Sub 3h15

Comments

• So on MT there was a Chris Zabriskie on the podium at Boston, and there is also a Chris Zabriskie in the sub 3;15 Jantastic team, same guy?

Ran 3:06 at Boston: good run. He is a US guy, not a solid Brit.

http://render.marathonfoto.com/Render/Z.ashx?O=761598&R=1004&F=0047&K=36AC3D1576A4F5EF57789E4EBDF0EFAD

• KR, if you can sub 18 parkrun then sub 18 3 miles is so easy it is unforgivable not to.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Nice one Rich, forget about the speedy ladies and concentrate on being your best

If WAVA-chasing motivates one's performance, so much the better. I can see why it would sharpen PMJ's already impressive speed.   But WAVA doesn't translate fairly beyond 26.2 - my best % is for 5k & HM yet in racing terms my best distance is probably 40-50m. Probably because WAVA assumes flat boring road courses which would have one phoning the Samaritans long before the finish.

Shiny new Comrades vest arrived today, absolutely cr*pping myself, with 5 weeks to go imageimage Must HTFU

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

Bugger, I didn't even enter any races until I was 29. If I'd known about the downward slope I could have saved myself the trouble. Need to find a sedentary sport for the middle-aged.

Bowls is good, and quite absorbing. Ditto billiards, but involves a flexible back. I was trying to explain the concept of Veteran Old Git to someone the other day and admitted celebrating a sub3 mara with the purchase of some new carpet slippers. Bliss! 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

I'm running my first cross country race tomorrow, Cheiveley chase, which is 5.7 multi terrain. I was informed on Facebook that it may be a muddy affair, didn't fancy running it in my road shoes so popped out and bought my first pair of trail shoes.

New balance 610, they're in red so must be fairly quick. Trouble is I usually go up half a size for my road shoes as I like a loose fit, but they didn't have the half sizes so they are perhaps a little on the tight side. Better support off road? Hope so.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Abbers wrote (see)

AR - Good luck with the Achilles. Being out running again (albeit only a mile) must be a positive sign?

Nets last night after yesterday's 6.5, and shoulders are complaining today! Still, gets it out of the way before league action begins on May 10th.

Nets - Summer is just over the horizon.

The run was just a little tester. I'm completely board of rowing and elliptical trainers. Two weeks of that along with occassional Physio poking and ultrasound led to me eyeing up the empty treadmills in the gym.

I'm not quite sure of the words to use but I started longing after my favourite treadmill, and before you know it I'd had away with it.    I'm really not sure it was worth it for a quickie. Shamefaced I skulked back to the elliptical . The Physio is bound to know I cheated, and that will be another relationship statistic. image

• moof, XC shoes need to be snug.

• Rich, been there too missing the start of a parkrun. Kind of good to start at the back and make your way through the pack. Makes up for being late!

PMJ - got my target firmly in sight image
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - Wow, you have nearly as many races in May as I've done in my entire life!
    Lorenzo - It's being held at the CycloPark near Gravesend, so it's a tarmac path purpose built for cycling. At least I've lots of experience of running round in circles.
    SB - nice track session.
    Badbark - amazing stuff - good luck!
    Rich26 - enjoy the parkrun! Once my clock had stopped and I nearly missed parkrun. Had to run fast to get there before the start and consequently got a rubbish time.
    Poacher - nice one. My slippers are falling to pieces.
    Moof - all the best with the XC in the new trail shoes.
    AR - LOL!
    4 miles d&d. Week 27 complete.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    Moof - Good luck with Cheiveley Chase and your new trail shoes. If they're snug, with a good fit, then you'll fly along.

Also Ran - Hope your achilles continues to improve and that your physic is none the wiser! Nothing really beats running does it. You may have already done so, but have you tried cycling? Outdoors on a spring evening with the sun on your face and the wind in your hair?

Rich26 - Nice reps. I haven't tried anything that fast since Manchester.

PMJ - That's certainly a full on racing schedule you have planned. Good luck with it all and hope your foot/toe continues to improve.

I have a season of trail races planned between now and November interrupted in September by the Robin Hood marathon. The first one is 31st May from Staveley. None of them are standard distances, which means you race them rather than time yourself to a PB
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Lit said "If I'd known about the downward slope I could have saved myself the trouble. Need to find a sedentary sport for the middle-aged". 
    No need - just continue with this sport and eventually you will feel sedentary even whilst practising it  . . . .
    Poacher said "Bowls is good" - I actually won a trophy at that "sport" when I was about 20 - work team was a person short for the midweek league - yours truly stepped into the breach and the rest is, as they say, history  . . . .
    Poacher also " . . . the purchase of some new carpet slippers . . ."
    ffs, say it ain't so, Poacher !!!!
    Actually, you've earned the right to comfy footwear with your silly distance exploits - and don't think I've overlooked you in that category, Badbark

14 this morn in damp, misty conditions - half on, half off road - felt a lot better than in midweek.

Good weekend running to all . . . . .

• Crikey Gul - that's a long way to come down. I thought it was a bit closer to you. I saw that they also do some duathlons there so might be tempted to head over that way at some point over the summer.

Hope the XC race goes well today Moof.

Also-ran wrote (see)
    I'm really not sure it was worth it for a quickie. Shamefaced I skulked back

Shame on you!!! image

Just under 12 miles in the rain for me this morning - there's a fairly local 5 and 10 mile run tomorrow which takes entries on the day so I might be tempted.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Nordic walking is good for the middle aged!

18:24 at the parkrun this morning and WAVA 80.9%. Unfortunately one of the best V50's in the country turned up and ran sub 18 for a WAVA 85% making me look like a sack of potatoes. Fairly happy with that though, coming back nicely. 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Excellent, OO - both time & WAVA image

• New p.b for me in parkrun today. 19:24 

• New p.b for me in parkrun today. 19:24 

• Rich - congrats. It was so good you did it twice!

Nice one from OO as well. 

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

00-51- that's a cracking good time and wava, there's always one that's faster or usually loads of them for most of us image

Rich -is that your first sub 20 ? well done image

3 very easy miles for me this morn , still struggling after thurs 22 miler,  10 mile Race tomorrow but having a CNBA moment , paid already otherwise id sack it image 

42 miles for the week which is lowest this year by far.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's very good regular mileage Leslie. 

Nice PB Rich always a great feeling even if it's just a parkrun.

• Rich26, tell me, what did you run at parkrun today, think I missed the first two reportsimage Well done.

19:19 for me, slow run on a slow course (water is back) but even that doesn't account for the slowness. Just a bit lethargic so those races will get me back to sharpness. have to admit, first mile felt good in 5:54 but a couple of 6:20s were reality coming back. Had a long diversion in the way back to get some lard: Tesco had no lard so ended up in Asda. wonder if lard loading is the new carb loading?

• Fourth consecutive parkrun today, each with a finish time just north of 22 minutes.  Which, if I'm not very much mistaken, gives me a WAVA grading of midnight blue, with a subtle hint of auburn.

Yikes-a-Lordy.  22 painful minutes for a bloody 5k.
    Looking good for sub 4 at Abingdon then...

• moofmoof ✭✭✭

Well done all you parkrunners today.

My first attempt at xc turned out to be quite successful, ended up 6th overall and 1st Vet. The top three were awarded bottles of wine and the vets prize was 6 mini jars of jam!!! What's that all about?

Still a very enjoyable race, with plenty of mud and deep puddles, I'll give another one a go.

Definitely needed the xc shoes.

• PMJ- here's a little report. Lard loading? could be V Dangerousimage but V nice!

Parkrun is great! Free, always there and always new geezers to race against.
    Anyway today was great as I turned up on time and had a definate nervous energy inme starting the race. Bearing in mind it's a 60 mile round trip to my nearest race.
    I had to put in an extra effort today as I'm off to Africa with work on Wed and won't get any running done for the next 5 weeks!

Cold, foggy day today and very windy blowing 20MPH from the east. There was a good turn out and a lot of guys that look like they meant business!

From the start of the race there was a great surge where I was sucked in for a brief moment then came to my scenses and backed off a touch. After around half a mile I got into my stride and decided to go by instinct and feel rather than clock watching. The fella that had passed me at the half mile stage was my new pacemaker! I latched onto him and followed him all the way to the finish. Was a real effort to hang on, but had a sence of relief that I never colapsed at the end.

Mile reps pretty consistent all coming within 5 sec of each other! No-one had passed me in the whole race!
    Final little sprint and a new Parkrun P.B of 19:24.

Would lie to thank the volunteers for helping out and not commenting on my attempted chatter and frothing mouth at the end! He he!

MOOF- great run! well done! glad the new shoes worked out for you! I use my Innovates for that kind of run! good grip and no cushioning...

• Nice even running there rich26, mine were a bit more haphazard. Moof, jam is not as nice as wine but jam is better than no jam.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Nice parkrunning folks and well done on the new pb Rich.

OO - You are very consistently fast over those 5k's. Your times are my kinda target for this year but the way things are going at the mo I'd be lucky to break 19.

PMJ - Foot on the mend then?

Moof - Well raced there too in the XC, I've done one XC in 26 years and that was a DNF. Depends on the Jam, prefer Raspberry myself.

No racing here just an 8am 10k run with a chap who has a 35 min 10k to his name, so it must have felt like a jog to him @ 7:20 pace. Was slightly miffed to hear that he is back smoking 20 Marlboro's a day though and he doesn't seem to be in bad form with a 17:20 5k race on Thursday night! Looks like no racing for me for a while as teh only race on offer is a 10 miler which is partly off road on cliff paths, no thanks.

• Fish52Fish52 ✭✭✭
    OO-51, Rich26 and Moof - great racing today
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    The Accidental Runner wrote (see)

Yikes-a-Lordy.  22 painful minutes for a bloody 5k.
    Looking good for sub 4 at Abingdon then...

We'll be expecting a Sub 3 then TAR image

• SBD, not seen you here for a while, how are things ticking along?

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

10 mile race this morn ,(SSE walled city 10 mile) wasn't looking forward to it but when I got to the start decided id go out at 6:30 milling and just hang on,Eased up for mile 3 as it had a 3/4 mile climb then whatever I had for the rest.

Finished in 66:07 according to garmin , slowed a fair bit in the last 2 miles as they had a  few climbs and my legs were knackeredimage but there's something wrong with the elevation as it said 100,000 feet , has done it a few runs now not sure if its garmin with another silly update or what image

Put the hr monitor on for first time in ages and average was 182 with a peak of 195 bpm at the sprint finish  image