Sub 3h15

Comments

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

lorenzo - maybe you could send him over to pace me round richmond park mara in a few weeks' time?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just copied Lit's report onto word to print it out so I can read it in the car - its SIX pages long! lol

yhsif - the hip felt a lot better after yesterday's fast running.  A couple of fast miles seems to release something.    PS can we start calling you Fishy instead of Yhsif?  Its hurts my brain trying to type it!

• Well done madbark.

I just read Lit's report and can I suggest you only buy gel flavours you like?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

It's for the variety, PMJ. I don't buy the tropical one. image But until recently my local shop only stocked the orange and blackcurrant, which is why I (a) know they are okay, and (b) think they're boring.

Minni wrote (see)

I've just copied Lit's report onto word to print it out so I can read it in the car - its SIX pages long! lol

It is NOT. Only just over 4 pages in 11 point calibri. image

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Badbark - cracking effort. It may sound counterintuitive but you could find that it's easier to do big miles all in one day rather than as a back to back. There are various reasons for this, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Obviously the key to 100k will be accurate pacing and fuelling

((Ant))

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Brilliant report Lit. How can you remember so much? Philpub was on my start and I did think his flag looked a little dodgy! Out of interest how many miles were you doing per week?
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I did P&D 55-70, Minni - probably around 65 average.

• Lit's report was a fascinating insight into the keys to success in a marathon - clearly her decision to only poo once pre-race was crucial.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Hello all image

Just back from my post-London holiday in the Lakes with no internet capabilities, so just had a mammoth catch up on events from last Sunday.

Lit & CC2 - wow, just wow. Massive congrats to both of you. Stunning.

Martin, OO-51 & TR's sub-3s also noted, admirable performances (Martin, my family saw "some guy in purple paint" go through mile 18 well ahead of me, and I assumed it would be you!).

PBs for Lorenzo, Sandy Balls and Marrows - great stuff guys (and girls).

Poacher churning out another quality 3:11, and even Ant's 3:15, while disappointing compared to target, is a time many would be envious of.

Sorry to hear about DNFs for Minni & PMJ. There will be better days.

For me, well, a rather mixed day...

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

So, I've run my first marathon, which gives me an automatic PB. Wouldn't say I raced it though.

Started a little far back, and got stuck in ridiculous congestion with barely room to move, never mind find the space to overtake the slower runners ahead of me (novice mistake, this). The problem was compounded by hitting the tarmac hard during mile 4; no idea if I was tripped, fell over my own feet or found a pot hole, but both knees and hands were now ripped up and my knees in particular became painful and stiff pretty much instantly. Even the 3:45 pacer was now up the road. So, a re-evaluation of the day's targets seemed in order, assuming my knees would let me finish at all. 3:15 was gone, 3:20 might be possible, but that was a long shot given the volume of runners blocking the road ahead. So I ran to a plan of picking up time gradually, hitting as even a pace as possible, and trying to work my way as far up the field as possible. 

I spent the rest of the race, so about 23 miles, overtaking people. My first 5k split was my slowest (26:16), my last 5k split my fastest (24:04 from 35-40k), with all the splits in between being in the 24:xx bracket. Halfway ticked round in 1:45:05, and I just wanted to get as far into the 3:2x numbers as possible. I ran a negative split of a couple of minutes, the 2nd half taking 1:42:31, to finish in 3:27:36. Not what I had initially set out for, but something salvaged from a potential disaster early in the race, so actually quite pleased with my effort on debut. I know there's more to come.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Over took 732 runners in the last 7.2k, and was overtaken by 11. The number of people just stopping in front of me was quite unbelievable. How there aren't more crashes, I'll never know! Aerobically I felt good most of the way, but I was managing my quads a bit in the last 3-4 miles. Possibly a product of having a slower race than planned.

Over the finish line, and into the St John's tent to get my hands and knees cleaned up. Felt OK at that point, but having met up with Mrs A and the Ms As, I then got stomach issues, so between that and my now stiff and painful knees, Chandos wasn't really on the cards. Quite annoyed to miss out on the celebrations there and meeting up with everyone, but there will be another time, I'm sure.

The hands and knees took a right beating; I've endured several days of bruising and swelling while the other marathon aches and pains didn't feel too bad after a couple of days. Annoyed that my fall put the end to certain plans and ambitions, but they remain for the next one.

A summer of cricket & a couple of 10ks awaits, before an autumn HM. Not sure which yet.

• great to hear from you Abbers! I was tracking you and all the other threadsters on the thread via virgin tracking! noticed you getting stronger as your estimated finishing time was coming down all the time! thought you would have had a problem when I saw you coming through half way in 1:45! main thing is you know you can do so much better than that and you have the fitness behind you now so should be easy to pop yourself in for a quieter race locally and do the business. really great debut time though! well done old chap! 

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Abbers - well done on completing your first marathon and overcoming such difficulties. As you say, a PB too. Hope your hands and knees ok. Put your feet up and enjoy your achievement.

Badbark - heroic training runs.

inniM - you're right. Typing a name in reverse is a right pain in the brain. I don't really like numbers following my name, but just for you!
  • literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Fishy - have you tried a full stop?

Abbers - that sounds pretty bloody good to me after the start you had, and as you say, very beatable next time.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

That's better Fishy.

Abbers - l was wondering what had happened to you. Well done on seeing it through, great efforts on your first attempt.

Badbark- dedicated training as always.

Ant- sorry to hear of your injury woes, but I don't understand why you think your efforts are poor. You're not exactly a nine stone whippet naturally built for marathon running, more suited to the back row of a scrum. But you don't do that do you, you give it your all in a marathon.

I remember Steve Cram commentating on James Cracknell for running a sub 3 and remarked what a fantastic effort that was for a big bloke. That's you!

• Abbers - Brilliant stuff! An early fall and you go on to do a 2-min negative split? I think you have underestimated your form by a good margin, making your next campaign one to watch. Many congratulations!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Abbers - I saw your result and guessed you'd got stuck at the start, well played for getting home and bagging your first marathon. VLM is dangerous, I had my heels clipped twice by folks swerving across the road, then there's all the bottle son the floor to dodge too !

CC's report was elsewhere and now Lit has a 4 page report that I must have missed, WTF was that one posted ?

madbark just about sums it up !

one self-enforced week of no running done, the trainers can come out again now.

• Moof - Thanks for those kind words - I have just found that my efforts in training, such as they are, have not led to the expected rewards in races in the last three years. I  have been "plagued" by injuries, it's true, but there is still something holding me back from doing myself what I perceive as justice again and again.

A good rest should see me right, I dare say. Now, where's that pizza?

• OK, well past dinner time so foot photos are allowed, is that right?

So my gout makes my big toe blow up and then I get foot that looks like below. This is last September and my right foot was bad.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-CBhYJGL0Yfw/UjNef6VDJvI/AAAAAAAAATw/rtFSGhHIgTI/s1024/IMG_0880%255B1%255D.JPG

Last week, my left foot looked like this, so problem on the other foot. Today my feet look like this:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-b52_Q_p6M9o/U1LfRec7gdI/AAAAAAAAA0o/p8So5eJTJ3s/s720/IMG_1272%255B1%255D.JPG

Clearly the swelling on the toe has gone but what is odd is that I can see then tendons in my right foot but not my left foot. I seemed to have tendons in September but now I have none.

Do other people have mismatched feet, where have my tendons gone, is the left foot still swollen or not? Any opinions gladly received, especially if they are backed by the over consumption of fermented carbohydrates.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Eeeurgh. Yes, still swollen (I've had two small glasses of wine, if that counts).

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Happy Easter everyone, scrambled eggs for me tomorrow.image

Abbers - Welcome back! I must admit that I cyber stalked you and saw that you looked scuffed around the knees etc. I think your time is very impressive given the fall you took and you were obviously in good shape to recover so well, but you were very unlucky! 3:27 with a tumble and all, bodes well for your next marathon. Really well done!

6.2 miles for me tonight @ 6:50 pace, I do like these type of runs and although it's not ground breaking but it seems very worthwhile and manageable in my current physical state. 

Lit - What's with the small glasses?

• Lorenzo, these are the current road running rules regarding distances - at least here the boys and girls are allowed to do the same:

(3) The maximum distances permitted in Open Competition for runners are as follows:
    Over 11 – Under 13 5000 metres
    Over 13 – Under 15 6000 metres
    Aged 15 years 10000 metres
    Aged 16 years 15000 metres
    Aged 17 years 25000 metres
    Over 18 – Under 20 Marathon
    Seniors Unlimited
    Masters Unlimited

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Popping to say Happy Easter - and well done to Jools. Cracking effort by Badbark, and (((Ant))).
    My weekend hasn't gone quite according to plan. Went out to do long run early on Friday morning and just after 6 miles tripped and fell. Cut my chin and knee, bruised a rib and gouged lots of skin off my right hand. Yuck. Lots of blood everywhere. Still had a nice time away, even though I had to give the swimming pool a miss. Just did the 21 miler - time on feet. 3:01:04. Cut-back week. Phew.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Ouch, sounds painful Gul. Well done on the 21 miler.

16 miles for me this morning to give 67 for the week which is a tad high at the moment but it did include two long runs this week due to laziness and a hangover last weekend.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

PMJ - yes, L foot looks swollen, and I thought the same after a small glass of wine last night.  My feet are mildly mismatched too but in a less gruesome and pathological way!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Abbers-Well done on making the finish after a fall , 3:27 is still a very decent time for a first one and that's what I ran last year and I didn't fall and  had nothing more left  at the end image On a big mara like London starting too far back is a disaster as you cant get a decent run.

Gul- well done for making the 21 after a fall.

Moof-nice 16 

Badbark- taking the ultra's training seriously alright image

52 miles for the week ,lowest this year , still far from 100% so another rest day and I've a 10 miler race this week coming, image

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

You did well in the circumstances Abbers, and as others have said, you now have a pb to knock down next tim (next time). Well toughed out.

One insight I gained at VMLM is that it is a tough ask to get a time around 3:10 to 3:30  mark. God knows what it is like around 4 hrs. I did a few miles at sub 2:45, nice and comfy, started my limp home and around 2:55 pace the roads are starting to fill. Then the sub 3 crowds come by including the pace buses, all seats taken and you start to see a lot of weaving, bumping, and grinding(?) I stopped for a few minutes after the sub 3ers, and came back on around about 3:10 pace - it was suddenly heaving. Coming off a bit later for around 3:20ish and its worse. Trying to play catch up in those crowds would be a nightmare.

Abbers done good, and has the scars to prove it.

Gul - ouch. Hope there is no damage

• Eeew, I'm just about to have Easter Sunday dinner and I think I've just lost my appetite. Manky feet! Mine actually look lovely in comparison and I find them quite repuslive enough. 

And what's with the falling over Abbers and Gul? Stay on your feet people. Falling over hurts. 

I quite fancy a run, but haven't brought any kit with me. Ah well. Will walk up to my friend's house and back later. All of about a mile in each direction. Wooo. 

• Looking to hit the sub 3.15 mark at the Neolithic Marathon in May, I am a Triathlete and have not done a stand alone marathon in almost 10 years.  I have a 1.35 half marathon time as a PB on a hilly course, with that as a benchmark is it realistic to look at sub 3.15?  What are peoples thoughts?

(Zakalwe-Outlaw) 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

+1 for not falling over. I still have a huge scar on my arm from the last time I did (2.5 years ago). Picking bits of gravel out of it post-run was not fun.

Everbarrett - that sounds like a bit of a stretch, to be honest, especially as the Neolithic is not likely to be the fastest course.