Sub 3h15

Comments

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Rich - Giggles!image

Looking forward to seeing how Bekele gets on tomorrow. I wonder if Mo will be watching, that is, if he is not out running himself.

• Rich - I'll swap your giggles for my niggles any day! I looked at the route at Lochaber and it looks really beautiful. Good luck again - and try to enjoy it.

Excellent Parkrun PBs from Lorenzo and Marrows - what a timely confidence booster.

Martin - You are flying and it all bodes very well for you at VLM. Good to hear your impressive niggle collection was kept at bay.

Speedy - Going from strength to strength. Another excellent run - what distance was it? Apparently, Reading your report, the key for women runners is to be either very tall  or very short. Did you mention Hannah England? image Was the stomach bug thing a false alarm in the end?

I'm in full-on taper mode, legs feeling like death, or even achier. 12M planned for tomorrow incl. some miles @ MP. The only time my legs don't twinge, ache and ping is when I'm running, in fact.

What are my fellow VLMers up to tomorrow?

• The bug only lasted the one evening, thankfully! And luckily it was a scheduled rest day anyway. The distance was 2.69 miles according to the Athletics Weekly website. They changed it due to the condition of the road apparently. Not that the road relays were ever a sensible round number type of distance. And yes, I did mention Hannah England, but I was more impressed by following Susan Partridge up the hill. 10th in the World Champs marathon means more to me than Hannah's short distance prowess. If only there had been a photographer there! I hope you're wrong about the height thing, because I am very average height. 

Likewise Ant, tomorrow will be 12 with some miles at MP. Given that today's race will be in my legs I won't worry too much about the actual pace. I think I'll watch the Paris marathon coverage before I head out.

• Yay for all the parkrun PBs today, particularly Marrows - 30 secs is quite a chunk!

CC2 & Jools - excellent stuff, must be fun running in that standard of event. 2 years ago when fit I might have had a chance at qualifying for our team, now even if fit I'd have no chance unless about 10 drop out!

19:46 at the parkrun today. I was a bit late arriving and as Event Director I got dragged in to organising something or other and I ended up setting off to warm up a bit too late. I was going to run the whole course (to make sure I could remember it as I've never run the current course before), but rather than cutting it short I ended up running it too fast and only made it back to the start with a couple of minutes to spare, just time to strip off and jog to the start. End result was I was still a bit out of breath even before we started. My plan for the run was to latch on to a guy who's been running solid 19:40-19:50s the last few weeks, and I managed it for the first km but then slowly dropped back and ended up running with the first lady instead. There's a bit of an incline at 4km and I dropped back a couple of seconds going up the hill, and that was it - I maintained the gap and ended up with 19:46. Turned out the chap I planned to follow ran 19:15, which to be fair is a better reflection of what he usually does as I forgot the last few weeks he's been running another hour+ after the parkrun, hence the slower times.
    It was an interesting run though despite those couple of basic cock ups, plus completely forgetting my Garmin. Up until the incline at 4km I was running reasonably comfortably in aerobic terms, and still wasn't properly flat out until near the end, but I just don't seem to have the legs to match at the moment. A bit of speedwork though so my legs can match the heart & lungs and I'm sure I can take a decent chunk off that time.

• You said you'd be happy with sub 20 BOTF, and you were well under even having worn yourself out beforehand. You have to be happy with that for now surely? Especially when you know there's more to come.

• Yes, quite satisfied, not getting so down on myself now the marathon is forgotten.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

BOTF - Well done and well under 20 mins, that counts as return to form of sorts.

Not only has Hannah's got a WC silver, she is very easy on the eye!image 

Speedy - What was the race you ran today, sorry might have missed it in an earlier post, sounded pretty stacked with talent.

Ant - Your legs have been programmed to run for hours on end, it's not a surprise they get twitchy when not running.image

• The National 6-Stage Relays, Gerard. Just for you, here's Hannah not long after she passed me. 

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1932429_611094855634032_2469211167802420846_n.jpg

• TRTR ✭✭✭

CC - you had best post up a rear view so that you can confirm that she is the runner that over took you...............beats the pictures of himself that PMJ keeps posting up too !

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Speedy - I am indebted to you for posting that pic, she's a dream! Did you clock the guy in the background with the black & orange tights checking her out. Can't blame him.

TR - Hehe. Hope you didn't choke on your cereal.image

• I'm afraid I wasn't carrying a camera TR, but if you feel so inclined you can check out the pictures by Mudrunnersports on Facebook. They're in order. There's a hideous one of me and the little blonde lady just after the one of Laura Weightman, who looks amazing. We don't look like we should be in the same race!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Each to their own. She's a bit quick for my tastes, I reckon poacher running vlm 12 still clinches it in the glamour awards.

• 16:16? FFS Speedy, that is seriously competitive. No wonder you were mixing it. Don't you just hate that uphill finish?

Poacher wrote (see)

Manchester mara weather: wet overnight, drizzly, slight breeze, not that cold, might be a bit humid. That's this afternoon anyway

Yup, I recognise that as a typical Manchester weather forecast. I could give you that forecast for November, June or even August.

• Good luck to all the racers this weekend. Marathon season has started. Sorry I've not posted for a while been really busy. Looks like heavy rain in Manchester tomorrow!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Grreat relays and 5ks folks.

My daughter has bashed my car and I am pished. Have to be up in less than 5 hours to run before rugby.

Good luck marathoners! Ben Nevis holds nice running memories for me. But best of luck to OO, as a fellow NE'er in Paris.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Manchester: raining reasonably hard tonight.

Minni - get the coffee on

Moof - this year will be even more glam
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - 10s PB - excellent.
    Speedy - great performance at the National Road Relays.
    BOTF - nice sub 20 parkrun.

Brighton - 11C / Thick Cloud / Wind Speed 10mph
    Jersey - 13C / Light Cloud / Wind Speeed 18mph
    Lochaber - 12C / Heavy Rain / Wind Speed 9mph
    Manchester - 13C / Light Cloud (Rain late morning) / Wind Speed 13mph
    Paris - 13C / Light Cloud / Wind Speed 6mph

Go guys, go!!!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Gul - Loving the weather summary for today's various race locations! Paris looks ideal doesn't it?

Speedy - I just clocked your time for the relays y'day, crikey, that's very impressive. Was Lit involved as well?

• DoddsDodds ✭✭

Ant - Just back from 12 miles.  Ran miles 7 -10 at MP.  Felt about right, it was actually hard to slow down for last two.  Good luck to all racers today.

• 6.5 gentle and rather pleasant miles for me this morning at an easy 8 min pace. Bit of rain at times, but not enough to dampen the spirit.

Sending good vibes north, south and across the Channel to all those out there at the moment. Looking forward to the reports later.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Rainy and cool on the South Coast today, but probably a bit too breezy when heading east.

• Doing some serious online marathon stalking, and things are getting to the really interesting stage - come on, fellas!!

Welcome Dodds, good work this morning. I take it you're doing VLM, then - what are your objectives and how has your training gone?

12 miles for me @ av 7:12mm, with the last 6 @ 6:55. Gloriously niggle-free. I am readyimage.

There's always something, though, isn't there? I got home to discover my keys had fallen out, who knows where or when.. Mrs Ant not amusedimageimage.

• Doing the stalking too, two KRs are racing at Manchester, hope ours is the faster.

• Ant - looking good. What's your pacing strategy for next Sunday? I'm still looking at 22 mins for every 5K which I reckon is 3:05 pace or thereabouts, so allows for a bit of fade.

• Lorenzo - Yes, that's my plan, too - and I'm sticking to itimage. I would like to get to half way in about 1:32, and see how things go from there.

Er, sounds like a tough morning at the Manchester office - unless your name is Tom Williams, that is.

• DoddsDodds ✭✭

Ant - Thank you and yes VLM. Campaign has gone to v well apart from a giggle (SIC) on a knee, after jumping my millage nearly 25% in one week! Chasing a GFA time, for 2016, but feel ready to go out at 3.10 pace, to allow for fade or see what happens. I lost two keys this winter, before I found a hole in my pocket.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

I wouldnt know what the real names were to be able to stalk them, is Tom Williams from this thread ?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

TR - he is one of the MarathonTalk presenters

12 miles easy run today ended at mile 7 as a DNF. I think my best chances are to not run between now and next Sunday so I will pop back on the elliptical and rower, and plan the best DNF point on the VLM route to get an easy ride back if needed

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

AR: Narrow Street is near Limehouse DLR and so you could drop out pretty easily there.  Hope the rest helps and this isn't necessary!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Busy stalking at the mo. I can Menn's result but OO. Hope OO got round ok. Great win for Bekele today will be watching that later. Poor race for me today, didn't have the fitness required to go well which I kinda expected. Time was 39:43 but blooming short course again. I reckon 10k would have been 40:30 ish if it had been measured correctly. Report to follow later.