Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

NGUG - You should enjoy Amsterdam. Great city, great race.

Heroine - There's no doubt weight loss and better attention to training will see your times improve, and possibly based on some peoples experience improve quite dramatically.

On the whole sub-4 or die thing, as someone who almost went insane chasing that goal (not the die bit) and only ran his second sub 4 in his 12th marathon the other weekend I think sometimes we need to set our goals based on where we are as runners. There are people here I looking for that time that I believe have it in then if everything is good on the day and I'll support anyone here in chasing their goal. I do think we often pick random targets that have nothing tangible about them than a round number and that ends up causing all manner of issues.

Personally this year now with Paris done I'd love to nail a new half PB. My PB is 1:43 set back in August 2012. Mentally the thought is of sub 1:40, but I'm ignoring that thought to see what level I'm at over that distance just now. Once I have a better idea of current form I can plan what I can do from that. Its always worth aiming to improve, but sometimes we need to be more rational in selecting our targets.

• Orbutt - yesterday I heard that classic line you mentioned. "How long is the Paris marathon?  Oh, the same as the London one then."  I couldn't believe it.  In fact when she first asked me how long it was I just stared because I didn't really know what she was asking.

Then my son's teacher, after hearing that I had run Paris, asked him if I was running London this weekend.  Maybe I should be flattered that she thought it was possible.

Losing weight.  Don't get me started. I am a peri-menopausal fifty year old mum of three.  It's just not happening.  I am no stranger to weightloss programmes and they have worked very well on two occasions after my last two babies.  I know all about healthy eating and had no issues up till about 5 years ago and now there's no shifting it.  It is very frustrating.  Perhaps when everything has settled down it will start to go again. 

I had such a fantastic time in Paris.  My fastest 5k was the last one, how ridiculous is that?  I'd love to do another one.  Maybe I might try harder next time but this time I just wanted to get round and to really enjoy the whole experience.  I certainly did, how many others came running out of the Bois de Boulogne hand in hand with a transvestite in pink stilettos?

Alas I now have the cold from hell and I'm spending all my time lying around and groaning.  Tricky - how on earth did you run after being so ill in the fortnight previous?  You are awesome.

Well done everyone in their achievements yesterday.

• Yes I agree Eggy re goal-setting. Sub-4 is very unrealistic for me. I struggle with my weight, I am not a natural runner and I don't really enjoy it either, in as much as I don't want to go out 5 times a week and hurt myself each time for the love of it, or for chasing a pb, mostly I would prefer to still be in bed! However as Emmy says, it might be that I'm a closet marathon-runner and just don't know it yet!!

I have booked a couple of halfs to keep myself motivated, so I need to be running 4 times a week, and if it so happens that becoming leaner and fitter makes running more enjoyable (hopefully) then I might want to re-assess and make it more sessions per week, I don't know. Mostly I just don't like being rubbish at something image.  PBs aren't really my goal in any case, my goal is to be able to push on in a race, rather than be hanging on all the time, there's a lot of difference between the pain you purposefully push yourself to rather than the pain you feel from inadvertently going out way too fast or not being fit enough for the task etc.  

I do love the feeling that I've got from running a marathon though, it's such a massive achievement, I want to tell everyone I come across that I've just done one and that I survived, but I'm not sure that it's socially acceptable to bore strangers to death with that sort of thing image

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Oooo rubbish website!! I wrote a long soul searching post and it crashed. Crux of it was.. I want a sub four, I am capable of one. If I don't achieve it at Stratford, I'll give up on the dream (how long for I don't know) and run some HMs and 10Kms.

There -saved you all some reading time!

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

A bit abrupt on my part.. apologies! Heroine - I'm with you on the not wanting to be rubbish at something and the bit about enjoying the challenge rather than it being a chore. Travelling 26.2 miles and feeling like dreadful because you're trying to do something you're not quite able to/ 

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭

Weedy - can you add to this list:

My birthday - 1st Jan

5th October - Blenheim Half

2nd Nov - Droitwich Half

Ta!image

• Yeah go on Emmy you know you want to do Amsterdam again go girl goimage  Any tips on good hotels etc Eggy/Emmy would be very welcome need to find the Amsterdam thread too... Mr NGUG who normally moans re the cost of travelling to marathons was over the moon ... I might have been a bit difficult to live with over the last few monthsimage

Heroine in H - totally agree re weight loss that is high on my agenda for my next marathon.  Goal setting is very important IMO.

LeggyM - I find it much more difficult to lose weight as well as I am getting older I dont know if its losing focus and eating that stray cream cake or what..

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Heroine in a half-shell wrote (see)

I do love the feeling that I've got from running a marathon though, it's such a massive achievement, I want to tell everyone I come across that I've just done one and that I survived, but I'm not sure that it's socially acceptable to bore strangers to death with that sort of thing image

Whenever I get complacent about running marathons - I remember something on Shades thread about being 1% of the population.

You should bore people with it because it's an amazing achievement. Do you know how many people have posted on here because of london and saying: one day I want to run a marathon. You seized that one day - you've done it and youve done something epic! Celebrate that! image

• can anyone tell me if Paris has a normal first come first served entries in September or is it all ballot? thanks

• Apologies for delay of this, went to see my parents in western France post-race with minimal internet access!

As mentioned, I picked up a nasty knee surface injury a couple of days before the race, however thanks to huge amounts of icing, RICE and antibiotic cream (and a restrained pace) I was okay for the first 30 kilometres, at which point things started flaring up. Was on track for a sub 4 hours when I succumbed to cramp in the last few hundred metres (within sight of the finish) and had to be treated, as the clock ticked over the 4 hr mark, meaning I came in at 4.01. A month ago I'd have been hugely disappointed but, given I wasn't 100% sure I'd be able to get to the start line 48 hours before, it's hard to be too upset.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Stuchbury - "Never give up. Never surrender."

That being said, maybe give yourself a bit more time. Like you, I targeted sub 4 and failed but I think I was trying to improve too much, too quickly.

I've decided to aim for an improvement which is half way - to see how that goes. If I can hit that, then I'll schedule the next sub 4 attempt - or go for half way again. image 

• Back with proper computer access now, so finally able to post about last weekend, there’s so much to catch up on so this might be a lengthy one, apologies!!

Firstly, it was amazing to meet you all over the weekend, I don’t think I managed to say hi to everyone, but I had a blast. Many thanks for the organisation of the meet ups, TD and others!

Congratulations to all who ran, I know there have been some sad stories of days not going as  planned (I’m very pleased everyone is on the mend now though!) but I am still convinced that even getting to the start line is a massive achievement!

For me, the run went well, it was my first marathon, so I really didn’t know what to expect, but the buzz of the crowd, the training coming together and the FANTASTIC support of Emmy, KeyserSuze and Elizabeth as running buddies really made the day. As I’d mentioned on here a few times before, I was very nervous about going out too fast, but having the collective experience of the other BCRCers and working together to keep the pace steady, I really think this is what got me home and dry!

I had a really low point around 24M where energy just seemed to evaporate (maybe I stopped the gels too early, but they were starting to repeat on me!) and the number of runners out on the side of the road, and ambulances got to me so I walked for about 100m, but the sudden realisation that there was only a mile and bit to go from the 25M marker seemed to summon up some extra reserves!

The crowds at the finish were just great, and managed to just duck under the 4h mark (3.59.57) although my Garmin said 4.00.01!!!

I loved the experience, although I struggled with the crowds, I’ve never run with that many people before and where the roads narrowed I found it a struggle to keep pace, but I guess that’s something that comes with experience of the bigger races.

Massive congratulations to the London and Rotterdam runners, hats of to anyone that can run that again a week later (and better their time!) or even do 7 in 7 days!!image

A little gutted that my Garmin still isn’t downloading and the run isn’t in the history…image

I agree with Eggy on the targets as well, as a first timer I really didn’t know what to aim for, and the race time predictor from my half time seemed optimistic to say the least. I think starting with an idea and then reassessing based on how the training is going is the best idea. But there’s something about human nature that make us obsessed with round numbers (or beating them)!

My next couple of months are based around cycling, I have a series of road events coming up over summer that I need to get my legs in shape for. I’ll keep the running ticking over until the Loch Ness training plan kicks off. We’ve got a couple of summer series of shorter (hillier) races coming up which I’m looking forward to and a couple of duathlons including the Corrieyarick Challenge for which I definitely need to get the hills in check for! (Weedy it’s on the 5th July, if duathlons are permitted on the list!)image

• Uisge Jo wrote (see)

The crowds at the finish were just great, and managed to just duck under the 4h mark (3.59.57) although my Garmin said 4.00.01!!!

And I thought I was close! Terrific time! When you saw your Garmin at 4.00.01 was there much despair/anguish? I'm not sure I could have handled seeing that on the finish line, I'd have cracked up!

Great story and great time, really well done!

• LeggyMountbatten wrote (see)
    Alas I now have the cold from hell and I'm spending all my time lying around and groaning.  Tricky - how on earth did you run after being so ill in the fortnight previous?  You are awesome.

I wouldn't say so Leggy. I ran what I could and fortunately had enough sense and experience to walk it out when I ran out of gas. I didn't feel proud of my time but really that's not important - the real race for me was finishing, having been told 2 years ago I might not ever run again. I think having a good sense of perspective helps - running should be for fun and we shouldn't stake too much of our identity or feelings on these achievements.

Stuchbury wrote (see)

Oooo rubbish website!! I wrote a long soul searching post and it crashed. Crux of it was.. I want a sub four, I am capable of one. If I don't achieve it at Stratford, I'll give up on the dream (how long for I don't know) and run some HMs and 10Kms.

Stuchbury - if you want something bad enough, don't give it one shot. Running marathons well takes practice and experience. But when you crack that big goal, it is so rewarding. I wonder how many maras OO ran before he broke sub3? Really, if something is worth having, it's worth paying a price for. If something is easily gained, it doesn't hold much value over time.

• Thanks Matty - and congratulations on the engagement and time!!

I will admit to being a tiny bit disappointment that it wasn't sub 4, but it only lasted a fraction of a second as I really couldn't have run it any faster and it just meant I would've had to get sub4 next time!!! Having just crossed the line though I was more worried about throwing up on a marshal than anything else (I may have pushed a little too hard at the end!). Emmy fixed me with a beer though!

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

TD - Paris was my eighth marathon including an ultra, and five of them (2009, 2012 x 2, 2013 4:00:09, 2014) were possible sub fours that didn't work out. The goal is getting in the way of other stuff. I agree achieving it is one might challenging task and I think I will have given it a real try... like you said to Leggy, we shouldn't stake too much of who we are about numbers and achievements. 

• So close... eek. I thought I'd be satisfied when I broke the hour barrier. Turns out I had enough juice to beat it twice. Not sure what it really means though. Have I truly done my best? Did I unwittingly sacrifice other more important stuff on the way? Could I have pursued more satisfying goals instead? Did I damage my health on the way? Who knows? Anyway, I know I am the sort of person who thrives on goals and a sense of self-improvement and believe that tenacity is a good thing.

Good luck to you Stuchbury image

• Hi Emmy! Beautiful day here, I'm standing in the sun waiting for someone to turn up to my 11am appointment, clearly they aren't coming but on a day like this I'll find it in my heart to wait another 5 mins, just in case!

After a long talk with myself after Paris I've decided that the next couple of months are going to involve losing a couple of stone and training more wisely (ie doing some runs outside of my comfort zone, trying recovery shakes after longer runs etc). I won't be doing another marathon this year but I have booked a few halfs, and it's taken running in Paris for me to realise that whilst I will never be a sub-4 or die runner I do want to do another marathon, and I do want it to be more enjoyable than Paris (just 'hanging on' for the last 18 miles really isn't acceptable, I need to learn to pace myself and to be fit enough to push on), thus I need to train harder and wiser. I've organised to run with a local group starting tomorrow, I'm bricking it!!
  • Errrm, that's a bit freaky, I most definitely didn't just write all that out again, I think the forum is having a mad few minutes!
  • LeggyMountbatten wrote (see)

how many others came running out of the Bois de Boulogne hand in hand with a transvestite in pink stilettos?

You'd be surprised. It is Paris, after all image 

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

TD - you're sounding just like my coach at work. How can I not go for it now?!

• Well done all who ran London! I'm being slightly glib when I say that it's just as knackering spectating as it to run it, but I am shattered today! It was amazing to watch - I really wanted to pour the energy I had into all of the runners we saw, especially at mile 23. All human life was there - exposed and vulnerable and just really beautiful, actually. I wish I could have run with them, to promise them they can do it and they are doing it and they're going to do it!

Stuchbury wrote (see)

There -saved you all some reading time!

Tricky-Dicky wrote (see)

So close... eek. I thought I'd be satisfied when I broke the hour barrier. Turns out I had enough juice to beat it twice. Not sure what it really means though. Have I truly done my best? Did I unwittingly sacrifice other more important stuff on the way? Could I have pursued more satisfying goals instead? Did I damage my health on the way? Who knows? Anyway, I know I am the sort of person who thrives on goals and a sense of self-improvement and believe that tenacity is a good thing.

Good luck to you Stuchbury image

Stuchbury, I completely agree with you - I want a sub four, and I know I am capable. I've knocked exactly 30 minutes off my marathon time from the first to the fourth (4:42, 4:22, 4:32, 4:12) and have a half PB of 1:50. I can do it. After seeing the sub 4 asics plan get at least three people to not only a sub 4, but low 3:50s, I'm following that for Loch Ness. I had been fortunate enough to get to bootcamp for asics 26.2 but hadn't got any further, and, if I'm honest, had decided not to follow their plan as I thought I could do it on my own - yaboo sucks to them! Now I'm over that, I'm going to give it a go. 

Trying in Paris was brilliant but it wasn't coming together and I remember thinking: "Not like this". I didn't want to slog my guts out all the way round to get a 3:xx and not enjoy it, or worse, injure myself by running/shambling horribly. I still managed a ten minute PB and loved running it again - the company, the route, the crowds. 

TD, that's exactly what I was thinking. Once I get a sub 4, I'll want sub 3:50. It's the same with half marathons - I wanted a sub 2. Then I got three and wanted sub 1:55, then I wanted 1:50. Now I have that, I want sub 1:50! That's the beauty of running. There's always something to aim for. I guess I just have to remember to enjoy it along the way. 

On another note, my friend who did Paris in 5:40 and was so down about the difficult run he had he refused to wear the medal, did London yesterday in 4:57! He wore the t-shirt and the medal to dinner yesterday. What a difference a week made!

• Mmmmm...... The whole getting faster. I just can't do it! I have ran 3 x 3:59's all with something wrong- pulled muscle, ear and sinus infection, recovering from an op. Every time I pressure myself about getting faster it all falls to bits. I am officially over it.    Maybe one day, but it will not be this year or next. 

This year is Ultra time, concentrating on going longer.... Next year new challenges which I will also be working towards this year. 

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

I firmly believe I have a sub 4 in me, notwithstanding the amateur dramatics of last weekend.

KS - your HM pb is exactly the same as mine - funny that, eh?image  Any chance you could send me over a copy of the Asics plan, I'd be interested to compare it to P&D?

Stuch - come on.  You know you want to....

• MalcsMalcs ✭✭✭

KS - what a lovely thing to write, you summed it up perfectly! I was up supporting too. It was quite an emotional experience - I wasn't expecting that.

Didn't think I was going to see any thread members and then a guy with Steve on his vest went past and I'm convinced it was Steve Ayling! It was just before the 15 mile mark Steve, if you read this. I shouted your name but it wasn't until just after you'd passed that I realised it was you image

Stuchbury - I think the more you want it the more likely it's going to happen so you just stick at it! I spent years stuck around the 4hr mark but I was desperately seeking 3:30. I was starting to think it just wasn't possible for me but I eventually got there. If you believe you can do it then you will.

yer maj - the plans we all followed are here:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/target262/training.aspx

The one Steve put together for me was excellent. Just enough speed, just enough volume. My friend Angela used an adapted version of the 3:30 plan but adjusted the paces for her target (3:45). She did 3:38 (a 38 min PB!)

Matty - awesome video, loved it! image

Ha ha, there is a likeness I'll give you that but sadly the medal man in the video wasn't me. Secretly I was praying that was the case because I knew I felt (and looked) like s**t image. The thought of that image being preserved on film would have been too much to take.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Never Give Up Girl wrote (see)

Yeah go on Emmy you know you want to do Amsterdam again go girl goimage  Any tips on good hotels etc Eggy/Emmy would be very welcome need to find the Amsterdam thread too... Mr NGUG who normally moans re the cost of travelling to marathons was over the moon ... I might have been a bit difficult to live with over the last few monthsimage 

What are you looking for? I can come up with some suggestions and different price ranges image

runnersbeen wrote (see)

can anyone tell me if Paris has a normal first come first served entries in September or is it all ballot? thanks

The ballot is only for the cheap places... the rest is just the normal price. Did you post this on the RW Facebook thread? *waves*

Uisge Jo wrote (see)

Thanks Matty - and congratulations on the engagement and time!!

I will admit to being a tiny bit disappointment that it wasn't sub 4, but it only lasted a fraction of a second as I really couldn't have run it any faster and it just meant I would've had to get sub4 next time!!! Having just crossed the line though I was more worried about throwing up on a marshal than anything else (I may have pushed a little too hard at the end!). Emmy fixed me with a beer though!

You're making me sound like a drink pusherimage Didnt you get a sub 4 in your "real" time? I know that my time was added on a few seconds but I thought you made the sub 4 barrier?

There's always another marathon to try atimage

I'm not sure what's going on with the forum today... lots of posts coming up twice and some not at all :/

• Mattywarr - just watched your video - it's great, a real tear-jerker. And I spotted a couple of other familiar faces at 6:55 image.

• Interesting to read everyone's thoughts on getting faster or just not pushing for a time goal.  I'm a terrible PB chaser.....four marathons and PBs on each occasion.  I know my day will come when things don't go well or I reach my limit, but I find I learn something new with every training cycle.

This cycle I learned the magic of the dreaded warm up.  I hate faffing around before a run, I just want to get out the door and GO!  This time, an ultra disciplined warm up routine was performed before every run.  I looked like I was having a seizure but, tell you what, it worked.

It would be great to hear from other runners.....what did you learn during this training cycle?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭
    Malcs wrote (see)

Matty - awesome video, loved it

Ha ha, there is a likeness I'll give you that but sadly the medal man in the video wasn't me. Secretly I was praying that was the case because I knew I felt (and looked) like s**t image. The thought of that image being preserved on film would have been too much to take.

Malcs - I'm sure we can find some video evidence image I'm on the case