Monday 21st April 2014

Morning.

Lyrics - When you come across the guy who thinks he's boss

Go chickadee - enjoy the day!

Safe journey home Gobi.

Grey start to the day here but forecast to brighten up. Hope so as I need more bike time and tomorrow looks very much like a turbo day according to the forecast.

What:                bike
Why:                 I'm supposed to be a triathlete
Last hard:         13/4
Last rest:          12/4

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Morning LMH

Good luck chick will be watching out for you.anyone know the start time?

What: something gentle

Why: taper and was feeling a little worse for wear yesterday after a night out with visitors

Last hard: all of yesterday!

Lyrics: nope

Have a good day all
  • Morning

Yesterdays lyrics were: 'I still haven't found what I'm looking for ' by U2 from 1987.

Cold and dry start to Easter Monday up here

What:45mins steadily done

Why: Habit

Lyrics: Not sure.

Chick: All the very best for today.

• Morning

What 10ish

Why been awhile

Lyrics no

Go Chick Go!

Nice morning though a bit foggy in parts. Just wanted some miles back in the legs.

Have a good day peeps.

• Thick haa here but forecast to lift later

What: kayak with Elspeth, ? short run, swimming lesson
    Why: don't fancy long run today and on target for 100 this month
    Last hard: yesterday's 10k
    Last rest: Friday

Anyone know Chickadee's number?

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Morning all, 

Meant to be recovery swim today but buses are not running image. Not sure I can bring myself to do bike and run .. legs feel tired. I may make this my rest day for the week. If not I will do later.

Go CHICK!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all
    what - 4/5 miles easy
    why - recovery + more garden related tidying to do
    last rest - 16 days
    last hard -yesterday
    lyric - don't think so

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I was going to ask about the number too. I think it's 13636...
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: 9k off road, first 5k easy, then pushed on a bit next 4k.
    Why: ran to feel

Currently 6:56 a.m. in Boston!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭
    8.5 miles including 20 x 1 min fast 1 min recovery walk. Good today although legs feeling it from the fast 8 miler yesterday. Very hot and sunny yet again which means I am very red and freckled!

Wee question for the doctors on this thread. Is it possible that enalapril and amlodopine blood pressure meds could affect running pace/effort in any way?

Lyrics, nope.
  • Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Arvo

Rest day for me.. well actually Pizza and beer just now.. so very much a rest day!!

Don- OH is defo more qualified than me, but I will give you my 2 cents (because I can!!)

The two you have mentioned are the first line treatment of hypertension in athletes (ACE inhibitor and Calcium channel blocker respectively). This is because they don't have a direct effect on energy metabolism per se.

However, having said that, I think they would have SOME effect on exercise tolerance (to what extent is debate-able and depending on dose etc). Both of the medications (by different mechanisms) reduce blood pressure by relaxing smooth muscle/ vaso-dilating. Considering exercise relies on increasing blood pressure and vaso-constriction to increase oxygen delivery to muscles that are aerobically respiring, I reckon its not implausible to suggest it could have an effect.

The hypertension medications to stay away from in exercise is defo the beta blocker or water tablets.. those muck up electrolytes and ability to metabolize.

Have you noticed a change??

• If Pizza and beer is a "rest day", what makes a "hard day" image and does it involve hard liquor?

Don - I think Dibs has summed thing up nicely there - to sum it up further, if you have to be on antihypertensives they're the ones to be on.

5.6 nm in kayak so far - the ha (sea mist) and a NE wind has certainly brought the temperature down today. Not inclined to go for a run this afternoon. Some chores to do whatever.

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Thanks Dibs and OH - that's really useful to know.  I've been on those meds since 2008 and I'll be on them forever, so the answer was never going to change that!  I don't use my heart rate monitor a lot but I used it today for my speed session and I noticed that my max heart rate of 156 was a fair bit lower than it used to be and I still feel I am putting in a lot of effort - I was running at an average of 5:15 pace for my 1 minute sections.  I maybe need to do some longer reps to get a better picture.

So I haven't noticed much of a change - I was just wondering if there might be limits on my racing speed due to the meds.  I find the whole thing very interesting - thanks again for your replies! image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Go Chick... you can do it....

Happy here..... back to full training I believe.... 18.77m in 2:59:29 (slow) off road following the Test way (3 1/2 relay legs).... Missed the train with mates so rude not to go to the pub next door..... What Bank Holidays are for....

Take care

• mavamava ✭✭✭

Hi all.  Was just following Boston on Twitter.  Great result for the USofA in the men's race. 

Yesterday I did 5 at just slower than 10 m/m pace. Didn't feel too bad.   Today...

What: 10 very very slooooow miles, but as it was on one of my hillier routes that is to be expected (specially as the sun came out and I am NOT a runner who likes heat)
    Why: meant to be LSR

Hope Chick is having a good day over there in Boston. 

Byee all

• don: Good session today mate

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Will be interesting to see what Chick thought of today: whilst she didn't get what she trained for I hope she had a great time. Look forward to the report...well toughed out Chick! We are all proud of you!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Well done Chick, hope you soaked up the atmosphere and enjoyed yourself.  Can't wait for the report.

• Dibs3690Dibs3690 ✭✭✭

Come on chick!! it's killing me image. Hope you are enjoying the aftermath, the atmosphere on tele looked AMAZING! 

• Just got up to see the Boston results! Just wished I could have watched it live!

Chickadee - that looked tough, but hope you did enjoy yourself. What about the women's screams through Wellesley!! Deafening!!

RFJ - great long run there.

What: 6km flat.

• Marathons eh? You never know what you're going to get until the day. As others have said chickadee I hope that you had a great day even if the time wasn't what you'd trained for.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Well done Chickadee imageimageimage

Well sun came out and I couldn't resist a lap of Scapa (3 miles) after my token gardening. Followed on by swim improvers lesson this evening.

• Another dreadful finishing image!

/members/images/456406/Gallery/10246286_714718321913283_2164989416409719008_n.jpg

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, this was probably the hardest but also most rewarding thing I've ever done. Boiling hot and I'm quite sunburnt. Completely underestimated now tough the course is so switched to fun running pretty early on only it wasn't that much fun in the end. Temps were in the 70s and too hot for me but the crowds were the most amazing I've ever experienced. Glad I finished though. Quads are fried and my back isn't talking to me right now but it held up. Phew. Now I need to lie down for a bit coz I got a bit of heat stroke and had the medics worried for a bit but I'm fine(I think).

Boston is amazing, especially after last year's events. The vibe is incredible and I glad I partied with the crowds even though it meant I had to adopt a run/walk strategy later in the race but everyone around me seemed to struggle.

Boston strong I say!! There's always another marathon for a fast time, especially one that doesn't involve time zone travel because I have not managed to sleep more than 2or 3 hours each night image
  • Chickadee - it's always hard not knowing what a course/race is going to be like. The weather you cannot control, and if I'm running it is usually hot! I don't handle the heat well either.

It's always hard travelling from this side of the world too - you just have to deal with what you get. 

Well battled - how did you find the hills?