RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Oompa - you tried any of the Adidas shoes? I have used Adidas Supernova Glide since v1 and have been very happy with them. Also a neutral shoe. 

Did a club tempo run last night 6 miles at 7:19. I guess that went ok. Ache a little bit this am, but hopefully will clear during the day.

My first race post marathon is a track mile in just under 2 weeks! Not sure how well I am going to do in that! image And that is closely followed by a tri. At least that one will be a PB image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Oh good they have started a local park run. Maybe I can work on improving my 10k time when I can run again

Oomp - you make me look like a novice at running whilst injured. Nice 5k probably not a good idea but who am I to judge
  • Ant - Never tried Adidas as i tend to bounce too much when i run so figured that with that Boost thingummyjig i'd look like a triple jumper?image

2Old - Were you running 5k pace at the start of Boston in preparation for your local YKW???image

• 2old - great report and very well done for toughing it out for a very long way and finishing. Think you just might have made the calf work by carrying onimage.  Speaking from experience you will have weakness there for a while even when it feels fully recovered, so probably best to lay off the quick stuff for a while when you start running again.

Nell - Very consistent quick miles.

Swimming practice yesterday and rest day(first in 2 weeks) today. I do feel better for reduced running and increased cycling/swimming practice, but will be interesting to see what effect it has on my racing.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- thanks. You are the calf expert here so I will follow your advice. I did my 26.2 pb after a summer of TRI training but it didn't half wear me out.

Ant- nice mix off stuff , great way of varying it 

• Barry: all my PB's came off tri training. In fact I'm sure it was the cycling i did whilst injured which got me through Boston. And that is the beauty of tri when one sport hurts back off and do the other two.

2Old: hope your able to run soon but sounds as if its time to swim!

off out on the bike for 30+ miles now its stopped raining. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD- I'm dusting off my speedos as we speak. You've not slouched since you got back 

• Oompa - the supernova glide don't have this boost thing in - i don't fancy it myself. I think it is only on some selected (read more expensive) models.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

DD / 2old - great reports. The Boston marathon sounds like a race to add to my to do list.

Nell - I have been running every other day this week mostly off road in the trails. All low mileage and easy pace. That's a good tempo run with very consistent splits.

Barry / Pinklady - good luck you both on Sunday. It will be interesting to see who wins the bet!

Ant - nice 6m tempo. 

Oompa -  that's a good 5k. Hopefully the knee will settle down.

Parkrun for me tomorrow. Going to go reasonably hard to see where I am post London.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Just popping in briefly, busy with new house. Not yet moved but trying to get most of our own stuff moved before our house sale completes, while cleaning everything in sight.  Great reports Guys, hope all the aches and pains recede soon. 

Fact: 11 days is not long enough to recover from a marathon and race a decent 5 mile time image  Race 8 of 9 last night and a huge PW - 38.54!  

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

What is wrong with this site - it suddenly refused to let me type any more.

Anyway I was relieved it was faster than 8mm but cross that I was only 4th scorer for the team. Still won the F55 as my main rival also ran London and was even slower than me image  Quite a few tired legs there last night and I had also spent the day scrubbing cupboards image 

Will catch up properly soon, meanwhile good luck to any racers this weekend

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

2old - amazingly fast splits on a buggered leg there still.  Nice report.

Redwood - if you've plenty of time to look, worth sitting on and trying out as many as you can to make sure you get one that fits you.

Pink - I'm sure you'd be more than able to do the tri if you gave it a go - assuming its a sprint distance, given you are happily running halfs and not fazed about the swim you'd breeze it.  Tempted? 

nicki - are you doing all 3 races?  It may be what you need to kickstart the mojo again!

oompa - eek, your poor knees.  Think your dr may be right? 

O4S - how did foamy the fire extinguisher do?image  I hope 3 weeks is long enough to recover from a marathon to run a decent 100 mile time!

First swim of the year for me today - very slowly cranked out 1.5k.  Got a tri in a couple of weeks so hope to get in a few more before then so I'm not just floating with style.

Also did 8M at 7.45s - which felt harder than it should.  17 weeks left to get faster by 27mins... image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

parkrun - 21.09.  Still got my slow heavy legs on.  Did you fare better col?

• col - Thanks, but i think that what you really should have said instead of "good" was "shite"!

Ant - I'll have to give 'em a whirl if they haven't got the polystyrene filling.image

old4speed wrote (see)

Fact: 11 days is not long enough to recover from a marathon and race a decent 5 mile time image  

Who are you and what have you done with O4S??? Good luck with the move... On second thoughts, i should be wishing BA good luck!image

• wow, fantastic race reports 2Old and D.D!! Very admirable how you both tackled the race with the training problems you had!

Chick - hope your back is ok now?!

Struggling to keep up with you chatty lot! Next couple of weeks are going to be a mare at work all the GCSE paper work we have to do.

Just popping in to let the Abo gang know that I've booked a hotel for the Friday and Saturday nights before the marathon, thinking Abingdon is a small place and the hotels might fill up quickly but availability seemed ok image p.s I rate booking.com as they don't take any deposit, you pay when you arrive at the hotel.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Quick check in from Tulsa. Back hurts, legs are fine, sunburn still red raw (green face)

Being a Boston finisher is great and opens all sorts of doors. We got an upgrade to a huge big car, they have us a suite in Chicago and everybody just loves you.

Hope everyone is doing fine image
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

HI Col, very wise the trails will be a bit more forgiving with you, and naturally should slow you down, do me anyway when I stumble over tree roots ;0)

Hi Chick, Nice to hear you are gaining perks from Boston, milk them for all they are worth ;0)

Hi kfc, You getting back into training after London then?

Hi Barry/Pink, Are you running Stratford tomorrow? Good luck! and give Barry a run for his money Pink ;0)

21 miles this morning, had to change from my Sunday run as my wife is running the Edinburgh 10 miler tomorrow and I will be on children and encouragement duties. Ran at mainly 8mm pace. Overall average was 8mins, the 4 miles at start and end are down/uphill so they balanced out I guess. Met a friend in the Meadows in Edinburgh and ran with hime for a mile or so and then kicked on, which was a nice surprise and broke things up. Cold bath when I got in image and the legs are not feeling too bad after sitting watching the women's triathlon. One more LSR to go and then taper time..... 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- still basking in the Boston glory ...it's strange being home away from the hype. Hope you are having a good time in Chicago. Miss 2O is there now and has done the architectural boat trip and the gangster tour. 

Nell- your marathon training has gone well ..all eyes here will be on you now

Kiwi- that's worth knowing for Abbingdon thanks. Enjoy the marking 

O4S- another fine race win well done. Good luck moving too

KFC- fast park run. Can't wait to do our local be when I'm fit. 

Col- definitely get toBoston - sooner than later if you can .

Did some spinning today ..no,problems there but I still have that 'lump' or knot in the outside middle part of my left calf. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Oompa: I take your point - I suspect that moving 24x45L boxes and some furniture could also have had something to do with the poor time ( still 83% age graded!) image

Wish we could actually get on with moving in completely but own house is still trundling through the process after the chain broke, so we are shuttling between two houses. Have decided not to move in until the ancient boiler has been replaced...... Meanwhile we are moving everything we can ourselves - Pickfords eat your heart out.

4 mile run today and boy was it slow....................

• Kfc: nice park run

2old; then spin and swim away

kiwi; red pen ready?

col: if you have the chance to do Boston, grab it.

Chick: milk it for all its worth and rest that back.

Nell; nice long run, looking good.

53 miles on the bike for me, went with club for the first time in weeks.... 30 miles they said, I had a feeling the group leader had screwed up as we approached Salisbury, which is 25 miles from home!  So thats 118 miles and 7,000 feet of climbing on the bike in the past 3 days, must be training for something! 

• Nell -  Very nice long run.

Kiwi - I'm  26 miles from Abingdon, which is handy, but on the morning of the race it's a little daunting thinking I've got to run this far.

2old -  Have you tried breaking down/easing the lump with some pressure,  if it persists maybe go and see a physio to see if they can sort it. Good news you can cycle.

Stratford HM for me and Pink tomorrow, be a bit strange turning off after the first lap as I've done the marathon there twice. looking forward to it even though weather not looking great.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-were you carrying the boxes on that run?

DD-'must be trainning something'....what ?

Barry- I can't get deep enough into the muscle so will probably need to see a Physio but as it's only 5 days since it happened I will wait a bit. Are you going to run to Abbingdon before the race then? Expecting a fast HM tomorrow. Good luck

Pink-good luck tomorrow ...sub2 !  

• KFC good park run time, less than 2 wks after vmlm. Yes I am doing all 3 races of mid sussex marathon weekend, at least this yr there's 3 weeks from vlm, as opposed to last yr which only had 2 weeks.

good luck pink and barry tomorrow

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

2old: of course I was - what else would you do with 24 boxes of random 'stuff' image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-deposit them in a skip? image Are you fitting in a 30 miler tomorrow? 

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    We are in the Great Plains now. Chicago was Wednesday . Bloody freezing there but what a terrific city!! I want to do the marathon there

We have 32 degrees outside right now and it's 8pm. Used the hotel treadmill today. Didn't make the back any worse but helped my mind. Skin is coming off in chunks now (green face).

2old: any idea where that lump came from? Was it torn muscle fibers? Good you can do at least something, even if it's not running.
  • kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

have a great race today pink and barry!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- that's extreme heat. Hope it's only your sun tan peeling off! Glad you can run. I think the marathon gremlin got me again. ...more likely a tear resulting from stiffness after little running over the previous 10 days and travelling , lack of a warm up then running too fast from the off on that long down hill from the start . 

• Barry/ Pink: go well

2old: last year was JOGLE this year is LEJOG. After that i will be done with UK and will be off to attack the Pyrenees in 2015.

Chick: I assume you mean Celsius though your in the states and you could be talking Fahrenheit, all the F stuff really confused me last week 

O4S: sounds as if your life is as busy as usual.

Six miles for me this morning, first run post Boston, all my niggles / injuries have gone but my calves are very tight, better start stretching!

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Celsius image

Sounds plausible, 2old. I tried to start slow but it doesn't work nas the wave just pushes you along. My legs felt awful from the off and that familiar old back pain came on pretty early image. You know you are in for a rough time when the pace feels hard in the first mile already.

Off to New Mexico today, driving thru Texas. We are going to have lunch at the Big Texan. That's the place where you get a 2kg steak for free, if you finish it (green face) ...