Sub 3h15

Comments

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Martin - Excellent time! Well done for holding it all together through the cramp. Hope you're coach has plenty of leg room.

PMJ - Sounds like a good decision. Always better to live to fight another day - and there are plenty of back up marathons.

Was very exciting watching everyone make progress with the great tracking system that VLM had on offer this year. TV coverage was great as usual and London looked tempting in the spring sunshine. Even though Mo had a tough time, he's always so positive and up beat.

Looking forward to all the race reports.
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Fantastic time Martin! Very pleased for you. Whatever's next?image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

PMJ- shame you had to pull out, I was tracking your progress and you were going great. This endurance running can be a cruel sport.

• Well done oh purple sub 2.45 one!! Take a break Martin and have a great summer of running. I'm sure there are a few shorter distance PB's that need smashing!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Great result, Martin !  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Martin - That is a brilliant time, well done and your pacing was awesome!

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Martin - superb result. PMJ - shame it didn't work out today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Quick post from me, 2:59:37, a new pb. Saw Speedy most of the way round but eased back in the last 3 as cramp was looming. Very happy.And a nice meet up with the Chandos team
  • Quick post from me as well!

Cracking performances from OO-51, Speedy, Lit and purple Martin. Just hope you lot don't defect permanently to the sub-3 thread.

Delighted with a PB by well over 4 mins, coming in at 3:06:53.imageimage

Report to follow shortly, but right now I feel I deserve a glass of wine.

Great to catch up with the crew in Chandos for a quick pint afterwards - sorry I was finding it so difficult to stand!

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Well done OO! PB-tastic! Hope you celebrated well. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Another PB! Well done Lozza!

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo - Marvellous PB - 4 minutes is a lot!

OO-51 - Another great performance and PB. I'll have to train harder to keep up with the v50s on this thread.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

OO- Another fantastic performance, shows this taper business is a load of tosh. Very well done.

Brilliant effort from you too Lorenzo with a massive chunk off your PB. Chuffed for you.

While sitting in a beer garden at 12.30 having a spot of lunch with the family (thinking of you lot) it seemed a little too warm for some PB performances, how wrong was l. Nice grub though.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

OO - great effort particularly on the back of Paris.

Lorenzo - Enjoy the wine - you have earned the rightimage

• Race JaseRace Jase ✭✭✭

Some fantastic performances in here today. Well done all. image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Still can't believe it
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

OO, Lorenzoimage  well done, chaps  . . .

• PMJ, first to finish! Tough luck mate, thinking of the bigger picture and all that.
    Lit and Speedy, looks like I owe ya both.
    Martin H, what a fantastic result. You certainly left it on the streets today. Ferritic spheroids mate, and a CHAMPIONSHIP START next year.
    OO51: sub 3, PB, and a well earned beer. I’m having one on your behalf. There’s not many seconds between your time and the hour marker. As a veteran of the same category, I know just how hard it is to get that sort of a result. You belong to a very, very select band.
    Lorenzo: 4 minutes off the PB is a fantastic result and it certainly gets you into that area that makes you start thinking about the next campaign.

(Just swimming for me, and an hour of ever increasing torture from the coach. 2000m. At least I’m clean.)

Now then, it looks like I owe the nominated charities for 4 of you. You’d better PM me the details. I am a man of my word.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    In brief, 3.11.49 for me, but mainly huge huge congrats to the many with PBs, commiserations to PMJ, and good as ever to say hallo to so many of you in the flesh. Tired now, more anon.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

OO - image! After Paris and all, jeeze, you are good! Soak up the glory!!!

Lorenzo - Great pb, well done on a beautifully executed race!image Enjoy the well earned vin! 

• Congratulations everybody! Enjoy the relaxation and alcohol.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done on the champs qualifier, Martin.  See you there next year image

OO: congrats on the pb and sub 3

Lorenzo: that's a decent chunk off your pb and a GFA, unless I'm much mistaken.  Well done!

Poacher: well done on 3.11 - this is a sub 3.15 thread, so job done.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Purple Martin - fantastic job. Really pleased for you. I am now so pleased I didn't speak to you (somewhere around mile 5 / 6 you went by) as my achilles was mid way through crumbling and I may have cost you 10s !

Fantastic day for Speedy too, and I love OO all the more for following the tried and tested sub3 plan of running a marathon the week before at just over 3 hr pace. Good to see some faces in Chandos. Sorry you had a bad one PMJ.

As for me shit time, great day. A great start to the morning jogging behind the Kenyans  and Etheopians on a warm up lead by Gebrselassie. They were incredibly relaxed, and Kebede is miniscule. Then moved on to Mo's warm up. Unfortunately a mankini man was running along side him so I quickly gave that a bumsteer.

Onto the races, first 4 miles nice and comfortable, mile 5 achilles tightens, and by mile 6 it is all over - I can't put any pressure on my forefoot. I decided to shuffle to mile 9 to meet up with my wife who was in the crowd, but during those next 3 miles I had such a good time with the crowd (personal best hand slap of 9 people in a row), that I have a chat with my wife that I'll meet up at mile 19. More jogging and taking the event in, although pain is starting to outweigh pleasure, a few stops to try and massage the achilles, and at mile 19 I'm going to doggedly see it through, so we arrange to meet at the end. 

Jog and limp on, try and run a couple of times, and I'm finished in a personal worst of 3:19:08, and have to say I had a top day. I knew it was going to be a messy day; it was just a surprise I took quite a bit out of it.

Stats:

Gels 0, Lucozade 0

Pieces of banana 2, orange pieces 1, Chewits 2, Milk bottles 3, mini Mars 1, Wispa bites 1, mini milky way 1, fruit pastilles 3, jelly babies 5, assorted pick n mix 8, mini bounty 1

So I made the most of it and experienced a bit of the 'fun run' feel of VLM.  Stopping to chat was a novel experience. Running will now have to take a back seat while I try and get patched up for the long term. Totally unconvinced by my physio encouraging me to run in the last few weeks, but really glad I turned up today and got this one out my system. Biggest disappointment was not finding out how I would do with Hanson's

• Very happy to finish with 3:12:52 for a massive 13 minute PB. The first half was quicker than planned (1:35), but my marathon plod and a bucket load of determination up the stretch saw me home.

Just watched the marathon highlights, the atmosphere is so much better than on the tele.

Well done everyone on some great times.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭

AR - you went off like a steam train but I wasn't worried as you did the same last year and nailed it, so it's a shame the achilles played up. Oh well at least you got perhaps the more important point out of the London marathon experience.

Well done SB, nice chunk off your pb!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Evening! Will read back properly later - I had a great race though and so did Speedy - we were lucky enough to have our own personal pacer for the first half (though I accidentally ditched him and hooked up with PhilPub instead) and both smashed our targets. Sorry I couldn't come to Chandos, but had a date with a massive plate of roast beef in north London. I got 2:56:33 for an almost-10-minute PB. image

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Sounds like a fun day out, AR, if not rather painful.  You'd have probably broken 3.15 if you hadn't spent so long talking to the missus and eatingimage  Hope the AT heals soon...

Well done on the pb, SB

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Sandy B - Gr8 result and a huge pb too!image

AR - Shame about the Achilles trouble, hope you get that sorted soon. Sounds like you made the most of a very difficult day and to hobble and jog to a 3:19 marathon is a mighty achievement in my book! I too would like to do a fun run VLM sometime but I think it would be a lot slower than yours!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Lit - Outstanding!

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Wow! Literatin, impressive time. Well done.