Brighton Marathon 2015

Comments

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Ooh dear, done it again and signed up for my third Brighton marathon in a row! This is becoming my favourite uk event I have to say! 

• I have just finished my first week of walking/running and today I actually enjoyed it and am looking forward to my next session!

I have got a Garmin which is so much easier than using my old mobile phone; this week I'm running for 90 seconds and it is so difficult - I am extremely unfit though.  I can't imagine being able to run anything past about 3 or 4 minutes at the moment, let alone running a marathon.

Reading what everyone is up to on here is so inspiring though and I am determined to train sensibly and thoroughly; I have my hotel booked now so there's no going back!

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭

Sleepy J: hang in there and take one step at a time. Aim short for now and don't worry to much about your end goal just yet. First goal 1 mile, then 3 miles, 5, 10, 13, etc etc. just remember not to add more than 10% distance to the previous week to avoid injury and you should be fine. Good luck!

• Thank you safer image

I have read lots of stories of injuries through increasing speed and/or distance too quickly, so I plan to go slowly.  Not that I have much say in the matter at the moment!

• SleepyJ when my O/H started running she couldn’t for more than about a minute so i started her on a  couch to 30min plan the first week was run 1 minute walk a minute repeat 8 times 3 times a week and it built up over an 8 week period she's now run 2 marathons and this year run her first sub 2:30:00 H/M  so keep it up and I’m shore your get there

• Hello all! First race of 2015 entered image

What can I expect from Brighton?

• LouP252 you can expect a well organized and well run event and if passed years are anything to go by great crowed support a course that offers any supports you my bring a good chance of seeing you on numerous occasions

the course is flat on a whole and the couple of uphill bit are nothing to shout about  

• I was going to enter London as well as Brighton but just seen London ballot closed already.

Probably for the best - total commitment to Brighton now and none of those "will I , won't I get a place" worries but feels a little odd not to have least tried.

• SAFER wrote (see)

Ooh dear, done it again and signed up for my third Brighton marathon in a row! This is becoming my favourite uk event I have to say! 

Thats because its the best image

• Entered the VLM ballot last night. Not expecting to get a place but felt it was worth trying. If I am lucky enough to get a place Brighton will still be my main focus and London will be a hobble round two weeks after.

• Tillstar you'll probably find you'll be as fresh as a daisy if you do London after brighton, mind you unless you get a good pen near the front, you won't have no choice but to run slowly and from side to side ....

• both me and Snowmaiden have entered the ballot for London

• Tillstar wrote (see)

Entered the VLM ballot last night. Not expecting to get a place but felt it was worth trying. If I am lucky enough to get a place Brighton will still be my main focus and London will be a hobble round two weeks after.

Same here - missed the ballot but have a GFA place so will be hobbling round London, after my main focus which is Brighton for 2015.

• SAFERSAFER ✭✭✭
    Wenty wrote (see)
    SAFER wrote (see)

Thats because its the best image

Very true Wenty, very true!

• No run for me tonight. Have a stinking cold that's on my chest so I'm having to have another rest day which is frustrating me
  • toby3 wrote (see)

LouP252 you can expect a well organized and well run event and if passed years are anything to go by great crowed support a course that offers any supports you my bring a good chance of seeing you on numerous occasions

the course is flat on a whole and the couple of uphill bit are nothing to shout about  

Thanks Toby, I have read all good things about it and after doing Manchester for my spring race the last two years I fancied a change.

I thought about the London ballot, it was still open when I looked this morning but decided against it.

• SleepyJ - sounds like you are going at it the right way by doing run/walk. I only started end of August last year with a couch to 10k programme. It had me doing lots of walking but 2 months later I finally ran my first mile, then 5k the following week and carried on from there and did Brighton a few weeks ago! So keep at it, it can be frustrating to take wall breaks but it's all time on feet and it all helps. The Garmin definitely helps too especially when you hit new milestones and it beeps at you at the end of a run! Keep at it image

• good luck sleepyJ. keep the thread updated with progress. 

amazing how quickly the london ballot filled... blimey. 

as for me - no running since Saturday due to alcohol *ahem* and a big get stuffed curry tonight. nothing tomorrow 'cos i'm away with work all day so i'll have to get out on Thursday and the weekend. gah. feel all bloated and slothful.

curry was good tho image 

• 3 miles on the treadmill for me yesterday gym session tomorrow

• toby3 wrote (see)

3 miles on the treadmill for me yesterday gym session tomorrow

I have huge respect for anyone that can cope with treadmill running - My mind wanders and I fall off the back!!

• A lovely 5 miles for me at 6:40 this morning,the dogs are enjoying their morning runs too!! 

• Tracey GTracey G ✭✭✭

Ran Club Handicap 5k Race yesterday. Hope I can improve my time nextmonth plusswollen ting any flies.

• Just wondering, what size field does Brighton have?  And when does it usually sell out?  I'm nervously flirting with the idea of giving it a go next year...

• 6 mile run with the running club tonight, beautiful scenery as we ran across the suspension bridge and into Ashton Court estate.  Bristol 10k on 11 May so need to get my speed up if I want to get a sub hr 10k.

Mungus I think it sold out in about June last year, but the price goes up the longer you leave it to sign up. 

• Think you'll find the price went up last night,as I had an e mail saying last chance of early bird prices (apart from expo prices that is) yesterday, so not sure of price now...

According to the figures just under 9000 turned up to run with 4000 not collecting their number this year, yet I think it copes with up to 18000 runners...

I'd give it a go though mungus, I've ran 4 out of 5 brightons and the crowd support is amazing, along with the set up ....go on give it a go, at least you know your in when you sign up none of this waiting till October lark to find out like London!! 

• Mungus, Generally approx 17,000 apply and 10,000 run. I think this is a perfect size as its small enough you can run a good race without falling over everyone and large enough for a great atmosphere. Sells out around June time, but always reasonable charity places (unlike the "donate your house" to charity to run London).

• The percentage of people not running Brighton seems terrifically high. I wonder why it is.

• I think its because people get into London and only being one week apart the drop out of Brighton when they get accepted into London (around sep/oct). This is why Brighton is often referred to as the London overflow marathon.

This is what i am ashamed to have done this year image(and regretted it)

• And then there is people like me who signed up to last year, didn't get time to train properly and then deferred to 2015. Also I know of someone who has a 2015 Brighton place and has just won a place in Paris 2015 in the ballot and its on the same day and she will be deferring Brighton 2015 to 2016.  There are many reasons.

Still no running for me this week due to chest infection thing.  Will end up being a complete rest week as last night was the last day I could have run this week.  Hoping to get a good week in next week as we are on holiday the week after so that will be another rest week.  looking forward to getting some regularity to my training when we return.