Sub 3h15

Comments

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Nice racing Leslie on a VERY hilly courseimage

Envious of the parkrunning speed merchants. My legs don't seem to want to go any quicker than 6:30mm at the moment. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Enjoying the footy! image

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well done Leslie, ver y brave. I need another week before I can race any kind of distance. Next 3 days in Russia means no running so I'll be cramming back ond of the week before the Keswick Half. Legs will come back Slokey, don't you worry.   

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Russia? Do you work for the diplomatic service OO?

Its my birthday today and it looks like Jose's boys are about to give me a present. C'mon!

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday Joe image 

Official results in for me 22nd out of 311 finishers which is about 200 fewer than signed up for it from what id heard.image a full 10 minutes behind the winner so some way to go yet  image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Well done Rich and Leslie. image

Happy Birthday SJ!

Yesterday was my granny's 100th birthday. She suffers no ill health, has all her marbles, still lives in her own house. I hope I've got her genes. image
  • Minni, does she enjoy a tipple?

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

She owns a vineyard....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    No she doesn't drink! I fear that might be my downfall....
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    PhilipMJones wrote (see)

SBD, not seen you here for a while, how are things ticking along?

A few calf problems post VLM13 killed the enthusiasm a little and then I let work & life get in the way of any training.  Before I realised it, 6 months had passed and the fitness had slipped a little (OK, dissapearedimage) ...

I've been inspired by the achievements of all the threadsters in London and the other Spring marathons - everone just keeps getting better!  Commiserations to those, including yourself, for which it didn't quite work out on on the day.

One of my clients died unexpectedly a few weeks back.  This made me realise that you have to find time in life to do the things you enjoy.  And I really would like to run a Sub 3 at London (a potential V50 80% WAVA!) so time to start the training for VLM15 ...

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Solid running by Birch, Lorenzo and GM

00-51 – Excellent +80 WAVA Parkrunning!

Rich – Well done on the Parkrun PB

Leslie – Great 10 mile race and postion

PMJ – Good Parkrun with a very quick first mile.

AR – Sorry to read your Parkrun wasn’t what you’d hoped.

Moof – Excellent XC result with 1st vet

SJ – Belated Happy birthday!

Minni – Happy 100th to your gran!

I’m running my first ultra marathon on Saturday and looking at the gallery it should be a good challenge - http://www.26extreme.com/gallery.aspx?ID=72157629721976907

I’m running the 50k then follow it up 2 days later with the Belfast Marathon. I actually wish the marathon was the day after the ultra as it’s usually two days after a long race when my legs stiffen up and I have to walk down stairs sideways!image

I ran 15.5 miles on Saturday including a sneaky 18:49 Parkrun after 10 miles on a slow course. I was 4th overall but 1st in the age grade results for the first time. I’m niggle free and really looking forward to the races on Saturday and Monday. I’m not ‘racing’ either but using them as training runs towards the 100k in just over 6 weeks time. However, holding back when my competitive juices start to flow will be a challenge itself!image

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Birch - nice run.
    Lorenzo - my brother lives near Maidstone, so handy for an overnight stop. Did you do the 5 or 10 mile race yesterday?
    OO - cracking parkrun and WAVA score.
    Rich - congrats on the parkrun PB.
    PMJ - good effort - you'll soon be flying again.
    TAR - consistent parkrunning. I've never even done 2 in a row, let alone 4.
    Moof - haven't you heard? Old gits eat jam. Congratulations on the podium finish in your XC debut - great result.
    GM - sounds like a good 10k run.
    SBD - good to hear from you again. Maybe see you at VLM 2015!
    Leslie - excellent racing.
    SJ - belated birthday wishes.
    Minni - and to your granny. Now that's endurance!
    Badbark - some cracking training going on and what a weekend you have lined up! Good luck.
    10 miles inc. 10x100m strides for me this morning (usual time, just posting late).

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

What BB & Gul saidimage

BB - looks like you're well on track for your debut ultra.

Gul, nice miles, as usual from you.

Particular mentions to the parkrunners (PBs or otherwise), Moof's XC podium and Leslie's 10 miler. Impressive stuff.

Happy birthday to SJ and Minni's Gran for yesterday! 100 not out. Good effort. image

• Gul - decided not to do it in the end but took the opportunity to join younger Lorenzito in his club training session. 1.5 mile run there and back, plus about 5 miles including speed work, so all in all a good work out.

Belated birthday wishes to SJ.

Nice racing from Badbark and XC virgin Moof.

Ladder intervals for me this morning. Reasonably happy with the pace.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Just to stop you lot slacking...

May 3 - 50k Causeway Crossing Ultra Marathon ??? Badbark ??? Finish 
    May 5 - Belfast Marathon ??? Badbark ??? Sub 3:30 
    May 25 - Newry Marathon ??? Badbark ??? Sub 3:30 after 20+m the day before 
    May 10 - Marlborough Downs Challenge 20 miler - MsE 
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes 
    May 18 - Richmond Park marathon - Marrows no target 
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr 3:08 
    May 31 - Stockholm Marathon - Lorenzo more evenly paced than London 

Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher TBA - Bike It sub 8:20 
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H 
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning 
    June 8 - Run Jersey half marathon - GM sub 1:28 
    June 14 - 100k Portumna Forest Ultra Marathon ??? Finish 
    July 20 - Northumberland Coastal Run - Minni - OO - Poacher 
    July 20 - Dundee Adventure Marathon - Rich26 - sub 3:59:xx 
    July 26 - Thunder Run - Minni, MsE (team mates) 
    July 27 - St Andrews Olympic triathlon - Rich26 - Finish middle 1/3. 
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx 

September 6 - Perthshire Highland Marathon - Rich26 - 3:45ish 
    September 7 - Great North Run - CC2 - sub 1.24, Minni - sub 1:30 
    September 28 - Loch Ness - Rich26 sub 3:10 
    September 28 - Robin Hood - Yhsif - 3:12 or better 

October 5 - Jersey marathon - GM sub 3:10. 
    October 5 - Chester marathon - CC2 - TBC 
    October 12 - Yorkshire marathon - Poacher, Minni TBC 
    October 12 - Great Eastern Run - knight rider sub 1:25 
    October 19 - Abingdon - Moof sub 2.55 - Poacher - BOTF 2:59:59 - MsE - FINgers TBC 
    October 26 - GSR - FINgers sub 6x.xx

• Odd lunchtime run: started out at a brisk clip, steady but not fast, and sighted a guy about 100m ahead of me. He sort of looked familiar so decided to chase him down and after a 7:05 mile and not closing, I took the foot off the pedal and decided he was away, but ticked over with another couple at 7:15 and then a 6:54 to close when he seemed to be slowing.

Had a chat with him and he was out for a hardish one and blew a gasket at 3 miles so I towed him back at 8 minute pace.

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

Very community spirited of you, PMJ! image

Some nice targets and events listed there. Will throw my hat into the ring for a couple of local-ish 10k events in June & July and an October HM once I've firmed up plans.

7.5 for me today, longest since London, but got a little soggy in the thunderstorm that was looming. No pain from the knees at all now, so pleased with that, but still having issues with the hole on the left knee which just isn't healing. Bothersome.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

PMJ - I had a similar run the other night when I was doing 5 miles @ 6:45 but sadly the chap who was ahead of me was much quicker and by mile 2 he was away from me. I know him so wasn't too hacked off. He is much quicker so that pace probably felt comfortable to him whereas I was working. Oh and he weighs about 55kg compared to my 80!

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

May 3 - 50k Causeway Crossing Ultra Marathon - Badbark - Finish 
    May 5 - Belfast Marathon - Badbark - Sub 3:30 
    May 25 - Newry Marathon - Badbark - Sub 3:30 after 20+m the day before 
    May 10 - Marlborough Downs Challenge 20 miler - MsE 
    May 11 - Fred Whitton Challenge - SJ - no crashes 
    May 18 - Richmond Park marathon - Marrows no target 
    May 31 - Kent Roadrunner - Gul Darr 3:08 
    May 31 - Stockholm Marathon - Lorenzo more evenly paced than London 

Jun 1 - Comrades - Poacher TBA - Bike It sub 8:20 
    Jun 1 - Walled city marathon - Leslie H 
    Jun ? - Swim length of Ullswater - SJ - no drowning 
    June 8 - Run Jersey half marathon - GM sub 1:28 
    June 14 - 100k Portumna Forest Ultra Marathon- Badbark - Finish 
    July 20 - Northumberland Coastal Run - Minni - OO - Poacher 
    July 20 - Dundee Adventure Marathon - Rich26 - sub 3:59:xx 
    July 26 - Thunder Run - Minni, MsE (team mates) 
    July 27 - St Andrews Olympic triathlon - Rich26 - Finish middle 1/3. 
    July 27 - Outlaw - SJ - 10:xx 

September 6 - Perthshire Highland Marathon - Rich26 - 3:45ish 
    September 7 - Great North Run - CC2 - sub 1.24, Minni - sub 1:30 
    September 28 - Loch Ness - Rich26 sub 3:10 
    September 28 - Robin Hood - Yhsif - 3:12 or better 

October 5 - Jersey marathon - GM sub 3:10. 
    October 5 - Chester marathon - CC2 - TBC 
    October 12 - Yorkshire marathon - Poacher, Minni TBC 
    October 12 - Great Eastern Run - knight rider sub 1:25 
    October 19 - Abingdon - Moof sub 2.55 - Poacher - BOTF 2:59:59 - MsE - FINgers TBC 
    October 26 - GSR - FINgers sub 6x.xx

• Gerard Mooney wrote (see)

PMJ - I had a similar run the other night when I was doing 5 miles @ 6:45 but sadly the chap who was ahead of me was much quicker and by mile 2 he was away from me. I know him so wasn't too hacked off. He is much quicker so that pace probably felt comfortable to him whereas I was working. Oh and he weighs about 55kg compared to my 80!

How big is the running community in Jersey? Do you know all the runners?

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

BB, I could not have done sub 19 parkrun after a 10 miler- respect.

You missed off the Keswick Half Marathon from your list- entries on the day this Sunday if anybody fancies a day scenic out. But it's a toughie...  

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

BB - That is a mental race schedule you have lined up. You're some man for one man!

PMJ - I'd say it's fairly big given a population of around 100k, a lot of people seem to be running now. I know all the racers as you see all the same racers at various different events. I race as often as possible and try to run most days and see most runners running the same route along the promenade which is an out and back 10k route. I do mix it up a bit but the 10k route is a favourite amongst many as it's on a pedestrian/cycle path and is pancake flat, albeit normally windy.

Abbers - Coming back nicely!

Gul - Getting close now & I hope you can keep running well and get your return on investment!

I have been doing some shorter stuff of late to try and get some speed back in the legs and tonight felt like a mini breakthrough. Time constraints mean I can't get out for more than 20 mins at the mo, so have been doing 2 milers. Last night was 7mm then 6:41, tonight was 6:34 then 6:19. No warm up but warm down consists of 400m cool down and then 30 ab crunches and some bridge work in an effort to get some steel in the glutes.

A bunch of chaps have organised a 5k lunch team race (4 runners mixed team) which takes place once a month. First one is this Wednesday and I don't think we will do well as most of my team mates are not very competitive but it's going to be a good turnout with 29 teams of four booked at £200 per team! It's a 6 race series and the quickest 3 races per team wins. Our firm needs to change their recruitment policy and get some speedsters in! Frustratingly, one of my colleagues is now benched, probably permanently and he has a 1:59 800m and a 16:xx 5k!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - nice speedy stuff. That will be a good turn-out for the lunchtime team race. Shame about your colleague.
    14 miles d&d this morning. 7 slow miles @ 9:00 m/m and 7 easy miles @ 8:01 m/m.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭

One of the things I enjoy post-marathon is my return to football. made a triumphant return last Thursday but took a cracking knock in the ribs on the right chest area. Nice yellow bruise coming out and it really bl00dy hurts.

It meant I had to bin weekend running and ended up on the treadmill at the gym last night, Despite the pain I managed to set a treadmill PB for 5k with a 19.08 which is 6.09 pace. that's a whopping 41 seconds off my previous best set in February. That's quite good for me.

It also means I really should get off my lazy arse and get out to do a Parkrun one Saturday soon and see if I can get a sub-20 5k (have never raced a 5k before) but I just can't motivate myself out of bed!!

SB

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

GM – Good to read about your speed break through. Good luck in 5k lunch team racing, it sounds like fun.

Gul – Good 14 mile run but what is ‘d&d’? Dungeons and Dragons?image

SB – Great dreadmill running and yes you really need a Parkrun attempt. How to heck can you not get out of bed when you know you’ve a PB waiting!image

As I’m not tapering for Saturdays 50k and Mondays marathon I ran 11.5 miles this morning including some hard intervals. I managed 3 x 1 mile in 5:44, 5:55 and 5:54 then 10 x 30 sec hill sprints and 5 x down hill sprints all done on grass. I’m pleased with this as I’ve been eating higher fat and low carbs for a few days and I’m also going caffeine free until the ultra.

I’ve just read Matt Fitzgerald’s ‘The new rules of Marathon and Half Marathon Nutrition’, and I’m testing out a recommended high fat/low carb diet for 5 days before carbo loading. I know Steve way does something similar so happy to give it a try.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

BB - Right I am running at snails pace compared to your mile reps, they are quick. d&d = done and dusted I presume.

Yay, I have just received confirmation that Parkrun is defo coming to Jsy!!!imageimageimageimage

• AbbersAbbers ✭✭✭

GM - like the sound of that lunchtime team comp. Shame your star runner is out though! Good news about parkrun too. Any idea where/what the course is likely to be?

Gul - good controlled MLR there.

SB - your mara training seems to have kicked your running on nicely. Good dreadmill session there, just a shame about the cross-sporting injury!

BB - quick miles there, given your heavy training load and current lack of carbs. Looking forward to seeing how your upcoming events go. Marigold has quickly become a role model for many aspiring runners!

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Abbers - Yes it is, he's been benched for nearly two years, don't think he will ever run again. Had surgery that wasn't successful. Yes, it's a 3 lap course in a park called Les Quennevais in the southwest part of the Island. It's ideal as I will drop my son near there for footie practice on Saturday's at 9:15. Will take me 10 mins warm up run to get to the start line and away I go.

SB - That DM run sounds quick but have never really run on one so hard to grasp what it would feel like. I used to play alot of football but now I am old I am too worried about injury jeopardising my running, so I don't bother now.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

No running in Russia, just plenty of food and beer- worth a visit if you haven't been.

• Typical, I have two nice weeks off training, decide it's time to restart and immediately get a cold. Grrr. I have read back, but my snot riddled brain didn't take much in I'm afraid. Ugh.