RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's a great PB for spoons. I think he is very happy. image
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Think so too image

2old: I posted earlier: 17.5 done but it was hard work.

I forgot cooks' real name so couldn't stalk him image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I also see Zuvia has sneaked a marathon pm today, or at least I think it's a pb.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    And not a bad time from Cooks.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- are you allowed to tell us ?  Pretty please image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Chick- sorry missed your post. Great job. The LR at this stage is always tough. We think we're finished but haven't really. My LR took me to 44 for the week in 4 runs not far off a 25% reduction. Don't feel the benefit from the reduction after a crap week

Well done marathon runners ... setting high standards
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hope the crappyness goes away by the 21stimage. 51 miles in 5 runs for me. Rest day tomorrow. Phew. Enjoy Spain. We are forecast a week of rain image
  • AA - Happy b'dayimage.

Sounds like some good mara times and some Pb's today. Obviously I should of been lining up at Manchester today, and weather didn't look too bad, except the wind, but hey hoy. 

Minni - How long are you going to leave it before you tell us what times Cooks/Mr Z/Spoons did. We could be waiting a very long time, if wer're waiting for them to postimage?

• Where did Zuvai run?

Spoons time was 3:__:__

Cooks time was 3:__:__

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomph- ok my guess. Spoons 3.14. Cooks 3.02. MrZ 3.15 

• hi gang - humble apologies for my mega lack of posting. After 2 years of shit running at Christmas I decided to make a load of changes in my life. One of them was to stop spending all my time of the internet and focus a bit more on life, work, training etc. 

Work has been mega busy. I also decided to cut out (nearly) all of the crap food and alcohol and see what difference it made. The main difference is that I have lost over a stone and managed to get through Jan - today with no injury or sickness. I also reduced my running mileage and added some cycling as I have an Ironman to do in August.

The consistent training paid off and although I am not as quick as I once was my long runs were all much stronger. I always started them slowly and finished them quickly. I also did shed loads of hill work. Considering in December I was shit and slow I have come on leaps and bounds in 3 months.

On to today - Brighton Marathon: it was perfect conditions. Cool, cloudy and a cool wind. There were a few bits where the wind was a bit harsh but not many. The first 10 miles was quite undulating and had a few sharp twists and turns which were quite sapping. However we were on pace after 1 mile. I ran with my GF as we both seem to be about the same pace at the minute. 

Everything was fine until mile 18 (isn't it always) when my quads got really tight and tired. I managed to push through and kept on pace until around mile 23. The last few miles I slowed quite a bit and crossed the line in 3:33:22 with my GF. 5 min PB for me and 11 min PB for her. 

Quads are absolutely smashed now! Off to the pub for half a shandy and a green salad...

Tomorrow I change from being a runner that cycles a bit to being a cyclist that runs a bit!

p.s. - I hate marathons....

• 2old ...wrong!

chick - excellent last long run. That's quite a way with 2 weeks to go but not with your mileage. 

Ive got the new RW with Mo on the front. Exciting!! Dd anyone seethe end of the Paris marathon today? Cyclist and people running all over the road. Didn't look like any railings or security! Mad. 

This time next week I shall be pissed!

thanks for your birthday wishes. 42 years young. shame my body feels double that in the mornings!!image

• Spoons - cross post. Great to see you here. You've done amazingly and so has your GF. Well done On all fronts image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Spoons- great to see you here again and congrats on grinding out your marathon. Are you going to stick around here a bit more. Enjoy the cycling

AA- see why I don't back horses

Simon- it's easier once the marathon you missed is passed. Next time
  • Spoons2 - Well done on you're and GF's Pb's. So the transition will be complete, when Spoons1 morphs into Spoons2 the IRONMANimage.

2old - Yes it could of been worse, I could of turned up and they cancelled it at the last minute ,  like Sheffield half today, due lack of water. Here's the story.....http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-26910318

• yay, Spoons + g.f get in!!

been perusing the new runners world, quite excited about watching Mo run next week + of course cheering you lot on image

nightmare re the Sheffield half mara, good on them for running it anyway!

• p.s hope you've had a wonderful birthday A.A image

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Congratulations to you & your gf Spoons image

I have my winnings 2old image

Not long to VLM for some of you. I have a run of 13 miles to do that day but will be swapping my training to the day before so I can glue myself to the TV from first thing on the Sunday.

11 miles banked this morning which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• Thanks guys. 

Happy Birthday AA

Hope everyone has a great VLM (or other spring marathon). 

I'll pop in occasionally but not 2 or 3 times a day!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Excellent stuff, spoons & GF image great to have you back even though you hate marathonsimage
  • image Go Spoons! Well done to you both on today's result, and great work losing the weight.  Enjoy the 'shandy and salad' (surely 26 miles means pizza and beer?!)

Happy Birthday AA! Hope it's been a good day.

Well done on the National win Pink.

Have completed the deferral process, I am now officially NOT running a marathon next week.  Number 235 will just have to wait until next year image So next weekend will be a long weekend away for the Northern Veggies to do a parkrun. 

• spoons - congrats to you and your gf, celebrate well.

aa - happy birthday.

Just under 2 hours on the bike this morning got back in time to watch bekele finish in Paris, impressive first marathon. 

• Spoons - great running and well deserved!

12M easy for me today - all present and correct. The wine has been put away. The early nights are starting - it's race week!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Spoons - brilliant result image

12 miles for me yesterday. Pretty windy round our way but a nice run, and we'd booked to go for Sunday lunch so had that to look forward too.

Looks like I won't get to the expo now until Saturday when I'm on my way down to my brothers. Hopefully it won't be too busy.
  • Spoons - congrats on both of your PBs.

Too much to catch up on here but good tapering and running going on, and I hope that everyone's niggles/illnesses disappear by the weekend.

12 miles easy-ish for me yesterday, wet and windy. I can't believe it's race week! Early to bed, avoid crowds, ill people, people in general where possible. Will start to decrease the fibre and protein in a couple of days and increase the carbs. Plans are all in place for the big weekend, and it's looking like the weather should be decent for racing and spectating - cool and dry with any luck. Excited!
  • Looks like 12 was the trendy amount yesterday. 

4 miles dress rehersal with bumbag, gels and kit this morning with 2@ 7:40 pace then a good stretching session. Sports massage booked tomorrow. will do another easy 4 on Wednesday. 

Whats everyone else's plan?

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

haha, yeah - the trendy 12 image  I have two more weeks to go image   with all the exciting race reports I really want mine out of the way.

I plan only gentle running over the next 2 weeks so my niggles can hopefully heal and allow me to run with not too much pain image.

P&D has 3x1600 @ 5k pace scheduled this week. No way. I've decided I'll do the 1600s at MP, not quicker. I fear there's nothing to be gained but there's a lot of potential to trigger more back problems if I go too fast now.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    AA - I was all gelled-up for my run on Sunday too as a trial - have had problems with gels falling out of my belt, so wanted to try a different strategy....3 in the belt (I found 3 loops where they don't fall out!), one in shorts pocket and one inside my (a-hem) running bra!

Chick - good idea to ease back now. P&D looks quite full on in the last couple of weeks and I'm never sure it's a wise idea.

My plan this week - 5 easy today, 5 Wednesday (with 2 @ MP) and 4 (with some strides) either Thursday or first thing Friday, depending on when I can fit it in.

BBC weather at the moment has Sunday at between 13 and 19 degrees max, with 11mph winds, and no rain. Hopefully the max temp will be at the lower end of that range, but overall I'm liking what I see image
  • I'm not going to do as much as P&D suggests either. Off the top of my head it's meant to be 6 recovery tomorrow, 7 with some MP on weds, 5 with strides on Friday and 4 easy on Saturday. I'm just going to do 6 easy tomorrow, 7 with 2 at MP on Thursday and maybe 3-4 easy on Friday. Then it's up early and off to London Saturday morning.