Brighton Marathon 2014

Comments

• KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

Well done all! What an amazing race with brilliant support. How lucky were we with the weather! Here is my race report image

Weather forecast at 10:30pm was rain, rain and more rain. Weather forecast at 6am was no rain! Result image

i had vip tent access as I have an American Express card. This was great as I had access to toilets with shorter queues and did not have to queue for the baggage lorries. Best of all, I passed the gorgeous Paula Radcliffe in the tent, she started the race.

My race plan was to chase the 4hr pacer. This didn't work as I couldn't find him image So off i set following my watch. The first mile was 40 seconds too slow due to congestion. Over the next few miles I inadvertently caught up and bought myself a buffer. One thing I did different here to every other run was to only look at hr when going up hill. I would slow down so as to keep my hr from spiking and then would make up the time on the downhill. The rest of the time I watched the race time on my watch.

I felt pretty good. Again, differently to London I did not take fluids at every stop. In fact I took hardly any and simply drank to thirst. I plodded on.

at mile 20 I caught up with the 4 hr pacer. He said he was ahead of schedule and I was 2 min ahead of him so I thought I was safe to follow him. A few mins later I noticed that he was running at only 9:30 so i scooted off. I don't think he ever passed me so I can't see how he ran 4 hours given my time. Maybe I missed him.

From mile 22 I was in lala land image The crowd kept me going but I slowed down. I never walked throughout the marathon which I am very pleased about. I finished in 4:00:45, over 5 min faster than London. Not bad considering I'm 1.5stones heavier than London and my training has been sporadic.

key leanings for me were

- drink to thirst

- don't follow pacers, run your own race

- Imodium works image

- look at pace on watch as looking at heart rate makes me obsess about how tired I am. My average hr was 167 and this would have freaked me out had I known

• Kathy HKathy H ✭✭✭

Congratulations to all those who ran Brighton today. I remember last year, and how wonderful it was. Looking forward to running my marathon next month.

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Khanivore...  well done on the pb.  Before accepting "drink to thirst" as a key learning point..  I recommend you analyse whether slight dehydration contributed to your visit to lala land from mile 22 !

Serious point.There is a very credible school of thought that time spent taking on water is more than repaid by sustaining performance late on. Water is a key component of cell energy manufacture.

Was a beautiful day for a run wasn't it.  And the crowds were truly inspirational.  I can't believe how much stamina THEY had!

• Well done everyone. Great day and the crowd and weather didn't let us down. Thanks to all the volunteers and staff etc. the organisation this year was even better than last and the crossing points plus new bridge made life a lot easier. As for my race. Not the fastest I've ran brighton but 4 minutes better than last year. Quite pleased. Never hit the wall but my legs tightened up at 20 miles and I had to slow slightly to avoid cramp. This was gonna be my last but I booked again at the expo. I couldn't miss this race!
  • Good running everyone. Wasn't the weather perfect - easily the best running conditions of the 4x I've run Brighton. 

I got my A target and a shiny new PB by over 5 minutes in 03:43:24 so chuffed with that as my training was somewhat unconventional this year with a 155 mile multi-day ultra just 6 weeks before!

Will I be back next year? I signed up at the Expo but Sunday really reinforced to me that I'm not a fan of road races....give me a 100 runners and a lowkey trail marathon/ultra any day of the week. Saying that though I'm sure I'll be back as it would be nice to go sub 03:40....and then I may hang up my road racing shoes!

• A brilliant day,left my headphones off this year normally have one in one ear, but went naked and boy it was fab...the crowds called my name all the way round like poohbear said I acknowledged everyone with a wave and a smile,I even saw the photographers so I'm hoping for a decent pic of me looking happy and not knackered and got a shiny pb to boot knocked over 10 mins off previous brighton time was 4:13:34 compared to 4:23:55 two years ago 

I will do it again brighton that is but for now I have a shiny new grandchild in September so no long distance training for me this winter 

Tillstar I hope I smiled and waved when you called my name too 

Well done everyone a great day 

Brighton you are amazing!!!!

London next Sunday 

• Super MooSuper Moo ✭✭✭

First ever Marathon for me and hit my sub 4 hours target time at 3h57m10, so well chuffed.

Was a bit worried after the first km as I was already a minute behind schedule due to everyone grinding to a stop at the foot of the hill round Preston Park to funnel between the cars.  Funnily enough we saw 7 tow trucks start to lift the cars earlier but they put them back :-/

• Great experience. Weather was ideal and the crowds were fantastic. So glad I had my name on my shirt! Pleased to have got my target...finished in 3 hours 52. I'd recommend Brighton to anyone!
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭

I did not expect the level of support! I did London as my first marathon last year and had my name called out around the course. I genuinely did not think this would happen in Brighton, but it did. The crowd helped me so much. Wonderful experience. 

p.s. I don't like that stupid power station image 

• Well done everyone! Amazing feeling finishing my first ever marathon! Had a complete nightmare at mile 14 after managing to pull my IT band which made it almost impossible to run so a slow one at official time of 6.26 but cutting out the stops and stupid 15 min queues for the loos managed to run in 5.43. Felt so good on the day definitely could have beat 5 hours if I hadn't have got injured.. Till next year image
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Nose Nowt wrote (see)

Khanivore...  well done on the pb.  Before accepting "drink to thirst" as a key learning point..  I recommend you analyse whether slight dehydration contributed to your visit to lala land from mile 22 !

Serious point.There is a very credible school of thought that time spent taking on water is more than repaid by sustaining performance late on. Water is a key component of cell energy manufacture.

I was never concerned about the time taken to drink. It was more about the feeling of running with too much fluid inside of me. There is a school of thought that says drinking to thirst is the way to go. This report makes for interesting reading: 

http://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/322697

With all of that said, I probably did drink too little. I was very thirsty at the end of the run and continue to be thirsty the day after.

• Sarah 99Sarah 99 ✭✭✭

How do I enter for next year, cannot see anywhere on the website that says apply!

Thanks,

• Did anyone else here start at the "elite" start? I only appear to have a gun time, and no chip time. I also don't appear to have any split times (I only have average pace info for each split from 10k onwards - nothing at all for 5k). Only a very minor point, as I absolutely LOVED everything about yesterday, and I'm still on a high today! I just really would like chip times and a chip position.

• Was you an elite starter Steve? there seems to be weird discrepancy in the results between gun times and chip times.  

• Yes I was at the elite start, and although my garmin time and my gun time are only about 15 seconds apart, I'd really like to know where I placed. Looking at the gun and chip time results, it would seem that none of the elite starters (I think about 150/200 of us) have a chip time.

• Sarah 99 - Applications for 2015 open online tomorrow.

From Brighton Marathon facebook page today:

REGISTRATION FOR THE 2015 Brighton Marathon OPENS ONLINE TOMORROW AT MIDDAY!!

www.brightonmarathon.co.uk

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Well done Brighton for once again putting on a great event. That was my second Brighton in a row and I will be back next year again. The weather, support and organisation was superb. 

I had a great run, managed a PB in 3:36 so very happy, and even managed a negative split!

• Hi everyone. Agree with everything everyone has already said. A well organised event with amazing support. Does this year's event have a page on here to leave reviews and a rating? I can only see last year's event.

• Steve. What do you need to do/have to get an elite number? Is it possible they forgot to put down a mat to read the chips at the elite start? That would account for no first 5k splits and no overall chip time.

• I would say that no mat at the start of the elite would be done on purpose because for the real race its all on gun times and not on chip time.its first past the post........

so no one can argue that they won as they had a faster chip time.........

• Philomena - I imagine that's what happened. Or the start mat didnt register. It's only because I love analysing my data from races that I really want my chip position etc. The start I was on you had to prove you had either a sub 3.15 marathon and/or sub 1.30 half. 

• one small thing i did notice on the way around several chips that appeared to have fallen of the back of the numbers

• Ah-ha! Good spot Toby3, thanks for that - just checked my split times, and found they stopped after 25k - unbelievably I didn't think to check the back of my number until now, and guess what - no chip!

Not that bothered really as I had my watch going from the time I crossed the line so I know my time, and I roughly know the time by their clock - they should be about the same but I stopped my watch for a couple of loo breaks! (Bit of cheating I know, but I always think that technically I wasn't running at that point! image)

• Well done everyone that finished yesterday!! I had a great race with a new PB 4:09, beating my last marathon by 35 mins, so yes i am very pleased with my efforts!! Had to walk a little bit at 20 and 24, but all in a good run for me!

The atmosphere on the course was great with the crowd cheering you all the way!! The only thing that let the race down a little for me was the water they was giving out. The amount of people that i see choking on it or they would just explode in your hands. But apart from that a great and well run race!!

PS - thanks to tall the Pirates that I see on the course that gave me a cheer!!

• My first (and most likely my last) ever marathon, and despite the pain (feet, toes and knee are shot) I actually enjoyed it. Despite the length of time I took it actually didn't feel long (if you get my drift !), probably due to the great crowd support which was very welcome for the slower ones of us competing. I started out with my headphones off, so I could feel the atmosphere and never put them on throughout the whole race ! One to remember for me, but I think I will now concentrate on getting some better times at the shorter differences. We ll done to everyone who took part

• now we just need someone to start next year thread image

• You might as well start it Alan. You've posted more on here over the last two year than anyone

• Come on toby3 it has to be you