Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• Toby found this earlier. I think it sounds pretty accurate, especially after last year.

• Do I win the award for longest gap between posts, last one being 16/4/13?

Always enjoy reading these posts in the days before the race. Concerned about the weather this year, I've only done sunny marathons!

Chippy B - That is the quickest route but it's a good half hour walk.

Going to set off from Preston Park at 3 hour pace, will most probably blow up after about 20 miles but we shall see.

Good luck all!
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    DYU wrote (see)

Evening all,  please can someone give advice on what to wear on heavy rain and 11 degrees marathon day.   I havent run on heavy rain days yet.

i feel 12 degrees rain is bit cold to wear my vest which I usually wear down to 9 degrees.

thanks in advance for any type of advice.

Hey DYU..  I'll be wearing a short-sleeved tee shirt.  Vest would be a bit cold for me - and to be honest, with the prospect of a cool wind off the sea, and being wet... I'm a  bit fearful I'll get cold.

My first marathon was in horrendous wind/rain and perhaps 10 deg - and I ran it with my light waterproof on, and that was fine (at 4hr pace). Wonder if I should have brought that with me for tomorrow! But I haven't.

One thing though, if you haven't run in heavy rain, maybe you haven't suffered runners' nipple.  For goodness sake, put plasters over your nipples - or some other form of protection.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭
    MarkD wrote (see)

Nose nowt. I'm not sure you can do that but if you can  I'd like to know too. If you can't then maybe they should put that in next years app?

Hey Mark,

Yvonne said that it's associated with the Brighton App, that you can download from the website.

All looks too complicated to me!  Much easier at Chester last year.

So I won't be bothering!

Good luck

• DYU wrote (see)

Evening all,  please can someone give advice on what to wear on heavy rain and 11 degrees marathon day.   I havent run on heavy rain days yet.

i feel 12 degrees rain is bit cold to wear my vest which I usually wear down to 9 degrees.

thanks in advance for any type of advice.

Hi DYU, I am having the same concerns. As the met says that it will be 12C, but feel like 8C.

I'm planning on not wearing my running vest and instead wearing a short sleeved t-shirt and a pair or running sleeves that I could take off if I get too warm.  Even if I don't wear the sleeves, I feel that I need something warmer than the vest.  

I'm also wearing a running hat to keep the rain from my eyes - personally I've found that makes a good difference as it keeps the rain out of my eyes.  I'm sticking with the shorts as legs will be doing a lot of work and the effort should keep them warm ish.

I have a throw away poncho to wear at the start, but if I didn't have that then the bin bag is a good idea that I've used before and works well to keep the wind and rain off while you are standing around before the race.

If anyone has any other thoughts or disagrees then please chime in as this is just my latest plan.

• evening all

well not long now good luck to all from me, Poohbear and Snowmaiden

• Just leaving now to head down to our Brighton hotel so we can be sure to make Preston park to see our friends start tomorrow. Good luck everyone hope you have a great marathon. Don't forget to post how you got on here and if you see a cold looking girl with long brown hair cheering you on it might be me image
  • Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Tucked up in bed. Feeling knacked.  need a good night's sleep.

Up early tomorrow too, because when I got to Preston Park Travelodge, I found that I was booked into the one on the sea front!  Grrr.  My fault.

Anyway....  Should get a good a good 8 hours in, if I can ignore the music booming from the nearby bars!   Good luck everyone.

• Can I just say good luck to all the runners
  • Nose nowt..it could of been worst. I'm in hickstead travel lodge
  • If anyone got room in there car . I lift would help
  • Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyoneimage
  • Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭
    I swear the BBC weather forecasting consists of looking out the window...
  • Morning guys have a good one!!! 

I always stay at the premier inn you can't fault it whatsoever, no noise,it's central, ok it's a nice walk to the start but it's close to the finish and it has a bar for my well earnt pint of guiness later in the evening!! 

• Just home now. What a cracking race that was! And the weather was absolutely perfect for running. Was dry all the way round and I didn't notice any wind at all. Got round in 3h 23m 06s. My second fastest marathon ever (PB is 3h 18m) and I'm absolutely delighted! Hung on to the 3h 15m pacer when I sad him around 10 miles off about 4 miles and knew I couldn't quite maintain that, but soldiered on. The last few miles always seem so tough! But great course, great crowds, great atmosphere. It was my first Brighton a Marathon, but it definitely won't be my last! Back in 2015 for sure!

The (hot) bath I just had was so needed. Rest of the day involves my sofa, the boat race and a well deserved curry (and some wine too!).

Hope everyone had a great race and got times they are pleased with!

• Great day watching the marathon and I can't wAit to be part of it next year. Definitely not going for a time for my first one that atmosphere looked amazing and I want to soak it all up.

Toby poohbear snow maiden and Yvonne I saw you all and cheered madly for you. You were all awesome especially snow maiden and poohbear! Wow!! Well done everyone
  • Evening all

well another Brighton marathon done and as i said ran with my daughter Snowmaiden glad to report we got around in 5:26:45 taking 1:44:00 off her time from last year

• Thanks Tillstar - lots of people were calling my name and I was trying to acknowledge all of them, hope I managed to smile at you when you called my name. 

Brilliant race - managed to knock almost 1hr 20 mins off of last year's time, coming in at 5:49:39 instead of 7:10, so well pleased with that time.  Hamstring decided to play up at mile 23 but still got a pb so am happy.

Congratulations to all who completed the Marathon today.  I hope you are all pleased with your times.

• Well done everyone - Great weather and lucky the forecast was wrong and it was a nice day.
  • I'm ecstatic. I was aiming for 5:30 and official chip time came in at 5:26:49! Compared to last year's 7:10:31 that's a new PB by just under 1hour and 44mins! And only 16:49mins over my 2 hours I was aiming to knock off to start with. 

However, I'm sore, shattered and I have a lovely blister across my back from where my bumbag was so I'm off to bed for a nap now. Hope everyone else got the times they wanted and had fun.

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Snowmaiden - fabulous time ????

Poohbear - I got cramp at 24 miles and that put pay to my sub 5hrs.

I finished Brighton in 5:06:34 pb by 1 min and 10 second. My pacing was the best I've ever done, so very happy about that

• Wow great time Snowmaiden and Poohbear too!  Saw the three of you on other side of the road near to the 5 mile marker as I walked to the finish zone but my shouting was lost in the noise.  Great and just reward for you for all the hard work and devotion to the marathon that you have put in during the last 12 months. Missed you all when you came through the baggage pickup!  Going for sub 5 next year!!????

Well done Tracey G on the pb! image

And well done to all those who ran today.  Cherish the aches and pains.  You put in a lot of training to earn them  image

• As a Brighton home boy I am very proud of my city today , you guys and girls turned out and pulled us all home!

i smashed my last year time by 30 mins

I smashed my pb by 4 mins

now getting smashed on beer and wine !

Well done you beautiful people!

n

• Yes Nigel... Being from Birmingham.. The crowd was awesome all through the streets.. Bright you are a credit
  • First ever marathon, and it was a cracker. Great crowd, great weather and the route was pretty good, except the 'road to hell'. Started going backwards for last few miles but still held on for 3:16:18 . I'll be back...