Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭

I'm in.  I had a baby 4 weeks ago and itching to get running again.  Can't wait image

• I'm in again for 2015 image

Legs feel back to normal today for the first time since Sunday and am no longer getting called hop along!

Hoping with enough training I can aim for sub 5 or even closer to sub 4.30 next year. Crazy to think that this time last year I couldnt even jog for longer than a few minutes without getting out of breath

Tillstar, I would definately say that running your first without worrying about time makes it more enjoyable! I was aiming for 5 hours which I was on course for up to mile 15 when my IT band went and I just threw the time out the window and still enjoyed the race and finishing despite the pain

• Thanks Soph image Glad you are back again for 2015

• Defer e-mail arrived and I'venow entered for 2015.  Chest infection still here though so no running at the minute image

• Its funny how we runners say were never again going to put myself though that again and yet we still enter  theses races as for me i was only ever going to run 1 marathon but here I’m 5 Brighton marathons later

we must be mad or is it just hooked when i figure that one out I’ll let you know

• Hi All.

I am another 'never again' marathoner who has now entered for 2015.

I took part in Brighton Marathon 2012, trained for sub 4hrs, had great crowd support great weather and a great run coming in at 3:55:17, so was very chuffed. However, for many weeks afterwards I vowed 'never again' as I struggled to regain my mojo. Could find no real pace and had little enthusiasm for running during those weeks. So 2012 remains my first and only marathon.

Am looking forward to 2015 as my running buddy has no particular target in mind, apart from finishing.

• Good Luck for London Yvonne, please let us know how you get on

• Tillstar don't worry I will do image,whether it's good or bad....although I'm not running for a time I would still like to be done in 4 and a half hours ...

• Hello Folks. Some familiar names on here from when I ran the race a few years ago. After running berlin and manchester since then I thought I would come back and run along the south coast see front. Entered earlier in the week - so will keep in touch over the coming year.   image

• Nice to have you back again AGF

Well I did the 5 miles anyway as I'll never make it to Brighton if I only run when I feel like it. Makes it 30 for me for the week and that's me done as I'm away this weekend. Very glad I went tonight best run I've had all week. Was hard finishing with a steep uphill but pace was actually better than most of my flat runs this week. Really enjoying running now I'm not constantly trying to hit a certain pace. Would have been an even better run if the local farmer hasn't been muck spreading on my route image
  • hope you don't mind me joining, i had to defer 2014 due to injury so 2015 will be my first.

Plan to do some half marathons during this year before training for brighton kicks in!

Donna 

• Banksy81 no the more the merrier

• I've  just entered with my fiancé, although he has only just started running. Thought would enter him before he changed his mind lol. Is 1 year doable to train for a marathon. He has built himself up to 5k quite quickly. It will be my first marathon too. 

• Hi sarahrunner, congratulations for entering yourself and your other half into Brighton for next year, and all the best for your training over the next year - it is one year to the day that we'll be toeing the line - in fact, one year from now I'll be in the car half way to Brighton!

A year to train for a marathon is definitely doable - it'll give you plenty of time to build up the mileage very slowly so your body can adapt. As a rule I normally start to get serious about my marathon training about 4 months before the event, but I've been running since '92 and my body kind of knows what to expect!

My advice would be to spend the next 7-8 months enjoying your running, gradually increasing the mileage whilst including the odd week of reduced mileage to give the body a rest, before following one of the training plans you can find either on Runner's World or in the 1000's of books there are out there on marathon running. I'd also advise including some races in your running so you and your other half can get used to running with a lot of other people around you - start with Parkruns and move up to a decent sized half marathon sometime later in the year.

Also, if you're not a member of a club you and your other half could join one - you'll find there's plenty of 'been there, done that' veterans of marathons that'll give you advice along the way!

Hope all goes well over the next 365 days of training!

• Thanks Simon!! Great advice really appreciate it. I have entered us into a few races were doing a 10k in July and the Bournemouth half marathon in October. 

• no running for me this week but must get back to it on Monday it will be strange just doing short little runs after all that long mileage but I’m going to have to step my game up over the next year as my daughter (Snowmaiden) has decided she wants to go for a G/F/A place at Brighton next year so she can get into London the following year which means she’ going to have to take another 1hr 40min of her time for this year

so were firstly going to have to get her used to running continual instead of the run walk and then build up the pace she running at as she will have to get used to running at least 8:58 pace to achieve her target and after all i can’t have her getting in and not me which means i have to take at least 20 minutes of my time as well

sarahrunner good luck with the training i hope all goes well we try to keep this thread running all year if we can so keep posting and let us know how it’s going

• Well, I wont be running the Brighton Marathon next year as I will be concentrating on getting my 10k and half marathon times down for a while.  I plan to run the BM 10K though a year today.  I have said that I wont run another marathon until I can run a half marathon in under 2 hours, so have to lose 27mins 09secs off my half marathon time before I can contemplate another Marathon.

Sarahrunner - I went from running 10k races to running a marathon in a year, so it is completely doable.  2013's marathon was completed in 7hrs 10mins, but the aim was just to get my daughter round and for us both to finish the race.  This year (2014) we both took considerable time off our 2013 times, me taking just under 1hr 20mins off to finish at 5hrs 49mins and my daughter taking almost 1hr 45mins off to finish at 5hrs 26mins.  Good luck with your training.

Good luck to anyone running London tomorrow, especially Yvonne, I dont think I could even contemplate running 5 miles at the moment yet alone another 26.2. 

• Would you mind if I joined you all?  I am 39, have never run more than 5k before (and not for a couple of years now) and I have just registered for the Brighton Marathon.  Am I mad to think I can do this?  Have a left it too late in life to start training for something so massive?  I think I'm having a midlife crisis...

I'm going to need lots of tips and support, so I'm hoping I can find that here!

• Soph86 - I just saw you on TV image

Rest day for me and I can't wait to run again. Can't believe the transformation in my running and how much more I am enjoying it now I finally decided to run as I feel and stop stressing about the pace. Funny thing is now I doing that my average pace is getting better and better averaging 10 mins at mo.
  • SleepyJ not at all i was 44 when i took up running again and never ran my first marathon until i was 46 so you’re a mere spring chicken and a year is plenty of time have a look at the advice given here by Simon as it’s good sound advice

Simon Lynch 2 wrote (see)

Hi sarahrunner, congratulations for entering yourself and your other half into Brighton for next year, and all the best for your training over the next year - it is one year to the day that we'll be toeing the line - in fact, one year from now I'll be in the car half way to Brighton!

A year to train for a marathon is definitely doable - it'll give you plenty of time to build up the mileage very slowly so your body can adapt. As a rule I normally start to get serious about my marathon training about 4 months before the event, but I've been running since '92 and my body kind of knows what to expect!

My advice would be to spend the next 7-8 months enjoying your running, gradually increasing the mileage whilst including the odd week of reduced mileage to give the body a rest, before following one of the training plans you can find either on Runner's World or in the 1000's of books there are out there on marathon running. I'd also advise including some races in your running so you and your other half can get used to running with a lot of other people around you - start with Parkruns and move up to a decent sized half marathon sometime later in the year.

Also, if you're not a member of a club you and your other half could join one - you'll find there's plenty of 'been there, done that' veterans of marathons that'll give you advice along the way!

Hope all goes well over the next 365 days of training!

• Tillstar glad you’re enjoying your running again but i wouldn't go any higher with the weekly mileage

• Thank you toby3 - I was thinking along the same lines - park runs, then to 10k and then half marathons.  I put myself down for a 6 hour+ time; I have no idea how fast I can run so seemed like the best option.  I had a read of the last Brighton marathon thread - you all put in some very impressive times.

I'm going to have a look around for some training plans; the sooner I'm out there and doing, the better.

• SleepyJ it may well be worth not setting yourself a time for your first one and just enjoy the atmosphere and just aim to get around and finish that way there no added pressure and then if you get a good time it’s an added bonus after all it’s going to be a Personnel best time

• Poohbear, you will def be able to cut that time out I cut out 25 mins on my half marathon time with about four months of the marathon training and just knowing you don't have to run for as long to finish is a great feeling image

Anyone else strangely jealous of the London runners today? Managed a 2 mile run yesterday to shake the muscles out so back to a opposite taper now to pick up training again. Hoping for a sub 4.30 next year

Tillstar, ah I watched it and must have missed myself. Great feeling watching it back though on tv and realising you were a part of it. Glad your running is going well you'll ace it next year!
  • madness. I've entered.

assuming that nottingham goes well in September (first marathon for 20 years!) I'll have a right old pop at a decent time for this one. good luck all image

• Morning all

well i was going out for a run today but have to wait for the gas man so it’s the treadmill for me just going to 3 miles like  soph86 just to get the legs working again then I’m going to attempt to build the pace up over the next 3 or 4 weeks as i want to have a pop at my 10k time when i run the Bristol 10k in may my PB stands at 46:17 would love to go  under 45minutes