Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• Running Rodent wrote (see)

PC - my other races have included Lochaber, Isle of Man and Beachy Head, as well as the ever so exotic Croydon Ultra. I like to get about.

Don't forget Lady Bower?

Super race report, RR. Had a catch in my throat as you described the end. Sounds like a wonderful event and I think your time is blooming marvellous. But I'd also like to hear more about what you learn in the post mortem.

BM - I can sympathise. I keep telling myself I must not waste the little bit of marathon fitness I have acquired, that I should get out there and keep going. But running just seems such a chore. I don't know how Emmy and Weedy can turn up for one almost each weekend. Any tips for us?

• TinkerBel - I know how you feel re running being a chore just now. After my 30 miles on Saturday The thought of running today just about made me sick so I went cycling instead! image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I've no idea how Weedy and Emmy can churn out marathons as often as they do either. That takes some mental endurance as much as physical endurance. Those two are legends.

I've got a 10 mile race this weekend and I'm flapping about that. Although partly as it involves driving in Edinburgh to get to the start line and I always get lost driving in that place.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Superb report RR - thanks for filling us all in and giving us a glimpse of what it might be like.  I certainly understand the "traveling a long way for a race" partimage

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Are the Paris ballot results due today? Will it be an email?
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

RR - great report. Pure lump in the throat stuff - and what magnificent bling. 

• orapidrunorapidrun ✭✭✭

Andy-W- the Paris emails are starting to trickle out now.....but not to my inbox, yet image

• RR- great race report. I have to admit I got a little tear in my eye too!

Sorry I haven't been around much, with this and FB I can't keep up!

So, I've mad my decision, autumn marathon is going to be Florence. There are so many out there it was difficult, but the timing for this one is best and its such a  beautiful city.  Can you put it on the list please Weedy - 30 November!!!!

As far as running goes letting myself back on it slowly, short runs of to 6/7 miles until June then I'll get my mileage back up again - looking forward to getting fitter!!

No Paris email for me yet image

• RoundmanRoundman ✭✭✭
    Well done RR and great report - Boston is definitely one of the marathons I would love to do!

Just back from Butlins so playing catch up in the forum. Legs finally starting to recover after Paris so was able to get it and run along Minehead seafront - missed the shouts of "allez allez" though...
  • Félicitations, vous avez été tiré au sort pour participer à l.édition 2015 du Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris. 
    Vous pouvez ainsi profiter du dossard à un tarif préférentiel de 75€ accompagné d.un abonnement gratuit et sans engagement de 3 mois au journal Le Parisien ou L.Equipe en version numérique (à confirmer lors de votre inscription). 
    Nous vous rappelons que les autres tranches tarifaires sont de 89€, 99€ et 109€.

Finalisez votre inscription pour garantir dès maintenant votre participation au Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris le 12 avril 2015. 

Les étapes :

1. Rendez-vous surhttp://www.asochallenges.com/fr/subscribe/schneider_electric_marathon_de_paris_2015
    2. Entrez votre code avantage : b2ma1Mn
    3. Profitez des options proposées
    4. Validez votre inscription

Attention : ce code est valable jusqu.au 4 mai 2014 uniquement. 

L.équipe du Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris

-- 

Congratulations! You have won the drawing to be able to participate in the 2015 edition of the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris. 
    You will thus be able to take advantage of a special race number rate at 75€
    We remind you that the other rate choices are at 89€, 99€, and 109€.

Finalize your registration now to guarantee your participation in the Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris on April 12, 2015. 

The steps: 

1. Go to http://www.asochallenges.com/en-EN/subscribe/schneider_electric_marathon_de_paris_2015
    2. Enter your advantage code: 
    3. Take advantage of the options that are proposed
    4. Validate your registration

Attention: this code is only valid until May 4, 2014. 

The Schneider Electric Marathon de Paris team

http://wptum.aw.atosorigin.com/admin/postAcmMailResult.jsp?contactKey=17343620

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Stuchbury is back! Been on holiday, nearly lost the miniest Stuch over a cliff. All fine though! Bogged down in work.. will read back on everyone's successes of the past week shortly image

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Have just read your race report RR - amazing. Many congratulations... what a race and experience it sounded like. We watched live last year on TV when the bombs went off. I was really upset that something like that could happen at an event I would love to run. Well done you. Feet up and relax... until the next run before Comrades!

And well done too Dannirr - the heat sounded awful.

• StuchburyStuchbury ✭✭✭

Ooooo.. Jellybum... you've gone for Florence.. sounds better than Abingdon!

• Steve Ayling, you might want to edit your post to remove your personal code.  Congrats on getting in!

• RR - fantastic runing, well done.

And a race report worthy of medal too! Sounds pretty tough though - I need to think long and hard whether I can commit to this one.... Can I borrow Scott?

• MacPerky - he's available at very reasonable rates, and, now I believe he's bought a wet suit, so he's also rubber coated and wipe-clean image.

• Great report RR. I don't know if all American marathons are like NY but were their patrols of stewards with loudhailers shouting at you all the time? I found that a little grating. Maybe they are different in New England? Rest up now hey, give yourself a chance to recover. That was a tough race and although the distance was standard for you it will have extracted more strength if you struggled from as early as 7miles. Well done for digging deep like that.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    My special rate offered is ???89 .... Doesn't seem that special???
  • Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    I only paid 112 euro last year inclusion the itab and race video and entered in October after finding out about London (which is only ??31 if you can get in)
  • Great race report RR, what an event to do, and well done on the run!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Chicago and Disney certainly didn't have patrols of stewards with loudhailers.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I wouldnt say anything about mental strength.. I just keep running.... and hopefully without getting lost.

• But what do you think to yourself when the going gets tough, Emmy?

When everything is really sore, and you think "Why the flock am I doing this? This hurts and it's not fun and it's all stupid." I know these emotions come and go as you run but what happens when they endure for the whole run.

To go out running the day after a marathon (however short the run is) seems like a monumental achievement.

Is there anything specific you did to get used to the idea of running long distances on consecutive days?

• One more day at work for me, then me and TD are off to Geneva for the weekend to see my brother and his wife who are here from Australia. Very excited.

I will overlook the fact that this brother has heartlessly stolen my marathon running thunder by completing the Melbourne Ironman 2 weeks before Paris, 2 years in a row. But then. He is older than me, so therefore Better. image

Given our Easter involved no chocolate eggs, I'm hoping Switzerland hasn't run out of chocolate.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

London is £80 for overseas applicants, perhaps the difference is footed by the British tax payer.  European nationals should all pay the same price !  I was trying to explain the ballot system to a friend, I don't know if these stats are true because little is published however in 2012 there were 125000 Brits and 5500 overseas applicants, for 35000 places.  78% of the runners raise money for charity, does this mean lots of charity places or lots of charitable runners ?

I don't think ASO cares if there are 35000 or 45000 runners, they maximize their revenue.  I'm sure that 10000 extra tourists would bring more money to Paris.

As London is accessible and like Boston they have limited places, the demand is higher which makes the races even more prestigious.  Everyone knows that they can get a place for Paris in January, even if it's 109€, so there's no rush.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Tinks - your brother did Ironman ?  Never heard of him !  We all know you and that you did Paris. 

• Thanks for the report RunningRodent, fantastic and a brilliant time too. I can't imagine what it must have been like to run with all of that support. London last year was the best supported I've seen, I think because it brought people out in a big "F' you" to the vile people. 

Good advice on staying on UK time. One day I'll do a US one - I really want to do Goofy!

Great Yarmouth 5mile road race tonight - the first of three, every fortnight. It's the same route for each one and the idea is that you get faster each time. Hayley Hamster reckons I can sub 40. I reckon I'll be lucky to do that on rollerskates - went for an efforts session last night and managed about three minutes before my body was going "oi, you don't feel great, you've got a sore throat and that cold has popped up again". Gah. 

No Paris email. Bah. Did enter London yesterday though - you never know!

Have you heard about Jason Scotland Williams? Fascinating. 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    TinkerBEL wrote (see)

But what do you think to yourself when the going gets tough, Emmy?

When everything is really sore, and you think "Why the flock am I doing this? This hurts and it's not fun and it's all stupid." I know these emotions come and go as you run but what happens when they endure for the whole run.

To go out running the day after a marathon (however short the run is) seems like a monumental achievement.

Is there anything specific you did to get used to the idea of running long distances on consecutive days?

Hmm... I've been thinking about this. When I step upto the start of the marathon I never have in my mind that i cannot do this. I instead think - it's just the wrong side of 26.2.

I also think that everytime I'm running -i'm running towards the finish line. I just let my mind wander around. What else is going on, talking to other runners, chipping people off. I have mantra's that I say to myself, songs that I sing but most of all - running is my "me" time and for a lot of runs - i'm processing stuff. Processing the day, processing my life, planning my work day.

When it comes to the recovery run - I think: the first mile will hurt but i'll hurt less at the end of it - so it doesnt seem as bad and its always right. The first miles may be tough but once you're warmed up - you're fine.

Then coming up to the consecutive days of marathons - you need to have it in your mind that this isnt one day, one marathon. This is just a journey that you're going on and you need to reserve your strength and energy.

During the Quad (4 marathons in 4 days) I asked a few people how to prepare and they said: start out on the day 1 slower (this was 10min miles) and just keep that up for the first 2 days. Then speed up. Day 4 was my fastest day of the entire lot and it was because i had run within myself but also because i had recovered well. I always eat and drink something within 30 minutes of finishing.

• No patrols of stewards with loudhailers at the USMC either, just lots and lots of locals with hilarious motivational messages.

Have a great time in Switzerland TB and TD.  Make the most of the chocolate.

Happy St George's Day to our English forumites!

• Top advice Emmy, I was asked a similar question over the weekend - "but what do you think about on the long runs?" I had the useful answer of "it depends!" but I think it's all about using the time away from computers etc just to process what ever else is going on in my life. Not that I've done multiple marathons, but during training we've all got up day after day to do run after run and find the motivation to do that (and keep doing it for 4 months!)