running up and down or on flat, which is easier

my running route involves going down, then up, then down and up again for the final leg. i do this route because its near my house, but i do find the last leg particuarly challenging as its going up. 

its also hard to gage my time, would i be faster on a totally flat route??

the downhill bits are easier, but is flat better?

Comments

• This is a joke right?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

The flat is faster (you lose more on the uphills than you gain on the downhills)...  but the hilly route is better training.

Like everything, it's good to get variety too... so get some fast flat runs in too occasionally...  but your current main route sounds great to me.

• it isnt exactly hilly, but even just a small gradient can make a big difference to how tired i feel. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

running up hills is easier

• this isnt a stupid question.

obviously going uphill is tough, but you also go downhill which is so easy, so maybe it balances out as the same as running flat?

• Nose NowtNose Nowt ✭✭✭

Didn't I just give you the answer to that?

• Er - is there any reason you can't do the route in reverse?

That way the final leg is downhill not uphill. It means you have to run that bit at the beginning which is a good warm up.

I live in an undulating area so I do it all the time.

• Emily3 wrote (see)

this isnt a stupid question.

obviously going uphill is tough, but you also go downhill which is so easy, so maybe it balances out as the same as running flat?

Cmon Emily.

Lets at least attempt to use some of the old brain matter. I mean seriously I dont want to offend but there are primary school children who would know the answer to this.

If going up and down was faster than going on a flat surface, dont you think the Olympics would create a 400m track that was constantly going up and down so they could create more world records?

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

Emily: The hills are good for you image if you only learn to run on the flat then when you do eventually come across hills they seem hard work, so it's good that you incorporate them in your every day running.

As you surmise go slower up them, try to do it at about the same perceived effort level. So put the same effort in that you do for running on the flat maybe just a touch more, and you will get up them just a bit slower image but building up the muscles it will get easier and easier over time.

• Dont forget emily when running downhill if you put both hands above your head and shout weeeee at the top of your voice you go much quicker