RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

What a day for you yesterday Spoons.  Brilliant effort from you and GF.  Like everyone else here I'm so pleased for you and it is well deserved.  It seems the healthy lifestyle suits you!image

Zuvai ran Manchester in a sneaky 3:26 and Cooks was a 3:19.  He's clearly capable of much faster than that but not sure what his training etc was like.

Yes, it seems 12 was the trendy number yesterday.  I went out and ran mine with a monster hangover. image

This week has 6 today, massage tomorrow, 6 on Wednesday with 3 x 1m @ HMP Pace (I think Moz must be back on the drink to set me that....), 3 recovery Thur, short jog Saturday. 

Expo on Friday.

• Hi all

Oomps - glad to see you’re still stalking me! Xx  I hope the long road back goes smoothly buddy.  Let me know if you’re up for a ykw sometime – I did the Reigate one a couple of weeks ago, that’s a bit of a mini-beast! I do still follow the thread but it is still hard to post – hope everyone who remembers me is well.  I have to say that I am very excited about Daren running a marathon – its nearly up there with Mo on Sunday! Spoons – well done, simply awesome.  I hope that you are hungover today! J

3.19, which I am very happy with.  Training has been bad.  Jan very good, early Feb fell over during long run, 2 weeks with minimal running (think I was partially in a weird kind of shock tbh) then inverse tapered the week leading up to the Brighton half.  Did just under 1.26 but gave myself patella tendonitis in my left knee in doing so (due to inverse taper) - annoying as it should have been a good pb but knee was pretty bad from half way and I foolishly tried to run through it – lost a couple of minutes in the last 3 miles.  Then no running at all for 2 weeks whilst see a consultant/have a scan – twas very painful but knew rest was the best way.  Left me no choice but another inverse taper which finalised in an 18 miler (shocking - had to walk the last mile) 2 and a half weeks ago and then a split 20 miler 10 days ago (for logistical reasons had to do 12 miles at lunchtime and then 8 at night and walked it in again). Also not too much ‘sandwich’ mileage as we have just added to the family – a puppy called Oscar and there is less chance to escape for a few miles in the evening/weekends due to training the little fella.

Therefore, had no real aim for time - just to go steady and hope to enjoy it.  Was on the fast start which was a first and very enjoyable. I ended up running with Steve Edwards (he of 100 marathon club fame) for pretty much the first half before he pushed on, in the end finishing in 3.11.  There is an air of effortlessness about him, mind you I guess there would be if you’ve run 500+ maras with most of them below 3.30.  Felt good up to 20ish and was in and around the 3.15 pacers and then had a wobble.  That bit is a nasty out and back of about 3 miles total around the Portslade power station, no real support apart from the Bloco Fogo drummers and it was a bit windy.  I got to the turn and decided to take a walk break for a couple of mins, which did the trick – started back up and 8 min miled it home.  What was nice was that I felt really comfortable in those last 4 and a bit miles (not like previous marathons) – gives me comfort that my overall endurance has improved and if I can string a decent training block together for Abingdon then I’ll be knocking on the door of a pb, hopefully a significant one J  Windermere before then, just for fun you understand J

Anyways, I’ll try to not leave it so long next time! All the best folks – especially for Sunday!!! There will be great times a plenty I am sure…….

G

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

cooksta! Well done yesterday.  If I knew you were going to drop by I wouldn't have posted your time, soz.  Sounds like you enjoyed it too.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Cooks- nice going there especially with PT-keep an eye on it as it put me out for a year.

Chick- I agree no way 5k pace unless it accidentally happens in a MP run. I haven't deferred VLM yet so in my mind I think it's still a possibility as well. Don't know why because it's not.

Minni- looks like your 12 went ok as no complaint about it from you.

Free- weather looks good

Jack-good plan for the week

I'm only running every other day as I could not face you guys if I DNS. It's hard not getting out there though even if it's 26c. Better have another look at the weather in Boston
  • Minni - cheers! No worries, I'll let you off....this once! image  I did enjoy it, second mara in a row with no pressure on time, just a bit annoying as I do want a serious go at getting near that big 3 barrier...... Aim for Sunday? I read that you've been having a bit of a time of it......

2old - cheers too.  Wise words - I've had it before during my footballing days so know a bit about managing it (and didn't have any issues at all yesterday save for a slight ache in the car afterwards).  That said, I am seeing a physio with a view to preventative s&c work as I don't want a repeat for Abo..... How did you get on top of it by the way?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Cooks: great to hear from you again and glad you enjoyed the run with a strong finish.

My plans for this week are 6 miles with the club tonight (tempo) but might drop down a group. Tomorrow 4/5 easy plus sports massage. Wednesday Osteopath, no running for 2 days and then a short run Friday with BA. Expo Thursday.  Roll on Sunday evening.........

• Cooks - Great report and race, and have fun with Oscar.

Free - Some people use a safety pin to secure the tear off part of the gel to a belt/ clothing. Then as you grab the gel body it rips the top off ready to gulp . Mine you your option sounds like a cheap way to get a wonderbra.
  • FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Simon - LOL image I think if I used the safety pin and rip technique I'd just end up squirting the gel everywhere!

Cooks - hello stranger! Great result there, particularly given your curtailed build up. There's a few of us doing Abingdon too, so hopefully see you there image

5 miles done....2 runs to go....
  • col.col. ✭✭✭

Spoons -  brilliant times from you and your GF. Well done on the pb.

Cooks -  well done yesterday especially given the build up

Barry - that's a fast 10 @ MP.

Minni - good MP in your 9m run. That looks a well balanced last week of training.

Chickadee - good running from you. Your MP is looking good!

Pinklady - congrats on the winnings!

AA - happy birthday!

Looks like 12m was the run to do for the VLM'ers. I did mine with a parkrun in the middle followed by by 2m at MP. I did have a coffee and biccie in between parkrun and the 5m run after though.  

• col.col. ✭✭✭

LONDON: 

Green Start: 

Minni - 28513 A- 3:12; B- sub 3:15, C- to finish 
    Freemers - 28451 A-3.12; B-3.14.59, C-3.16.19 (a one second PB). No pressure! 
    O4S - 29786 A- 3.51 [post 60 PB] B-sub 4.00, C sub GFA 

kfc - 29227 A- 3.20  B- 3.25  C-3.30

Blue Start: 

Jack - 6798 A- 3:29:59 B- 3:40 C- Finish (still a PB) 
    Mr O4S 2406 A - sub 4.15, B sub 5.00 [GFA for 2016] C - survive

Col - 4110 A- 3:12     B - 3:14:00 (pb)    C - 3:21:08 (course best)   

Champ start: 

AA - 501 A-3:18 B - 3:20 C - 3:23 feel a bit of a fraud to be honest being here!! 

BOSTON: 

2Old- 7976 wave1/8 A- 3.10; B-3.15; C-3.20 (all just under) 
    Chick - 13636 wave2/5 A: as close to 3:15 as possible; B sub 3:20; C: sub 3:24:36 (PB) 
    DD: 15348 wave2/7 A sub 4, B: sub 4-30 C: Finish

• Cooks - Don't flatter yourself... I stalk MANY people!!!imageimageimage

Well done for yesterday, but a YKW is still a way off for me... All in the interests of S & C you understand, and in no way due to copious amounts of alcohol!image

• Hi Freemers, sounds like Abo will be the place to be - who else is on the team sheet?

Oomps - Ah I see, I guess a scatter gun approach reaps greater dividends! image Ok - I admit, I do the same thing too....... Haha re the S&C - I'm sensing a new code for fueling ones tendencies image  Hope the S&C progressed well!

O4S - Hi there - hope you're doing well.  I might need some advice later this year/early next year.  I am planning on doing a 50 miler next May and who better to seek advice on all matters Ultra?!?!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Nice one cooks image   if only I could casually run a 3:19 off some pear-shaped training image 

2Old wrote (see)

Chick- I agree no way 5k pace unless it accidentally happens in a MP run.

Haile unlikely image  at least for me!!

• Hey Cooks - great report and wow, great time off the training. I have been struggling with various knee problems and haven't run a race since VLM 2012, so amazing you got around a marathon so soon after injury woes!

Weather is looking not too shabby for Sunday image

• Cooks - Nice half and an impressive marathon time off a not so great training campaign, I can relate to that.

Minni - 12 miles with a hangover, good training regime.image

6 miles for me this morning with middle 4 quick, avg pace 6:39 a bit slower than last week, excuse no 1 coming off nights and excuse no. 2 it was windy. Apologies to the Golf driver for making you foam at the mouth, I was only pointing out you should use your eyes and would it have slowed you up if you'd let me cross at the junction and does that really make me a f***ing t**t.

• Cooks - great Mara. And good to see you back.  I'm on the Abo team sheet!!

barry - know what you mean. Bloody drivers think they own the roads!! I run into the traffic on the lanes and so many times a car stops right in front of me leaving me nowhere to go!! Grr...

2old- glad you're taking the sensible route in the taper! 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Wow loads of activity, well done guys. Spoons, I suppose you saw Carter finally got there!

Hi Barry/AA,  On the drivers topic, I ran the Tay Ten yesterday which has about half a mile on the road with no pavement. In this part I nearly came off worse between two 4x4's who didn't want to give way for this inconvenience (me) running in their road! Blimey we are talking 2 secs here for someone to give way!

On the Tay Ten, It was a pretty flat course. Nice along the river Tay most of the way. There were two points which slowed me down. 1. was 5th and 6th mile, when we were running on track and it was pretty muddy. 2. was mile 9 and 10 when coming back there was a pretty strong side wind.

Splits: 6:27,6:41,6:39,6:42,6:58,7:06,6:44,6:46,6:56,0:37?

Official Time: 1:08:39

Felt a bit tired from the week sessions, I think I went a bit too hard in the week schedules. Ran the 10 and then planned to run a few after, ditched this in the end and just went back to the sports centre where my daughter was at a gymnastics competition. Just rested today and then back to the hill reps tomorrow.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Nice run there Minni & with a hangover

Well done Cooks, I'm at Abingdon too but cheering on Barry & the others as I haven't ran a marathon yet. I suppose I could get the drinks in while I'm waiting. image

Congratulations Nell

Re car drivers - I ran briefly on the road one evening towards the traffic & a car slowed down with the driver giving me abuse for running on the road. Not content with that he decided to drive alongside me to carry on swearing at me!

Rest day today & borrowed Barry's copy of RW - no point in having two delivered to the house, so sat & read that at lunchtime.

Run planned for tomorrow lunchtime as I am still following the HM training plan with 3 weeks to go till the next one.

• Great result off that training Cooks!  Hope your knee/PT has survived the 26 miles.  I'm sure Windermere will be loads of fun!

Chick that's a sensible plan, nothing you do now will have any real impact on two weeks time.  Look after the back!  And mile reps are horrible anyway image

Looks like a good final week Freemers.

Run on Saturday Minni! Have you ever done that before? I do want to try that out some time... you know there's stacks of parkrun all around London that you could go and jog around image  I'd ditch the HMP reps though....

Hope the tempo (with the drop down group) was fun tonight O4S.

Nothing like a bit of run rage Barry! I'd love to hit 6:39 for 4M in a tempo run.  I did it once but it was on the treadmill. 

Great result at the 10M race Nell. Shame about the drivers, brainless morons. 

That next HM has come round fast Pink! 

5.55M easy this morning.  I didn't see the memo that 12M is the new 5M image 

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi PL, Yes unfortunately the road was probably empty, Hope you blew him a kiss!

Just in case I confuse everyone, I missed out a mile ;0)

Splits: 6:27,6:41,6:39,6:42,6:58,7:06,6:44,6:46,6:56, 6:56,0:37?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Carrot: didn't actually drop down a group image so ended up running rather faster than planned. 

Sneezing like crazy over the last few days but think it must be pollution / pollen or BA that is affecting me since I have no other symptoms.

Take care everyone!

• Hi AA - hope you're well, great news re Abo will be good to see a familar face!  It does sound like it will be a good turn out! 

Kiwi - I did see that you've been on the treatment table, hope bearing up.  What's the latest by the way? Think you were easing back in?

Minni - echo Carrot, I ran Brighton parkrun on Saturday, bimbled round in 26 mins with a former work colleague.  Really enjoyed it and think helped me loosen up a bit......

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I always have a short run on the Saturday.  Only 20-30 mins and because its central London its start stop anyway.  Seeing them setting the course help psych me up!

Carrot - I'd looked at parkruns but there's non in any of the central parks - which I thought was odd.  I'm not going to faff around with tubes etc.

Sports massage today.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Wow, great 10 miler, Nell image

O4S: could be the Saharan dust. We've had tons of the stuff which now sits on all windows and the garden furniture turning everything a becoming shade of red image. Asthma is killing me these days image

BarryB: speedy as ever. Rubbish drivers image. I'm so lucky because there's a wide pavement where I run. Or I can run offroad down by the river but there's often lots of debris about when the tide was high. Makes a nice obstacle courseimage

Trendy 5 for me today. Plan said 8 with strides but CNBA.  

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

It's tapir time, guys

/members/images/411726/Gallery/Tapir.png

• Sports massage done!! 

Chick - nice tapir!!

• Nell - Well done on the pacy 10 mile race. 

Chick -  That is one crazy tapir.image  Hope all the VLMers are chilling and getting ready for the big event sunday.  I know last year was very well supported due to Boston and the decent weather but I reckon this year, rightly or wrongly due to Mo, it will be even better.

Carrot -  I used to be same as you not running the day before a mara until Barcelona when we did the breakfast run and I really enjoyed the gentle run out.

Second swimming lesson this morning, was n't really looking forward to it, but it went well and have been given more "homework" to do before the next one.

• Expo on thursday I think. Will look for the message wall image

Will try proper carb loading this year. Am planning Saturday's munch fest already!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    You might be the first one this year Ant - so leave us a nice message image
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Or I might beat Ant to it image  Or KFC might beat us both.

Bad news here -  back, hip and glutes were unhappy last night and today had to bail out and head for home, only managed 2.5 miles. Not sure what to do as I don't fancy 4 hours in that sort of pain image  Will see what the Osteopath says tomorrow but might be a DNS rather than a DNF.  However I will still be at the green start as I can't let BA know I'm not doing it or he might duck out as well image