Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon anyone?

bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Is there any interest in this? I know Edinburgh one cancelled.....can people transfer to one a bit further south??

Comments

• Yes loads of interest locally! There is a thread on here somewhere though. The Liverpool one looks like its going to be a sell out. I am doing this one, the course looks really good and challenging. and a max of 8000 runners.

Probably worth messaging them via facebook or email to ask about transfers but I cant see why they wouldn't allow that seeing as the Edinburgh one was cancelled.

• Hi Bev, is there actually a thread for this Liverpool R&R, I have a few questions to ask.

I too ran Manchester yesterday, full effort PB run and GFA image but always had this in the back of mind as something to bimble around and enjoy whist trading in the banked training.

Given that I was looking for enjoyment, there looks to be some serious inclines... what's the general opinion about how difficult this might be?

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Hi Richard!  It was great yesterday wasn't it?  Weather perfect and crowd support fantastic......I loved it! Although i felt quite nauseous for last 4 miles which someone suggested is dehydration.......Really looking forward to running in Liverpool but won't be running hard.....my chap hasn't done the training for more than a half yet and I would rather enjoy it with him than go for time! Hopefully more people will join this thread....

• Hi Bev,

Yep I really enjoyed the race again, and I have recommended it to quite a few people over the last year. Assuming VLM don't change the criteria again, it will be a bit weird to miss it next year. 

Interesting you should say that about water. I felt really good at the half turn in Altringham, chatting to some people, but felt the 3:15 pacer was holding me back, so I pushed on like I do in a half, picking off runner by runner. I was up around 4 minutes on the GFA at 20 miles and could not believe how well I felt.... and then at 21 miles the inclines started. The last four miles were tough (maybe not as bad as last year) but still a mental fight to the death to reach Old Trafford. Those last 4-5 miles really can not be underestimated, and I shipped off 2.5 minutes.

In hindsight I stopped taking on so much water over the last 40 minutes or so.... combination of thinking I had drunk enough, being so zoned out that I could hardly get the water in and .... feeling a little nauseous! Hmmm, seems your always learning in this running lark.... keep drinking, lots!!

I have until the 15th to get my entry in for Liverpool to meet posting out deadline. So I have a week to decide. I've brought my running kit to work today.... on the off chance I might see if the legs have anything left in them, they feel ok-ish, so might have a bumble around lanes by the airport at lunchtime. Liverpool looks like a fun event with some good entertainment and I have not been there for years. The Mrs has given up on hanging around for me whilst I go off racing, so this could be a good opportunity for us both to stay over and have a look around.

I still have a few concerns about that course though? Do you know the area?

P.S. The pictures for Manchester are up in finsherpix.com.

• Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭

I have had to pull out of London through illness but don't want to waste the training. Also I don't want to do a badly attended marathon on a tough course. Not asking much I know!!! but would be grateful for any views

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I really don't know anything about this...new to everyone I think! Just fancied the music and loved Liverpool when we went a couple of years ago so going with open mind. I managed a good time in Manchester on Sunday so not going to put any pressure on myself or my chap who has not trained for more than a half marathon yet......Just have a city break and throw in a slow marathon!

• Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭

Sounds a good call Bev. Missed my fast effort no but would like to have a go at this one if there is a reasonable chance of running relatively well

• Hi Doylie, just spotted this on the Manchester Marathon forum.

It was from Cake.

"Karl if your interested there is Liverpool rock and roll next month? To be honest it's not looking special but run marathons in Liverpool before and just as much support as Manc's."

Looks like there will be some decent support out which is a big bonus. I'll ask if Cake can post something over here to try and kick start the thread for other people who have nowhere to post.

• Hi folk, at least that makes about three of us running Liverpool.

I was getting concerned about the lack of news regarding the event after deciding to enter a few months back. The organisers seem more interested in displaying medals than discussing car parking and travel arrangements etc.

Their website is not very informative at best and a lack of a thread on here also had me wondering if I had made the right decision as I loved doing Edinburgh last year which is on the same Bank Holiday weekend. 

My plan was to run Barcelona and then Liverpool as my two spring marathons. But after having a shocker in Spain I decided to make a last minute register for Manchester.

Really glad I did. Can't say the route was very picturesque but what do you expect to see around Altrincham - the Hanging Gardens of Babylon?

Top class event though, great organisation and I was only two minutes outside my 3 52 PB which was ok for an old geezer like me.

I know someone who lives in Liverpool and he says the climbs early on out towards the football grounds will be tough - but there's a relatively flat finish.

• Doylie in Disguise wrote (see)

I have had to pull out of London through illness but don't want to waste the training. Also I don't want to do a badly attended marathon on a tough course. Not asking much I know!!! but would be grateful for any views

I've done marathons and halfs in liverpool before and the support from the local's is normally fantastic. I know large bits fo the course from other races and drunken nights out in liverpool and thinking some bit's of this route might be people just walking there dogs but other sections if your after crowds will more than make up for it. It's going to be worth a go fellar if you fancy it. Afraid it won't be a big as London but nothing else in the uk is but will still be good. Just a shame they took the marathon off the previous organiser's to give it to the present ones.

• Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭

Cheers Cake and Richard

Reckon you might have talked me into it. We have friends in the area so it would make a nice weekend trip, might even catch a beer. I will confirm over the next few days that I have entered once all other ducks are lined up and ready to fly. 

Cheers

D

• Just in case I think Edinburgh marathon is on the same day Will probably be full and won’t be as fun but nearest thing you’re going to get to London. But I’d come to Liverpool anyway It will be a cheaper city for the weekend and if you’re really lucky there might be ice cream at the end. image

• Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭

Cheers Cake, yes Edinburgh was of interest but the cost involved is prohibitive for three of us. Flights, hotel etc. Nope looks like this is the best option, have just sorted my accommodation with a friend locally and about to enter..............................

• Doylie 2Doylie 2 ✭✭✭

and...............I'm in...registered no turning back, better get rid of this cold and chest infection and get some miles in on some hilly courses..GULP!!!

• Hi, I've not posted before but I 'ran' the manchester marathon and am thinking I might just be able to manage Liverpool - today is the last day for entering to have your number posted I think.  The website doesn't give a lot of information - does anyone know how often drinks will be given out for example? 

I am slow runner and finished manchester around 5.12 - I really need to get under 5 hours and I do train I promise...am thinking of doing Chester also in Oct.  I think I saw you Cake as you said you were wearing a 'Balti' tshirt - I am short, chubby, and was wearing a hat!

• Hey! I'm also running Liverpool Marathon...you guys know if there's also that pasta party on saturday? good be good to meet some people around since I'm going there alone...none of the people I know are that crazy to travel to another city to run! image

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

I personally don't think the website etc sounds very friendly! I have mailed them to ask to change to the half but not at all hopeful. It was a mad day after Chester that I booked Manchester and Liverpool marathons with 6 weeks between!! My OH hasn't trained for a marathon so I guess we will do the first half and then walk/ jog the second half. Still looking forward to a weekend in Liverpool tho! What about dressing up?? Rock stars?? 

• GDixon61GDixon61 ✭✭✭

Cake - I am pacing the sub 5 hour Group at Liverpool so like Manchester - feel free to jog along with me.

Paced at London last Sunday and have to say the crowds were immense but I am sure Liverpool will be equally well supported. See you there.

• imageimage Dixon excellent mate see you there. I was at mudchute sunday handing out donut's and jelly babies and throught I saw you but couldn't be sure.

vegerunner wrote (see)

Hi, I've not posted before but I 'ran' the manchester marathon and am thinking I might just be able to manage Liverpool - today is the last day for entering to have your number posted I think.  The website doesn't give a lot of information - does anyone know how often drinks will be given out for example? 

I am slow runner and finished manchester around 5.12 - I really need to get under 5 hours and I do train I promise...am thinking of doing Chester also in Oct.  I think I saw you Cake as you said you were wearing a 'Balti' tshirt - I am short, chubby, and was wearing a hat!

image yep that was me. If your thinking of chester as well never ran it but from folks I know who have it's very well run race if any good.

Bev. I think there web site is a bit rubbish for info I saw some of the organizer's at the weekend down in london village and told them as much. I they told me by chance there would a lot more info up by the end of this week. Did discover one thing from them through the band at the end of this one is the farm. image 

• See the route has been tweaked. Will be quite interesting running up Matthew St, quite narrow!

Did London on Sunday, fantastic day, so a little recovery and back into training for Liverpool RnR. Local one for me, I did the Liverpool Marathon in 2012 and the support was good, different route though as the first half was on the Wirral then through the tunnel for the 2nd half.

Not too far away now.

• Hi I have chickened out of this one but good luck to you all, have a great time image
  • The farm are playing.... quality! Now that takes me back to the good old days image

Well for better or worse I entered. I am feeling really very strong after Manchester mara, and been hitting PBs on my usual course loops. I simply can't fathom what's going on after last Sunday. Still not sure about the hills on the course, but will probably go off around 15 secs/mile slower than Manchester to take the heat out of the pace.

The information is truly rubbish on that website. Does anyone know what pacers there will be? What energy products are available, and at which locations?

I also asked possibilities to transfer to the half just in case, and was told by email it would only be possible on the weekend now. I suspect you need to turn up and exchange your number at the registration locations.

I am intending to drive over from Manchester Sunday morning, no train service so early, boooo image, and stop over for much booze and music afterwards. From those in the know, where is the best place to park nearby (24hrs needed)?

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Richard-- so it IS possible to transfer to the half?? I haven't had reply to my e mail but think I would pursue this .....so change numbers on the saturday or on actual day do they mean ?? Thanks!

• Bev,

This is what the email said "we will have to make the change race weekend". So implies it is possible but only in person.

I think you are better to get a conformation email out of them, just if case they get a bit sniffy about changing you or handing out a medal at the end, as it looks a good one to hang with the collection image.

Although I am really enjoying my running again, I was just looking for some comfort that changing to the half could be possible in case I get a niggle. £50 is a lot of money to cut loose, but to run and jeopardise a niggle become a serious problem is a mistake I have learnt the hard way.

Looking a bit overcast here today so perfect weather for the first 2 hrs run after Manchester. I noticed this morning that my legs were a bit sun burnt after the last few days running... in April, in Manchester, so officially, it doesn't actually rain all the time over hereimage

• bev hartbev hart ✭✭✭

Actually....there is a comment on Facebook about the possible lack of bands on the half marathon route!! Wouldn't bother to change in that case! Just do very slow 26.....

• Richard just do the 26 miles you get a cooler medal. image There is quite a lot of parking near the marathon start mostly Q park from memory (don't drive) but it's pricey if your staying over after might be better off leaving the car at whatever hotel and getting a taxi/train into town.

• SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    bev hart wrote (see)

Richard-- so it IS possible to transfer to the half?? I haven't had reply to my e mail but think I would pursue this .....so change numbers on the saturday or on actual day do they mean ?? Thanks!

I transferred to the Half much earlier but guess they are saying they have already started processing the race packs now.

• Hi cake,

Just dawned on me. I thought you might have mentioned Sheffield at some point in a post somewhere on the forum

Now, I don't suppose that "Balti King" T-shirt originates from, or commemorates a certain establishment in Broomhill does it?! 

I am certain the place I am thinking of is still open; it has a certain degree of infamy amongst my fellow cronies from the early 90s days....

• It does and a student joke from when they used to sponsor the uni team's. Once went in there after one of my first races and after a few beers decided to form my own uni running club. This was in about 1997 if you where still there at that point?. Tony who you might remember from your own student days said we could have the meal and beer for free if I used that t-shire until I joined the 100 club. ( I was young and dumb) Anyway because I said I'd do it got to do it now. One of those things where you had to be there to find it funny.image

Once I'm able I'm thinking I might burn that dam t-shirt but for the bet I've got a few more to do before I can do that. image