RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• It will be a fun run for me for sure, but given the lack of training probably not much fun! Off for my last runbefore Boston withclub, will cycle tomorrow and Thursday trying to give my leg a chance! 

2Old: fingers crossed for you.

some great reports there folks, top work all. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Great race reports Minni, AA, KFC & Ant

AA that was lovely your son phoning at 18 miles. An emotional race report & what a way to celebrate your Wedding Anniversary - congratulations by the way. Hope hubby bought you some flowers.

Oompa I think the ballot may open at midnight but don't quote me. It closed after 11 hours last year. Good news on your running

2Old look after your back. When do you fly out to Boston?

Chick & DD not long for you both either.

Shame no HM at Abingdon on the same time as the Marathon. Oh well.

• Freemers, so sorry things didn't go to plan image Your training has gone so well, you've been flying! We saw you just before 14M and you were looking good. Nobody ever wants to DNF but sometimes you just have to be realistic and look at the bigger picture. No race is worth crippling yourself over! I really hope you can get your foot sorted out.  Glad you're feeling more positive. Have a fantastic holiday image

AA you've done brilliant battling through all of the pain to still bag another sub-3:30.  We shouted for you at 14M.  Hope you're OK. 

Minni you know you made the right decision, it's important to save those legs for the relays on Fridayimage

Nice one Ant, and you were on the telly! You paced it really well - nice stats from the last 7km! Cracking result, you should be made up with that time.  It's always such a buzz when these things go to plan.

KFC you're bonkers even turning up with the training you managed, and you still managed to finish in a time many would kill for.  Hope you've run todayimage

Congratulations on the BQ Nikki, what an achievement! It's always good to hear from the silent lurkers, hopefully the thread will help you out again in the future.  Don't be afraid to post a little more about yourself and what you're up to image

O4S - legend! No, you will not give up just yet! Amazing as always, great picture with you and BA too.  No I didn't get the massive pasty - no marathon = no pasty! That's all I'm running next year for image

At least you look like a quick swimmer Barry! image Sounds like it's coming on well? Speedy tempo-ing as always. 

Get that back looked at ASAP 2old, especially with a long flight coming up.  Keeping my fingers crossed you get sorted.

Nice parkrunning Cooks! So soon after your spring marathon, I don't know how you do it.  At least I'm ahead of you on the quest for the red tee, I'm on 36 image

Hope the groin/knee holds up DD. 

I hope you kicked him in the shins Daren!

Oomps entering races again! Good stuff!

• I really enjoyed the weekend away in London.  Definitely made the right decision to defer - we ran 8M @ around 8:20 pace early Sunday morning and I don't think I'd have managed 13M, let alone 26!

It's the first time I've seen London from the other side of the fence but I was surprised by how crowded it looked from where we were stood.  We were just before the turn into Narrow Street / 14M, then crossed under the road to just before 35km.  We stayed until the 3:30 pacers were coming past on the return leg.  It was hard work looking out for people who we knew, seeing a constant stream of runners going past and trying to spot familiar faces makes you go dizzy after  a while!  

I thoroughly enjoyed cheering on the runners, especially those heading towards 35km.  We all know how much a little cheer or shout out can lift us in those darker moments - seeing people's faces light up, or getting someone to start running again after a walk break was worth standing around for hours with a full bladder! 

We got to see Mo on both sides of the road - the second time was particularly special as we knew he was coming before we saw him.  Every running on the other side of the highway was cheering and clapping for him, this roar just came rolling towards us like a Mexican wave and Mo came bombing around the corner! 

Marathons are so, so tough.  Even when training has gone 100% to plan, there are so many obstacles along the 26.2M course that can shatter our plans.  We take the rough with the smooth, the highs with the lows. I honestly don't think those blindingly brilliant results would taste quite so sweet if we didn't miss a few times along the way. 

• So now the countdown to Boston begins!  The ultimate Marathon Major.  The Big Daddy of marathons.  The prestigious qualifier.  Our taper-ees Chick, 2old and DD are seven sleeps away from their rollercoaster ride around Boston.  Anyone got a picture of a tapir?!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI kfc, thanks for the feedback and enjoy a rest before back to training eh ;0)

Hi Barry, Nice splits on the 6M run, I am 44 (45 this August) so it would have to be a PB of 3:15 in May (current PB 3:20)...I have spent time over in Boston in the past as my company is based around Hopkington, Milford etc.. so would fancy that some time, we will see. I will get though Edinburgh and York this year ;0)

7 miles of hill reps this morning and squeezed in some S&C at the gym this afternoon, I do enjoy the gym sessions, there was an extremely large grunter on performance today.....God, he made some noise! Lovely morning which made the hill reps almost pleasurable...well almost....

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD- your reverse taper could work pretty well. Any thoughts about how you're going to pace it yet? 

Carrot- no time to see anyone now ..too busy at work . I' m a bit worried about the long  flight but I will walk about as much as possible. Thanks for the crossed fingers. 

Pink- I fly Thursday. Yes pity about nonHM at Abbingdon. If I can't do it maybe you'll take my marsthon place? Just a thought 

just to add to life's rich tapestry we had a flood through our living room ceiling tonight. Who said tapers are for recovery? 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Brilliantly executed race Ant - very satisfying to know you've run your best.  510 people passed me in the last 7.2k... image

Brilliant news oompa - great to have you back running 

2old - correct, carbs definitely not my problem this time!

First post marathon beer for me too tonight.  Chin chin O4S.

Amazingly, I've resisted the strong temptation to go for a run today.  Cycling was a little easier and the legs are loosening off.  Marathon training starts this weekend!

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Carrot I liked your report as it was from the spectators point of view. I know what you meant when you said about spotting people you know amongst the runners - it can give you face ache. Wonderful experience seeing Mo as well. The elite men's field this year was really strong.

2Old - now there's a thought!!?! image

Nell Nice hill reps - I love hills!

For DD, Chick & 2Old

/members/images/775100/Gallery/tapir.jpg

I'm off to running group this evening and have decided to go for the 7 miler as I need to be running that this week as part of my training plan. Our Stratford numbers are here & I'm determind not to loose the bet. image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot- 5 sleeps now..gulp...5 days until I run again . Lucky you soaking up the atmosphere on Sunday without the pressure of racing. 

pink- nice tapir...not like that last ugly thing. Enjoy your runs tonight. Got you thinking about Abbers haven't I?

kfc- training for the next or last marathon ? 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    2old - a flood? Whatever next?!!! There's never a dull moment in your life!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Brilliant tapir, pink image

2Old wrote (see)

pink- nice tapir...not like that last ugly thing.  

Oi! I posted that one and it was a damn crayzee oneimage. Flood??? OMG. Hope you get it sorted before you fly ....

In other news: those backpack explosions in Boston yesterday sort of shattered my confidence a bit. It was probably just some attention-seeking whacko, but still. Pretty sick in my book ...

And if we didn't know already that I was taper mad: Today I ran 9 miles because I thought 4.5+4.5 equals 7. Ouch .....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Chick - I've just been reading about that and it sounds like it was an individual crackpot. Nothing to worry about.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-I knew nothing about it until you posted..it doesnt bother me but Im worried about my family coming to watch. 9 miles? Hope thats your last MLRimage until Monday.

• Fortune favours the brave so they say, so I refuse to worry. 

2Old: going to set off at 4 hour pace and see if I can hold on. Did 6 miles last night x country at a very suprisingly comfortable 8 min/mile pace and leg was the best its been for weeks, so severe taper might just be working. Have a horrible feeling that the wheels will come off at 16 miles though.

Will do 25 miles or so on the bike later.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-good safe plan .Bit worried we will both be getting to 16 miles and struggling

• Mornin' All,

Blimey it's cold up in t'North East... No wonder you lot from round these parts are so fast!image

Sorry to hear about your flood 2Oldimage

Haven't heard anything about this idiot in Boston? As Minni said, must just be an isolated loon!

Nice maths Chick!image Accountancy beckons?image

2 miles on the dready last night, and an hour with the Grunters strengthening my wasted quads... I am walking like John Wayne after a particularly spiteful Vindaloo this morning!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    2Old wrote (see)

DD-good safe plan .Bit worried we will both be getting to 16 miles and struggling

make that 3 image

• Great race reports image

Boston trio - sounds like taper madness has well and truly set in, Chick maths clearly not your strong subjectimage 2old - a flood, eek! What's all this struggling at 16 miles rubbish, you guys are seasoned marathon runners, the atmosphere is going to be awesome + you WILL all power throughthe pain image

celebrated our 8th Wedding anni yesterday by running a gentle 3 miles together, taking the m.g out with the hood down, country pub dinner + bubbles at home, happy days image rather liking being so slow at the moment as i can enjoy running with Mr Kiwi instead of getting frustrated at his pace.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I may not get a chance to get only before next week, as not sure what wifi coverage will be like on holiday....so just wanted to wish Chick, 2old and DD good luck for Monday. Take in the atmosphere, as you are going to be part of an amazing experience image
  • Go boston-ites. Dropping like flies at 16M - never!

Have had two days off. Might have another one off but the tri training has to start soon eek.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-image.Have a great Anniversary.

Freee-thanks-enjoy your hols

Ant-planning an IM now?

OK  I have removed mile 16 from my mind, it no longer exists , so nothing can or will happen. Is it ok to start carbo loading soon?

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Pink, Yes I have mixed feelings on hill reps. Sometimes I enjoy them sometimes not. This week they were quite bearable. I run up to the top of the Braid Hills and then afford myself a quick break to take in the view and then back down again and up ag.... the dog walker know me by now and consider me insane, can't argue really! Here is what drags me up the top....

/members/images/754569/Gallery/Capture1.PNG

Hi 2old, sorry to hear about the flood, at least it takes your mind off things image hope the back is ok?

Hi Oompa, You paint a beautiful picture after your gym session ;0)

Hi Ant, I got time to read your report in full. It sounds as though everything went well, and such consistency throughout on the splits...congratulations, you must be quite happy (albeit sore)!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

7 mile run this morning in 52:12, not really sure about the splits as the garmin gave me 4:57 & 4:33 for miles 2 and 3! Obviously some problems with the GPS, I know the route off by heart and mile 2 was well short as was mile 3, reset the watch and started again. Anyone else had this before or is the Garmin on it's way out? Ended up ignoring the watch and just running, should have gone a bit slower really as this was supposed to be an easy run image

• 2old: I've been carbo loading since mid December 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Dubai Dave wrote (see)

2old: I've been carbo loading since mid December 

Brilliant image  you will have the edge on Monday then image

Freemers: enjoy the trip image

Nell Blue: My Garmin is useless in built-up areas, near mountains or in dense forest. Looks quite mountaineous where you life so could have been that. Do you wait for it to pick up satellites before you head out?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I'm carbo loading for you all!  Cheers!!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Random colleagues just congregated around my desk to wish me all the best for the marathon. Got a bit teary and emotional image

• Cheers Nell - not too sore actually. Probably all the painkillers I am taking for the toothache though! Great view for your run - and it isn't actually rainingimage

2old - no IM (yet) I have an Olympic (dambuster) to do in June and a couple of sprints before that.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-dont go getting all emotional so soon

DD-Id better start now

Ant-sounds good.I was planning to do an Olympic distance one this year but not having cycled or swam since November I think it may be a challenge

Nell-beautiful countryside -almost as good as our part of the worldimageThat was a fast 7

ARRGH...I cant get away from this office