Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Suze - I've drive that route and there is very little flat on it. There's also a bugger of a hill as you head into Inverness. From reading race reports I'm thinking it's the one at 18 miles and takes you up to nearly mile 20. It's far far hillier than Paris.

I'm taking a completely different approach to Loch Ness than I have for all my other marathons. There is no training plan! I'm going to run what I want, when I want. The only rule is I must run at least three times a week and get in a minimum of two 20 mile LSR's.

I have no time goal for Loch Ness. It's a race I've long wanted to do, but never done it as I thought it could be a tricky one to lay down a PB and I've always been chasing times. My plan is to just go out and enjoy this one and since there is a good lot of the fine people from here heading up (or down in Kaz's case) to Inverness I can't think of a better time to do it.

Plus I spectated at it previously and there was an awesome fudge stand at the finish area! image

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Loch Ness marathon looks great 'fun', some good photos of smiley folks image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Got to admit having just checked out the route profile that's not how I remember that road! That down bit at the beginning I remember as more of a constant undulations.

• I do think that route profile is all wrong!! 

I am not taking my watch with me to Inverness. Simple. 

• TD - Sounds like you need to give triathlon a go. It's transformed my outlook on running and cycling, and before you say you can't swim neither could I (very well) but have now competed upto half iron distance and ironman is in sight. 

• Feedback from folk I know that have done Loch Ness is that it's hilly.  Like Eggy this has been on my wish list for a wee while so going to enjoy the scenery and hang on in there until I find the fudge.  And enjoy the great company of all you lot.

• +1 for triathlon. I love the variety - my swimming is cr*p, my cycling is worse, but my running is OK. I do it for fun. And I get to wear lots of rubber and lycra, and buy loads of stuff I don't really need.

My running is a bit more serious, but I do intend to try and inject a bit more fun into it.

And Loch Ness is going to be fun. I have heard of folk getting PBs there KS, so don't be put off by the profile.

• For those running around the 4 hour mark, why not attempt a world record? Apparently the record for fastest marathon dressed as a crustacean was beaten on Sunday in a finishing time of 3:55, by a guy dressed as a lobster.

Go on, you know you want to google 'prawn suits' image.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Nice 5 mile post London recovery run.

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Lol prawn suits. Narf!

• Wow, good for you hatter.

That wasn't meant as sarcasm by the way, I cant swim well either but feel i should take advantage of being near the sea.

Would you recommend improving in a swimming pool first before attempting open water?
  • I'm going to invest in a crab suit, and run sideways.

• Maxs Mum - I think DV is a good person to ask about swimming. He spent 18 hours in an attempt to swim the Channel as part of a multi-discipline event (he'd already run from London to Dover the day before), but the tides went against him. Anyway, he learned to do the whole swimming in the sea thing.

Hatter - triathlons. Mmm, not sure. I do my bike riding with these guys, one of whom is an ex-professional Kona type. I see that training just takes over the whole of life and I don't find that very appealing. I guess we can all choose at what level to train and there's no obligation to dye your hair blond like our young Engineer friend.

• Doing a TRi a Tri in Bristol on 1 st June and a swim - run practice 27 th April in Bristol 

my swimming is passable but not as good on a bike as I don't like going down hill !?!? 

Hope I can do the transitions ok xxxx

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

RunningRodent, did you see these also? Or for the speedier ones out there...

Running in his sixth marathon was Ali King, 31, from London, who today set a new title for the Fastest marathon dressed as a baby (male) in a time of 2h 51m 18s.

Thirty-five-year-old year-old Marcus Mumford from Worcestershire set a new  title for the Fastest marathon dressed as a toilet in a time of 2h 57m 54s.

I can only imagine going sub3 and seeing a man dressed as a toilet and an overgown baby already walking about with medals on, would be pretty funny if not surreal, looking through fuzzy eyes at the end of a marathon.

• Ha ha, loving the world records! maybe need to look back in the dressing up box!

Did my first run post paris last night (I know it was ages ago, but I had a week away with no trainers!) it was slow, but enjoyable - only grumble is that a favoured route is now fenced off due to a housing development image used to be lovely fields...

The advice I got for Loch Ness was train for downhill as well as uphill!

• Thanks Eggy and MacPerky - I have plenty of time to train for up and down. I'll see how the training goes and make sure that 'enjoying it' is number one on the list. I've found I'm much better at hitting a time target when I'm either not expecting it or someone on the start line says 'hey, I'll bet you could do this in x:xx time' - YerMaj and TheJimBob, I'm looking at you!

Doing a 7-8 mile tonight as part of Plymouth training. That's going to be an 'enjoy it' one, I think - no time to do anything over ten miles as I'm in Sheffield this weekend until Sunday evening, and then driving down on the Friday. 

Marcus Mumford? Is that the Marcus Mumford, from Mumford and Sons?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Morning all,

Maxs Mum wrote (see)
    Wow, good for you hatter.

That wasn't meant as sarcasm by the way, I cant swim well either but feel i should take advantage of being near the sea.
    Would you recommend improving in a swimming pool first before attempting open water?

I find them completely different beasts. I can swim "ok" in a pool but get scared of open water (it's the fish... the fish i tell youimage).

I love tri - but cant swim fast for toffee. I've done a few sprints and love them as the distances are so short but I wish that I could do a 400m swim and then 50k bike and a marathon afterwardsimage

MacPerky wrote (see)

I'm going to invest in a crab suit, and run sideways.

PLEASE do and take pictures!

A friend of mine Rik broke a world record in London for the fastest marathon dressed a pirate. He already owns the british record for running the most number of marathons in a year (136 i think).

SO... i'm now the laughing humilation of my office. I'm currently in a two week stint of being onsite at our vendor. EVERY run and walk i've done i've got hopelessly lost. Yesterday I was given a map, today a tag: if lost please return to....

But some good news. Went to a vet here with Boyska to get him checked out for his trip to the UK and was very happy with his check up.

- Perfect muscle condition, strong heart and lungs, great coat and teeth and a lovely disposition. His heartbeat is a little slow but he said that this was due to his "topconditie"

He said that normally he sees huskies who are overweight or have no muscle definition at all. When I mentioned at the beginning that he runs with me every day and gets a long walk in the evening he smiled as if to say: Ok, yes dear.... then after checking him out - said: crickey - you werent lying. Very happy furmama this morning!

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

A slightly belated well done to all the London marathoners. I was really watching to spot some of the thread runners - Steve, OO, RadarSal - but I didn't spot any of you. And I only saw about half of the friends that were running it and missed all of the celebs.

Could have been something to do with all the runners that crashed out at my spot just outside the Westferry DLR station at approx. mile 20.3. One chap was out for the count and had to be stretchered away by the St. Johns Ambulance crew (and they had to run across the road through the runners to get to their ambulance).

And I also had to deal with drunk spectators trying to jump the barriers to cross the road while the race was in full flow. There are some idiots about. Didn't help that I was outside a pub. Wasn't pretty.

But thoroughly enjoyed being a marshal at London Marathon. I even got a t-shirt and medal for taking part.

I've got the marathon bug too. After my first marathon at Paris I've signed up for Amsterdam in October and Brighton next April. Running Brighton means that I won't be doing Paris next year but it does mean that I can bring my family with me.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

You've got a husky, Emmy, they're quite something, very attractive dogs/hounds/wolves? There's a pair in my village, the owner has a proper harness he wears to take them for a walk, not quite sure who's walking who most of the time!

KeyserSuze - I don't think it is the same Marcus Mumford

I met the front half of the pantomime horse that holds the world record for running a marathon on the way down to the start in Amsterdam last October. He and his brother did it in London a few years back, sounded brutal.

LloydR - you might want to do a bit of towpath training for Amsterdam! Don't underestimate that out and back part - it's got one or two more bends in the river than you think.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Lloyd - You should enjoy Amsterdam. It's a great event. A great potential PB course too.

Suze - I hope your training goes well and you crack sub 4 at Loch Ness. I guess terrain preference is a personal thing. I tend to run far better on the flat (mostly as I'm as slow us they come going uphill), but I know others who run far better when there are plenty of undulations.

• Am I the only person that hated Amsterdam?? image

I find running on the flat really hard as its something I don't normally do. Using the same leg muscles constantly is,something I can't train for here. image

• E mmy wrote (see)
    - Perfect muscle condition, strong heart and lungs, great coat and teeth and a lovely disposition. His heartbeat is a little slow but he said that this was due to his "topconditie"

I'd love to get a report like that from the doctor image

• Great that you marshaled Lloyd - I'm aiming to do this a bit this year for my club (other club, I should say). At least it will get me out of doing the really killer runs image However, I've just signed up for a really hilly section of the Cotswold Way relay in June. Now that I've completed a marathon I'm suddenly being invited to join club relays. I suppose I should be honoured but I'm not sure they know how slow I am image

Perfect muscle condition, strong heart and lungs, great coat and teeth and a lovely disposition. We talking about you Boyska here, Emmy image

• Oh b8ugger, why is the quote thing so hard?

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    kaz1 wrote (see)

Am I the only person that hated Amsterdam?? image

I find running on the flat really hard as its something I don't normally do. Using the same leg muscles constantly is,something I can't train for here. image

Nah, I've heard others say the same. I'm the opposite the constant changing of pace on undulating terrain kills me as I go on, so I expect a huge fade at Loch Ness. On flat courses I can get into a rhythm and just keep knocking out that pace.

Scott can testify from my first Parkrun at Pollock Park that my pace drops off the edge of a cliff even on the smallest of hills.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    orapidrun wrote (see)

You've got a husky, Emmy, they're quite something, very attractive dogs/hounds/wolves? There's a pair in my village, the owner has a proper harness he wears to take them for a walk, not quite sure who's walking who most of the time!

Yes - he's adorable! This was him after his first marathon.

/members/images/334358/gallery/1522229_955212142060_1163811389_n.jpg

kaz1 wrote (see)

Am I the only person that hated Amsterdam?? image

I hated it too. Its my sister's birthday marathon so we always seem to do it. The only reason I dont like it is because of the canal section and the fact you dont really see any of the nice bits of Amsterdam. Coming on the inward stretch the canal is quite narrow... saying that - it looks like i'll be back for a third year in a row... :/

Running Rodent wrote (see)
    E mmy wrote (see)

I'd love to get a report like that from the doctor image

me tooimage

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Benign - I know... he's got a lovely temperament. He's with me at work for two weeks and the people here keep commenting about how relaxed he is.... saying that - he's taken a shine to one of the developers and wont leave his office!

• Max's mum - for me I prefer open water, no horrible chlorine to contend with and swimming is easier due to buyance from the wetsuit image I find I am quicker in open water than the pool. As long as you can swim ok I would search out a local outdoor venue and give it a go. I think triathlon England were offering taster days but you may need to be a member ? 

TD - you mean running doesn't / hasn't taken over your life ?!?! 

• Emmy - think I was trying to say that you have the same features, although looking at the photo your ears are smaller image

Funny that whole low heart rate thing - I'm often asked at work to do ECGs on patients who are young, slim and healthy looking because a new Dr has spotted they are a bit bradycardic (low heart rate). If I then ask patients about their exercise habits they usually love to reveal that they are runners or swimmers etc and are really proud their fitness levels. I scrawl love scrawling 'marathon runner' or 'tri-athlete' over the ECG.