Ahens Authentic Marathon

Hiya, just wondering if anyone is doing this one this year?

Really tempted to go for it but would mean doing it all alone, would be great if I knew of some other people going or had some tips from anyone that's run it before.

Thanks image

Comments

• And that was meant to say Athens* whoops!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

A quotation from Wikipedia.   It does sound so historic and attractive!  I think I need another couple of marathons under my belt before I tackle this one.

It is perhaps one of the most difficult major marathon races: the course is uphill from the 10 km mark to the 31 km mark – the toughest uphill climb of any major marathon. The course begins in the town of Marathon, where it passes the tomb of the Athenian soldiers, and it traces a path near the coast through Nea Makri. Following the steep rise, the course goes lightly downhill towards the city of Athens. It passes a statue of a runner (Ο Δρομ??ας) in the city centre before finishing up at the Panathinaiko Stadium; a site for athletics competitions in ancient times and the finishing point for both the 1896 and 2004 Olympic marathons

• Hi lyl , just do it , I have done it for the last 2 years and doin it again this year , easyjet flights have just been released and cheap at the moment , it is very well organised and u have the wonderful hospitality of the greek people , the finish inside the stadium is quite emotional , the course is tough but the last 6 miles is downhill , I know athens quite well so can help with hotels etc , could say much more but that will give u something to think about , cheers martin
  • Pete HoltPete Holt ✭✭✭

uphill from10 km mark to the 31 km mark; OMG - "I'm out" image

• It's worth it pete just for the finish in the magnificent panathaneic stadium in the centre of athens , the 90 euro package includes a superb medal and t,shirt and also gives 5 days free travel on public transport in and around athens , cheers martin
  • 'Authentic' - does that mean running barefoot and semi naked? Do you have to deliver a message at the end?

• Hi Lyl, i'm also really tempted by Athens marathon this year but have been put off booking as id be going alone. I also am doing Loch ness marathon in September leaving 6 weeks in between. It just looks so amazing i dont think i can wait until 2015!

• hi there whippetsam ,flights are still reasonable at the moment easyjet ,aegean and ba ,the 90 euro marathon package is superb and gives 5 days free travel in athens , superb medal and t,shirt, the course is tough but worth it to run the historic course from the town of marathon and finish in the fantastic original olympic stadium in the centre of athens  , the hospitality of the greek people is wonderful , i cant wait to do it for the 3rd year , hotels in athens are reasonable and buses transport runners on the day of the race to the town of marathon , superbly organanised race ,cheers martin

• Hi again,

i've booked it! I thought id just go for it. It looks amazing theres no way i could have waited until next year. I just hope i keep injury free this time, especially with having Loch Ness 6 weeks before!

• That's great , me and my other half , she's just doin the 10k this year , fly out on the Friday and back on the Wednesday from Manchester , if u need any advice on hotels and best location to stop or anything else please ask , cheers martin