Sub 3h15

Comments

• Red Start

Poacher 32346. Hawaiian hula dancing girl - A: don't race, matches dry, 3.19 for Comrades B seeding & GFA; B - finish 50th mara/ultra in one piece; 

MartinH: 32377.  Purple vest, purple shorts, rest of me painted purple. A: sub 2.45, B: sub 2.49.44 (new PB), C: Renew GFA

Dodds 34357.  Purple and white Asthma UK vest with Dodds on the front.  A: 3.10, B: 3.15, C Sub 3:22 (PB)

PMJ 31428 Datchet Dashers vest, look a bit like the avatar on the left. A: anything that starts with 2:4x and that is the only real goal, have to go for it. Consolation prizes: beat 2:50:28 for a new PB, 2:51:51 (80% WAVA), renew GFA for a sub 3 at 50 as per another threadster did and got onto MT.

Blue Start

Abbers5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

CC2 151 (Champs start) Notts AC vest (White/Green/Gold), flappy style shorts, blue and pink (not by choice!) shoes. A: 2.59.59 B:2.59.59 C 2.59.59 Sh!t or bust.

Green Start 

Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.

3 miles today to test the toe, appears I have a toe back image.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Can it really be the first day of expo today?! Getting very close now. It's going to be quite a day.
    Abbers - know what you mean - in effect, this is my first too.
    Nice to see some old familiar faces on the thread - hi to Keir and Frazer.
    PMJ image
    11 miles with 2 x 3M today: 3M w/u 8:36, 7:40, 6:56. 3M tempo 6:28, 6:19, 6:11. 1M easy 8:37. 3M tempo 6:32, 6:23, 6:15. 1M w/d 8:26.

• Great to see Keir and Frazer back on here!

Good news on that toe, PMJ.

Red Start

Ant: 32952. White vest with "Ant" on it in orange, blue quite-flappy-style shorts, tennis-ball-green shoes. A: sub 3:05, B: sub 3:10, c: sub 3:15

MartinH: 32377.  Purple vest, purple shorts, rest of me painted purple. A: sub 2.45, B: sub 2.49.44 (new PB), C: Renew GFA

Dodds 34357.  Purple and white Asthma UK vest with Dodds on the front.  A: 3.10, B: 3.15, C Sub 3:22 (PB)

Blue Start

Abbers5289, black T-shirt with "Glyn" on the front, black shorts, blue shoes. A: 3:15 (dream target),  B: 3:20 (real target), C: finish (which would be a PB!)

CC2 151 (Champs start) Notts AC vest (White/Green/Gold), flappy style shorts, blue and pink (not by choice!) shoes. A: 2.59.59 B:2.59.59 C 2.59.59 Sh!t or bust.

Green Start 

Lorenzo: 29741, magenta and blue Dorking and Mole Valley AC vest. A: sub 3:07:30 B: sub 3:10 C sub 3:11:05 (PB)

Minni: 28513, white Alnwick Harriers vest with red, yellow and black stripes (bit like the German flag!), black shorts.  Hair in the usual running plaits.  A: 3:12 (not very likely now) B: sub 3:15:48 (for a PB) C: Sub 3:20.  Anything slower will mean all is not well with the hip and I will probably pull out at some point.

• Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the running is going well Fraser.

Sorry to disappoint but no wand, wings and tutu this year. I'm taking it a bit more serious this year so just the purple body paint. I am still a world record holder though.

4m with 2 at MP for me this morning. Rest tomorrow and the 15mins Saturday afternoon (5mins easy, 5mins MP, 5mins easy).
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Martin H wrote (see)
     I'm taking it a bit more serious this year so just the purple body paint.

image Lol!

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Woke up with streaming cold on Tues - good job not last week!  
    Great to see Frazer pop back in; Keir also
    TR - I def wouldn't run 26.2 in the small shoes . . .
    Pleased the test run was encouraging, Philip 

Rich
    asked where the obsession ends; maybe it won't - my avatar pic is 1991, this is Manchester 2014 - even arms in same position
    . .

/members/images/396841/Gallery/manc_mara_2014_-_finish.JPG

just a lot slower image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Keir & Frazer - good to see you popping in again. As others have said, stick around!

Rich - there are always new goals! Use the working away to recover properly, and then hit it hard when you get back. Thanks for the vote of confidence... see update below!

Martin - impressively speedy targets.

Dodds - 3 easy today, then rest tomorrow for travelling to London & Expo, 2 on Saturday.

Minni - glad you're going to make the start line and give it a crack. Sounds liek you have a sensible plan too, and are an experienced enough racer not to do somethng daft if it's not working out.

TR - Rich's advice seems sound; use the old shoes, as too many risks with the other options?

BotF - good call with hindsight!

CC2 - eggs, baskets, all in. Love it.

Poacher - good outfit choice! A suitable way to celebrate your 50th such event image

PMJ - excellent news on the toe.

Gul - that's another super session from you. All your PBs must be under serious threat of revision.

Birch - I hope I have a running career half as long and fulfilling as yours!

So, after 16 weeks of not so much as a solitary sneeze, I now have a runny nose and scratchy throat courtesy of the germ factories I share a house with. I'm hoping it doesn't come to anything significant and will have disappeared by Saturday as I will be pretty chuffing miffed if this curtails my debut mara plans. Advice on running with a cold, if it comes to that?

• Dodds - I did 4 miles on Tuesday w/ 2 @ MP, 3.5 yesterday w/ 3 a bit faster than MP (unintentionally - a good sign, that) and that may be it for me til Sunday. If I feel like it i might do 3-4 miles tomorrow morning, to calm the pre-travel nerves. Definitely nothing on Saturday.

Abbers - Take no notice of the impending cold - they thrive on attention. "Nothing to see here".

Birch - Nice pic, good end-of-race form.

Minni - ((()))

Speedy - What exactly do you mean by "flappy-style shorts"?

Off to the physio now for a leg-loosener (oo-er, missus).

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ant - as long as it's not a knee trembler!

• Abbers- What Ant says! just ignore it! take a few paracetamol and a honey and lemon drink and get an early night. I was in bed at 8:30 the night before my race with belly full of bagel and bananas! lol

Birch- 2:46! neat time! I am going to enjoy the rest of the races this year and have a trot round them. I think one good push a year is enough! Will focus on the 3:05 GFA next year.  Brighton , Manchester or London?? whats the quickest course??

Will be watching with glee on Sunday for all you guys! Although will be easier to notice Martin!

Good luck all!!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Gul- Nice tempo 

ANT- sounds like fun!

Abbers-its just a sniffle you will be fine.

PMJ-The first time I read that I thought it said you had a black toe now , glad its working again you only need it to behave 3 more days .image

Best of luck to all the mara runners on Sunday  and don't be sh1te.image

Bit of speed for me this morn:

6x400+4x800+1 mile all in a 10 miler.

The 400's were all around 90's with 45 sec recovery, the 800's 3 mins with 100 secs recovery and the mile was 5:56 which is a pb by 1 sec and only my second sub 6 mile ever.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - when are you coming over?  (To London, not to my house!)

I'm going to the expo tomorrow afternoon - anyone else there then?

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ant / Rich - studiously ignoring all symptoms. Despite the coughing and snotty off-spring, I think there's actually a fair shout it might be more hay fever related as I've been getting itchy eyes having gone for my lunchtime runs this week. Grass pollen is a real pain, although nowhere near as bad as it was when I was a kid. A bit of a drawback for a cricket lover!

Leslie - evidence that the training is working and you're getting quicker then image Good stuff.

Minni - I will be, although not sure what time exactly. Probably somewhere around 3, but the day's plans are all rather fluid!

• No marathon for me next year. Gonna take a year off, run some races I never have (10K, Half) and clock some nice times and have a go at Brighton again in 2016.

It's difficult to forget about a time once you have it set in your mind. I dare say come 2016 3:15 will become 3:05.

Good luck all this Sunday. I will be watching.

• Abbers - Mrs. Ant is off sick this week, coughing and spluttering like a good 'un. Luckily it doesn't seem to be contagious, but just in case I've got her sleeping on a mattress downstairs! Anyway, I have been sneezing a bit but would also put it down to hayfever. In taper time it's difficult to distinguish between what is normal in terms of niggles, sniffles etc. and what is not.

Minni - my plane lands at Stansted Airport tomorrow at 15.50, and I'll be going straight to the Expo from there. I should be there about 5.30-6.30. I'm hoping to buy some stuff - shoes, shorts etc.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

RW used the term "maranoia" to describe taper madness in the latest issue. image 

Did the fizz live up to knee trembling expectations Ant?

Edinburgh again Frazer! You'll have a loyalty card soon. Hope the weather is kinder this year for you. What's the course like at Loch Ness? Sounds hilly....

Minni, recovery had gone surprisingly well thanks. I have some odd flaps of skin dangling from my feet as a result of the, quite frankly, enormous blisters but apart from that everything seems intact. A bit of numbness in one foot. Shins are ok. Hip is quiet. I had 2 days off and was then back in the pool and on the bike - gentle at first but back to full effort now. Running wise I took a full week off and it's run number 3 tonight - gently building for another week before doing anything meaningful just to be on the safe side. I actually feel better than after any road marathon that I've done. I must have been slacking off!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

I think I'm being a bit fick!

I can't seem to create a gallery in in this here Runner's World. Any clues where to click?

I have a rather nifty photo to share...

SB

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Thanks Marrows. If only it were that easy. I hit the add image icon but it says;

"Sorry! you do not have any personal albums yet. Please create an album below before uploading:"

can't find how to do that.  image

SB

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

OK workaround found.

Got into the VIP area at the start on Sunday and met this lovely lady.
    I'm the one on the right...with the hair!

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/submitted_images/3122_1.jpg

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Sporty B - a bit rude of Paula to photobomb you and your mates?image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Right folks, I'm not likely to be on again between now and Sunday. Out tonight, and then day off tomorrow to head up to London, expo, etc. and I'm not a smartphone owner, so forum access will be haphazard.

To all my fellow VLMers - make the start line in one piece, and cash in that training! Good luck one and all image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I think SB could easily photoshop the other two out.
  • Minni wrote (see)

Ant - when are you coming over?  (To London, not to my house!)

I'm going to the expo tomorrow afternoon - anyone else there then?

I'm flying into Heathrow tomorrow 9:25 am and will be at the expo as early as I can be. Anyone know that the rules are about suitcases etc are at expo?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    PMJ - you have to get out of the suitcase before you get your Number.
  • Minni wrote (see)
    PMJ - you have to get out of the suitcase before you get your Number.

It's OK, I put the kids in the suitcase, makes for cheap holidays.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    SJ needs to post a foot pic
  • No foot pics! 

The expo was pants this year. So small I actually missed the entrance first time round. The highlight was being pounced on as I picked up my number by a researcher doing something about genetic predisposition and elite runners. They stole some of my blood. I let them, because they called me elite! 

• I'd agree with Speedy re Expo - maybe it's because I've been a number of times, but it lacked the wow factor. Even the London marathon music that normally makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up on end was very quiet as you went in. No Comrades stall either.

I couldn't justify shelling out £160 (which included the discount) on a new running jacket, but still managed to come away with a few things, a number of which contain beetroot. image

Also, I wasn't asked for a blood sample. image