Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• steady and mikasa - well done on the biking

I am not too bad this morning, legs are stiff but no knee pain or hip pain which is the main thing. The stiffness will only last a couple of days. I think we are having a short walk and playing on the beach today image

chip time was 6:00:53

aim for Yorkshire marathon is sub 6 - I have 6 months so I should be able to do that!!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Pete - I'm still bit upset about the speed thing...but mostly I've resigned to the fact that that is how slow I am atm.

My back got very tired from the mtb'ing, from both sitting down and peddling with seat being lower and standing up on the pedals. Still feeling it today. Lots of core work required!

Bf made an interesting proposal which could mean 3 months concentrating on full time study from home which would mean more time for exercise as well. So question is, would it look bad on CV taking that time off for studying and having no work?

• It took me 8 months to find a job in this country when I first arrived image so I would say no I dont think it would look bad - you have a legitimate reason image

• Mikasa, if it's part of a course or for an exam where you get a certificate at the end then it's very legitimate to put it down.  It's always good to be able to point to something which has resulted from 3 months of study.  It shows "continued professional development"

And can I say to all you bloody foreigners....thanks for coming over here and making the place better! image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Yay well done MC image Well done on the race and the race report.

My weekend was not a good one, Lousy Cold = No Training, bad me. But my very lovely hubby did all the house work for me whilst I sat and watched London marathon and Paris Roubaix so not a bad weekend to be ill telly wise image

• image Pete husband was working at the time so we weren't starving - and until next year we cant claim benefits - it was more of a very bored me at the time!  

Oh and I just got a place in the Dambusters Tri image for free - yay Bucaneers!!!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Ali - Sorry to hear you're poorly, hope you get over your cold soon.

ButterCup - Whoop for the free tri!

Course I'm doing is AAT level 2+3 so will get a proper qualification when I'm finished. Not sure I can do both in 3 months but even if I got level 2 done I think my career prospects would be much better. I know lot of people do these distance learning coursed whilst at work but bf wants me to get it done quickly plus have time to concentrate on weight loss as well. At the moment work takes 10.5hrs of my day with not much chance for exercise in-between those hours.

• mikasa - I would say go for the study, won't look bad on your cv at all, it is not as if you are spending 3 months sitting on your bum watching Jeremy Kyle, is it? 

buttercup - wow, well done, I hadn't really taken much notice of the bucaneer free entry things but maybe I should have!!

mikasa - take into account that mtb is much much slower than road biking. Your back might be due to the bike needing a bit of adjusting?

I am feeling fine today, yes a little bit achy but I can go up and down stairs fine, we have done loads of walking, playing on the beach, eating ice cream.... image

• 2km swim this morning - slowest ever image 1hr10 - my groin/hip is niggly again so I have made an appointment to see the sports physio at LB uni for Thursday - I could feel it when I stroked on my left side - not particularly hurty but there all the same.  Was wondering if I should do my run to Long Eaton tonight which was taken out of my hands when big boss said there was a meeting at 4pm which we had to be at.  So quiet bike home I think image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

ButterCup -Might be slow (I don't think so) but you did it! I'll try to get back to the pool this week and see where I am.

Bf just called me and we have to move! image Landlord wants his flat back so we have two months to find something. Has added to the changes we're making atm/or thinking about. Might be good. But I hate moving!

• Im just not loving swimming at the moment - but told myself just to HTFU and do it.  Im not going to do the run tonight - will go for a bimble tomorrow image 

I hate moving too - our landlord decided he didnt want to do anymore repairs to the place and wants to sell it image so we too are on the hunt after almost 5yrs in the same place.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

It's also harder when it's not your decision.

I think I might be able to start running next week. If so, will do walk/run to start off and probably keep it short. But exciting!

• oh, sorry you two are needing to move, what a pain! 

buttercup - take care, I imagine the sports physio at LB uni will be pretty good!!

fatigue has hit me today, but we have been walking in a forest - about 5 miles I think, now chilling a bit. I'm not very good at sleeping and haven't had as much sleep as I should have! 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - tell me about it. image

Sounds like you having nice time though, except for lack of sleep. How long are you there for?

Work very quiet today and all on me own in the office. Boring!!! Such a lovely day as well,just want to be out.

• we're just here for a week. The weather has been amazing so far

finish line photo from Sunday

/members/images/624201/Gallery/llanelli_finish_0.jpg

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

The weather has been gorgeous, so lucky to have your hols now.

Great photo! You don't look knackered at all.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

It's been confirmed, I'm one of the 250 who will do Crondall Tri on 1st June. Eeek!

Gotta get training! Can't remember if I put 10 or 10:30 for my swim, hopefully the latter.

• mikasa - that is great image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Good photo MC

Pants for having to move Mikasa and Buttercup

Good date 1st June for Tri races.

I got home and decided to go out on the hybrid rather than the roadie for a change, so quick check over and off I went. 1 hour done and included a trip to the shops for some potatoes for dinner. Was slower than normal but kept it in an easy gear the whole time, no changing up or down, had to get out of the saddle a few times but good practice.

• Ok, so seriously marathons. People moving. Colds and injuries. Just a day and so much going on. Gotta catch up again, sorry image

• I'm supposed to be resting before my sprint tri on sunday but I got bored and ran yesterday lunch time...it was a bit of a plod and 2 minutes slower than last week.

MC, if you've got the energy to cheer and raise your hands in triumph, you can't have been that tired!

Mikasa/Buttercup - just think, you might get a better place, closer to a training venue...

Steady, it's good to change things around, stops you getting bored.

• Hey Mrs D if you do get to do the Chatsworth tri - I might try and drag husband out to come support ye image

• AliBear30AliBear30 ✭✭✭

Swim, Run and Bike done since yesterday morning, but cold is now trying to make a come back. Fun times and all were below par. Ah well keep on keeping on. At least the weather is nice.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I think we might try to move within the same building so it doesn't disrupt bf's work too much. It's just that we don't need the hassle atm.

Hoping to go for a bike ride after work today. I don't know what happened to Monday and Tuesday evening but haven't done any exercise yet! Off tomorrow to North Wales for supposedly some mtb'ing but doubt I'll end up doing much.

What's everyone else's plans for the long weekend?

• image Long miles on the bike digging the garden and eating bacon for the weekend.

Sorry gang been away from a mpc for a few days so just given the thread a very quick scan so might have missed something inportant sorry if I have but very well done MC. image

SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

I hear Belvoir Castle is a great place for a wedding Mrs D image

image They do nice races there to.

Upcoming races for may and june.

Stratford tri 11th may

Eyam half 18th may

liverpool marathon 25th may

cycle nottingham 22th june

gaintshead marathon 29th june

Might do ever MK marathon or the national forrest sportive 5th may some differing in the cake household at the moment as to what to do.

• I forgot about Stratford, not long to go, I'll have to start to think about training image

• Plan for this weekend (aka birthday weekend) is to be whisked away to Oxford on Saturday to see the Cezanne exhibition at the Ashmolean and get a long bike in on friday (going to take the train to Oakham and bimble around the Dambusters tri bike course a couple of times) and hopefully get a couple of runs in there somewhere too image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Nice plans ButterCup.

Just thinking aloud here. Would it be a totally bad idea to consider doing wild boar on my charge mixer 8-speed hybrid? I did use it for going round Welsh Coast for 7 days, longest day 87 miles and we did go up Pen-y-Pass. Now that I might take some time off work, bf isn't too happy about me spending money on a new bike...Nothing's certain yet though.

• Sat drinking a cold Cruzcampo by Playa Burriana in Nerja after a very tough and unpleasant week in the sun riding nice hire bikes along a beautifully surfaced undulating coast road with amazing views, running with similar views, and swimming outdoors. Gonna be tough keeping that going when we get off the plane in Newcastle tomorrow!
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Durhambiker - sounds awful! How did you manage?image