RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Great photo 2old. Enjoy the beers or whatever you chose. Job done.

Not that it affects many here but VLM ballot entered.
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Greater love hath no wife - than she gets up at this time to enter her comatose husband in the VLM ballot..............image

2old / DD / Chick:  enjoy the after race 'party' and well done to all

• 2old/DD/Chick - Congrats on finishing, sounds like a great but tough day. Enjoy the celebrations.

Ballot entered.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Oh well here we go again ..when do we apply under the VLM deferral procedure? Time to meet more of Team Minni
  • FRC - thanks for the reminder, ballot enteredimage.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Chick - congratulations & hope you feel better soon.

2Old - well done you did really well as it sounds like a tough day for you

Well done DD

Ballot entered for me as well.

• Sounds like a hard day in Boston, so well done for toughing it out guys. 2Old, hope the injury isn't too bad.

• 2Old - O-U-C-H! Well done for toughing it out though... Great mental toughness in that heat.image

PHEW... Just made it into VLM ballot and was halfway through the OH's entry when the shutter came slamming down!!! She won't be happy!image I'm clearly not as dedicated as O4S!

• VLM ballot entered at 7:30AM - I didn't realise it opened at midnight! It seemed to shut very quickly.

But I am now in the tri training lark. Only 3 runs a week! Gives me the shivers image how can that be enough?!?!

• Oompa - You're going to have some explaining to do in October, if you get in via the ballot !
  • Let's see how "charitable" she is?image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Morning all- feeling as though I've been assaulted with a baseball bat today

Looks like it's going to be a big Team MinniVLM party next year

Chick-hope you are feeling better today
  • old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2Old:  Perhaps you were?  How much did you have to drink?  Can you remember what she looked like...............

• Sounds like it was a tough days in the office for everyone yesterday.

2Old- well done for keeping going and pulling it back, I can only imagine how tough it must've been.

Chick- congrats and hope you're feeling better today. I can totally understand... as you know I'm not a big fan of running in the heat myself!image

DD- sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Well done!

• Hi y'all!

A big well done to the Bostonians!! I had a work friend running who had a bit of a time of it, a medical tent was involved image  Will get the full lowdown when he's back in later in the week......

Am glad that I did the London ballot as soon as got into the office this morning, sounds like any later and I wouldn't have been in the hat!! Fingers crossed all..... Although if I get in, it'll be as a pottle around on the build up to the first ultra image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Conked out at half seven last night. Ouch. Blisters forming on both shoulders (green face) but feeling better. Strangely my legs are not too bad. First pics are up on marathonfoto if you want to check. There's a nice one of DD and myself in our cheapo Aldi tracksuits at the start. Race number 13636. I look like I'm having fun at half wayimage

Right, off to the airport soon.
  • Morning. Well I at least am fine, slight DOMs but can walk downstairs ok. Off shopping for the day, fly home tonight. VLM ballot entered before I went to bed last night, thats my 12th go at the ballot with one success so far
  • DD - Don't depress me, I managed to get in once so far out of 2 attempts.

2old - Big respect for getting round. You were flying for the first 10K, could you feel the calf or did it suddenly go? Recover well, Abingdon training starts soon.image

Chick - Glad you're feeling better, running in the heat/sun is not fun, but sounds like a great experience. Nice photos and it looks very hot.

Swimming practice for me this afternoonimage, back to running tomorrowimage

• col.col. ✭✭✭

2old / Chickadee / DD - well done to you all in Boston. It sounds like a fantastic marathon. One I will consider for next spring.

Minni / Carrot - well done at the relays.

Barry - good tempo run there. Sub 90 is definitely on.

Nell - nice 21m run.

Darren - excellent pace on the 20m run. Using P&D as a guide for your plan sounds a good option.

Good luck everyone who has entered the ballot for VLM.

• 2old, nice photo. good to hear the boston trio are feeling ok today, hope you all have good journies home!

bucking the trend - didn't bother entering the VLM ballot, figuring I'll eventually get a g.f.a to do it again but happy to try some less crowded ones in the nearer future, starting with Abingdon image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    There are more photos online now and I look like I'm having way too much funimage
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Boston guys, Well done in another hot day for running!

Well done on getting round with the calf 2old, mad dogs and Englishmen and all that ;0)

Hi Chick, I hope you didn't experience another type of room spinning after the drinks? Well done.

Nice running DD and still thinking of another marathon whilst experiencing DOMS!

HI Daren, Nice 20 mile progressive run, before breakfast? That is some going, was that without any fuel and water on the run also?

Hi Minni, Haddington is Sat 9th August, I believe at the usual strange time of 14:00.

Hi col, Are you back to running or resting up for the moment?

Hi Oompa, Never used Sweatshop, but my physio uses them. I use Run and Become in Edinburgh, they have a branch in London. The store in Edinburgh are pretty good and they have you running outside or in the shop and don't miss anything. I think a lot of the time it depends who you get on the day in a bigger store as I have had mixed experiences in another store in Edinburgh Run4it. I can understand where the guy at Saucony is coming from as there seems to be a lot of focus on neutral shoes now, and improving form. when I was on the Chi running course they said you had to have neutral shoes and were promoting 0mm drop. I didn't go as far as 0mm drop though.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- it just went ..no warning at all. I couldn't stretch it out or massage it myself , I needed the assistance of the medics and when they did it my calf filled with fluid. This then needed icing and strapping explaining why I was in the tent for over 20 mins and why the 3rd 5k of the race took 45 mins!For the rest of the race I limped / ran . The 'lump' is still in my calf today which is worrying . What did you do to fix your calf?Great training by the way. 

Chick- enjoy your holiday 

DD- safe trip home. 

Nell- I'm Welsh actually...but am probably mad 

• Nell, yep, no fuel or water. I'm hoping it will get my body used to burning more fat, so I don't hit the wall in the marathon.

Oompa, tried Sweatshop for my last pair of shoes, as I was hoping for something a bit lighter than my regular trainers, but not quite racing flats, as I race everything up to HM in flats, but want something with a bit more support for my marathon. The woman seemed to know what she was talking about on the video analysis on pronation etc. (although, to be honest, it looks pretty straightforward stuff), but didn't seem to have any idea as to what to suggest for a lighter shoe. She also stuck me on the treadmill at a ludicrously slow speed and looked at me like I thought I was an elite or something when I suggested putting it up to about 8mph lol I went away with very similar trainers to the ones I was using anyway, so still haven't solved my marathon shoe quandry. Does anyone have any ideas, or should I forget the idea of running a mara in something closer to flats and just use my regular trainers?

Hope the Boston trio are recovering well.

• Well done to Chick, DD & 2old. Sounded like the sun wasn't shining on Team Minni on the day (well, it was which didn't help, but you know what I mean!). Great effort in the circumstances to get 3 finish times. Hope you are all basking in the glory and looking back on what was a momentous occasion.

Daren/Oompa - I've been to a few different Sweatshop stores and they've always been pretty spot on with me. I'm about half-way between neutral and support, so they always said to go with neutral as that's better. Went to see a podiatrist and she said exactly the same, so think they were right (haven't been injured since I got some custom orthotics - they're only a small degree, but have made a load of difference).

My comeback trail from operation isn't going too well. Showed my leg to a mate who commented the back looks like a shark attack and the front looks like it has been peppered with gunshot! I went for a long walk which I think was a bit too soon - jumped in the shower when I got back and felt a bit odd. Got out, and the next thing I remember was coming around slumped on the bathroom floor. Was out cold for well over a minute. Had someone come out and see me and I had a low heart rate and low blood pressure which I think can make you feel light-headed. Hey-ho, think I need to rest up which leads to another question...

I know nothing about bikes. Can anyone recommend something to get me started? Would quite like to do trails and roads I think, but don't know where to start looking. Not looking to race, just something to rack up a bit of mileage

• Red - ouch sounds a bit painful. Bikes, where to start, there are so many options out there?! When you mean roads and trails - what do you mean? Mountain biking or towpath? And would you be using it more on the road or on the trail?

• Thanks for the advice guys.

I figure that i've been injured on and off for the last 5 years wearing stability shoes, so what have i got to lose? I'm now considering either Brooks Pure Cadence (i mid-foot strike and these seem to suit that), Saucony Kinvara or Mizuno Wave Rider's... Any views most welcome.

Daren - I ran London in flats last year (Asics DS Racer's) and the rest is history!image That said, i was carrying an injury so i would say that if you are bio-mechanically efficient i would do it.

I don't know how you guys do 20+ miles without fuel or water? I normally take a 500ml Lucozade Sport and at least 2 gels!image

• Redders - Sorry to hear about your close inspection of the bathroom floor tiling! Make sure that you rest up. I'm also looking at getting a road bike as i've only got an old beaten up Scott mountain bike that is a bit beaten up now and last saw the light of day for L2B 2009!

Does anyone know anything about Mekk bikes, as they look good value for a carbon framed bike? I'm not going to spend £000's on something that could just be a toe in the water. I know at this price point the spec isn't going to be the best, but is it a false economy?

• Thanks Oomps, yeah, I usually wear Asics and the DS Racers look like a good bet actually - a bit more support than my flats, but not much heavier. Will check them out. Sorry, don't know anything about Mekk bikes.