RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Morning guys. Happy Easter!

Been away in Edinburgh for a few days. Bloody cold and windy!! I'm used to the tropical southimage

Really excited about Boston tomorrow with our team being represented. Good luck to DD, Chick and 2old. Hope you all got there safely.

No running, cycling or swimming to report here I'm afraid. Just copious amounts of booze drank image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Quick check-in from me . Bit of va nightmare as we lost the pouch that contained all our chargers image

Simon, bless him, is still trying to get it back for us. I have pretty much written it off though. So Our phones were out of juice for a while and we needed to run around and buy new cables. Thought this was the chance to go and get a fancy new Garmin but the new models are a bit too gimmicky for me so I only got a charging clip....

Anyway, suffering from the worst ever jetlag which means I only sleep 2or3 hours per night and feel like a zombie.... Boston is brilliant though. Very beautiful and we did wayyy too much running around. I kind of messed up the carb loading as well.

Right now I'm 99% for fun running tomorrow because the atmosphere is soo incredible that I have a feeling I'll miss out on the best experience of my life by gong out hard and dying at mile 16 or earlier image

We shall see. Hope to meet Dd & 2old today image
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    DD- are you here yet?

Only one more day!

Brunch ice hockey and Italian planned for today.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

It all sounds very exciting in Boston.  If you meet up post a photo!

Chick - hope the jetlag passes.

DD - hope you got there and you were cutting it a bit fine with your shoes!

2Old - have you got the whole family out supporting?

Col - great report and you must be thrilled with that time.

Daren - I think you should follow the plan, just to keep the training building nicely, but change things around a bit to allow for the club stuff you want to do. The P&D has served many people well - I know a lot of the sub 3:15 (now mostly sub 3) thread follow it.  What you really need to be careful of is peaking too early and the structure of the schedule will make sure that doesn't happen.

Carrot - I loved the relays!  Like you I had the glory leg and also like you ran as fast as I possible could, but I think you were a few seconds faster.  It was so exciting and definitely worth the DNF in London for. The bottle of cold beer at the end as the icing on the cake. image 

Nell - I have an athlete coming up to stay the night before and  I will be bringing him up to the start and then driving to Musselburgh to support there and hope to catch the runners in a couple of places.   This is a sub 2:30 runner so I best not get caught up in traffic!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    DD is here.

Agree with Chick the atmosphere is incredible and it seems a shame to not just forget about times and enjoy the whole experience instead .Weather looking good for tomorrow -not too warm and a tail wind.

Back still a problem but hoping putting my number on will numb that pain.

Minni- Mrs2O and Miss2O are here.they are taking advantage of the favourable exchange rate.
  • Chick - At least it was n't your running shoes you lost.

Col -  Good report, and very well done for keeping it strong at the end, so easy to slip into those 8:xx and 3:15 to disappear(been there)

Col/Carot -  Neolithic marathon 4 May, xc from Avebury to Stonehenge no target just going to try and enjoy.

Minni -  are you going to name drop, sub 2:30 got to be a top 10 finish.

2old - Good plan with the Italian, got to be the meal of choice for most before a mara.

O4S -  Enjoy your self bought egg, I think Pink will be buying for herself next year not too happy with my choice, where are you racing Thursday?

Swimming practice this morning, nice way to ease the legs after yesterdays long one.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Col - great to hear your thoughts on VLM - what a fast first half!  Looks like you may be in about 3.10 shape if you paced more evenly?  Do you have another marathon planned?

Hope the op all went well Redwood?  I'm sure simon and oompa can help with advice on getting back after surgery

Nell - I'm not there anymore, but am quite often up there and love to race in scotland when I can - the only problem is the standard is so much higher and I always get beaten by loads of people! (which I don't like, hence my strategy of only entering small races... image)

Sounds like you are ready to go for it 2old - have a great run, hope the niggles stay away.  Chick, DD - have a great race too, look forward to hearing all about it.

Lots of heavy lifting and digging over the last few days has made my hammys super tight - so decided against parkrun and have also binned my 10k tomorrow.  Instead I've done a couple of slow trail runs with BH which are much more what my poor legs and tight hamstrings need.

Been working out training plans and race schedules to lead me up to the next marathon on Aug 23, and the one after that on Oct 25.  Must do long runs!  Remembered I've got a half IM in 6 weeks so I'd better do some swimming image.  

• Daren there's plenty of folks who have had success with P&D, smashing chunks off their PBs, there's even a thread dedicated to it with loyal P&Ders churning out the miles.  I'm in the same line of thinking as you though - I like my weekly track session with the club.  The taper does seem a bit high on mileage too.  But then look at the success you had with HADD - lots of miles, zero interval training!

Chick sometimes the best performances come along when we take the pressure off, when we least expect them.  And sometimes the best race experiences are the ones where we enjoy running for what it is, rather than worrying about finish times. Definitely enjoy a fun run tomorrow, it might help with the nerves. 

Minni I'm so pleased you enjoyed the relays!  They're great fun (apart from the 14 minutes or so of torture, and even that is fun in a twisted kind of way) I know you can't do the Neptune relays on Wednesday night but there's another Wednesday night relay race next month at Consett (Blackhill Bounders organising) There's also a chance our club will be hosting our relays again over the summer. 

2old conditions sound great for tomorrow, enjoy the Italian, hope the back cooperates.

You just need to stick to those training plans now kfc! Enjoy getting back into the pool.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI Daren/Minni, From what I remember and has LT and VO2 Max sessions usually on a Tuesday. The problem is I have found with these plans is that they often say not to stray from the plan for the best results. Not sure what others have experienced? The main one I have heard is people adding more 20 mile LSR's to the plan. These I have heard have also peaked too soon. I am no expert on this, just an observation image

Hi Minni, The HM is before the Marathon as you probably know, just something to bear in mind when parking. Hopefully by the time you make your way back to Musselburgh the HM guys will be departing.

Hi kfc, I know what you mean there are a lot of good runners about, but they are all mainly friendly. The small races I enjoy more so to be honest. The Haddington HM is a nice one in August. Lovely spread at the end image

Hi 2old,DD, Chick....good luck tomorrow!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Went out with a pal for my LSR this morning, he is running Edinburgh and aiming for 3:40, I thought it was 3:30. He had a terrible time on his marathon last year and had to pull out at mile 13. This year he is playing it cautiously. He was aiming for 18 miles at 8:30mm, so I went with that with the idea to put a couple on at the end. All went well up until mile 16, hitting just under 8:30 and then it is 4 miles uphill, which unfortunately he struggled with and kept telling me to carry on. I stayed with him as I would feel pretty crap just pegging it off. Left him on mile 19 and then got in a couple of faster miles before I got home. I enjoyed the run even though it was slower than usual, the company was good and I ended up running 21 miles at an average 8:30...it was a lovely morning for the run also and  we had a good natter image

• Just meeting up with Chick and 20ld. Hopefully
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nell - I've done Haddington before and really liked it. What date is it this year?

I agree with KFC in that there are some top runners North of the Border, especially in my age group. I rarely get a prize if I venture North.image

Boston trio - feed us information please!!! Following you tomorrow will make painting the bedroom more exciting!
  • Minni - Hopefully the trio will be carb loading.  Elite Men's race starts at 10am, and they're 5hrs behind us , so 3pm here, so I expect the trio will start sometime after that. I'm in work again tomorrow, so I doubt if I'll be able to stalk, so keep me upto date pleaseimage.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Enjoyed meeting DD and Chick earlier. Now to bed 

• /members/images/479221/Gallery/Team_Minni_Boston.jpg

Team Minni in pre race mode. Chick didn't say if this was pre or post clubbing photo image

• Great pic of our Bostonites.image

Good luck once again.

• Just a quick check in to wish the Boston crew the best of luck. Go guys and gals! I've been drinking by the seaside over Easter but have at least managed the one run since vlm!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Very excited now. Waiting for breakfast and then off to the bus to the start area out in the sticks in a traditional New England town called Hopkinton. Leaving phone behind so that's it from me. Good luck to DD and Chick
  • PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Congratulations on the GNR place Minni

Great pic of the Boston Trio - have a great Marathon

Went swimming yesterday morning with Barry who is swimming a lot better so I don't think it will be too long before he's invited to come along to the Friday session.

I was up & out for early morning swimming training today. It was a racing session, hard but I was still smiling at the end of it. Will be running as well today a 5 miler later on.

Hope you all have a great bank holiday

• great photo guys, feeling so excited for you three!! good luck, soak up the atmosphere + have a great race image

hope everyone else is enjoying Easter image

• Good luck again to the Boston trio!

Thanks for the comments on P&D Minni, Carrot & Nell - I think I will use the plan as a base so I've got a progression in my training, but tweak it if need be then. Nell, I think the version of the schedule I looked at has three 20s, a 21 and a 22, which I think should be enough, as I've been running at least one 20 a month for the last 6 months.

Did one of them yesterday. First 5 were at 8:55mm around the local woods (saw a buzzard being mobbed by two crows literally 10 feet above my head, which added a bit of excitement!). The next ten were @ 7:58mm, then the last 5 @ 7:19mm. I think P&D recommend this sort of progressive approach to long runs. The last 5 felt quite tough, but coming at the end of a 58-mile week (my 2nd highest ever) and running before breakfast, with no fuel on the run either, I was quite pleased with how 'normal' these 20-milers are starting to feel. Overall average pace was 8:02mm.

• Nice photo and good luck to the Chick/DD/2old.

Nell - Nice long run.

Usual weekly 6 miles with middle 4 quick for me this morning, splits for quick 6:29,6:39,6:43,6:36. Can't see me being able to hold that pace for 13 miles so looking at 6:50's or slower for Sunday.

• For the Boston stalkers...the nbrs are DD 15349..Chick 13636..2old 7976..Place your betsimage

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Thanks Simon - stalking set up and ready to go!

Daren - very nice 20

• Thanks Simon,  another all set up and ready to stalkimage Quite excited to see a map of Boston, as part of the tracking service. Now just hoping my old laptop doesn't overheat as I don't normally leave it switched on for long periods of time!

• Kiwi - Just make sure it's not on your lap, otherwise you may get a burning sensation in your quadsimage.

• Lol Simon, no it is inside on the lounge floor, whilst I'm sitting in the garden finishing the last of the marking before school starts tomorrow, shall be popping in and out for updates image

• Kiwi - I'm still at work all day, so 5k reports will be great image

• Ok, will try to keep you updated, hope the tracking doesn't crash!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

I've picked up 2old - he's through 5k at a fair lick, and very excitingly he's now showing on the boston map as a little running stickman.  Not got anything for chick or DD yet, hopefully will kick in once they get through 5k