Should I run a half marathon?

I've been talked into doing a half marathon next monday, I train regularly, but have never run more than 8 miles. I did a 12k obstacle run recently which took me just over 2 hours to complete, should I do the half marathon, or put it off until I've put more miles in?? Help

Comments

• Ideally, you'd put it off until you're better prepared but I don't think I did more than eight miles before my first half. It wasn't much fun towards the end but I got round OK and I'd imagine you will too. Definitely don't try and cram in any long runs between now and then though!

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Not sure really... we've no idea how difficult those obstacles were in the 12K, nor do we know how many miles you've been running per week in, say, the last 4 weeks.

On the face of it, it's entirely up to you... obviously not even close to ideal... but you can probably get round ok (just set off very slow and don't speed up!). 

You say you've never run more than 8 miles.. when was the last time you did that?  Could you run 8 miles tonight if asked?  If that wouldn't be TOO big an ask, then personally, I would do exactly that. Slow.  Maybe even do 9 or 10 if you can.  I know some would not recommend that (e.g. the post above!).

It's true that those people might be right... and it's true that your body isn't going to really adapt within a week... but in my opinion, you should have plenty of time to recover...  do a 3 miler on Wednesday, 6 on Friday and rest up for the weekend with a bit more confidence that you can do it on the Monday.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

12k in over two hours?  My answer is same as above answers. When was your 8 mile?  Doing 12k in over two hours makes me think it was a while ago. 

A half marathon is nearly double your 12k....are you prepared to be on your feet for nearly double the time???

• The 12k was an Iron run,  running crawling swimming cross country, lots of stop start waiting for others to do the obstacles, hence it taking 2 hrs. I can run 10k just under 60 mins. I average about 12 miles a week running and 20 miles cycling.

thanks for advice, will have a go, and just take it steady!

• I made my decision to run a half when I could fairly comfortably run 10 miles at a pace of 9:15 min per mile. If you can run 10 then the crowd and adrenaline will always get you through the final 3.1 miles. 

You are fairly close to the HM date though so unless you have already ran further than 8 miles I would say go for it but go really slow. This is your 1st HM so you will get a PB guaranteed. Dont do what everyone else does and sprint off at the start, take it slow and see if you can speed up in the second half, bearing in mind the last 2 miles are tough!

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Just do it.

If you're running and cycling that distance in a week then you're more than capable of doing a half. 

Which one is it?

• Milton Keynes, so not too hilly I believe!

• Do it. If you can run 10km in an hour and are mananging the mileage and cycling you state you will be fine. Just take it steady

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Do it. And have fun.

• NayanNayan ✭✭✭

Run it easy, enjoy the day and don't worry about time. Talk a walk break if you have to.

• Do it and be awesome. If its tough, just do more training next time.

• Success, first half marathon completed, I ran it in 2hrs 24, and ran the whole thing. The last mile really hurt, but the crowd got me through, will definitley  train properly next time....thanks for the advice ????

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Well done - that's a great result for a first half.

When's the next one?image

• Can't think past dinner at the mo....but will  definitely do another, been bitten by the running bug!!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The first race I ever did was a half Marathon. After 17 weeks of rubbish (it seemed) injury strewn training. Longest run 9 miles.

Still ran 1:28:33 having run the first two miles in 15:45. 

🙂

• Nessie73Nessie73 ✭✭✭

Well done Estelle image