Ironman UK 2014

Comments

• let me know when you can make it mark and we'll take you round!!!

hunters hill is now the toughest i think....you'll have to do at at about 90 miles and you'll be fecked!!!

its an amazing route now in my opinion....its lovely round there!!!

• Did it fairly steadily with club mates yesterday, 3:15 with only the climbs getting some serious effort. Did on tt bike to see if right (large lad at 16st plus) and think it is just worth it over the road bike. Hunters stings, sheephouse is ok, very technical course lots of speed scrubbing corners but great scenery. 

• Sounds good Andy, I'll take u up on that image

What time are you targeting on the day Gaz?
  • Hi All...

New to here and IMUK this year...what's the top tips on nutrition for IMUK....i currently weight 86kgs....will drop another couple so 83/84kgs for the event...any secrets or all science?.....

Grateful for any advice....cheers

• Hello all

I just swapped my UK 70.3 place for IM UK (can't manage 70.3 anymore due to house move).  Is the bike course really that tough?  I am trying to get an idea of what it might be like when compared with Austria which I did in 2013.  It was 1,600m climbing and UK has 1,250m.  I get the impression from folks on here that UK is pretty hard.  Has anyone done both and can offer a comparison?  I guess I'll be targetting hills in my training in any event...

Good luck to all with your training over the next few months.

• Rob I think I read recently that a guide for nutrition is to have a gram of carbs per hour for every kg of body weight. So for you it would be 86g of carbs per hour.

I'm sure that's just a guide so the best advice would be practice in training and see what works for you.

I'm gonna try and head over to Bolton this Saturday to ride some of the course. Does anybody fancy joining me? I could do with a guide Andy if you are free!

I'm easy on how far or fast we go, I'm not a great cyclist so it can be a nice easy pace. I thought maybe park at the swim venue then cycle up and do one lap and then back to the car. I guess that would be about 80 miles but I don't mind making it a bit less if that sounds like too much.

Double T- I did Austria in 2012 so I might be able to compare the two after this weekend.
  • mark1981 thanks...I would be up for a ride the week after...doing VLM this weekend so in London, if you fancy some of the course early morning on the 20th, or anyone on here let me know, could meet at Pennington flash or wherever suits...cheers

• Rob I live in Middlesbrough so I'm limited when I can over to Bolton really.

My in laws live in Liverpool so I thought I'd pop over to Bolton while we are there this week.

I'll be trying to cycle the course a few times before July so I'll give u a shout next time I'm in the NW. Good luck at London!
  • Just noticed that there's still places available for this?

Tempting.

• Pudge wrote (see)

Just noticed that there's still places available for this?

Tempting.

Back away from the keyboard now !!!

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

Tempting.

Thanks Dave - I do need a voice of reason!

• Pudge wrote (see)
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

Tempting.

Thanks Dave - I do need a voice of reason!

Well if you are taking me as a voice of reason......

DO IT DO IT DO IT

• Dave - it's the week before Outlaw, and I'm only doing the bike leg, but I'm wondering how recovered I would be.

I had this debate with myself when entries first opened, and dithered about before coming to the conclusion that it wasn't a good idea.  It then sold out and so wasn't an option anymore.

However, now these new spaces have become available....

And it's right on my doorstep....

But you were right first time, I should step away from the keyboard.image

• Pudge wrote (see)

Tempting.

DO IT      DO IT       DO IT

• Red Stripe wrote (see)

Bike: http://connect.garmin.com/course/5969590 Run:http://connect.garmin.com/course/5971626

Garmin routes as I was struggling to convert.

Thanks for the Garmin course, i have loaded it onto my 910.

One question....the nearest part of the loop is Hunters hill for me (11 miles) so if I cycle to hunters hill and start the course on my 910, will it recognise where I am and help me follow the route? or will it try to take me to Pennington Flash to start the course?

Thanks......

• I 'think' it should just pick up where you are on the course, but if you're starting the course two thirds if the way round then it'll only be good for the last third of the course, although when you reach the end if the route you could just set it going again.

As an alternative, I have a GPX file which starts about a mile or so after Hunters Hill and will take you round the full 50 mile loop.

Let me know if you want it and I'll send it over.
  • Pudge

See how you feel 1 week after Lanza, if you feel great and there are still entries then why not, I must confess to having thought about it

• Boing.....did one loop today......

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/492644072

slow going in the misty rain for the first couple of hours...need more time on this as ~I was knacked with still 40 miles to go on the day,,,,oh and a swim and run

• Just seen the event schedule and it doesn't state that bikes/bags can be picked up on the Monday from the Reebok Stadium - you could do this last year.

I don't fancy going back there late at night to get my stuff - anybody know whether it's possible to get your stuff on the Monday?

• sumosue,

yes you should be able to pick up your bike and bags on the monday morning as i did last year..

after riden last years bike course and the new one i reckon its around 10-15minute quicker ...

• A bit of a longshot but I'm looking to ride a lap of the course tomorrow afternoon if anybody fancies it?

I'm at work in Manchester in the morning so I should be at the Reebok stadium for about one. I don't really know where I'm going so it'll be a nice easy pace just to have a look.

Cheers

Mark
  • hi mark, sorry mate i've missed some of these posts, i only came back into the country last night...hope the ride went ok.

for those asking about nutrition i once got some great advice from the guys at torq energy thats great for first timers.

you are right...one g of carbs per hour....but the body can only manage about 60-70 efficiently...so about 2 gels per hour....however...the best trick i learned from the guys at torq is think of keeping the tank full...and topping it up regularly...not letting it run out...and needing it once you've bonked.

what i do is put all my gels into a bottle....topped up with a bit of water....and take a gob full every 15 minutes...the equates to about 2 gels an hour...and keeps the tank topped up.

really worked for me and this trick alone got me through IM after my first attempt failed.

• Crooky-BWFC wrote (see)
    Pudge wrote (see)

Tempting.

DO IT      DO IT       DO IT

As of yesterday, I'm in!

Looking forward to it. image

• Nice one Pudge - see you there.

If you're local, there's some good swim training at Pennington Flash.

• Thanks Sue.  I am only a few miles from Pennington Flash as it happens.  I went to the first OW swim session there back at the start of May.  Swallowed lots of brown water, saw an eel, and trod on a pebble - it was a good day!

I intend to do a couple of the Saturday morning sessions at Pennington, just to get used to the course/sighting etc, but I'll mostly be going to the Team True Spirit sessions at Eccleston Delph - the water is nice and transparent there!

• Sounds like the swim I had last night and there was only around 50/60 of us - can't wait for when it's 2000 of us. 

• That would make an interesting Discussion of the Week... What does Bevan think? image

• I went to the flash last Saturday Pudge! Not many people there! I'm going most Saturday from now on (apart from this sat doing Coniston Olympic) you should come to the 3 sisters on a Wednesday night, it a good coached session! they get about 140 people each week.

http://www.theendurancecoach.com/open-water-swimming/111-wednesday-open-water-swimming.html