip but calf and knee, which put an end to me foolish dreams. The last few weeks have gone well. My 5 k pace is back but my few long races have not been great. I'm 5 pounds heavier than my normal race weight and picked up a cold in the last few days. Having said all that I'm a chilled old guy. No stress, no panic- there are bigger issues in life that my marathon time. Take care all, and have a great w/end.     

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO - i too feel pretty relaxed about things - as I've said before, I'm grateful now to have the chance of pitting myself against the distance again after fearing "fitness jogging" was to be my future. Saying that, though, I still have the desire to be the best I can on the day, and if I can say I achieved it, then that will do me. Good luck to you, Menna, and all the other weekend marathoners. 
    Philip - I trust your morning snack was one of these 

/members/images/396841/Gallery/Wafer.jpg

. . .    the king of Wafers  . . . . .

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Go well Birch and all!

• Brighton forecast: Heavy rain and windy. Shamazeballs. Lets hope its not the wrong type of rain...
  • Paris looks a little better. Light rain.
  • Good luck all racing this weekendimage Training will pay off!

Cheers Abbers, enjoy yer last 12 MP? I loved that run last week and it's set me up nicely! getting nervous now!

Cheers Gerard, hope yours goes to plan too!  you gonna run as fast as your old man could?? wouldn't that be great??image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

My guess on PMJ's choice of wafer was Tunnock's as well. Preferred the wafer to the tea cake, but both are very acceptable.

Good luck Birch with setting your new  'Comeback PB',  OO with your new Race Weight PW (same here) and to every one else running in the North, South, and across the Chanel

• TRTR ✭✭✭

All the best to the weekend racers, I hope that the marathon gods smile on you.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all those marathoning this weekend!  I'm relying on Ant to have been accurate, so hope this list is correct: Rich,FINgers, Sporty B, Tarts, Gaz, Mennania, OO-51and KR image

Fingers crossed B&W is clinging onto having a complete B team for the road relays tomorrow - long old way to go for 2.7M otherwise!  7M including 8 sets of strides this afternoon in preparation.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Rich - Thanks. Hah, no chance, old man was like a train. Unlike me he never smoked, ate all the right food and was bl00dy good at every sport he turned his hand to. I would like to run one mile in 5 mins or there about one day.

On the subject of weather, seems the gods are against me in that respect as well, 20mph winds!

• Birch, AR, you were right, apart from a wafer became two so it was they rather than it.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Nice wafer choice.

The very best of luck to our racers this weekend. Be brave and be proud. You will not be shit. 

• I hope I'm not too late to wish good luck to our weekend marathon runners. I can't wait to read the reports! 

I did have the bug, but only a minor version of it. That said, I really struggled to run 3 miles this evening. I have been stuffing myself with food in the hopes that I will feel less light headed and other worldly in the relays tomorrow. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Best of luck to all marathon runners this weekend, you've done all the hard work and now just the easy bit to go ( well, for the first 20 miles anyway!)

Hope you all reach your goals and I look forward to some inspirational reports.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Oh, and tasty mile PMJ and tasty mile reps Lit. Both of you are in great form.

• Good luck Gerard in your 10k, too, of course. I enjoyed that story about your old man - do him proud on Sunday.

Jools - Don't worry, you can rely on me, probablyimage.

Speedy - Glad to hear you're feeling better. Good luck tomorrow.

I wonder if MM and/or Jezza are lurking? I bet they are, at this time of year.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Go race, and remember that if you can keep going in approximately the right direction for long enough, the pain WILL eventualy be over

• Good luck to all the marathon runners this weekend, I'm looking forward to the epic tales of derring do on Sunday night.

I'm actually going to run my parkrun tomorrow for the first time in 2 years. It's our 250th run and I've run it a grand total of 8 times so far (but well over 200 volunteerings). It'll be interesting to see how I get on, but I'll be happy if it's under 20.

• Best of luck to the Paris and Brighton posses in their exploits - do the thread proud!!

• I have been lurking for too long. Good luck too everyone racing this weekend, hope you get everything you wish for...