RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks carrot,Chick,Barry. I must admit I didn't feel I did great after the run on Sunday. But when looking at the times I can see where/how I slowed down, I think more terrain/conditions than me. So I am taking a positive out of it now. I did have a HM planned at St.Andrews this weekend, but I think I am going to ditch that in favour of a Long run. I feel I that will be more beneficial to me.

I hope everyone's tapering is going well...

Hi Minni, How are you feeling now?

6 miles of hill reps completed this morning, nice bright sunny morning which was nice. I live on the top of a hill so fortunately (or unfortunately) that means you get the workout all the way back home image

• Lol, O4S, i hope the osteopath can sort you out.

Just saw Mo on the news, was reading his training schedule in Runner's world, wowzer!!

Great tapir Chick.

Dusted off p+d today, 18 week training for Abo willl start mid June. Cooks knee seems ok with 3 runs a week, so taking it from there image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- what an ugly tapir...just like my taper

Nell-great 10miler. Fast pace which added to some solid mileage will produce a tasty marathon time ....and hills too. Good going 

O4S- is the sneeze taper allergy ? Hope the hip is just a blip .

Ant like the way you have moved from ticking off miles to ticking off meals...sorryimage

Barry- you are so fast without the proverbial marathon albatross weighing you down ...I get the feeling your swimming is starting to click too

AA- I'm trying to be sensible

Cooks- to get rid of AT firstly I tried various Physios- failed. Then saw consultant who suggested more Physio- failed. He organised for me to have dry kneeling of both tendons to cause fresh bleeding to get rid of the scar tissue causing the trouble. This was followed by Physio and total rest for 6 weeks in all- the knees were done separately. Then more Physio and swimming and spinning on easy gears. i noticed the pain was reducing and so introduced short easy runs which led me to doing tris. Squatting helped. Gradually the daily first thing in the morning tearing of the scar tissue diminished and I was back up and running. It took about 9 months from the needling to being about 90% recovered which is ok because that's my normal state 

pink- so how much of a start is Barry giving you at the HM?

4 easy miles in Spain yesterday. Cut short as I was chased by a very angry dog. Back home today and have done 10k with 7k at MP .7.29mm av. Including warm up and cool down. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

We Boston racers can't fail when we get emails from the organisers offering these-

• Creating Strategies for Emotional Readiness
    • Finding Inner Strength and Happiness
    • Maximizing Your Focus
    • Addressing Any Worries or Fears
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

((((((((((O4SO))))))))))   I have to say that I think a DNS would be better than a DNF under the circumstances.  I may well be a DNF if my hip doesn't play ball but its certainly good enough to start at the moment.   In other news Pam has a fractured fibula.  She was diagnosed with a stress fracture a few weeks ago but a second set of X-rays have shown the fracture.  She's had 6 weeks out but looks like there's a good few weeks to go yet.

2old - Lovin those good ol American feel good messages!

Remind me again your plans for Edinburgh 2Old. Miss 2Old doing marathon and you doing the half? I'm planning to be there for the duration - but definitely NOT running!

Ant - don't write the message too high - I could hardly reach last year!!

Nell - Yes feeling much better.  Its amazing what being on holiday does for you!  I slept for 10 hours last night!

Short run this morning and a deeeeeeeeep massage this afternoon.  Toe has a huge dressing on it.  Waxing tomorrow, hair Thursday then off to London Friday.

Who is going to be in Candos on Sunday afternoon?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- looks like Miss2O has been diverted from her training so it's probably not going to happen and we aren't likely to get there. Thinking of some local races that day Instead .Disappointed to miss the opportunity. Does the waxing reduce friction like for the cyclists and make you go faster.? One day I will share a pint or two at Chandos. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Minni: I'll try to get there before Ant - if I write it even the seven dwarfs should be able to reach itimage  give my best wishes to Pam!

Massage done for me too. Will report back from the bone cruncher tomorrow.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA /O4S/Minni- tempted to have a massage myself next week. 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Minni - I'll be in Chandos. Will most likely do the Red Lion first to catch up with Cheerful Dave and feel intimidated by all the sub 3 speedsters, and then come after that.

My right knee is aching. Not sure why, hopefully won't be a problem but will be running in a short while so will see.

Loving the tapir chick image

O4S - hope the osteopath can do some magic.

I had my marathon haircut over 2 weeks ago. I'm wondering now whether I may have peaked too soon!
  • PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

That's one crazy Tapir Chick

Freemers take care of the knee

2old the bet is for me to finish in under 2 mark image

VLM getting nearer for you guys - it has come round quick. Getting excited for you all

Lunchtime run for me yesterday which was quite blustery. Off to try a new running group this evening.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

First official met office forecast out for Sunday. Max 14, feeling like 12, less than 5% chance of rain, NW wind image

Probably won't get to Chandos, Macmillan reception and then popping in to the Coal Hole on the Strand to see the running club gang - plus by the time I finish you will probably all have gone home image

My marathon haircut is two weeks after the race..............

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    No problem with the knee running - phew! 5 miles with 2 @ MP. Just one more to go.
  • Yay, Freemers glad the knee is ok.

Minni - good you are ok to start, fingers crossed that your hip plays ball on Sunday!

O4S realised my lol yesterday came out wrong, it was at you not telling B.A if you weren't going to run - I hope all goes well with the Osteopath and you do run Sunday!

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Kiwi:  I knew exactly what you meant image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Glad you are alright, Freemers. Bet it was just taper nerves.

Those haircut messages make me laughimage

2old: Did you sign up to the Boston webinar then? You have to hand it to the Americans though - they are brilliant at this sort of thing.

Minni: glad you feel better. Fingers crossed the hip holds up. I'm having similar fears about my back image   I really don't want Boston to be a DNF!!

O4S: hope you are ok to run but if in doubt a DNS is better than a DNF.

Mega windy here today. Did 8 with strides and accidentally ran MP for 3 miles on the return. Blame the tailwind. MP came out as 7:29 too, 2old  image

• Afternoon All,

Chick - Is that the little known Magic Mushroom eating sub-species of Tapir?

(((O4S))) - Hope everything sorts itself out for Sunday otherwise if you don't run BA will expect pampering and sympathy afterwards... On second thoughts, cancel previous statement, as i forgot who i was talking to!image 

2Old - You've gotta love an American mantra!

What was the "dry kneeling" thing that you did to reduce scar tissue? I think that the swollen lump above my knee may be scar tissue. Have an appointment with my surgeon next week to see what can be done about it as it's now nearly 4 months since the op, which is ridiculous.image

Looking forward to tracking everyone, but also depressed and envious in equal measure... There's no other race like London!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    O4S / Ant - what time are you aiming to be at the expo tomorrow? I now think I'll sneak out at lunchtime tomorrow and go over then, as I really don't want to leave it till Saturday. Probably be there around 12.30 or 1pm I would think. Might see you there if you are doing similar?
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Minni, Glad to hear you are feeling better ;0)

Hi 2old, I bet that was a quick finish to the 4 miler then!

Hi Chick, I hope the back feels better soon...

It seems quite surreal hearing everyone talking tapers and last runs and I have still got 6 weeks plus left to get to grips with things.... 7 miles @7:45mm this morning and the wind was out to play again ;0(

• Hello! 

Just popping by to wish you all the absolute best for this weekend! have an absolutely storming run! 

Don't be shit image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp-I prefer your more direct motivational styleimage than the US huggy feely stuff. You may be right about the lump-Im of the view that at a certain point active recovery is needed -thats not the active demolition that you might have once thought aboutimage  and its dry Kneedling sorry. This gives a flavour of what the treatment is all about-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17387140 (Mine didnt involve the blood injection)

Nell- the dog brought the run to an early end as my heart rate rocketed and I had to stop after getting away to recover and didnt feel right after that. Its tough doing the hardest part of a marathon schedule when others have finished theirs and are getting taper madness

Chick-no I didnt bother with the webinar-this thread motivates me , gives me focus,  inner peace and makes me happyimage Good MP run there .Chick your back will be fine . There is a suggestion our weather in Boston may involve some wind and rain so you'll be ok.

Free-good to see the knee is no longer an issue

MrZ-hello stranger

As everyone is having haircuts Im thinking of growing a beard which reminds me that there are a lot more beards about these days and the Liverpool HM seemed to have a large number of Forrest Gump(when running across the US) look alikes

Whats today's forecast for Sunday?

8 miles tonight-is that a MLR in a taper-it wont be MP Chickimage

• 2old - nice MP miles, you looking at 7:10's for MP? I've given Pink 30 mins, I'll hopefully be around 1:30(Stratford is a bit lumpy) so will be incentive to get close to 2 hours.

O4S - Hopefully you can get to the start line but don't risk it.

Freemers - Good news.

Chick - Nice MP, you'll have the downhill's at Boston to help the pace.image

oompa - I'm with you, I will be glued to TV/laptop on Sunday but wish I was there racing.

Nell - Your time will come, the last few weeks of training normally fly by.

1 hour out on the bike this morning, getting better on the hills not dropping down the gears so much.

• freemers - good news on the knee!

((o4s)) hope osteo has worked wonders for you. 

2old - loving the 8 mile mlr! 

mr z - well done for Manchester!

barry - sign up for a tri!! Go on go on!!

chick - look after you back. 

Minni - how's the niggles?

im finished now. and I'm off next week. Whoop whoop!! My body is so tired from massaging. I've seen so many runners over the last 2 weeks I'm all marathon talked out!! 

Freemers/ant/o4s - I'm due to go tomorrow too. Travelling up with a friend. Should arrive @11-11:30ish. Only popping in for @45 mins. Don't wanna hang around. call or text me when you're there and hopefully I can see you. 

last 4 miler done today. My stitch pain is still there. Don't think I will run on Saturday. I'm waiting for the taper to work it's magic. I'm exhausted!!

• Hi everyone,

Just popping in to say best of luck to everyone on Sunday. Still not sure of my plans but hopefully will be down there cheering you on and if I am will try to make it to Chandos afterwards for a celebratory drink.

Well done last weekend to Cooks, Mr Z and Spoons, with a great PB!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-that was the plan-7.10ish but I'm not convinced I've quite got the pace after my AT absence. These recent runs suggest nearer 7.15-7.20. We shall see . Didn't you run a sub 1.30HM on your own about six weeks before your marathon? I'd be tempted to go for 1.28 and if you feel ok after 9 miles push even harder. If I can do 86 you must be able to with your speed and endurance. Have you hot a TRI pencilled in this year?

AA-time to rest now. Problem is doing all sorts of other activties because of the nervous energy. All those massages must have taken it out of you too. My MLR turned into another MP run 

oops 8 miles at 7.17 mm av pace. Very windy ....can't remember when it hasn't been. Suprisingly warm too. 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Spoons - great to hear from you - excellent PBs for you and GF.  Also well done on changing those hard to break habits.  If you hate marathons, the last 4 hours of that IM are going to be lovely!

Likewise Cooks - look forward to see what you do in abo!  

And Zuvai - good to see you pop in - nice marathon at the weekend from you too!

Chick, that looks like a prehensile nose on that tapir... (reminder everyone - DO NOT google the words tapir and prehensile...)

O4S - hope its good news fro the osteo

Marathons make me bawl my eyes out.  Watched the 6h finishers shuffling through the last mile of Brighton on Sunday and every face I saw, in their own world of pain, just got me going a little more.  Must be cos I was thinking "holy crap, thats how much pain i'll be in this time next week..."

I'm heading to the expo during the day on Friday.  All the VLM event overlay is starting to go out on the streets - very exciting!

I will be in the Chandos afterwards, hopefully I'll last more than a half shandy before having to leave and vom this time...

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Osteopath reports that I will doubtless live, but that it will hurt - however doesn't think it is increasing the damage that 40 years of running has already inflicted image. In fact my back wasn't as tight as sometimes but hips and adductors felt like concrete. I suppose it is just down to me now and I think I'll decide on the day.  If it does hurt badly on the way round Plan B is to walk the rest of the way, high 5 the kids and chat to the Macmillan supporters - I still won't be anywhere near last and I don't feel I have anything to prove. In many ways I would prefer to do a 5 hour walk round enjoying the day than push myself, hurt a lot and do 4.10 (or slower) again.

Lots to consider, but not to be mentioned at home..............

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- glad you have a positive view for Sunday. Let's face it being part of the Mo show will be pretty special I itself. My lips are sealed image

KFC- looks like  you and O4Swill be using experience and mental toughness a fare bit on Sunday ...pretty normal ,even if very painful days out ,for both of you. 

Must remember to defer 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh hell, the prehensile tapir, how could I forgetimage
  • Weather looks good for marathon running on Sunday image

O4S sounds like you've got a plan for all eventualities.  Like you say - you have nothing to prove and there is still a good day out to be had. 

Good news on the knee Freemers. 

You'd better stick to that promise of not running Edinburgh Minni!

Hope you enjoyed the new running group Pink?

Good running Chick, take care of that back! The hard work is done now.

Oompa I'm a little envious too.... but I've never spectated at London so that should be fun.  There's always another year image

Well done on your marathon at the weekend Mr Z!

Yes Barry all this bike and swim training, get signed up for a triathlon! You never know, you might enjoy it.

Sounds like you need a few days off AA.  It probably gets a bit tedious talking about marathons all the time image  Get refreshed over the next few days, all ready for that selfie with Mo on Sunday.

2old - get deferring! It only takes 20 seconds, enter your surname, race number and DOB, click OK and that's it.  Considering how much of a chew on it is entering, it's a little bit too easy.

Business as usual for me, none of this taper madness! 
    Track Tuesday was 4 x 800m, 4 x 400m, 4 x 200m.  I probably enjoyed the 200s the most!  
    We're in London Friday - Monday.  It's highly likely that we'll be some of those irritating people drinking fizzy wine on the train on the way down, as there's no marathon to be run so we can get sozzled at 10am image Looking forward to spectating.  I've never watched a marathon.  Will try to get to Chandos afterwards image

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Suddenly realised today is exactly one year since my last operation image. Haven't managed that long clear since the first op 10 years ago. Remembered that I ran last year with the stitches still in my hand image