Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Page 15 of the Observer shows the Purple Fairy getting in on the picture yet again

• Everbarrett, I have to agree with Lit I'm afraid. I convert really well, but my 3.14.59 a few years ago at London followed in the wake of a hilly 1.30.09 half. I'm not familiar with the Neolithic marathon, but I'm guessing it's not a flat and fast PB favourable road course. What sort of time do you run the marathon at the end of an Ironman? What you really will have in your favour is the endurance. 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

For an off roader without massive hills but with a few short navigation stops I would expect to add 20-30 min to a flat road mara time.  That's not to say you can't do a fast one at the Neolithic but it's hard to imagine it being an inherently fast course. Good luck.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Speedy - great name check on MT.  image Are you planning another marathon this year or will the next one be VLM 2015?

BB - I missed your amazing double yesterday.  Awesome.

From my run yesterday.

/members/images/46278/Gallery/photo_0.JPG

• birderbirder ✭✭✭

Swoops in from his lurking perch!

Firstly, a massive well done to all who achieved their targets at this year's VLM and commiserations to those that didn't.

After posting 3.03 at Manchester last year I had high hopes for this year until I was struck down by a mystery virus in November that kept me from training until mid January! Against all reason I crammed as much mileage as I could into February and March and got to the start line feeling very apprehensive. I was more than pleased to finish in a time of 3 hours 17 mins exactly.

If any other runners finished just ahead of this time there is some shaky video footage of my last mile and a full report on my blog:

http://keithscovell.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/virgin-london-marathon-2014.html

• Points very much taken, it is not a flat fast course (although hills play to a certain strength), the Ironman marathon time sits between 3.50 and 4.15 depending on conditions.  The 20 mins additional to a pure road marathon course is a good point that I had not taken into consideration.  I think it will be a case of setting that time as a goal but not giving myself an overly hard time if I fall off the pace slightly. Cheers for the help guys and girls.

• marrowsmarrows ✭✭✭

everbarrett, do you have running race times from other distances to go on?

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Slokey Joe - How was your Ulverston Tri? Hope the hip held out. If I'd looked really hard across Morecambe Bay, I might have been able to spectate!

PMJ - Feet! Please don't post any more pics - hope your tendons re-appear soon.

Minni - Lovely running route and pic. Glad to hear your hip is on the mend.

Gul - Hope you're falling injuries are nicely on the mend.
  • I've had an email this evening confirming my free elite place for the Chester Marathon. image

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Speedy - Ahh... the perks of being an elite athlete!

Everbrett - What was your marathon time 10 years ago? And was this from pure marathon training or tri training? I train like a triathlete (for knee preservation), but only really compete in running events. My marathon pb of 3:05 is off a half of 1:24, so double + 17 minutes. Not a brilliant conversion and down to the fact that I don't do enough running miles. Not sure whether that is helpful to your cause or not.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

5 live tonight - former Boston mara champ and RW editor Amby Burfoot on the build up to the race. Should be sometime after 2300. Sounds like an extraordinary atmosphere over there.

• CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)

I've had an email this evening confirming my free elite place for the Chester Marathon. image

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice one Speedy!
  • SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Nice one indeed Speedy! 

The tri was good fun Fishy. Pool swim (400m) a rather sloppy T1 and then an out and back whizz down the lumpy coast road on the back (28k?) with a lovely tailwind on the way out (I hit 30mph!) but obviously had a brutal headwind on the way back in. T2 was better followed by a 5.8k run with mile splits coming in averaging around the 6:30 mm mark, with each mile getting quicker which was pleasing. Not sure on actual finish time or placing yet due to wave starts. Hip was fine during the race but has been stiff and painful this evening which is a bit depressing. I think that will be my last race until Outlaw in July to minimise the chance of a DNS (other than the Fred Whitton).

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one Speedy, nice wet'n'dry race SJ, nice scenery Minni

At work and talking to various people in Boston tonight including a former champion, made me wish I'd gone.  London is good but Boston has the heritage, like playing cricket at Lords or golf at St Andrews; really significant tomorrow in lots of ways that we will all understand.

/members/images/76130/Gallery/20140421_025807_resized.jpg

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Moof - nice mileage.
    Leslie - hope a bit more rest does the trick before your 10 mile race.
    Minni - lovely scenery!
    Speedy - nice one!
    SJ - good racing - hope the hip is better today.
    Only did a couple of miles this morning as my left hamstring is feeling a bit tight. May as well make the most of my cut-back week.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Poacher - Like the look of that medal. I hope that the live stream on the website works.

Slokey - Nice work at Ulverston. Wise decision re your hip, but at least it's one of those pains/injuries that only hurts after an event.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice one BB re the live stream. I have a work colleague over there with his wife and four kids, she is attempting a sub 3:10. Sounds like one hell of a great weekend with the mile race and 5k and then the marathon today. I am really hoping Ryan Hall goes well, he has had a bad run of injuries and is a super runner when when on form.

• Call me a cheapskate, but how do you save the enlarged pics on the MarathonFoto VLM site? I did it a couple of years ago, but I can't remember how.

Poacher - Nice medal. It should be - it cost enough...

I promise never, ever to post any pics of my feet on here ever again. Please can everyone make the same pledge?

• Never have and never will! At least, not without some form of footwear on. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Ant - print screen then paste into MS Paint, then crop. Not that I've ever done that.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've got a photo of my septic toe I had a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday I pulled the nail off. image

• My big toe nail has half grown back - am I allowed to post half a photo?

Lit - not that you've tried it, but do you know anyone who managed to remove the word "Proof" that's plastered across the photo?

I don't know whether it's a delayed reaction from last weekend, but I'm feeling really run down at the moment - generally lethargic and a bit like a very mild form of flu. No running for the last couple of days as a result, but at least I wasn't like this last weekend.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - if its a moving 'Proof' then you have to make sure you screen shot just at the right time.  Not that I've done it.

• Anyone any idea what time the ballot for VLM 2015 opens tomorrow morning?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - usually midnight, isn't it?

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Well, it's certainly open now - just entered. Off out for an easy 8 miler.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

A bit quiet on here. Finished a little while ago. 8 slow miles. 2 herons spotted. image 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    GFA entries to London look like the same times as last year. entry starts June. Good luck to those going via the ballot.