Bring Back races

Comments

• Hi,

Southend Marathon.

I got excited a couple of years ago when there were rumours it was going to be revived. Came to nought though. image Think it was something to do with road closures but considering it doesn't deviate much from the half marathon route not sure why. Can't we just add another loop or 2 in the half route please?

• Hi charleypenguin

Thanks for flagging up the Southend marathon. Any idea how long that had been going before it came to an end?

• fat facefat face ✭✭✭

Another vote for the Chester Zoo 10K except I thought it was Capenhurst Running Club. I loved that race, even the bastard hill at 9K.

I think it fell victim to the combined issue of H&S and over eager/arrogant runners.

• StrayceltStraycelt ✭✭✭

Tour of Torfaen half-mara....abandoned due to logistical probs circa 2010. 6.5 miles downhill from Blaenavon to Pontypool then up to Griffithstown before flat run into the finish at Cwmbran Stadium to be presented with your medal by the mayor in full regalia.  Guaranteed good time and felt it for days after in the quads. Great local event which could be made more of and would be welcomed back round these parts!
    Used to be organised by Torfaen Sports Development and any proceeds went to the Mic Morris Memorial Fund. Now just a 10 k in that part of the world 

• Hi Staycelt

Thanks for this about the Torfaen Half. Any idea what year this race started- sounds a good one to include.

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

A 'brought back' rather than 'bring back' but my running club has revived a 5 miler around Ogmore Valley in South Wales which was an annual event in the late 70's / 80's and attracted some decent runners. We started it back up last year and will be running it again on May 4th this year. Someone added some old photo's of the race when it was last run 30 years ago on facebook. Apparently all the community would be out and it was a real party atmosphere which we'd love to recreate.

http://www.cwmogwrrunningclub.co.uk/Cwm-Ogwr-5-Miler.html

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

A 'brought back' rather than 'bring back' but my running club has revived a 5 miler around Ogmore Valley in South Wales which was an annual event in the late 70's / 80's and attracted some decent runners. We started it back up last year and will be running it again on May 4th this year. Someone added some old photo's of the race when it was last run 30 years ago on facebook. Apparently all the community would be out and it was a real party atmosphere which we'd love to recreate. We

• legend777legend777 ✭✭✭

A 'brought back' rather than 'bring back' but my running club has revived a 5 miler around Ogmore Valley in South Wales which was an annual event in the late 70's / 80's and attracted some decent runners. We started it back up last year and will be running it again on May 4th this year. Someone added some old photo's of the race when it was last run 30 years ago on facebook. Apparently all the community would be out and it was a real party atmosphere which we'd love to recreate. We had

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

for  me   it would be  Holmfirth 15  miler      Leeds and Sheffield full marathons

• Nice to see the small piece on the Coventry Marathon in this months Runner's World. This event changed my life. I ran in the second Cov marathon in October 1982, having been inspired by the first London Marathon. I decided to train for it and took my first ever training run on 1st january 1982. I swore to give up alcohol until I the race was finished. During the training  I discovered just how beneficial running (well slow jogging) is, getting leaner, fitter, able to cope with stress and even improving my sex life! I finished the run in just over 4 hours.  I have enjoyed running ever since.

• Hi Martin, glad you liked it and that's what we are hoping to do with this section- bring back some great memories.

And thanks Compo, already tracked down the organisers of the Holmfirth so hope to include that in a later edition. Please do keep the suggestions coming!

• Timos wrote (see)

Echo what Terence says about Fareham - really flat and fast. There were 3 Half Marathons local to me - Sandhurst, Yateley and Crowthorne - now sadly all gone.

Crowthorne HM - I never ran it but I remember that it was infamous in the area for Jimmy Saville taking part most years image

Other races I used to enjoy were the Camberley Half-Marathon and Stratfield Saye 10k races.

There was also another half-marathon in Reading, about September-time, the Courage HM.  In the Courage bicentenary year they gave out special edition bottles of beer image

• Giving you a cool beer after a HM run- those organisers knew a way to a runner's heart!

• Hi Adrian,

Sorry for delay in replying! I only know that the 1st ever Southend Marathon was in 1985. There has been a campaign for it to come back in 2011, 2012, 2013... I remember seeing it going along the seafront from Chalkwell and Westcliff to Southend in the late 1980s. I seem to recall that a man called Newton was associated with it but can't be sure! Anyone else know any more? They have a facebook page 'bring back Southend Marathon' which has a few photos from 1985.

Charley

• adrian monti wrote (see)

Giving you a cool beer after a HM run- those organisers knew a way to a runner's heart!

Agree Adrian - great idea.

• Cheers Charleypenguin and I will try and find out some more about the Southend Half. Thanks again for all your suggestions and  please keep them coming.

• There used to be a great race from Kirby Lonsdale School in Cumbria called the KL 12  and also the Broughton Springtime 10 based at Broughton in Furness and organised I think by Black Combe Runners

• The Canterbury Marathon! Before my time but apparently it was fabulous!  We have a great half marathon in the summer but we desperately want our marathon back!

• Thanks guys, will check out these suggestions too.

• Poole Marathon - run in June, used to award a Poole Pottery plate to all finishers.

• Yes, a few other people have mentioned this was a good race. Trying to track down some of the former organisers. Thanks Andy

• BiffaBBiffaB ✭✭

100 yards dash! Spiffing! Much more enjoyable than that metric rubbish.....

• London

Birmingham

Leeds

Glasgow

Sheffield

Bradford

Edinburgh

Liverpool

Manchester

Bristol

Wakefield

Cardiff

Coventry

Nottingham

Leicester

This is a list of the 15 largest cities in the UK by population.  Quite a few of them do not have a major marathon!

• eastham75eastham75 ✭✭✭

the Barry Patmore 15 used t be held in Wickford Essex used to enjoy this may years ago.

• Thanks- I will try and find out more about the Barry Patmore 15. Any idea when it ended?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

amazed the chap who bumped about 23 threads about the Bluewater 10k hasn't posted that on here!!