RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Its exciting!

Minni/AA Enjoy your drinks.  I can't face any after having wine & champers yesterday - it was hard facing the pool this am!

Yeahhhh well done 2old

• Well done 2old! Go Chick and D.D image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

And they've all finished!  Well done to the Boston Trio.  I bet it was an awesome day and can't wait to hear all about it.  Well done to the three of you.  Now for a celebratory drink - and you can have one too if you feel up to it....! image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

I couldn't take the tension so i went out for a walk... image   Well done guys - looking forward to hearing all about your day out in Boston.

• well done guys, now go enjoy something alcoholic, looking forward to the race reports image

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Well done our Boston three - have a well deserved drink

• Advice required please!

Last week I went to the running shop which I've trusted for the 5 years or so since I started running again. Did a gait analysis to see whether I'm still a pronator since the operations and said that i am, so tried a few shoes including my tried & trusted Adrenalines. Hated the others but they only had last years Adrenalines, so they suggested I try a few other shoes that they don't stock (Nike, Adidas & Mizuno), as I feel I need as much cushioning as possible, without feeling "clumpy".

So, went to Brighton today with friends and took the opportunity to visit Sweatshop, who wouldn't letmore try what I wanted until 

• ... until I'd had another gait analysis (despite my protestations)! 

Duly did this and was subsequently told (and shown) that I supinate with my right foot and ever so slightly pronate with my left (but occasionally)! Bang goes many pairs of support shoes.image I'm now thinking that this may have contributed to my (many) injuries???image

The girls there seemed very thorough and knowledgable and even told me not to buy any new shoes today as I must have looked a bit shell-shocked, so obviously weren't just trying to flog me a certain shoe. 

Does anyone have any views on Sweatshop, with regards to their prowess in advising the correct shoe type? 

I (maybe incorrectly) dismissed them as a bit of a franchised "name"!

As always, your knowledge and advice would be most welcome.

Confused of Loompa Land

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, this was probably the hardest but also most rewarding thing I've ever done. Boiling hot and I'm quite sunburnt. Completely underestimated now tough the course is so switched to fun running pretty early on only it wasn't that much fun in the end. Temps were in the 70s and too hot for me but the crowds were the most amazing I've ever experienced. Glad I finished though. Quads are fried and my back isn't taking to me right now but it held up. Phew. Now I need tolie down for a bit coz I got a bit of heat stroke and had the medics worried for a bit but I'm fine(I think). image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've only once bought shoes there when I had vouchers to spend and they were off road so don't really count.  Therefore I cannot comment personally but a friend of mine had an issue when they sold her support shoes even though she wears othortics, which need a neutral shoe.  She didn't know this at the time and if fact I think it was Freemers who told her when she joined us for a run here.  I couldn't/wouldn't form a judgement on that alone though.

I visited the Saucony stand at the Expo and spoke to them about my road shoes as I have support ones but wonder if I should change with my hip issues.  The guy there recommended neutral shoes and he said more and more people are wearing them now. He also said wearing my old road (support) shoes off road is a mistake as the ground isn't even and this can cause problems.

Its always hard to know though.

• Ah chick I'm absolutely delighted for you. Well done. Hope you're ok in a bit (())

oomps - sweatshop in reading have a good reputation for gait analysis and knowledge on trainers. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

X-post Chick - great to hear from you.  You DID AMAZING!  Well done! xx

• Well done Chick, hope the sunstroke isn't too bad + you're feeling better soon!

• Back lying on my bed! Thats not a easy marathon course, but the support oh boy the support is just out of this world, you just cannot believe the noise they make, truly magnificent, thank you Boston. Full report sometime but need to rest before drinks with Chick and 2Old. This is one marathon you should do if you can.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

It sounds great DD.  Very well done!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    You nearly caught me up in the end DD image

I'm totally done in now. Can't stand up without feeling completely dizzy image. I think I really got heat stroke image
  • Brilliant job guys.image

Hope you feel better soon Chick.

DD - It's on "the list".

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Brief pop in

Oh well not one of my best experiences . First 10k went well-43 mins and I started thinking about a final time. Then mile 7 my left calf went and I could just about walk. I spent the next 20 mins in a medical tent having massage and icing. I had a golf ball sized knot and the calf filled with fluid .My leg was strapped and I thought about the long way left. Anyway I decided I'd struggle to mile 16 to meet my family. They weren't there which probably was a good thing as I'd have quit. Basically I hobbled the last 18 miles and ran walked the last 5 . It was hot too. Great atmosphere though the experience was too painful to describe as enjoyable. Still I've got the medal to add to my collection. Just a bit worried about how long this injury will stop me running.

Congrats chick - hope you get over the effects of the sun quickly

And congrats DD.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh no 2old! We could see something had happened but boy did you pull it back. Sounds a hard day all round but what an experience for you all.

Now go get drunk and don't worry about that calf for now. x
  • Ouch 2old. Hope you calf sorts itself out pronto. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Chick - ditto watch out for heat stroke. And DD - that is a great achievement considering your running seemed to be around a heli deck!

I am just trying to detox from all the wine and beer consumed this weekend. Proper training must start soon!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- thanks it was a bit challenging to say the least. I don't have KFCs pain tolerance image Please can I have a brief sleep before I get drunk ? image
  • Minni - 2old asked me what times, Chick and DD did, can you disclose to me, so I can pass on cheers

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Oh yes for the record-

Time Pace/mile

10km 0:43:38 7:01

Half-Marathon 1:57:05 8:55

30km 2:41:38 8:40

Finish 3:44:08 8:32

A negative split! My first- fwiw
  • Ow, 2Old that sounds painful! hope you get the calf sorted + in the meantime enjoy a few drinks!

D.D - fantastic achievement espec given your lead up to the race, well done!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Lol! Every cloud....
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Minni- positive thinking and all that

Kiwi- we had a good laugh about DDs training regime yesterday
  • Ok, Dan sent me this to post. Either he's running, or hopping cus of the injuryimage

/members/images/479221/Gallery/Dan_Boston_Marathon.jpg

• Well done chic, look after yourself, the room spinning doesn't sound good. Lots of fluids.

2old, some negative split. amazing time, think most would've given up with the calf so early. hope its minor.

DD well done.

A tough day for all with the weather and that course.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC- fingers crossed it won't be abig issue. Thee were a lot of people fainting after the race. One guy collapsed in my family waiting area . Hope notjing serious happened . Time to go out