Garmin connect website update

I have heard that Garmin will be FINALLY updating their 'Garmin connect' website....something that is in desperate need. Back in Jan 2014 they said it would come in Qtr 1, however nothing yet?....anyone got any clue as to when it will happen......

Comments

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

It's been getting lots of little updates over the last few months. At least it seems that way to me, gradually becoming more reliable on things like tablets, so I can now edit on my ipad without it crashing each time i want to give a run a proper name and add extra info about the run.

• Hi there. On the following link garmin referred to a major make over which is what I was eluding to: http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2014/01/ces-announcement-garmin-connect-redesign-.html#.Uz3IdSe9KSM

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I know image

i just think their major update and other peoples major update might be two different things. 

• It feels like Garmin have just taken their foot off the gas.....

Notwithstanding the expected revamp of the GC website....previous working functions have stopped working......almost 6 weeks now that the "split times" don't show when comparing 2 or more activities....a function that I used a lot and miss image

I hope the website revamp is soon and half decent.....when I bought my 610 almost 2 years ago Garmin were way ahead of the pack.....now Adidas, Polar, Strava etc etc seem equal if not better......I've opted not to buy a 620 because of no cycling function....and as a result bought a Mio 505HC instead of an Edge 810.

am now getting fed up of waiting....and so many other manufacturers with better user interfaces and websites.....might be time to get off the Garmin bandwagon ?

• They are migrating people over in stages. It looks to me like they are doing it for accounts using certain devices first. I assume this is to ensure compatibility of certain features for certain models and troubleshoot/fix issues as they go along.

I can assure you that its no easy task with the amount of complex data they have to deal with multiplied by the number of users. I think they are taking the cautious approach with good reason.

And lets not forget, GC is a free service. You pay for your device, its not like you pay a subscription to use it. All of the major fitness data services like Endomondo, Strava etc all support your Garmin data but most of them charge to use the premium services. Some of which seem to be coming for free in GC within the update.

Nothing is perfect nor is it going to please everyone!

I'm really excitied about it but patiently awaiting my turn to try it out!

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    The Edmondo/Strava import seems to be what they're trying to stop. So they can directly compete with them. mapmyrun will import files but not en masse as far as I'm aware.

There are apps around that will transfer your data automatically.

I think that's really a backward step but maybe I'm wrong and that's not what their aim is. Surely they would sell more devices if the transfer protocol was seamless and open for app developers.

The more I think about it the more I can't understand why they would do this and the more I think I've got it wrong.
  • gosh...if that is the case then it does look like a "step back" for Garmin.

Nike+ also have that "walled garden" mentality", and it seems counter productive in the long run....trying to lock people in........the reason to upload to Strava is because Strava is better......so surely the solution for Garmin is to make GC better than Strava ...and allow import/export data.....The free version of Stava is more than adequate.....

Polar V800 is due out soon....if the Polar Flow website also looks half decent then I could be temped to switch camps.....shame Garmin can't advise or update people more specifically when the new GC will be available other than what was originally said "end of 1st quarter"...which was a week ago

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    I suspect I'm wrong because I can't see it on the developer site anywhere. I'm sure it came up as an information banner when I went to GC. Maybe they were just saying the old plugin will no longer work. Maybe the delay is making sure all the developers using the plugin are up and running first.
  • Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭

I was wrong. This is what I saw it was just saying the new Garmin Express

Garmin Forum

• I hear what you are saying Matty about the on-line service being free...however when you are paying 'top dollar' for a GPS watch, I think you should to an extent expect this. Don't get me wrong I still thing the garmin forerunner range is the best out there...it is just a shame that they announce what looks like a really good upgrade on their site in Garmin connect, only to disappoint with the roll out....come on Garmin!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Errr... Take a look today the new Garmin site has finally arrived.... Yikes!! 

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Actually, it's err the same stuff in boxes image with a bit of info about the device instead of going separately to Garmins normal site for the device info image 

• Tim R2-T2Tim R2-T2 ✭✭✭
    Mine hasn't changed yet.
  • booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Take a look on the homepage is there a link top right hand corner you can click on that says modern.  Just to tease you...

/members/images/712846/Gallery/garmin.jpg

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I think they are taking the piss I got an email tonight saying I am a power user so can I try the new interface, I guess that means I've got an expensive watch image 

• nope still not for me yet....maybe its because I still have the 610 and they are only upgrading the 620'ers!image image

• Uploaded Garmin Express and that seems OK but I can't see anything on Garmin Connect Modern at all. Sticking with the Classic i.e. old version unless anyone has any bright ideas??

• Nothing for me yet! I've got the 220 but still nothing, no switch to modern. Still looking forward to it though!

• I've gotten mine now. It looks very flashy, its modern, and its properly responsive.

But alas, no new features I could make out so far.

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Nope just a 'prettier' GUI, that on my iPad now means it's really easy to delete an entry image hehe poor garmin damned if they do, damned if they don't. 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

I use a 220 and have just been been upgraded. Haven't test-driven it yet though.

I don't use social media and I prefer a plain and fast website to one that's fancy but slow and full of "tweet this" and "digg that" and "update my faceache status" and other fripperies.

• I use a 410 and still no update.  Its all just going backwards for us 410 users, splits no longer work, "paused" time no longer gets ignored in average splits and my watch decides I'm running random paces when i'm not actually moving and the watch hasnt actually started.

Garmin just seem to take forever to do anything, I'd seriously consider moving to another provider when i get a new watch.  I just want something easy that happy exports automatically to other sites (fetch/runhub/runKeeper etc)

• Why have they thrown away the Dashboard? I lost the VO2 max feature altogether.

and then there are the bits they haven't got around to yet, like personal records.

• No update for 610 yet.
  • MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Hmmm. Initial impressions of the whizzy new interface not that positive, tbh. Too many fancy bits that I used to ignore but are now in my face. All I want is to log my run and tot up my mileage, and that's it. Maybe it'll grow on me.

• I've recovered a little. I've found the dashboard, and now you can choose what it shows by setting up each box and dragging it around.

So my front page now, the "Sports Tab" has: The last activity, my VO2 Max, calories and distance so far this week and the list of all activities. I have a separate Planning tab and an Others tab.

The new format does work better for tablets and phones.

• The one thing I use most on Garmin Connect are the reports, primarily to tot up my cumulative mileage month-to-date and year-to-date for my running and cycling but it appears they've done away with the numbers, left us with just bar charts and have taken away the option for us to use custom dates on reporting.

To have an option of 7 days, 4 wks, 6 or 12 mths is ridiculous.

Am I making a fuss?  What does everyone else thing?

EDIT - ignore me, have just seen they've updated it again and they've put custom dates back in image

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

Website is painfully slow.

• come on Garmin, I am still waiting...when are you updating for the 610 users!?

• I use a 610 too.  It is at the upper end of Garmin's range - surprising we seem to be receiving such low priority.  Or maybe there still working on all the extras we'll get? image