RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carrot - you will love it.  Mr Minni has the spectating down to a fine art now since this will be his 8th year watching!!  He usually stands at 13-14 miles first then goes through an underpass to about 22 miles.  If we catch up beforehand he can explain.

I did 5 miles tonight with 3 @ sub 7.  Hip a bit achy but I did have a very intensive massage yesterday so now its rest, rest, rest till Sunday.  I feel I'm good enough to start but have my mind firmly made up that I will stop if I think I am going to do damage.  We'll see.

Expo for me on Friday PM.  Dinner on Friday night with Brol, which could be dangerous... Might put in a show on Saturday.  Who's meeting at Charing Cross on Sunday morning?  AA?

• O4S - good news on the lack of ops and osteo thumbs up. I'm sure you'll be running it whatever - you're 100 mile hardcore!

Minni - sounds reasonably positive. Watch out for that Bro tho!

Carrot - great fun watching London - I've been a few times. The embankment section is great fun as it is the final reckoning and it is surprising seeing casualties even in the fast runners. The lead pack go past soooo quickly as well.

Anyway have done my dress rehearsal of 7M with 2M MP - and it felt comfortable so I am ready to race. 3:19 / 7:35 pace is the A target. I have already signed up for Brighton next year! And that will be my sub 3:15 attempt assuming Sunday isn't a complete disaster. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot- I will press the deferral buttons .Fast session there

O4S- you are an inspiration...you keep me on track when I think about an easier hobby. After last years problems this year is a minor inconvenience 

Minni- you've got a good one there in Mr Minni.  Once upon a time you shouted at me for running that fast in a taper. Be confident please

Ant- glad that run reinforced your confidence. Dont  rule out 3.15 this time ...sorry to repeat myself

Chick - so that  you can get an idea how the Boston course may have affected my pace here are my splits from when I did it in 2009-the last split was 1.2m-

Splits-Boston2009  7.43 7.25 7.16 7.08 7.14 7.02 6.58 7.07 7.01 7.05 7.08 7.01 7.05 7.07 7.22 7.07 7.33 7.38 7.34 7.34 7.57 7.20 7.30 7.21 7.28 9.05

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Carrot - did you defer your place? Wasn't sure you needed to - don't champ qualifying times last 2 years like GFA? Or is it one year only?

2old - very impressive splits from Boston image

Expo later...hope to catch up with O4S. AA - may miss you if you're in and out but will text when I'm close so if you're still there we can say hi image
  • PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Oompa I've swapped my LR round to Sat so that I can be glued to the TV & laptop on Sunday. One of my friends from work is running her first VLM so intending to track her - if it doesn't crash.

AA/Carrot  there is a pool tri here in Sept which will be a good starting one for Barry - his swimming will be more than good enough by then. I may take part although it's the transitions that worries me. He should definitely bite the bullet & give it a go.

Carrot the running group was good & really pushed me. Have a great time in London image As Ant says Embankment is great. I was stood there last year & it has a brilliant atmosphere.

Went to the new running group last night and opted for the 5 mile run as I didn't know the route that well. It was a great run & I felt I really pushed myself which was what I need. Will be going back.

Hope all those attending the Expo today have a great time image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    D'oh....realised as I reached work that I've left my VLM registration form at home so can't pick up my number today. Back to plan A and expo Saturday!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Freemers - that's is like a pre marathon nightmare!

2old - it's not as bad as it sounds. 2 miles easy the 3 x 1m with 90s recovery. image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Free- I've had dreams like that- getting to the start and only having one shoe and having to go back to the hotel to get the other. Yours is real .

Good thing you didn't do this on Saturday

Minni- they were fast intervals by my reckoningimage
  • Freemers wrote (see)
    D'oh....realised as I reached work that I've left my VLM registration form at home so can't pick up my number today. Back to plan A and expo Saturday!

Go anyway with plenty of ID and you should be able to blag it.  Others have done it before. I would imagine that of 40k runners they must have several hundred turn up having lost the form.

Or can OH scan it and email it to you?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    CD - I don't want to take the risk and haven't really got the time for a wasted journey today. To be honest, it's not such a big deal doing it on Saturday, as my train stops at Stratford so can pick up the DLR from there. I reckon all in all it just adds an hour to the whole journey to your place, if I scoot round the expo in double quick time!

And you are really testing OH's technical skills there as I'm not sure he's worked out how to use the scanner... (you can tell him I said that as he knows full well he can't do it!)
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    old4speed wrote (see)

Suddenly realised today is exactly one year since my last operation image. Haven't managed that long clear since the first op 10 years ago. Remembered that I ran last year with the stitches still in my hand image

That's the best news of the day!! Hope it's buggered off for good  image

Shit, Freemers - that's really like the typical marathon nightmare image

Speedy stuff, carrot and Minni. Must be great to spectate in London and make the whole thing one big pardee getting pished on the train down image

Great splits, 2old. I've downloaded a Boston pace calculator and the fast and slow miles seem to tie in pretty well. Apart from those middle miles around 7mm image. The 7:57 split must have been Heartbreak image. My calculator allows me an 8mm there which I'm sure I'll need by then. The one thing I must remember is to keep it easy over the first two miles. I'm known to go off like a rocket, especially on a downhill start. I still hope it's crowded enough so that I simply can't go too fast. My plan is to do the first 2 miles around 7:45 ish.

• I'm glad I'm not the only one losing the plot! I had a horrible dream last night that one of my shoes completely fell apart as I was running, I had to stop to try to buy a new one but couldn't get hold of anyone to come and pay for it for me, and I was getting so frustrated watching the minutes tick by! Weird.

I'm pretty paranoid about forgetting something. We're heading straight to Gatwick on Monday morning without going home from London after the marathon, so I've got to make sure I've got everything for a beach holiday sorted as well as my marathon stuff. Paranoia is a pain
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- yes the slower splits correlate with the hills. I didn't realise my first mile was so slow and that will be the effect of the volume of runners. Need to factor that in too.I recall there being a steepish downhill section before the start of the run into the city and that hurt and it made the following final miles on the flat concrete highways pretty tough. Which calculator have you used it might be useful to give it a go too? 

Jack- make a list. I'm sure someone will post one .Tip- wear flight socks to minimise the swelling effects in the legs from flying .It seems I'm not the only one who has shoe dreams. 

free- don't blame you not wanting a wasted trip to the expo. 

Pink- sounds like a good club. It can only accelerate your progress. I'm looking forward to Sunday - 12/13 mile run,VLM, LiverpoolvManC. Perfect if the results go the right way. 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

2old: This one here.  I reckon the bit that comes after Heartbreak will be tough. A lot of energy is left on that hill and anything that comes after it will hurt.

• 2old -  1:26 in my dreams.  The 1:28 was way back on Jan 19 and a lot has/has not happened since so I think i'm around 1:30 ish form at best especially with it not being flat. Any MP miles planned for Sunday?

AA/2old - The plan was to sort my swimming out then treat myself to a better bike, then attempt a sprint tri in September, but until I can swim 16 lengths of decent front crawl(which seems a long way off) the race entry is on hold.

Good to see the madness is setting in, Jack start getting your stuff together now,good luck getting on/off the plane on Monday quads are normally mashed after a marathon and stairs are a nightmare.

10 easy miles for me this morning lovely conditions but I've  got a head cold so lots of snot rockets being fired.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- Heartbreak is ok as you expect it but it's the others that catch you out a bit .thanks for the link

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

That's why I like this link - it tells you how each mile works in terms of elevation gain or loss. The challenge will be to remember everything or create one hell of a wide pace band image

Snot rockets made me laugh, Barry image

• Expo done and message left under the 2nd N of London. In and out very quickly so didn't really see much else. 

My only concern for Sunday now is my darn toothache which returned with a vengeance this week. I really hope it does not disrupt matters. I went to the dentist last month and he put me on the list for the dental hospital because it isn't something he can deal with himself. My initial appointment is only on the 5 May though. Anyone else run marathons successfully with toothache?

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭
    Found AA at the expo (get her, 2 stripey numbers and 2 chips. Then, eventually, found TM message, inked it in to be more prominent and put what should be a self explanatory message. Was just leaving when solicitor rang to say completion on our house purchase is next Tuesday! image
  • Well done O4S my pen was not up to the job!
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Just got home and realised what was missing at the Expo - no London marathon music!  It always brings me out in goosebumps and this year I felt strangely unmovedimage  At least the goody bag wasn't full of bags of rice, in fact it wasn't actually full of anything............

Mad panic now to sort out everything for Tuesday image

• O4S - great to see you briefly. And oh wow - you have got a busy few days!!

freemers - you can get all psyched up on Saturday now. 

Ant - sorry I missed you. But have been by minutes!

chick/2old - i love the fact that New York and boston do race specific bands!

pink - glad you enjoyed the running club. 

I spent a fortune at the expo and I wasn't even there long. New earphones - I'm running with music on Sunday (don't shoot me!)  and I got some elastic stretchy waist band type bumbag type thing. My only real issue now is this pain in my stomach where I ha a stitch a while back. I feel it all tHe time. I'm hoping it's tapir madness! Gonna try a 2 miler tomorrow with my new gear and see if it works. ita gonna e embarrassing running London with such a low number in a shit time image

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Good luck to everyone on Sunday. Hopefully I will see some of you during the course of the race.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

All this expo stuff is exciting. Deferred my VLM place today ....a sad feeling but nothing like last year ..I would have been at the Green start 

AA- pretty special number worn by very few and well deserved so don't knock yourself down . Typical woman...any excuse to shop .Boston is going to be well OTT on the sentimental stuff...but rightly so 

O4S- I get all emotional when the BBC music comes on especially having run it . If you remember we completed our purchase in the week of VLM 2012 ..hope this doesn't put you off your stride ...doubt it will

Ant- nothing worse than tooth ache. still time to fix it 

10k steady tonight at 7.35 mm .It's getting warm out there .

• Minni - loving our banter with Stalker Nell on Twitter tonight!!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That bloody Nell never leaves us alone!!

Can't believe there was no VLM music at VLM expo!

Popped in to see a friend earlier and drank way too much wine.  Now sobering up to do the packing....

Ant - I've got every painkiller under the sun.  Meet be round the back of the bike sheds and I'll sell you some.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

AA and now Liz Yelling is trying to get in the gang!

• Surely one clear year deserves a little celebration O4S? That's great news, so pleased for you image

Signing up for your next marathon is classic taper madness Ant! You'll get that A target on Sunday image  Hope the toothache naffs off for the weekend...

Freemers I think it does last two year like GFA but I didn't want to give myself the option of still running it!  Watched a five minute sped-up video of the VLM course tonight and had a little 'why did I defer?!' moment so it's probably just as well I did. Just as well you forgot the registration form today and not Saturday!   

The new running group sounds good Pink.  I always work harder when I'm running with someone else, it really brings you on!

How is your back today Chick? Are you enjoying the taper? An easier first few miles is always a good plan in a marathon, I can imagine there'll be a good bit of crowding to help you stick to the pace.

Jack as long as you've got your running kit, race confirmation, passport and money anything else can be bought.  Nice taper dream image  Planes are always fun the day after a marathon.

AA it's not an expo if you don't buy a load of running kit.  No judging from me on the music - I plugged into mine at 30km in Barcelona.  Give over with the 'shit time'!  You ran your heart out at Reading to earn that place, be proud to be the first to represent Team Minni on the championship start.  Looking forward to hearing all about what it's like. 

Minni it's all good carb loading I'm sure.   

8M steady done tonight. Finsbury parkrun on Saturday, have any of you Londoners done that one?  Planning on a 8-10 miler around the capital on Sunday morning, Parsnip and I are going to attempt to run alongside the last few miles of the route at 7am-ish.  Not sure how dodgy a plan that is but there's always parks we can run round if we risk arrest.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Morning all ,only 2 days to go image  Or 10 for Chick DD and me image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Final run done - I kept thinking I was feeling a slight twinge in my knee, but could have been in my head! I got onto the foam roller when I got home and will do that a few more times before I leave tomorrow. Definitely going taper mad!

Now it's carbs for the rest of the day.