Average 10k times

2»

Comments

• Stuart - about 3 months after I started running I was probably around that pace and a sub 60 minute 10K seemed impossible. Natural ability does play a big part as I still find it hard to take that some people can just average 9 minute miles or even quicker with limited or no training. However, if you work hard at it, you pace will improve. 

If you are following a half marathon program, you should be getting in the mileage and the interval training will definitely help. I think it's just a matter of time and keep going at it. I did get under 60 minutes in my first 10K which was about 5 months into my running. A year later I was down to sub 55. Another year later down to sub 50 and another year later now down to a 10K PB of 44:17. A lot would probably consider that slow progress as well!

• Started running this time last year, I have my time down to just under 55minutes (although officially it is 56:30 but the course was 400 metres too long!!!).

I am 44.

• Legend777 - Thanks for the reply. It gives me heart that it will improve and a 44 10k PB I would def be happy with! Thanks again for the input. Everyone always says don't worry about the speed... but I do! I will get there eventually. I think Im doing the right things so hopefully will just take patience and time. image

• Stuart Cotterill - I've learned the hard way that to get your speed up you need to run faster!

For a couple of years I plodded along focussing on distance rather than pace and assumed I would just natuarally get faster eventually. I didn't!

For the last couple of months I've been focussing on hill training and fartlek sessions at a 5km distance, and my 10km distance PB has finally dropped to under the magic hour - to 57.19 in the last month or so - shaved over 6.5 minutes off in 5 weeks.

Think quality not quantity and you'll get there.

• Hollym100 - thanks for advice. I have been doing just that aswell as distance runs since that post. I'm now doing 9 min miles for 10k and progressing in leaps and bounds! Need to stop smoking and i will be even better! image
  • Dan DriscDan Drisc ✭✭✭
    After 7 months of consistent and increasing training I'm hoping to get my 10k pb down to 53:00 this week. I will be elated with that- seven months ago I couldn't have.done it in less than 1hr 10. I'm 38 and have gone from 105ish kilos to 90ish over that time. I'm rubbish at following a training plan though doing Jantastic with a virtual team helped me to focus. I usually just do what o feel like, or what time allows, or what my running partner wants to do. A couple of observations I've made in this period: rest is important- the other week I managed to run at record speeds on two.consecutive.days after a three day break; sometimes it feels crap, and I can't believe I'm actually getting slower, omg I'm never going to improve- then I do, and it was just a bad day after all.
  • I'm 73 and my PB for the 10K is 53: 43 . I'm finding it hard to beat my PB's as I get older!  There is a great deal of psychology in running and determination and grit for me are an essential part of a race.

• I thought I may as well join in!  Ive been running for about 4 years now and my best is 47:47 (a month ago).  Not sure I'll get down to a 45 min 10k, maybe on a flat course or a treadmill).  A 10k is a great distance, not too far and not too short!  But just go out and enjoy it!

• I want to know how Gavin White got on.

• I don't train consistently through the year and go through long lazy periods. After a week or so of cardio and distance, I expect sub-50min for 10k. For some reason, getting that closer to 45min seems to be exponential in difficulty but it's my mission! I agree with a comment above; just aiming for a set distance doesn't really work for me. Using split times against landmarks at regular intervals and checking your pace constantly is helpful; just my opinion and what works for me.

• 46:23, and I'm 50. I've run since 2012, also an ex-smoker/drinker, and have logged 10 min/mile or slower runs for years on end. Just recently started to test my speed ability and have been breaking PR after PR, on training runs though.
  • <div>
    </div><div><span>Had a really bad 10k, worst time ever! Now I don’t want to run again, what should I do to get over it?</span>
    </div>
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Had a really bad 10k, worst time ever! Now I don’t want to run again, what should I do to get over it?
    I had a similar experience a few years back when I was convinced I was going to do a 10K PB, but leading up to the run I'd had a cold which, unbeknownst to me at the time, had turned into a chest infection. The day itself was really hot and I struggled to breathe, even having to walk at one point, and completed it a good 5 mins slower than I'd normally run. That affected my confidence in terms of running for a good few weeks. But if I'd really thought about it then there were mitigating factors.

The weather recently had been incredibly hot and you may struggle with that. The course you ran might have been quite demanding. You may have just ran too much recently and your body needed a break.

If it were me I'd probably take a few days out and then start off again, but slowly. Build yourself and your confidence up again.
  • Doesnt really matters as logn as you push yourself and you are happy at the end