Running Bras and Chafing

Hello,

Looking for some recommendations from the ladies of this forum. I am sure this has been covered a gazillion times before but I thought I would start again!

The issue I am currently having bra wise is good old chafing. Once I am over 8 miles, I can kiss goodbye to all the skin under my boobs where the band of my bra is. I have tried both Nike and Shock Absorbers, literally covered myself in body glide/vaseline and even KY Jelly. Still happens.

After London this year I had to go bra-less every where for 3 days as anything touching the raw bit was agony! 

Obviously a good running bra isn't cheap, so I can't afford to keep buying bras to try out for one run, as then they have my skin on them and can't return them! Any recommendations of a good bra that doesn't do this, or ways to stop this happening PLEASE?!

Comments

• I use  shock absorbers and have never had a problem. I wonder if you need it to be tighter? I know I wear my sports bra tighter than a normal bra - might be if it is loose then it is shifting around and rubbing?

Using sudocrem after on the sore skin will help the healing

• I did think this after a shock absorber I was wearing chafed. Went down a size, it still rubbed and I nearly passed out running up a hill as I couldnt get a lung full of air the bra was so tight!! Gutted as they are so comfy and dont make me look like a boy!

Oh yes, Sudocrem is my friend image thinking of buying shares I am getting through so much of it!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Have you gotten yourself fitted for a running bra? They offer this service in some running shops and other places I think. Might be worthwhile as you seem to have a real problem with it.

I, like mathschick wear a shock absorber and have never had problems with chafing. Sometimes it cuts into my sides a bit as I've gotten fatter but that's my fault.

• Well, hoping the cheese grater look is in for the summer...

I was fitted in a local running shop after I tried the smaller shock absorber, and came out being recommended as the same size/style as the one I could hardly breathe in that chafed.

I am not a massive sweater (well not like some people have seen!) but I just can't seem to stop it happening! Thinking of resorting to duct taping under the band!

My mum had the same cutting in problem with her shock absorber as well, the upper arm pit bit was chafe city... the best bit is getting in the shower without realising it's there... NOT!

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Have you got big boobs, Harriet? I'm imagining not, if you are worried about looking like a boy. In which case, if you are smaller than a B-cup, you may find you can get away with a much less hardcore running bra than a shock absorber. Something like this:

http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/x-back-training-sports-bra/pid-1471215/pgid-1067243

or even http://store.nike.com/gb/en_gb/pd/pro-sports-bra/pid-872831/pgid-515504

which are cheaper if you shop around and don't tend to chafe as much.

• Yep, I feel your pain, Harriet. I have a heart rate monitor strap which I wear Underneath my bra strap which I actually found better - it only chafes after 15 miles, rather than about 8 for the bra strap. Unfortunately Garmin have now "improved" the design of their heart rate monitor strap and the new one chafes much worse than the old! I used to have a sports bra from M&S that zipped up at the front, where the band seemed to sit higher on my chest and so didn't cause problems, but can't get that any more either. Sorry, no helpful advice there!

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

+1 for getting your size checked, cup as well as band size, If everything has the same issue, then maybe you just need to look again at sizing, Also common sense ensure the top straps at the back on the shock absorber aren't to loose so they are supporting you.

• Thanks so far ladies image glad to see I'm not the only one that suffers!

Literatin - they a lot smaller thanks to bloody running! The second link is similar to the Nike one I wear now, read on an American thread about turning them inside out, so might try this for my long run on Sunday!

Hellsbells7 - I didn't even bother when I saw the HRM strap of my polar! I think I would rather run with a moulinex under my bra!! I did see a bra in runners world a few months ago that a built in bit to stick your HRM in so you didn't need the strap... clever stuff!

Also lots of recommendations for Moving Comfort - anyone got any experience of these?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I have two like that but the one with slightly slimy-feeling fabric is better than the matt more cotton-like one. Only occasional chafing on a long run and very hot day, though - and much less than the more upholstered bras for the larger-chested lady.

I haven't used moving comfort but I suspect a lot of the bra recommendations on here are for/from women who really need support. I do have some of their shorts though from a sweatshop sale and am not that impressed with them - too much emphasis on girly style and not enough on producing shorts that bloody well stay up when you move.

• Hmmm, at nearly £40 a bra I might give them a miss then! I understand why they make things look nice, but practicality should always come first! Luckily for me, I tend to miss out on the pink/flowery/pretty kit designs - at 6ft3 most womens kit is a little on the short side for me - apart from Ron Hill who cuts there shorts so I don't go all 'camel' and their shorts are long enough that I don't get a bit 'cheeky'! If only they made bras!

• Have you looked at sports jock bras?

http://www.sportjockbras.com/

I like sport jock bars apart from the fact they are pull on and off.They use a softer cotton feel fabric.

I find my shock absorber bras are ok and then after a period of time as they wear out they just start chaffing  (Usually just before a marathon).  Then I replace it.

Might also be worth hand washing in a non bio washing powder. (Which what the manufacturers recommend.)

• Haven't heard of these, thanks - will give them a look image

• I know - it is ridiculous. However, its a plus for spectators - during marathons it makes me a lot easier to spot!

• You have my sympathy, I struggle a lot with chafage on anything over 6 miles.  The only bra that I have found to be less 'chafey' is the Enelle from Less Bounce.  The website (Less Bounce) is fantastic and they do free returns - you can also phone them to discuss the fit of the bra which is so helpful.

Unfortunately for me, being the larger variety of lady, I chafe quite badly when its hot and during longer distance.  For my half marathons I used body glide with a large handful of vaseline over the top on the chafing bits under the bust.  Under the arm area (just where the seam is) I used big patches of fabric sticking plaster and that worked a treat - buy the stuff you have to cut to size yourself, the adhesive is better.

Hope this helps and good luck.

• I was also interested but I must say that with the Shockabsorber it seems to be OK. I am also over 6ft tall and I smiled when I read about your short problem. I will look into the Ron Hill if you say they are a little longer than normal. I always feel a bit well... naked with a short on image Which model are you wearing?

As far as the heart rate monitor, I just bought the Mio LINK recently. NO cheststrap. Great stuff and way more accurate than the cheststraps. Pairing to the Garmin/Polar like a breeze. Excellent. Maybe another thought for us girlies image

• Beth Roberts - just looked up that bra... oh my! It looks like a boob version of a straight jacket! Does it not get terribly hot in all that material!

RunningMax - I'm rocking the Ronhill Ladies Aspiration Contour Short - AW13. I got them from Wiggle in March time in the sale. I like Ronhill as I find it that bit longer in the body bit so the waist isnt sat in an annoying place on my hips. Room for my love handles! The legs are probs around mid thigh so perfect for me, as most womens shorts I find a bit close to areas I dont want to expose!

• I have just brought very cheap £4 ones from Tesco and have no trouble at all. they are soft cotton, Medium support

• New here, Hi image  I have a larger bust and the Enell has been the only thing I can run comfortably in.  It has a very wide band round it and I haven't had any bother with moment, but it IS like a straight jacket and is so tight I think it could barely move to chafe.    

Many many years ago I used to wear the Dansez minimal bounce bra for exercise (dancing, running) and found it incredibly comfortable and supportive.

• Thanks Harriet, I will look into those!

• Thanks again for the recommendations ladies. I have come to the conclusion bra designers must be men.

• LOL, think you must be right Harriet.

As for the Enell, yes, it is a bit straight jacket like, but to be honest, it's the only thing that can keep the girls in check!! image  It does get a bit hot, but I don't really have many other options so just keep going with that one - like you, I can't afford to be buying loads of different ones to try.

Tried a Shock absorber before I found the Enell (had it professionally fitted at bravissimo) and it ripped me to pieces on a 9 mile run - not very pleasant.

• Glad to see I'm not the only one that was shredded by a Shock Absorber. I thought I must just have odd girls that were being rebels so good to hear I'm not the only one!

Showed my OH a picture of the Enell... he stopped laughing once he realised I wasn't joking!

• You might not be so far off with the duct tape suggestion. I've never found a bra that doesn't chafe eventually, so I put a line of wide micropore or physio tape across the area that rubs. Problem solved.

• I know that this conversation chain is over a year old but I am sure that lots of women runners still continue to have problems with their sports bras.

I went out for a 13-miler on Saturday. Came back with really bad chafing despite liberal amounts of vaseline. I have been running for years (since mid 1980s) so I have tried most sports bras - including trick of wearing two at a time.

Need to buy a new one but, as others have said, cant afford to keep buying bras that chafe. I have tried Shock Absorbers but find that they pull my shoulders together too much.

Has anyone discovered a bra that holds everything in place but doesn't chafe when things get hot?