A year to become a true runner...

Next years Brighton marathon is in 363 days. I need to beat 3.5hrs to gain what will hopefully be my last of "The 3 Pillars of Running"...

2 years ago I had a casual chat with my good friend Al. We both run a bit but needed a competitive goal to stretch us, to push us beyond our comfort zone! We came up with an aim, it was to become known as "The 3 Pillars of Running"....

Pillar No.1: Sub 40mins 10k

Pillar No.2: Sub 1.5hrs Half Marathon

Pillar No.3: Sub 3.5hrs Marathon

2 years later, we have yet to achieve a single pillar between us. Injury, sickness, time, money...these have all been reasons/excuses for not achieving. This is a disgrace. We are 34 going on 84. Time is of the essence! We must succeed! We must be glorious!

My quest to achieve Pillar No.2 will be in the Great North Half Marathon in September, but my focus over the summer will be the 10k....the 1st of the Pillars. So this is it, I have a year to complete my goal, a year to become a true runner...

Comments

• Very nice. But why are you posting here, do you want advice, support or what?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

It depends on the individual but I think 40m 10k may be more exacting than 90min HM, which in turn is a slightly bigger ask than 3:30 marathon.

More to the point though - I don't think you need to be running a particular distance in a particular time to be able to  call yourself a runner.

• So what have you achieved ? And why has money been a block ? Running is pretty cheap.

If you run - you're a runner. Your definition is just plain wrong.
  • I'm confused about the money thing too.

You say you are running 20 miles a week so you're doing something, it's just that whatever it is isn't getting you the times you're looking for. 

Hence my original question. Are you asking for advice on how to improve?

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

pretty good going to get a sub 40min 10k and 1:30 half from just 20 miles a week by the way. Suspect you will need to up your mileage for marathon but you seem to have the basic foundation there. 

'We must be Glorious' sounds a bit '300.'

• Still no explanation I see.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

complete and utter pretentious bollocks.

dickhead would sum your three pillars up just as well. 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Of course someone running a 3:31 marathon isn't a true runner, you are so up your arse! ..... Trust I'm not being to subtle with my opinion? 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Oh I'm an hour plus outside your marathon target, so yeah I'm not a runner, and when I crossed the line on my first 50 mile ultra again I wasn't a true runner.

all the other runners that work for years and don't reach any of your three random goals,  yeah all of us fucking useless lazy tossers that cannot run. 

i trust there is no confusion on your part, as to what I think of your three fucking pillars of running. Fuckwit.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

That's Numberwang!

• Say it as it is eh booktrunk haha

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

this has to be a wind-up.

That you samir?

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

booktrunk -- Get off the fence and just tell us what you really think about "The 3 Pillars of Running" image

• booktrunk wrote (see)

complete and utter pretentious bollocks.

Well I admit that was my initial reaction but I thought perhaps it was a clumsy way of getting into a proper discussion or asking for advice.

Seems not though.   

I suppose if you can't be bothered either to ask, or to come back and look at the replies to your post then it probably explains why, two years down the line, you are no nearer your goals.

• Wow, hit some nerves here...

Screamapillar - sorry I didn't get back sooner. I have no real agenda to be honest, I was just chucking it out there to see what happens, so yeah it's kind of a clumsy way of getting into a proper discussion, maybe hostility drives it a bit..

Nayan - yeah I agree, relative difficulty changes per individual, so 3.30 marathon may be just as hard as a 90m half marathon for some people, but not for others. In my case it's the former. Also 20 miles/wk is only my current form by the way, not my plan. And to run a particular distance in a particular time is just a means of measuring competency, to distinguish individual standards. I suppose true runner is my term to define the next level, albeit the benchmark for this is subjective & will always be open for discussion. The "glorious" thing is a bit like 300, ha yes sorry I get carried away. It's just a platform to be theatrical about something I like I guess. Just getting in the mood, a bit like Rocky & eye of the tiger.

Cougie - fair point, money isn't a factor, I guess I listed it as an excuse because it has indirectly affected my motivation to train. But point taken, I was wrong to list it.

Booktrunk - yeah it is "pretentious bollocks" really, you're right, I don't like how I've come across at all, wasn't my intention to be appear such a "dickhead", sorry about that. I've just always under-achieved & I'm eager to gain some kind of distinction/self-credibility. Impressed by your 50 mile ultra by the way, I'd like to do that too.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Can I ask what sort of times and weekly mileage you are achieving at present?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Birthofarunner: Cool reply image

• Blimey some people are sensitive!  Maybe he's saying, albeit clumsily as Screamy says, that it's the 'setting and achieving a goal' part makes him think of himself as a runner, rather than 'anyone who can't run 10k in 40 minutes is crap'.  He certainly never said that anyone not achieving his goals wasn't a 'true runner' (whatever that means anyway).  Just himself. 

• Oh great, that's x-posted with booktrunk's reply, so now I look like the one over-reacting! image

• Thanks for clarifying Cheerful Dave - was clumsy.

Nayan - I've only just started running 3 x 10k per week - takes me about 44 mins/run.

• Your current times achieved off pretty low mileage is good effort but you could achieve more if you gradually boost your mileage.

If you run regardless of the times you achieve in races or how many days of a week you train, you are a runner. You do not have to pay to run races to be a runner. You can run around local park, run trails, treadmill run, run on beach, etc at no cost.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

I'll tell you how this story goes -  you increase the number of 5ks or 10ks weekly, and each time at a decent tilt. You'll then pick up a copy of Mens Health or similar and read about 'speed work' or hills and have a go at that too. Short cut to getting injured sooner or later  and you wont get that much faster.

Then you'll ask a few folks who know or read the right books and work out that its more about large amounts of easier running and building up mileage slowly. You might even start paying more attention to core stability, flexibility, diet and sleep. Thats when the gains start to become more noticeable.

• See - we're getting somewhere now image

• Most runners find that whatever level of ability they start with can be improved over time by patient and persistent training.

• Jump on board the light trainer or minimalist shoe band wagon. You are not a true runner unless you own a pair or two of racing flats and or have a pair of Vibram Five Fingers or 0mm drop shoes.

Invest in some running gear like a GPS watch, running compression gear, fashionable 2 or 3 inch split shorts, running tights, running singlets, etc.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Don't bother with any of that sh1t that RoadWarrior is suggesting...  You need just three things, in no particular order, as follows: gait analysis, a titanium necklace, and an iPod image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Don't forget those long socks and one of those water bottles with a hole in the middle. It's essential to carry at least 1 litre of Lucozade even if just running around the block.
  • PJFrizzlePJFrizzle ✭✭✭

Everyone should have goals and I like the principle that Birth is suggesting. the fact is yes it's achievable from a zero base, yes it will be hard work, yes you have to be knowledgable. The guys seem a bit sensitive to the fact that you have natural ability that takes you further than many years of training.