Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Catching up on the thread and loving this swimming talk! I'm an ex-competitive swimmer but love to go and do open water races. I'm also a swimming teacher and coach so happy to give any tips to anyone out there. The good thing is its easy to make a very big difference to your technique, and theres loads of good youtube videos that can help.
  • yer maj wrote (see)

2014 was officially The Year of The Calf Guards

I did not know that. I think I wore them in 2011 but to be honest, I can't perceive any difference during a race although I suspect they do help with recovery for the rest of the day after a mara. I'm not convinced that this fashion extends across other performance sports which makes me think it's all a bit faddy.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

TD - think vertical oscillation of the calf during an 18 mile + run. If the calf guard keeps them in place more and reduces bounce injury can be avoided, especially so for longer folks. They work for me, don't wear them in races though, prefer to have the breeze all over. Defo helps for post race / lsr recovery, that's for sure.

• I've been using calf guards on long runs for a few months and found them really beneficial.  No more sore calves and cramps.  TD, you run so quickly you don't need them    image

• Today's bulletin from Boston - I saw the mighty Hal Higdon (he of the training plans) at the Expo (but I was too mean to buy his book).

And also more varieties of calf guard than you could imagine. Really, how many different ways are there to encase your shins in Lycra?

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

I think you should confront Hal and voice our grievances. 

• RR - wow, all the best in Boston!  Have you run it before or will this be your first?  And just marathon distance......how very restrained of you image

Tink - Gawd your heart rate issue sounds like a right nightmare and must be a major  hindrance to your training.  I really hope the Dr's manage to get to the bottom of it for you.  Incredible that you are managing to run marathons with that going on, hats off to you.

A week today I'll be running Hannover marathon......but I've picked up a very annoying foot injury.  Pain along the outer edge of my left foot.  I've been icing it but I'm not sure if that's actually making it worse.  It emerged on a run after I had re-laced my trainers, is it possible to injure your foot from tying your laces too tightly??  I've a week to sort it out, all suggestions to resolve it would be gratefully received.

• OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Have a look at this

Seems like there is a tendon that can cause this problem and needs the usual treatment. Maybe changing the lacing on your shoes caused you to change the angle if your foot - or maybe the tendon was tired and it was caused by something else.

• That sounds like what Naomi has Picklelilly, and indeed it is a tendon problem. if it is it can be strapped, which is done right up the calf  - physio or podiatrist?? 

My legs actually feel not too bad today, although my feet are somewhat tender. Cancelled my planned cycle this morning due to lack of sleep. image Maybe get out tomorrow instead. 

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

If you have some time to spare, here is yesterday's Two Oceans Marathon.  Skip forward to 2:30:00 and you'll see why it's the most beautiful race in the world, and to about 3:30:00 to see why it is so difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhJQ3inxdyc

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

I was having twingy calfs with runs over 10km. Got some guards to see and got through barca, paris and london with no calf probs. They aren't expensive, come in cool colours and seem to help. I'm not going to over think it but will be trying lsrs on and off with them and also working on gait and strength.

• I wear calf guards for work image

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Are they red for royal mail?

• Pickleilly - yes, first time. It'll be nice to stop at 26.2 image.

I can't remember who posted pages back about plantar fasciitis, but whoever it was, remember to stretch and massage your calves. Tight calves can be the cause of problems in the feet. Have a good dig in the calf muscles and work on any knots you find.

• All the best for tomorrow Running Rodent x

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

So, for the 2 ultras I have coming up I intend on run/walking in a 9:1.5 ratio.  Average pace on the watch will be easy to follow, but lap pace will be difficult as it depends how much of the walk cycle gets into that lap.

I was thinking of setting the lap distance to 3 0r 5 miles.  The average pace will still be the same, but the lap pace will better reflect what's happening currently and allow me to catch up or slow down as needed.  

Any thoughts/advice from y'all?

Thanks

• Dannir I've never tried a walk/run strategy and with that ratio I guess you'll always be somewhat out of kilter but I'd expect the longer your lap the better a picture you'll have. Actually you might find it helps in more ways than one as you might find yourself less focused on it?

Calf guard enthusiasts - my calves always end up really tight as do my IT bands. I've tried running in compression socks but didn't feel like the did anything at all other than annoy me. Do you think calf guards would be any different?

• Danni - I don't know much about run-walking, but what happens if your run section coincides with a steep uphill stretch? Would you just walk it, then restart the 9/1.5 from the top?

Good luck RR

Picklelily - I had bother last year on the top of my left foot, caused either by too tight laces or too small socks. I suspect it was the socks as they were new ones I was trying.

Run With The Wind - I keep thinking about having lessons.

I love Amsterdam. Done it twice now. I really like the river section - fresh air, countryside, rowers on the river.

Anyway...2am. Up the wooden hill to Bedfordshire...

Apr 21: Boston Marathon - Running Rodent. Paris ballot entry closes.
    Apr 22: Paris ballot draw.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday.
    Apr 24: Audrey's birthday.
    Apr 27: Goudhurst 10k - Natty. Great Edinburgh Run - Eggy, Helterskelter. Hanover Marathon - Picklelily. Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Marathon d'Azay Le Rideau - Elizabeth Ellis, Tartan Pimpernel. Marseilles Half - ATM. Plymouth Half - Heroine, Jimbob, Keyser Suze. Stratford Marathon/Half - Wrexham Rob.
    Apr 28: Maxs Mum's 50th birthday.
    May 3: Deadline for paying for Paris ballot places.
    May 4: North Lincolnshire Half - Leggy Mountbatten. Strolling Jim 41-miler - Danni. Sunderland 10k - Iain M.
    May 5: Bluebell Trail 10 - Dirty Leeds Rob.
    May 10: Rat Race Dirty Weekend - Roger Reid.
    May 11: Beverley 10k - Leggy Mountbatten. Bristol 10k - Matty Warr. Glasgow Women's 10k - ATM. Leeds Half - Andy W. Oxford 10k - O Rapid Run. Port Sunlight 10k - Orbutt.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon MacPerky's birthday.
    May 18: Aberdeen 10k - Simon MacPerky. Blenheim 7k - O Rapid Run. Brussels 20k - Yer Maj. North Norfolk Half - Keyser Suze. Paris-St Germain 20k - PC, Tartan Pimpernel. St Anne's Tri - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    May 22: Apperley Bridge 10k - Andy W.
    May 23: Suzy L's birthday.
    May 25: Edinburgh Marathon - Steve Ayling. Liverpool Rock 'n' Roll Marathon - Orbutt, Wrexham Rob. London 10K -Jimbob, Matty Warr, Natty, O Rapid Run, Radar Sal, Uncus Christus. Ox Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    May 29 Troi Rocs - One Tit, Tartan Pimpernel.
    May 31: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Emmy, Jimbob, Yer Maj. Stockholm Marathon - Pottermoss.
    Jun 1: Comrades - Danni, Running Rodent. Regents Park 10k - Jellybum.
    Jun 7: Bedgebury 10k - Natty.
    Jun 8: Mersey Tunnel 10k - Orbutt.
    Jun 9: Blaydon Race - Iain, OO51.
    Jun 11: Portumna Half - ATM.
    Jun 14: Tough Mudder: Helterskelter, Scott.
    Jun 15: Hoy Half - Kaz.
    Jun 21-22: Hadrian's Wall - Kaz, Roger Reid, Weedy. Trail Marathon Wales - Tartan Pimpernel.
    Jun 22: Freckleton Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Hackney Half - Jimbob.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jun 28: Giant's Head Marathon - Dirty Leeds Rob, Emmy, Keyser Suze, Maxs Mum, Radar Sal, Suzy L, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Jul 5: Corrieyarick Duathlon - Uisge Jo.
    Jul 10: Running Rodent's birthday. Steve Ayling's birthday.
    Jul 11-13: Coast-to-Coast Crossing - Roger Reid.
    Jul 13: Lytham Half - Kirsten Lancs Lass. Surrey Badger Half - Natty. Tenby Marathon - Mrs Bruffy.
    Jul 19: Loch Lomond Tri - ATM, Helterskelter, Scott W, Simon MacPerky.
    Jul 20: Leeds 10k - Andy W.
    Jul 20: Wohlf's birthday. Northumberland Coastal Run - Iain M.
    Jul 27: Wimbledon Common Half - Yer Maj.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Jul 30: Tinkerbel's birthday.
    Aug 2: Devil O' The Highlands - Kaz, Weedy. Round the Rock Ultra - Princess Fiona. Virgin London Tri - Wiola.
    Aug 18: Andy W's birthday.
    Aug 16: Coll Half - Eggy.
    Aug 23: Craggy Island Tri - Simon MacPerky.
    Aug 23-24: Hood to Coast Challenge -Danni.
    Sep 7: Cheltenham Half - O Rapid Run. Great North Run - Andy W, Steve Ayling.
    Sep 8: Elizabeth's birthday.
    Sep 13-14: Scotland Coast-to-Coast - Roger Reid.<b

• ...Sep 14: Cologne Half - Iain. Purbeck Marathon - Maxs Mum.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 21: Richmond Half - NGUG. Warrington Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 26: NGUG's birthday.
    Sep 28: Berlin Marathon - Whaqatac. Ealing Half - Jimbob. Loch Ness Marathon/10k/5k - Audrey, Eggy, Helterskelter, Jokeybhoy, Kaz, Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze, Running Rodent, Scott the Walker, Simon MacPerky, Suzy L, Tartan Pimpernel, Uisge Jo, Weedy. Paris 10k - ATM.
    Oct 4: Albuturkey trip: Eggy, Danni, Dark Vader, Iain, Tricky Dicky, Tinkerbel, Yer Maj.
    Oct 5: Blenheim Half - O Rapid Run, Roundman. Bournemouth Marathon - Run With The Wind. Cardiff Half - Defender Jo, Defender Ken. Chester Marathon - Defender Jo, Defender Ken, Kirsten Lancs Lass, Wrexham Rob.
    Oct 6: 1T's birthday.
    Oct 12: PF's birthday. Yorkshire Marathon - Andy W.
    Oct 13: Rach M in Aus's birthday.
    Oct 19: Abingdon Marathon - Chownsie, Jimbob, O Rapid Run, Stuchbury. Amsterdam Marathon - KO, Lloyd R, NGUG, Spitfire. Denver Marathon: Orbutt. Duke City Marathon - Tinkerbel, Tricky Dicky. Great Birmingham Run - Leggy Mountbatten.
    Oct 26: Bois de Vincennes Half - ATM. Great South Run - Steve Ayling. Marseilles-Cassis 20k - One Tit. Toulouse Marathon - Elizabeth E.
    Oct  28: Stort 30 - Emmy.
    Nov 2: Droitwich Half - Roundman. Leeds Rob's birthday. New York Marathon - Danni.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 8-9: Enigma Fireworks Double - Emmy, Weedy.
    Nov 9: Lytham 10k - Kirsten Lancs Lass.
    Nov 11: Valencia Marathon - Will Run For Food.
    Nov 23: Norwich Half - Keyser Suze, Mr Keyser Suze.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Dec 1: James B's birthday.
    Dec 27: Wiola's birthday.
    Dec 31: TD's birthday.
    Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Aaron's birthday, Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 19: DV's birthday.
    Jan 29: Kaz's ginormous dog's birthday.
    Feb 3: Tartan Pimpernel's birthday.
    Feb 5-8: Quadzilla - Emmy, Weedy.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 28: Iain M's birthday.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 8: Jus T's birthday.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 12: Brighton Marathon - Lloyd R. Paris Marathon - Doug MacRay, Claire Keesey, Jem Coughlin.

• Best of luck RR, run strong and enjoy it!

• Radar SalRadar Sal ✭✭✭

Helterskelter - I find the guards way more comfortable than socks. Don't want my feet and ankles restricted and feet don't get hot.

• we're all very bold today, Weedy have you broken it ?

ps could you add in for me 13-15 Mar 15 Balmoral training weekend with Dr Andrew Murray, no tennis only running image

• Good luck to Runing Rodent today. Hope they don't confiscate your T-bags in a fit of fiscal pique.

I need to confess. It's been a week since I last ran. Am working solidly on doing up my house for a spring sale. Big workouts with floor sanding machines but no actual running. Shame, the weather is lovely here right now. Happy Easter Monday everyone.

• Happy Easter Monday.

Mountain biking for me today. 

• Thanks everyone - should be quite a day.

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Bon chance RR - hope you have an enjoyable marathon

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Weedy - If I walk at any other time I'll just let the timer keep running and slot back into the run when I decide that walk is over.    Every program I have seen for Comrades (and I assume many or all other ultras too?) include walking.  Some for the hills, and some for hills and other times too.  A planned walk has many advantages - and the most successful Comrades programs (including their official ones) say that if you are not walking in the first hour you've made a grave mistake.

• Best of luck RR - look forward to hearing all about it image

Meanwhile, many thanks Orbutt and others for info on potential foot problem.  My money is on it being the peroneal tendon, so that means no running before next Sunday's marathon.......boooooo!  Cross training on the bike will have to do.  Gotta burn the Easter calories somehow eh?! image

• Picklelilly, if it is the peroneal tendon, I had problems with mine last year, I found rolling the lower calf (where the tendon joins it) really helped, might be worth a try.