Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Straight in Gul no messing well done.image I thought they might have raised the GFA this time.

• Thanks Gul.

Have thrown Mrs L's name in there again on the expectation that she'll enjoy her Stockholm experience so much she'll fancy doing another one despite her current "I'm only doing the one marathon" standpoint. image

Feeling better now, but have decided to play safe and not take my running kit with me to Inverness. 

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Good to see the foot chat continuing.  Not sure where else I'd go to see pics of blisters, gout and manky toenails.

Congratulations on all the recent marathon results - you know who you are and commiserations to those that didn't come away with what they worked for.

I ran Potchefstroom parkrun on Saturday for 21:57, a new PB by a handful of seconds.  I was 6th overall, 1st international, 1st over 40, and fattest in the top 10 (or actually first half of the field)  

Periostitis continues unabated and so minimal running from me.  It will be bike and kettlebells when back in the UK for me.  My running future may comprise Hoka's compression garb and other ridiculous items whilst I recover.

Still in SA for another week.  Intrigue continues - its like a movie over here.

Happy running all

• Lorenzo wrote (see)

...despite her current "I'm only doing the one marathon" standpoint. image

We've all said that at some point haven't we?

I'm still a ballot hopeful this year as my plan to run GFA at Brighton didn't come off.

It's filling up fast though - I was quick off the mark early this morning with a reference number still in the 100's but also threw Mrs Fin's name in the hat and in the 3 or so minutes between the 2 entries the reference had jumped to over 8000. It'll be closed by lunchtime me thinks.

• FINgers wrote (see)

but also threw Mrs Fin's name in the hat....

image sounds like some sort of party... which of course it's not....image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ballot is closed already!

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Ah, the fun of ballot madness! image  Won't be entering myself this time round, as a spring mara isn't on the cards for next year due to Mrs A having her final school placement for her PGCE, so I'll have a lot more childcare duties and a lot less time to train. Autumn 2015 is looking like the next viable mara date for me. HMs between now and then.

Thanks for the kind words on VLM. I won't be posting any pictures of my beaten up, bruised & scabby knees! A week going up small fells in the Lakes (Catbells, Loughrigg & Helm Crag) at the pace of a 4 & 5 year old was exactly what the doctor ordered, and other mara aches and pains disappeared reasonably quickly.

Well done BI on flying the flag in SA.

Hope your fall-induced injuries are healing Gul!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

CNBA with ballot. Hope to get a qualifying time for the following year. Easier said than done, but that should get my ar*e in gear for the autumn campaign.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Sold out quick if closed in less than 12 hrs.
  • AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

First run since London today, a very gentle 5 miles. Felt good to get the trainers on again, but the knees are still stiff & sore. Will take it easy for a while longer I think.

My running buddy from work is just tapering for his debut marathon too, running the North Dorset Villages mara over Bank Holiday weekend. Almost the polar opposite to London in terms of the size and location of the event.

• Abbers- I did that one a few years ago. Fine n flat with no crowds at all! 

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

I promise never, ever to post any pics of my feet on here ever again. Please can everyone make the same pledge?

So no pics, today I have 3.5 tendons showing so after 9 days of no running it seems to be on the mend.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

PMJ proof positive that you have a serious problem- no doubting you would be out of action with that level of swelling- hadn't realised it was that severe. 

Abbers don't worry about your time, that negative split shows you will run far better when you get a better start at the sharp end.

Understand you feeling down Ant but remenber what you achieved a few days ago- just give the old war wounds time to recover

Fantastiic few days in the Lakes. Tried the Keswick parkrun in a leisurely 19:10. Best news is that junior OO ran 42:45 in the North Tyneside 10k, a PB by 8 mins.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    OO - well done to the nipper! She's progressing really quickly and that is an amazing 10k time from her.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Lorenzo - how is Mrs L getting on with her training? Just over 5 weeks to go! If all goes well I won't need a ballot entry, but I thought it was worth putting my name in the hat just in case.
    Abbers - all OK thanks - scabbing over nicely. How are you?
    OO - well done to junior OO.
    Progressive 8 miler today: 8:28, 7:48, 7:21, 6:45, 6:34, 6:26, 6:09, 7:47.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Rich - Quite like the sound of it after the noise and intensity of London, by way of comparison. Will be interested to hear his opinion of it, although he (like me) will have nothing to compare it with. Much more liek the roads I train on though, and without the people in the way!

PMJ - Glad you're on the mend. That was very poor timing, so hope you're back to it soon.

OO-51 - Cracking time from OO Jr, and a huge chunk off her PB. One to watch! Don't think there's a better place in the world than the Lakes when the sun's shining (assuming you can get away from the crowds a bit). I'm actually quite pleased with my 3:27, given how it could easily have been a DNF after 3.5 miles! Other targets over shorter distances now, and then unfinished business with 26.2 miles in autumn 2015. Considering Chester and Yorkshire, but plenty of time to narrow down plans!

Gul - You're training is still going really well. Some quick miles in today's progressive effort. Knees & left hand are still sore; some deep holes that took a while to dry out properly (sorry for too much information!). Feel fine when walking, but the knee caps protested after yesterday's easy 5, so some lingering bruising I think. Won't be doing anything faster or longer for a few more days (although had contemplated the Southbourne 10k on Sunday if I felt OK; it's fast & flat, and my PB course).

• My toes are always manky, although not as bad as they used to be.

Speedy miles in your progressive 8 miler Gul - looking good. Those subway hill reps must be paying off.

This is a weird time in the calendar post marathon. After many months of training with an A goal there is nothing (much) on the horizon. I kind of like this as you can set lots of mini goals throughout the summer and if one doesn't happen, move on to the next.

With no Autumn marathon, my goal is to lower my 5k - 10k times. What about everyone else?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

00 - wow, that's a massive PB over 10k!

KR - I also plan to work on my 5k time for a couple of months.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

Just had a quick read back. Abbers: Wow, what a great effort to keep going after a nasty fall. More achievement in your run than I think you realise. well played!

While running in Brighton I vowed never to do a marathon again as the pain in my thighs in the last few miles almost casued my legs to explode, my fingers began to tingle as blood left my extremities and  rushed to my legs to feed them oxygen and the sprint finish to scrape into the 3.19s scarred me mentally for life.

So I have of course entered it again for next year as well as the VLM ballot. image

The VLM15 ballot closed in 9 hrs 50 mins. I just about scraped in but yet again don't expect a place.

Did my first hilly run since Brighton yesterday. Some colleagues who run at work use the Strava website. You can set course records for segments of various routes. They've been setting new segment times during my marathon training that I was unable to challenge as I could not risk injury by overdoing it on steep inclines and descents. So I bombed a few yesterday quite handsomely, much to their dismay. Marathon fitness rocks!! image

SB

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

KR - a couple of 10km races over the summer (Kingston Lacy in June & Wyvern in July), although nothing entered yet, so not definite. Then an October HM campaign, probably for local(ish) events which I can get to from home, avoiding weekends away (Bournemouth on Oct 5 and Salisbury on Oct 19 looking like early favourites).

SB - cheers, the fall undoubtedly slowed me down and affected the rest of my race, but had the advantage of keeping me slower in the first half so I could finish strongly! No idea what would have happened without that, I would guess maybe under 3:20 but possibly not 3:15. We'll never know, so definite targets for the next one now. Appreciate the positive comments image

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Oh yes, and 4 more easy miles in the bag. Knees felt easier today, which is a relief.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

KR / literatin - +1 for a faster 5k. Mind you, still have my marathon to run first.
    SB - nice running.
    Abbers - glad to hear you're recovering well.
    4 mile recovery run this morning.

• Gul - good progresive run from you yesterday. You must be feeling confident (but not over confident!). Mrs L's training is going well (says her "coach" aka me) - 20 miler already in the bag with a couple more over the next few weeks before starting the taper with, er, a girls weekend away.

+1 for improving speed over the summer. Going to have a crack at a decent 10K time a week on Saturday and see where I go from there. 

4.5 miles this morning with the middle 3 at 6.50ish pace.

• Plan for the summer is to get a pile of 80% + WAVA gradings.

For a man of my age (48) that is:

1 mile 5:13
    3000m 10:19
    5k 18:09
    5 miles 30:00
    10k 37:46
    10 miles 61:57
    Half 82:17

Best I have done so far in 2104 is 79.27% for a 20 miler so I am there or thereabouts, just need to sharpen up the speed.

Nice thing is that the 6 minute miles stop fairly soon: used to do those for 20 miles and now I just need to do 5: even the 10k pace is outside 6 minute miling.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Is the WAVA more important that the time for you PMJ? For me it's the times, I'd like to get down to 18 again for 5km, 37 for 10k and sub 60 for 10 miles. Not sure about Half but 1:22 id probably achievable.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just worked out what times I'd need to run for 80% WAVA:

5k     - 19:38 (1:00 to knock off)
    10k   - 40.24 (3:30 to knock off)
    10m   - 66:37 (10:00 to knock off - yes its 10 years since I last ran one!)
    HM    - 88:13 (3:08 to knock off)
    Marathon - 3:08:37 (7:11 to knock off)

image  Quite a nice way of setting targets.  I'm not sure I could achieve any of these.  Might have to try and maintain current times and till I'm older.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hmm. Still not convinced by WAVA for target-setting for me. To get 80% I would need an 18:30 5k (actual PB 18:37) and a 2:49:16 marathon (actual PB 2:56:33, 77%). I know which time I think is the bigger achievement for me though (clue: it isn't the parkrun).

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Abbers, at least you cam away without serious injury.

• OO-51 wrote (see)

Is the WAVA more important that the time for you PMJ? For me it's the times, I'd like to get down to 18 again for 5km, 37 for 10k and sub 60 for 10 miles. Not sure about Half but 1:22 id probably achievable.

WAVA is just a way of comparing distances. It is nice to get a bunch of 80% + each year but I think my real targets are close to yours: sub 18, sub 37, sub hour (the big one) and half sub 82. 10 miles really should be sub 62 but I need a hard target somewhere.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Gul - how long to mara day for you now?

Lorenzo - some speed returning to your sessions already; good stuff. Where's the 10k?

I'm not remotely worried about WAVA while I still feel I have reasonable gains to be made against all my PBs! Reckon there's room for improvement across the board, mostly as I don't race often so some times stand for years without revision. I can understand how WAVA provides motivation for others though.

6.5 in the sun at lunch; a very pleasant bimble.