Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Great news on Boyska, Em! I hope to meet him someday.

BM - I have the opposite problem: low blood pressure, high resting HR (usually above 95BPM). Accompanied with dizziness and tunnel vision when I go above 168BPM and it presents some training challenges. Interestingly, my blood pressure doesn't change even at the higher heart rate. Whilst I'm not the fittest of people out there, I'm also not the unfittest, so it's a little frustrating.

We're looking and looking but the doctors don't have any answers. I'm slowing weaning off some medication that may be having an impact, but as I'm slowly lowering the dose, I'm not seeing any gradual improvement.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Tinks - give yourself time to recover and adjust. Some meds take 3-6 months for the full effects to take effect. So the one thing you need to give yourself is more time.

Benign - Thanks. Our eyes are different too.

• Totally frustrating Tinkerbell. I remember what you said before about how this limits your goal setting. Weird and annoying image. If I were to point out a positive thing though, at least you like marathons above middle distance races - you must be best suited to these. And it hasn't stopped you entering mad races around a giant's knob or in the desert in New Mexico image

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭
    KeyserSuze wrote (see)

Thanks Eggy and MacPerky - I have plenty of time to train for up and down. I'll see how the training goes and make sure that 'enjoying it' is number one on the list. I've found I'm much better at hitting a time target when I'm either not expecting it or someone on the start line says 'hey, I'll bet you could do this in x:xx time' - YerMaj and TheJimBob, I'm looking at you!

Moi?? 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Best of luck to RR - leaving for Boston tomorrow.

• JokeybhoyJokeybhoy ✭✭✭
    Going to start back running this weekend.My original plan was to rest my knee for 3 weeks but I miss the running too much.I'll just stick to nice easy runs for a bit.

Good luck to RR in Boston,not that she really needs it,a marathon is just like a walk in the park to her,remarkable running.
  • Thanks folks. Will keep you updated, technology permitting.

• Thanks hatter and tricky for swimming input.

I may give it a go outside now it's getting warmer.

I can swim it's just I'm a bit breaststrokey (!)

Never been taught how to swim correctly really so no front crawl experience

Emmy you do make me laugh (the fish!)

What a gorgeous husky you have he must be lovely to run with. Did you get him from overseas? You mention bringing him to the UK.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Max's mum - Its true.... I'm petrified. I did one sprint tri in a lake and was overtaken by children! Never underestimate how fast you can go with breast stroke!

He is a pleasure to run with (if a little bugger sometimes). He is originally from the czech republic but we live in Belgium and he comes over to the UK for visits so he tends to have the busiest pet passport they've ever seen!

• Just swam lengths for the first time in 10years, (cross training as part of my move to the the FIRST program)  albeit in an indoor pool. 40lengths. It was properly knackering! 

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Nice pic of Boyska there Emmy, is he still quite young? And did I read that right, after his first marathon? You ran a marathon with Boyska? Where, how, wow!?!

Did anyone else see a guy running the Paris marathon in flip flops? I saw him just at the end of the Bois de Vincennes, he was going really well.....how do people do that? Is the next step (ba-boom!) just running without anything on your feet?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Orapidrun - I saw a guy running in what looked like flip flops but I also saw a lady running barefooted - her shirt said she was a member of the Singapore Barefoot Minimalist Club. Ouch. 

• Orapidrun - I saw the guy your talking about , he was nearer the back , so I guess running in flip flops is not conducive to fast runs , he did look very relaxed though
  • orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Scott the Walker - he was around the mid-front of the 3:45 mob when I saw him, he certainly added to the party. It was that distinctive clack clack clack that flip flops make which made me have a look. Ran near him for a bit just to check it out. When you say he was nearer the back, at what point did you see him Scott?

Orbutt - there we go, an actual barefoot runner. I can understand it on trails and xcountry but tarmac.....not so sure? Each to their own. Was she quite petite? A barefoot runner might well need to be of a certain stature, no?

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

She was tiny - but swift

• Greetings from Bean Town. It's marathon madness here - you can't move for film crews and people in blue and yellow jackets. Every shop has messages for the runners in the window. But most importantly, I've found a local caff that serves huge slices of cake image.

• Orapid- i finished in 3:53 and he was probably about twenty mins behind me , I guess he started off fast and slowed down , but hard to keep the pace in flip flops as well

RR - hope your enjoying Boston
  • Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Rr - your priorities are spot on! image

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Has the arc photo been published yet?

• I think they may have been posted a few zillion pages ago Andy. I would post one but don't know how. You need a masters degree in Nerdology to post pictures on here.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Difficult to keep up ... I'll check the who's who's page for it.  I did look but couldn't find which page it was on

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Still no luck!  image

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Here you go, Andy

/members/images/676282/Gallery/group_photo__small.jpg

• I went past a guy running in flip flops w/ strappy ankle bits. I don't know where or when I saw him, but I set off at the back of the greys and ran a 4h14 so...... I made me more appreciative of my comfy shoes. 

• Overtook the barefoot female runner in the Bois de Boulogne.  Was trying to get a sneaky look at her feet so see how hard they looked!  I've seen a few sandal runners at races, can't remember which ones though.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭

Smashing, that's cheered me up big time.  Thanks Orbutt.

• yer majyer maj ✭✭✭

2014 was officially The Year of The Calf Guards